The Biggest Audio News from Today's Apple Event: IAA is deprecated in iPadOS & iOS 13!

Apple is deprecating IAA in iOS 13! 😮
"Inter-App audio is deprecated. Use Audio Units for this functionality moving forward."

Looks like non-AUv3 apps are gonna be left behind in the future.

From the iOS 13 release notes just published:
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/ios_ipados_release_notes/ios_ipados_13_beta_release_notes?fbclid=IwAR3GrEym2tTS5cD-OifDW0KojZKZVCCj8z99Ti9n3Xo8oV-9b71Pekjaz7o

«134

Comments

  • Wow but there is so many iaa apps that we need!

  • Wow! Quite a bombshell!!

  • Au Presets tho

  • @analog_matt said:
    Apple is deprecating IAA in iOS 13! 😮
    "Inter-App audio is deprecated. Use Audio Units for this functionality moving forward."

    Looks like non-AUv3 apps are gonna be left behind in the future.

    From the iOS 13 release notes just published:
    https://developer.apple.com/documentation/ios_ipados_release_notes/ios_ipados_13_beta_release_notes?fbclid=IwAR3GrEym2tTS5cD-OifDW0KojZKZVCCj8z99Ti9n3Xo8oV-9b71Pekjaz7o

    How deprecated? Apple has sometimes supported deprecated calls for years and years and years (as with Carbon which still runs in Mohave) and sometimes pulled the plug very quickly.

    Is this to say IAA won't run in iOS 13? or that new apps shouldn't use it and that some future version of the OS won't run them? (The latter seems likely)

  • Some you win some you lose!

  • @Will0827 you installed the beta, right? Can you confirm if IAA works on it?

  • AUGraph is also (finally?) deprecated... which opens two questions: First, what about the myriad of apps that use AUGraph at their core? Second, what about certain bugs in AVAudioEngine, like support for “aumi” - AUv3 MIDI? (Sequencism does not properly supports “aumi” AUv3’s because of this). Well, time to listen to the Audio sessions in the coming days, I guess.

  • @analog_matt said:
    Apple is deprecating IAA in iOS 13! 😮

    ARGHHH! Quick get D1 into AU-safety while there's still time!!

  • edited June 3

    @JohnnyGoodyear said:

    @analog_matt said:
    Apple is deprecating IAA in iOS 13! 😮

    ARGHHH! Quick get D1 into AU-safety while there's still time!!

    Haha, Brice and I are squashing bugs in the beta everyday!

  • Oh shit...I didn't think it would happen this quick. But it was obviously going to happen eventually.
    That means Korg et al will have to do AU conversions or they will lose revenue.

  • If I'm not mistaken, Audiobus also internally uses IAA for everything, so that means that this whole forum is now deprecated too ;) @Michael

  • @espiegel123 said:

    @analog_matt said:
    Apple is deprecating IAA in iOS 13! 😮
    "Inter-App audio is deprecated. Use Audio Units for this functionality moving forward."

    Looks like non-AUv3 apps are gonna be left behind in the future.

    From the iOS 13 release notes just published:
    https://developer.apple.com/documentation/ios_ipados_release_notes/ios_ipados_13_beta_release_notes?fbclid=IwAR3GrEym2tTS5cD-OifDW0KojZKZVCCj8z99Ti9n3Xo8oV-9b71Pekjaz7o

    How deprecated? Apple has sometimes supported deprecated calls for years and years and years (as with Carbon which still runs in Mohave) and sometimes pulled the plug very quickly.

    Is this to say IAA won't run in iOS 13? or that new apps shouldn't use it and that some future version of the OS won't run them? (The latter seems likely)

    This is the question. If IAA is killed outright in iOS 13, then that just means I'm never updating (and never getting a new iOS device for music making). I rely more on the classic IAA apps than I do new iOS bells and whistles.

  • @SevenSystems said:
    If I'm not mistaken, Audiobus also internally uses IAA for everything, so that means that this whole forum is now deprecated too ;) @Michael

    Deprecated doesn't necessarily mean that it is being removed from this release. Mojave still runs OS calls deprecated more than 10 years ago.

  • @espiegel123 said:

    @SevenSystems said:
    If I'm not mistaken, Audiobus also internally uses IAA for everything, so that means that this whole forum is now deprecated too ;) @Michael

    Deprecated doesn't necessarily mean that it is being removed from this release. Mojave still runs OS calls deprecated more than 10 years ago.

