Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Confirmed: iPadOS 13 includes support for USB mouse input + Xbox One- en PlayStation-controllers

Comments

• I wonder also if it will be possible one day for iPadOS to support touch on external touch monitors like a PC can. That would be great too.

• @Hmtx said:
    This is definitely great news, even if just a step in the right direction. It will be excellent if apps can implement their own cursor design. I’m a huge fan of everything touch-based on iOS, but if I ever want to use an external monitor, the whole mouse input thing will be critical so i think Apple is moving in the right direction here.

Agree. By the time iOS is out you can probably already purchase bluetooth keyboard with touch for iPads.

• @mannix said:
    Agree. By the time iOS is out you can probably already purchase bluetooth keyboard with touch for iPads.

Hmm, I’m not actually that optimistic. With mouse support being an “accessibility” feature, I don’t expect we will see mainstream mouse accessories for iPadOS this year. But if it catches on, I hope Apple gets the message and develops the feature more fully.

• @Samu I shall check.

• No assignability for mousewheel yet ?

• PS4 controller would make an awesome midi controller with buttons, joystick, cc trigers and xy pad.
    Can’t wait to see an app integrating that poping up in the store.
    Any dev out there seeing the potential?

• @Turntablist said:
    No assignability for mousewheel yet ?

that item doesn't exist in Cupertino's view of the universe ... ;)
    (imho one of those rare, yet crucial flaws in their software design)

• @Carnbot said:
    Surface (and Surface go) is growing whereas Mac sales are declining, ipads too, so they have to act.

iPad is okay with the new lineup.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/01/31/ipad-shipments-4q18-strategy-analytics/

Mac sales were down, but way less than the market average. Probably thanks to MS, who’s grabbing market share from their old partners.

My prediction is Mac sales will recover after all the refreshes. Not even counting the Pro later this year.

• Mac and iPad sales declining is most likely to mean that people use their current models much longer. This mirrors my own (anecdotal) experience where I have to replace/upgrade my non-Apple devices much more often than my Macs and iPads which just keep going and going.

• edited June 2019

@brambos said:
    Mac and iPad sales declining is most likely to mean that people use their current models much longer. This mirrors my own (anecdotal) experience where I have to replace/upgrade my non-Apple devices much more often than my Macs and iPads which just keep going and going.

+1

Even my first gen iPad and my first gen retina iPad are still in (daily) use.

On the topic of mouse support: https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/04/ios-mouse-support-accessibility/

• It makes me wonder if it will be possible to use an iPhone as a trackpad for an iPad. Currently there are apps for that functionality between Mac and iOS devices only. Would be pretty cool, I think.

• @Carnbot said:
    I wonder also if it will be possible one day for iPadOS to support touch on external touch monitors like a PC can. That would be great too.

Technically speaking CarPlay is on an external monitor that supports touch. So a lot of the plumbing for that kind of feature is probably already done.

• @Samu

You wrote that Bluetooth mice are supported too - I’m assuming that means the Magic Mouse is supported? It can’t be used over USB because the port is on the bottom. Hoping it is supported as I’ve got an iPad Pro 10.5 and a Magic Mouse that I don’t use much - would be keen to try out the combination.

• @handed said:
    @Samu

You wrote that Bluetooth mice are supported too - I’m assuming that means the Magic Mouse is supported? It can’t be used over USB because the port is on the bottom. Hoping it is supported as I’ve got an iPad Pro 10.5 and a Magic Mouse that I don’t use much - would be keen to try out the combination.

It should be possible to pair any bluetooth mice or keyboards so it should work.
    The 'scroll wheel'(ie. swipe the magic mouse) is not supported yet but I guess that will come too...

All reports are based on the first beta of iOS/iPadOS13 so there's still room for improvement :)

For me personally the mass-storage support is big enough reason to update when it drops.

• @Samu said:

@handed said:
    @Samu

It should be possible to pair any bluetooth mice or keyboards so it should work.
    The 'scroll wheel'(ie. swipe the magic mouse) is not supported yet but I guess that will come too...

All reports are based on the first beta of iOS/iPadOS13 so there's still room for improvement :)

For me personally the mass-storage support is big enough reason to update when it drops.

Awesome, good to know. External storage support is huge. I’ll definitely be updating too. Have to say I’m quite impressed.

Also looking forward to testing a PS4 controller I originally bought for Rocket League on Mac. Haven’t been able to bring myself to buy one of those MFI controllers because I don’t game that much - pleased to know I can use what I already own.

• edited June 2019

@Samu @handed The scroll wheel does work. I have tested with a logitech mouse, and the scroll wheel scrolls. You can also assign multiple buttons. You can even run a Shortcut from a mouse button!

https://www.cultofmac.com/629056/how-to-use-a-mouse-with-your-ipad/

• @Samu said:

@mistercharlie said:

@Samu said:
    Apparently BlueTooth Mice are supported too :)

They are. Just tried it. You can even assign all the buttons on a multi-button mouse.

Cool, have you tried any 'IAA' apps yet?

I suspect they will work just fine so it feels like the 'hysteria' that they will suddenly die with iOS13 seems to be blown out of proportion :)

They work fine, although their icons don’t load in either AUM or AB3. AU app icons don’t show either. This is beta1 after all.

I think people are misunderstanding “deprecated.”

• You can set Safari’s download folder to be AudioShare.

• @mistercharlie said:

I think people are misunderstanding “deprecated.”

Yepp, that's my take on it as well!

OpenGL is also 'deprecated' on iOS and apps still work just fine and many music apps still use OpenGL to render their custom UIs so in short it's more likely 'technology preserved as is for the time being with no more investments in developing it further'.

Overall iOS/iPadOS13 seems to be a very solid update and well worth it...
    (I'll finally be able to move *.wav files from my Zoom H1's SD card to the iPad without computer detour).

It's the same when media blows things out of proportion with iTunes. People fear they will loose their music collection.
    I mean seriously the so called 'tech journalists' of 'non-tech magazines' are nothing more that click-bait generators...

• @mistercharlie said:
    You can set Safari’s download folder to be AudioShare.

Cool!

Is it possible to create folders directly under 'On My iPad' or is there still a need to have an app container for the 'top level folders'?

Have you also installed macOS10.15? (I'm interested in the Finder Integration for sync & management).
    Theoretically 'everything' visible to Files.app (and the rest of the apps 'Documents' folders) on the device should also be visible in the Finder regardless of wired or wireless connection.

It's ok if you don't have it installed, just asking.

• I wonder if ipados will have support for more than 1 audio interface at a time

• @Hansson said:
    I wonder if ipados will have support for more than 1 audio interface at a time

Yeah aggregate devices would be a big win.

• @Samu said:

@mistercharlie said:

Cool!

Is it possible to create folders directly under 'On My iPad' or is there still a need to have an app container for the 'top level folders'?

Have you also installed macOS10.15? (I'm interested in the Finder Integration for sync & management).
    Theoretically 'everything' visible to Files.app (and the rest of the apps 'Documents' folders) on the device should also be visible in the Finder regardless of wired or wireless connection.

It's ok if you don't have it installed, just asking.

At least on iPhone you can create a folder directly under “On my iPhone” probably the same on iPadOS.

• @Samu said:

@mistercharlie said:

Cool!

Yes!

No. My mac is way too old.

• @mistercharlie said:

No. My mac is way too old.

Oki, no worries...

If done properly the iOS Device would pop up as a drive and give access to the content that can be seen with Files.app and a bit more (ie. the iTunes Shared 'Documents' folder for each installed app).

My 'old' MacBook Air Mid 2013 will make but since 'Carbon Support' will be completely removed from macOS10.15 it means that some of my beloved apps such as Renoise will no longer work so I am a bit hesitant to update this time...

Also the 'driver' for my Steinberg UR-242 needs an update since audio-hardware will be treated a bit differently under macOS10.15...(That is unless I just want to use it as a standard Class Compliant Audio Interface and loose some functionality).

The CoreAudio HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) will be replaced with something that is NOT compatible with HAL..
    (I guess this has something to do with the T2 chip that causes mayhem).

But time will tell how things turn out in the end...

• edited June 2019

@brambos said:
    Mac and iPad sales declining is most likely to mean that people use their current models much longer. This mirrors my own (anecdotal) experience where I have to replace/upgrade my non-Apple devices much more often than my Macs and iPads which just keep going and going.

No need to buy new Win hardware anymore. Most old Windows hardware (say from 2012) just needs the slow harddrives replaced with an SSD and runs in most cases buttersmooth again under Win 10. Old Macbooks came standard with SSD which gave them an enourmous headstart. Besides that there was hardly any development in processors till the last 2 years. The 8th gen Intel processors are a huge difference compared to the older ones.

• edited June 2019

@greengrocer said:

@brambos said:

No need to buy new Win hardware anymore. Most old Windows hardware (say from 2012) just needs the slow harddrives replaced with an SSD and runs in most cases buttersmooth again under Win 10. Old Macbooks came standard with SSD which gave them an enourmous headstart. Besides that there was hardly any development in processors till the last 2 years. The 8th gen Intel processors are a huge difference compared to the older ones.

Yes I'm still using my Desktop PC built in 2009 (although I've upgraded the CPU/GPU(s) and some of the harddrives to SSD since then) And it's still fast. so PC hardware can last much longer due to more upgrade possibilities.

• Apple products became so incredible pricey... love their new 1000 display foot though ;)
    Anyways, my Mac is 10 years old. No way I would be able to afford a Mac anytime soon. Sticking to my iPhone 8 as it still works pretty good and I cannot justify a new one for almost 1G.

But since I use my iPad as my computer by now I highly welcome the mouse support even though it looks shitty with this circle thingy

• edited June 2019

If done properly the iOS Device would pop up as a drive and give access to the content that can be seen with Files.app and a bit more (ie. the iTunes Shared 'Documents' folder for each installed app).

@Samu Exactly how it is. There’s also updates to Audio MIDI Setup app, which now allows for easily creating connections between MIDI devices, and a new tab on each device for MIDI capability Inquiry.

Some other random ipadOS features I like so far
    -Screenshot cropping snaps to GUI elements
    -Create folders in Local
    -Screenshots of beta apps have share option to Send Feedback with notes and markup.
    -Assign Shortcuts to Assistive Touch
    - Continuity markup and Sidecar

• @david_2017 said:
    Apple products became so incredible pricey...

Back in the day Macs were far more pricey.