Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Focusrite iTrack Dock

Comments

• To further explain, the main issue I'm having with the iTrack is the random and intermittent disconnection problem I previously queried in this thread back on August 3. It was also mentioned by users Corsair and Michael_R_Grant in mid August. Actually it was their posts which led me to return it, as prior to that I had thought it was perhaps just some apps or a particular config issue that freaked it out. But it was disconnecting so often and sometimes even displaying a 'device not supported' message that I was having a lot of doubts by the time Corsair commented.

So, I sent it off to Focusrite's Australian distributor and supplied them with a screenshot taken within NLog (a very stable app) showing the 'device not supported' message. After a few weeks they got back to me via the original retailer saying the device has no issues. The retailer has offered me a refund... minus 25% as it's 'used'. That equates to $AUD75, not exactly a small sum. Obviously I rejected this proposal and the retailer is getting in touch with Focusrite UK to try and deregister the iTrack Dock so they can sell it again as new and give me a full refund. Make of that what you will.

A little more back story - I also bought the Dock with a Samson Graphite M25 for $AUD100. As I mentioned in another thread, this is one of the many MIDI controllers which should but doesn't work with the Dock. I wore that on the chin - you live and learn and maybe I can still get some use out of it anyway.

But given its unexplained MIDI problems, its propensity to cook your iPad and my experience outlined here, I have to say the iTrack Dock is a great concept that Focusrite has yet to properly execute.

It's easily my least recommended iOS music hardware or software. And this is from someone who bought a Line 6 Mobile In!

• Regarding the Akai MPK mini mk1 vs mk2 issue - with the iPad CCK, the mk2 requires an extra USB hub between the keys and the iPad while the mk1 does not. Personally I use a powered hub to save the iPad's battery from powering the mk2, but I've read that you can use an unpowered hub as well. The reason for this is that Apple limited the acceptable power output that a USB device can draw from the iPad - the mk2 requires a bit more than the mk1 which trips a message and a lockout. Apparently, the non-powered hub just "tricks" the iPad into not knowing what's connected.

Anyways, I came here looking to see if my Akai MPK mini mk2 would work with the iTrack without trickery and break points and I guess the answer is no. Thanks for posting! Hopefully my post helps someone.

On another note - what's the best dock for what I want to do? My requirements:
    1) Charge/maintain the charge on an iPad Air with lightning connector.
    2) Work with Animoog, Sunrizer, Arctic Keys
    3) USB midi supporting the power requirements of the Akai MPK mini mk2
    4) Audio/ Mic ins for guitar and/or microphone
    5) Bonus - midi in/out/through DINs

• I have the mk2 and use it with an unpowered hub. And I have pretty much the same requirements in regard of the interface. Although I don't necessarily need the dock.

• The M-Audio Axiom Air 25 works fine with the iTrack dock. Even handles an expression pedal into ToneStack.
    One bit of weirdness: if I plug a non-compliant keyboard into the midi in on the Axiom the Focusrite does not pass it through. But if I plug the Axiom in via a CCK, and power it with a 9 volt adapter, the old kbd works just fine. Focusrite support seemed interested and promised to check it out.

• edited November 2014

I'm with qaratechop and a few others...intermittent power issues. I've taken video of it, it will just randomly pop and disconnect, with the power light flashing on and off. Sometime, but not always, I get the "device not supported" message- that seems most common with IK apps, like VocalLive and Sampletank. Otherwise it just craps out and I have to power cycle it. I'm on my third...waiting for the newest one to arrive from the source, with the hope/assumption that the two I've tried were from the same batch and had the same flaw.

video is at youtube...watch?v=GMrpjlEIRh4

I'm curious if this thing has any firmware that could be updated, or is this simply a hardware issue/quality control issue?

• edited November 2014

@MoogLee said:

I'm on my third...waiting for the newest one to arrive from the source, with the hope/assumption that the two I've tried were from the same batch and had the same flaw.

I think it has to do with the spec. They use a particular method in order to power it, and ya know I don't think it works. LOL

I have one and it does this. And I think they probably all do. Mind you, the only other device that powers also is the Apogee brand. I had the One for iPad and sold it as it was squirrely also.