    Yes of course... he will have to look for a new "virtual transport" in the future though... possibly return to the CoreMIDI SysEx hack.

  • edited June 3

    Interesting stuff! I'd guess IAA will still be around in iOS 14, but maybe not beyond.

    Gonna have to figure out how many people still want AB to do things like route audio into destination apps like Cubasis/Garageband etc, and switch back to my original non-IAA code if demand is high enough, I guess.

    I'd be reluctant to do so just to replace IAA in input and effect apps as I'd suspect developers are gonna do AUv3 exclusively going forward (and that's good!)

  • What does "deprecate" actually mean, please? And can't you still route IAA thru Audiobus or AUM?

  • Also mentions deprecation of carbon API for AUv3.

  • Does not deprecated only mean that it will be removed in the future, but is still functional?

    At least I hope so.

    :o :/ :( :s

  • Developers can get the beta, so pleaseeeee dear developers, jump in and test this!!!!

  • @LinearLineman said:
    What does "deprecate" actually mean, please? And can't you still route IAA thru Audiobus or AUM?

    Deprecate means: "we have implemented new OS calls and you should use those in your apps. At some unknown future time the old calls won't work."

    In some cases, the OS calls get supported for a long time (more than a decade) but sometimes support ends quickly. With so many IAA apps out there, I doubt they are pulling support immediately.

    Apple deprecated a lot of Carbon (the transitional OS9 to OS10 framework) in the early 00's but Carbon apps continue to run in Mojave (though they have required incremental hacks as some deprecated system calls were removed)...Mojave is the end of the line for those apps.

  • @LinearLineman said:
    What does "deprecate" actually mean, please? And can't you still route IAA thru Audiobus or AUM?

    It means that Apple is planning on removing that functionality, so developers shouldn't use it anymore. Typically there's a process where deprecation happens a few versions before the thing is actually killed (so possibly iOS 14 or 15), but it can happen sooner.

    When IAA is removed you won't be able to use IAA apps anymore. Michael could go back to the pre-IAA method he pioneered, but who knows if that will actually work in those new OS versions with older apps....

  • This may finally push Propellerhead to update Thor and IK Multimedia to update Sampletank with AU compatibility.

  • This is a good move and will push devs to update their apps.

    How many of us would like to have Animoog and SoundCanvas as AUs?

    Aren't we enjoying GeoShred, iFretless Bass, Sunrizer, etc. as AUs already?

    It is a bold step and had to happen someday.

  • @MobileMusic said:
    This is a good move and will push devs to update their apps.

    How many of us would like to have Animoog and SoundCanvas as AUs?

    Aren't we enjoying GeoShred, iFretless Bass, Sunrizer, etc. as AUs already?

    It is a bold step and had to happen someday.

    I don't care much about some Synths.
    I am in panic because of the other Apps, centrally AudioBus!

  • Darn it. Animoog, Guitarism @Rhism , NeoSoul Keys, FingerFiddle, @LuisMartinez, @PositiveGrid BIAS

  • @MobileMusic said:
    This is a good move and will push devs to update their apps.

    How many of us would like to have Animoog and SoundCanvas as AUs?

    Aren't we enjoying GeoShred, iFretless Bass, Sunrizer, etc. as AUs already?

    It is a bold step and had to happen someday.

    On the other hand a lot of still working and more obscure apps will die. I rather have the option to use both.

  • @jwmmakerofmusic said:
    This may finally push Propellerhead to update Thor and IK Multimedia to update Sampletank with AU compatibility.

    I'm certainly hoping so! Sounds to me like a recommendation by Apple for developers to stop supporting IAA and instead implementing AUv3 (similar to how they asked developers to no longer code in 32-bit, and after a while refused any new apps encoded in 32-bit). We may still have IAA capabilities for the time being, but if this pushes more developers to offer AUv3 functionality out of the gates, that can only be a good thing, IMO.

  • @mannix said:
    On the other hand a lot of still working and more obscure apps will die. I rather have the option to use both.

    They will still work as standalone apps, just the IAA part won't function so you could still use them in the old school way with an audio interface to route the audio etc

    But yeah hopefully we'll see more updates to AU versions.

  • Of course probably the most obvious plugin casualty with be IAA Samplr because I doubt the dev will ever update that... But yeah it's still a great standalone app.

  • @jipumarino said:
    @Will0827 you installed the beta, right? Can you confirm if IAA works on it?

    Just tried Animoog with GarageBand and recorded fine.

Sign In or Register to comment.