Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Cubase Pro 10 Value proposition for importing Cubasis projects

edited June 2019 in Other

It’s the last couple days of Cubase 10 Pro being on sale w/ such a steep discount, ($170 for crossgrade + $30 for the necessary dongle. Still trying to decide whether to bite. I’m mostly interested in it for convenience of working on Cubasis projects on desktop via project importer, though I’m also somewhat attracted to some of the included plugins and features.

I generally use Ableton 10 Suite and recently started to learn Logic, as I thought I might like the more linear approach for certain projects. If I hadn’t already picked up Logic X last year, I would have jumped on Cubase already, no question.

Do you think 10 Pro is worth it for my use case? I’m not sure how well the project importer works, as I’ve heard of some mixed results. Cubasis is currently my primary iPad daw, though I have gotten a lot of mileage out of Gadget’s Ableton export.

Comments

• Following

• LFSLFS
    edited June 2019

Hi ZenEagle,

Please note that trial versions for Cubase 10 Pro and Elements are available, to give the Cubasis project import a test drive:
    https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/steinberg_trial_versionen/cubase.html

While the Pro trial version requires the Steinberg USB-eLicenser, the Elements trial version can be tested without it.

Please download the Cubasis Project Importer from here.

Hope that helps to make up your mind...

Best,
    Lars

• edited June 2019

Yes been toying with the idea to get Pro 10 aswell.

@Lars @LFS First I heard of the crossgrade options. I assume all you do is screenshot your registration details of the DAW you own I have Live standard and Studio One 4.

How big is the Download in GB,s for Cubasis Pro 10?

Does Steinberg provide the Dongles on purchase are the ones on Amazon dodgy ?

• This reminded me why the AppStore really isn’t that bad.

I bought the elements 10 upgrade £12
    After downloading the update installer
    1st it downloaded the download assistant....
    Now it’s sitting there updating the elicenser control (15 mins so far)

• @ZenEagle said:
    I generally use Ableton 10 Suite and recently started to learn Logic, as I thought I might like the more linear approach for certain projects. If I hadn’t already picked up Logic X last year, I would have jumped on Cubase already, no question.

Do you think 10 Pro is worth it for my use case? I’m not sure how well the project importer works, as I’ve heard of some mixed results. Cubasis is currently my primary iPad daw, though I have gotten a lot of mileage out of Gadget’s Ableton export.

What exactly are you missing in Logic Pro X?

• @LFS said:
    Hi ZenEagle,

Please note that trial versions for Cubase 10 Pro and Elements are available, to give the Cubasis project import a test drive:
    https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/steinberg_trial_versionen/cubase.html

While the Pro trial version requires the Steinberg USB-eLicenser, the Elements trial version can be tested without it.

Please download the Cubasis Project Importer from here.

Hope that helps to make up your mind...

Best,
    Lars

Thanks, Wish I had thought to check to see if they had a demo earlier. I’m afraid the sale will be over by the time my slow as molasses Satellite internet downloads it ;)

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Yes been toying with the idea to get Pro 10 aswell.

@Lars @LFS First I heard of the crossgrade options. I assume all you do is screenshot your registration details of the DAW you own I have Live standard and Studio One 4.

How big is the Download in GB,s for Cubasis Pro 10?

Does Steinberg provide the Dongles on purchase are the ones on Amazon dodgy ?

Yep, I went ahead and applied for crossgrade verification last night — sent a screenshot of my ableton account page that shows the order# , payment # and price for all my ableton products (Push/Suite) .. It doesn’t show my name on that particular page, so I e-mailed a photo of my email receipt just to be sure. Received an approval this morning with a link to conclude the sale.

I think it’s around 20gb, and there’s an option to purchase the Dongle through Steinberg along with Cubase. Total came out to be $197.77 in all.

• edited June 2019

@rs2000 said:

@ZenEagle said:

namely, Cubasis project importer. I spend roughly half of my production time on iPad, usually in Cubasis, so it’ll be so nice to be able to have tighter integration between desktop and iOS.

Cubase has a feature that’ll automatically manage the buffer settings on all the tracks that aren’t currently highlighted , effectively allowing for a much larger track count - particularly more CPU efficient for VST heavy tracks.
    also some of the advanced midi workflow features are appealing to me. and finally, windows PC support :)

• @ZenEagle said:

@rs2000 said:

@ZenEagle said:

namely, Cubasis project importer. I spend roughly half of my production time on iPad, usually in Cubasis, so it’ll be so nice to be able to have tighter integration between desktop and iOS.

Cubase has a feature that’ll automatically manage the buffer settings on all the tracks that aren’t currently highlighted , effectively allowing for a much larger track count - particularly more CPU efficient for VST heavy tracks.
    also some of the advanced midi workflow features are appealing to me. and finally, windows PC support :)

Can you use the same plugins on iOS and desktop? I can't because many don't even exist on the other platform.
    For me, transferring audio mixdowns or track freezes and MIDI tracks is good enough and does not force me into one DAW.

• Just registered to post this:
    If you already own Ableton (like I do) the AI or LE (or even elements) version might be enough for the export. You might have gotten a license with some hardware or a magazine which you could update.
    The features are far less restricted than e.g. Ableton live light.
    At least for me Cubasis + AI/LE does all I need.
    Danke to Steinberg for Cubasis and the Cubase pricing/feature strategy

• @rs2000 said:
    Can you use the same plugins on iOS and desktop?

At least the Waves IAP plugins in Cubasis transfer nicely over to desktop Cubase with the project importer.

Maybe @LFS can comment - I wonder how big are the technical challenges for having other 3rd party plugins that exist as auv3 and VST on desktop transfer over to Cubase via the project importer?

• @gosnote said:

@rs2000 said:
    Can you use the same plugins on iOS and desktop?

At least the Waves IAP plugins in Cubasis transfer nicely over to desktop Cubase with the project importer.

Maybe @LFS can comment - I wonder how big are the technical challenges for having other 3rd party plugins that exist as auv3 and VST on desktop transfer over to Cubase via the project importer?

As mentioned here, our engineering did this for the Waves plug-ins and related Steinberg instruments and effects.
    To do this takes some engineering and testing efforts.

Where possible, compatible Cubase versions will load imported Cubasis projects with the same or similar instruments and/or effects and their settings. But this is not possible with all effects and/or instruments. In these cases, it might make sense to use other instruments/effects or create mixdowns of such tracks in Cubasis

Best,
    Lars

• Thanks @LFS

I'm using the built in Channel EQ in the channel strip in Cubase Pro 10 for basic eqing.

I would find it more useful if the default StudioEQ in Cubasis would transfer to the Channel EQ, not StudioEQ, upon import to Cubase. Could this be possible, or could there be a setting for the user to select either one? Or then there could be a separate Channel/Channel strip EQ in Cubasis?

Any plans to introduce more Waves IAPs? :wink: