Griffin Audio Splitter Cable for Algoriddim djay - Question mono/stereo output?

The Griffin Cable is recommended by Algoriddim as it allows pre cueing and main output. Not sure though if the Main Output would be mono only?
Any tips - or info on Stereo output splitter cables
Thanks in advance

Comments

• It’s stereo same as the output from the laptop. Also, I used the Traktor split cable and it works great and is way cheaper.

• I am a bit confused here. If you want pre-cue and main out, yes it would need to be Mono main output in this type of setup. And the splitter would need to be a L-R splitter not a stereo splitter. This griffin splitter in your screenshot is a stereo splitter and it would not allow you to pre-cue because it sends both L-R channels to each split.

• edited June 5

@DCJ said:
    It’s stereo same as the output from the laptop. Also, I used the Traktor split cable and it works great and is way cheaper.

@DCJ cheers for info. So are each of the two outs Stereo Outs ..or mono per each of the 2 Outs. Also does the Traktor one work with Algoriddim Djay..I guess it does but double checking.

• @Hmtx said:
    I am a bit confused here. If you want pre-cue and main out, yes it would need to be Mono main output in this type of setup. And the splitter would need to be a L-R splitter not a stereo splitter. This griffin splitter in your screenshot is a stereo splitter and it would not allow you to pre-cue because it sends both L-R channels to each split.

@Hmtx I need you to be sure :-) iam joking. Basically if I play a track to the output will the Stereo track loose either the left or right signal or do each of the outs pre cue & main out carry a stereo signal.

• edited June 5

hmm, well physical limits of a stereo headphone jack are pretty sure so I’m just going off that. The only way a pre-cue / Main output setup can work over 3.5mm headphone output is when you are running in Mono. The DJ app send the pre-cue track to left and the main out to Right. (Or vis-a-versa)

Of course, If you want stereo you can do it on iOS but you need a USB audio interface that can output 4 lanes of audio so you have L-R for house and a separate L-R for your headphones and pre-cue. And your DJ app will need to be able to handle the routing and setup.

• edited June 5

@stormbeats said:
    ...do each of the outs pre cue & main out carry a stereo signal.

Nope.

@Hmtx is right. For dual stereo you'll need an external audio interface.

https://help.algoriddim.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014911991-Preview-a-song-through-headphones-Pre-Cueing-

https://help.algoriddim.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014703112-Pre-cueing-with-external-audio-devices

• Well I guess I’m just hearing everything completely wrong in my setup! Ignore me. :)

• Yeah, I have the official dJay splitter cable from years ago and that's stereo to dual mono as well. A major downside of these types of splitters, but unavoidable given what they are doing.

• @DCJ said:
    Well I guess I’m just hearing everything completely wrong in my setup! Ignore me. :)

Maybe not. A stereo splitter cable can connect two stereo destinations, but to have a separate cueing channel in stereo you'll need an extra audio interface.

• Cheers everyone Gonna try a 4 lane audio soundcard. Really getting into this iOS DJ stuff. My MAC messed up at a gig last week. Had my ipad as backup and managed to do a good gig. Powerful stuff indeed.

• @Hmtx said:
    hmm, well physical limits of a stereo headphone jack are pretty sure so I’m just going off that. The only way a pre-cue / Main output setup can work over 3.5mm headphone output is when you are running in Mono. The DJ app send the pre-cue track to left and the main out to Right. (Or vis-a-versa)

Of course, If you want stereo you can do it on iOS but you need a USB audio interface that can output 4 lanes of audio so you have L-R for house and a separate L-R for your headphones and pre-cue. And your DJ app will need to be able to handle the routing and setup.

@Hmtx cheers for all the above info.

• No worries.
    by the way if your DJ app works in Audiobus 3 as an IAA source then you might actually be able to get by with a standard stereo interface with only 2 outputs. Audiobus 3 can create multi-routing so separate outputs (hint: your pre-cue) can be sent to the headphone jack while the USB interface is used for the main stereo out. That might be worth a try if you have a 2-channel interface. I’ve never used this feature but it might be possible.

• @Hmtx said:
    No worries.
    by the way if your DJ app works in Audiobus 3 as an IAA source then you might actually be able to get by with a standard stereo interface with only 2 outputs. Audiobus 3 can create multi-routing so separate outputs (hint: your pre-cue) can be sent to the headphone jack while the USB interface is used for the main stereo out. That might be worth a try if you have a 2-channel interface. I’ve never used this feature but it might be possible.

@Hmtx will try this thanks again :)