I'm just not optimistic. Don' you wonder why other brands don't do the USB Audio+power thing?

But I actually won't use anything else as the alternative of having the battery drain while i'm watching is so not happening i'll put up with anything.

It's funny though. While we power all sorts of things with batteries so we are not tethered, with the iPad even if you want to be tethered you can't.

At this point the fact they haven't fixed this borders on incompetence. They could solve this by using an optical chip for the headphone jack as a workaround if needed.

• One more frustrated iTrack Dock purchaser here. No dice on recognizing any of the synths or controllers I've tried, including: KORG Kontrol49, KORG Micro-X, Akai LPK25, M-Audio Venom, an old M-Audio MK-425C Evolution and several others. Granted, none of them are on the list of supported devices and I know a few tend to use proprietary drivers, but I even purchased the iConnectivity Mio MIDI/USB cable as suggested previously and couldn't get anything to work with that, either. I didn't even try the audio connections as I couldn't justify the price when half the needed functionality wasn't there. Maybe the unit was defective, but regardless I had to send it back and I think I'll wait on the Griffin StudioConnect HD in the hopes that they get it (mostly) right.

• edited November 2014

Maybe in the next version Focusrite will use regular midi ports, like they probably should have.

Then again, regular midi ports will not power a controller. M-Audio Oxygens work, as do my Acorn controllers, and Alesis (I haven't tried these in a while so don't hold me to this).

Note: Those items you posted are probably slightly non-standard. You would think that at least the Kontrol49 would work, but it must be a little non-standard, as the Akia LPK25 must also be? (the mind boggles LOL )

• You may be right...in the meantime, my $5 CCK from eBay works well enough with any of my USB controllers and I have the older Griffin StudioConnect, as well. I can afford to wait for a little while to see what else shows up...or perhaps Focusrite will figure things out! Thanks to everyone for your helpful comments in this thread.

• Had the iTrack Dock since June. Never had a power problem with a couple hours a day 4 or 5 days a week use. Air, AT2020 and SM57 mic, Axiom Air 25, guitar, headphones and monitors. Guess I lucked into a good one

• edited November 2014

It was my intention to gift myself this unit but I am not willing to buy something that has generated so many negative comments, So my question is has anything changed for the better with this dock? or is there a different better solution with this form factor on the horizon?
    If "Anne" would care to reply to my question please state if you have a conflict of interest Re. Focusrite before contributing because your strange interference on this conversation up to this point has not impressed me.

• I couldn't resist and took a gamble. So far it seems ok. I've only really had one session with it, which was pretty much all day on Sunday, about 10 hrs in total.

Audio sounds good, line in and out work. Not tried the XLRs or the instrument I/p yet.

No power glitches or anything Iike that. Charges my iPad mini 2 no problem.

MIDI works well with my £4.99 USB to DIN adaptor, into my esi m8u xl MIDI interface. I've got it connected to Cubase and can route MIDI round my hardware from the iPad and vice versa.

I've got it connected so the iPad gets fed a stereo output from Cubase, the main mix from my hardware and VSTs. A few MIDI tracks from Cubase drive lOS synths and these are fed via Audiobus along with the iTrack, into Auria. The output from the iTrack is then routed back through my hardware mixer and onto a stereo track in Cubase for recording/monitoring.

• izoizo
    edited November 2014

my behringer fcb1010 works perfectly with my itrack dock.

Setup: ipad mini 2/Itrack dock/ ESI MIDIMATE II midi-usb cable/ behringer fcb1010/ 5pin midi cabel/ roland pc-200 keyboard.

After reading this topic i was really amazed when everything worked just fine after plugging it all in.

• Has anyone had any success with using the Fishman Triple Play guitar midi controller with the Itrack Dock?

• edited December 2014

Update

Some unusual behavior. Tried hooking up a Alesis Q49 with no luck. I then tried it with MidiBridge and it worked after a few on/offs, etc.

Point is, you might want to try Midibrige and fiddling. I didn't think it was going to work. Usually, it's plug&play or not. But apparently not so with this.

