Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DIY midi foot switch controller

edited June 2019 in Other

With the new IOS update it is possible to connect a normal AZERTY / QWERTY USB keyboard to iPad?
I need a foot midi switch controller to send midi CC but I don’t want to pay for a blueboard or wathever.
A second hand keyboard is easy to find and cheap.
On computer is easy to do but for IOS?
One exemple https://synthtopia.com/content/2018/10/09/how-to-make-a-diy-foot-switch-controller-from-an-old-usb-computer-keyboard/
Thx

Comments

• edited June 2019

If the keyboard has class-compliant USB MIDI then you can connect it to the iPad via Camera Connection Kit.
    Or attach a Bluetooth MIDI dongle to the keyboard and connect to the iPad via BT.
    Some controller keyboards already have pedal and footswitch inputs, otherwise you'd have to diy connect the footswitch wires to keyboard switches/pads the way you want them.

• Look at the sidecar app from secret base design.

• @Hkor your example from synthtopia can be used currently in iOS 12. Just plug that USB keyboard in to a USB Lightning adapter and it will work.

There are setbacks. A connected keyboard only sends keystroke data to the current foreground app. So you need an app like sidecar that stays in foreground and converts the keystrokes to MIDI for other apps.

• Thanks a lot I will check SIDECAR.
    Im not a big fan of Bluetooth to be honest.
    My config is oriented for live act so I prefere wire connection. It works or it doesn’t works.
    Bluetooth, WiFi ... I think is not a solid and secure solution for live situation.

• Do you think is possible to do this with @brambos Mozaic?

• Mozaic supports foot pedals, but not keyboards as inputs at the moment.

• @Hkor said:
    Thanks a lot I will check SIDECAR.
    Im not a big fan of Bluetooth to be honest.
    My config is oriented for live act so I prefere wire connection. It works or it doesn’t works.
    Bluetooth, WiFi ... I think is not a solid and secure solution for live situation.

If you are putting together a live rig, I would say it is worth the cost of a hardware MIDI foot pedal, even something like this USB MIDI pedal
    https://www.amazon.com/Line-FBV-Express-4-button-Controller/dp/B002GYWBKU

• You can also program an Arduino compatible Micro Controller to send Midi CC. I use a Teensy LC and soldered some instrument sockets to it and placed it in a box. Now I can use any normal footswitch to send midi CC.

• @chickilol said:
    You can also program an Arduino compatible Micro Controller to send Midi CC. I use a Teensy LC and soldered some instrument sockets to it and placed it in a box. Now I can use any normal footswitch to send midi CC.

Do you have some details? I’m trying to make my own avoiding programming the most I can using opendeck firmwares to make the arduino directly a midi kit... but flashing usb serial and firmware using programming headers but I get stuck due my lack of terminal skills etc...
    https://github.com/paradajz/OpenDeck/wiki/Flashing-the-OpenDeck-firmware

If I can do it with regular sketch (using 5 pin midi is ok) I will appreciate the help...

• I also found this but again it needs reflashing and even more pieces involved (wifi, bluetooth...) makes it more daunting than opendeck...
    https://hackaday.io/project/156332-pedalino

I will end trashing my old roland fc100 mk2 parts (I cannibalized it) and just going for Nektar Pacer. I hate flashing chips and code programming so badly and midi kits are so expensive that I could buy the Pacer directly and avoid all this headache.