• @izo How come it works for you but an earlier post says otherwise. I'm interested on hooking up the fcb1010 to the Itrack dock but don't want to spend $200 on a paperweight.

• I bought itrack. I use an Alesis q49. The keyboard is not working via usb to itrack. Change the keyboard with a Novation sl mkii. Same issue. They replace my itrack with a new one. Still the same. Is not working via usb cable. Am I doing something wrong?

• No, the MIDI is very inconsistent indeed between units. :( On my third one, and it doesn't work. But I've held onto the Dock for its guitar and mic inputs, which are very good.

• @Korgious contact FocusRite support. The Alesis Q49 is a supported keyboard.

http://us.focusrite.com/answerbase/contact

• They replace my first iTrack with other. Same shit. Plug and pray (not play) ....my patience and my lost time....and my money.

• Too much contact...will kill me...losing my beautiful time

• Checking again again...same issue. I think that this thing doen't want to co operate with midi keyboard. I tested with Novation sl mk ii. Same issue.

I see @Nubus that he has also tries to use it....''after a few on off"....?????....it;s not a vintage car man !!!

• edited December 2014

I know Korgious. But there isn't a whole lot of options for the iPad for what it does.

After all though, it's partly Apple's fault for the weird connection.

Another thing mine does is occasionally just shut off for a few seconds. It even show the "iTrack connected now" dialog when it reconnects, and it happens rather often. This disconnect is so short that I haven't thrown it out of the window.....yet.

But it charges. I'll put up with the weirdness as it charges.

I have the nice Griffin Studioconnect, but the iTrack powers my USB keyboard that I use most, which only can be powered by USB, which the Griffin can't do.

Also, I found that I'm not hugely fond of the way the iTrack looks with anything but a Mini. It looks right with the Mini, but looks a bit too retro with the larger iPad. Not a big deal, but a big deal LOL

So what they need to do, is fix it. Then make another size option. (in that order) : )

• Monday I will return it and take my money back (hopefully). 2 itrack docs in 10 working days and no satisfaction. I should buy Roland's Quad Capture. I would buy Alesis ioDock, but I have lightning iPad 3rd Gen and I don't want to mess around with extra connectors. Now I do my job with a camera connection kit. It's not bad, if you want to use it as a stand alone. It's not the same, off course if itrack would work perfectly...i use all the magic through Focusrite converters. But ...it is only a dream for me. For guitarists it is not. Fully unsatisfied.

• GC has the Q49 on sale for $60 so I picked one up. Can not get it work with the iTtack even tried it with a power adapter. Works fine with the CCK so it's something with the Dock. My dock works fine with an M-Audio Axiom Air 25... Some combination of Alesis and Focusrite is hosed.

Taking back the Q49.

• I really love the Itrack dock, it's quite excellent.
    I have had 2 now however as the first became faulty. My 2nd seems fine though so far.

Have had some strange audio signal noise when using it with an iPad mini.
    The air seems more compatible for some reason as there is no strange signal noises with that unit?

• edited December 2014

@TedBPhx said:

GC has the Q49 on sale for $60 so I picked one up. Can not get it work with the iTtack even tried it with a power adapter. Works fine with the CCK so it's something with the Dock. My dock works fine with an M-Audio Axiom Air 25... Some combination of Alesis and Focusrite is hosed.

Taking back the Q49.

I got a Q49 working by using Midibridge. Out of the box it didn't work, but when I started Midibridge, you could see the port flashing so I made a connection to an output and it worked. It's odd behavior though, and this perhpas is not consistent behavior, and I'm not sure if it would last, or if it even can be repeated.

• I tried MidiBridge, no luck. In MidiBus I could not even see any events being sent.

• edited December 2014

@TedBPhx said:

I tried MidiBridge, no luck. In MidiBus I could not even see any events being sent.

Yep. I tried Midimonitor first - no events. But then it showed in Midibridge (go figure). But as I recall I may have been using the midi port (don't they have USB and Midi ports, and a power port? - sorry it was about a month ago and only used very briefly)

Typical of this thing. It's a very iffy device IMHO. The USB port shuts on/off every 15 minutes for about 5 seconds and i've got a sneaking suspicion that many of them do this when using the USB controllers.