Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Magic deatheye DDMF compressor

Comments

• 2 is better than 1 mate, you know we have to collect them all >:)

• @barabajagal said:

@Charlesalbert said:
    Christian wrote me. Boundless out today @Gavinski. Gooddamn monkey. I’ve throwed my money and just to play with it 10
    Minutes last night😂😂😂

I need clarification- is there going to be some sort of bundle available??

Yup a bundle is being under approval by Apple

• edited May 2020

man this EQ... its sublime.. smoooooooth

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    Why would you need a bundle with a mono and a stereo death eye? Are they not essentially the same product, and the new stereo version pretty much supplants the original?

Ian Sefchick makes the hardware versions of these compressors by hand and sells them as they are finished and does not take pre-orders. The mono model is older and the stereo is the newer model and
    is an improved design over the first series sonically. He will likely make primariliy the stereo model this year. He feels the software plug-ins are very close sonically to the $4,800-8,800 hardware units.

Christian Siedschlag (PhD), is a physicist and musician. He crafts the software emulations of Ian's hardware products. They work together to insure both products sound as close as possible to one another. An IOS instance for $32 of an $8,800 hardware product is a pretty good discount.

The 2 models (both provide stereo processing on IOS) have significantly different tone shaping features and if you can only afford one... get the newest. But if possible consider the bundle if you want more sonic possibilities. I like to use the first model as a pre-amp before Amp Sim's and the new one on the mix bus.
    They do use quite a bit of CPU resources so it's hard to use them on every track in a complex project.

For my ears nothing I have sounds this good for making IOS tracks come alive. If you like Lo-Fi or complex
    FX sound manglers "this is not the droid you're looking for"... except maybe at the final stage of mastering and them you'll appreciate the clarity these can give your music in a pair of cheap headphones. They have the features of an EQ, a compressor and a warm Tube Saturating pre-amp.

• This is Pure Acid’s kick going through MDE Stereo’s sidechain.

The rest of the mix is going through MDE Stereo’s main input.

The main mix (including the kick) Is going through NoLimits.

That’s just three AuV3s working in AUM and my poor iPhone 6s is being fried.

I wish I could add another instance of MDE Stereo to the main mix, but it looks impossible right now.

Oversampling is even switched off!!!

• edited May 2020

6s? thats pushing the limits (pun intended) iphone7 here its not smooth hoover around 50 mark drambo and some delay..if i enable x4 its cooked

• @noob said:
    6s? thats pushing the limits (pun intended) iphone7 here its not smooth hoover around 50 mark drambo and some delay..if i enable x4 its cooked

I fixed it.

Instead of using Pure Acid’s extra output for the kick, I just used another instance of Pure Acid for the kick instead.

Problem solved.

Added another MagicDeathEyeStereo before NoLimits and my old piece of crap iPhone is hovering at 75%.

• nice yeah i use Noir for that .. cool u got it fixed

• @McD said:

@JRSIV said:
    This really is a no brainier purchase. It's not as obviously coloring as the SSL Bus Compressor or even the PSP bus comp in Auria but it certainly has a very pleasing mojo.

We don't have an SSL Bus Compressor or PSP Bus Compressor in an AUv3 form factor... yet(?).

Do you think we might at some point see PSP, SSL or Waves making IOS plugins? Until then... this new DDMF product is in a class by itself.

Do any of the excellent Fab Filter or ToneBoosters FX'es get into this territory of coloring mixed with EQ and Dynamics shaping?

I should do some comparisons of the Nembrini PSA 1000 to see if it has similar coloring. It can get really nasty but does it do these warm saturations as well?

Yep, no SSL on iOS yet. The PSP stuff is great which makes Auria that much more of a deal. Waves is the dev that has invested time in iOS with Cubasis IAP's, I'm not an expert on desktop AU standards compared to iOS AU standards but if they could swing it their plugs would sell just as well as FabFilter does.

• I want a pultec/tubetech emulation for iOS next!

• @McD said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Why would you need a bundle with a mono and a stereo death eye? Are they not essentially the same product, and the new stereo version pretty much supplants the original?

Ian Sefchick makes the hardware versions of these compressors by hand and sells them as they are finished and does not take pre-orders. The mono model is older and the stereo is the newer model and
    is an improved design over the first series sonically. He will likely make primariliy the stereo model this year. He feels the software plug-ins are very close sonically to the $4,800-8,800 hardware units.

Christian Siedschlag (PhD), is a physicist and musician. He crafts the software emulations of Ian's hardware products. They work together to insure both products sound as close as possible to one another. An IOS instance for $32 of an $8,800 hardware product is a pretty good discount.

The 2 models (both provide stereo processing on IOS) have significantly different tone shaping features and if you can only afford one... get the newest. But if possible consider the bundle if you want more sonic possibilities. I like to use the first model as a pre-amp before Amp Sim's and the new one on the mix bus.
    They do use quite a bit of CPU resources so it's hard to use them on every track in a complex project.

For my ears nothing I have sounds this good for making IOS tracks come alive. If you like Lo-Fi or complex
    FX sound manglers "this is not the droid you're looking for"... except maybe at the final stage of mastering and them you'll appreciate the clarity these can give your music in a pair of cheap headphones. They have the features of an EQ, a compressor and a warm Tube Saturating pre-amp.

That was super-helpful, thank you.

• Though.... The cost of a handmade hardware unit by being high does not necessarily mean the iOS app emulation price should be high. Should the cost of a video app reflect what it would cost to build your own private cinema, lol? That's maybe not the best example, but you know what I mean. The point is that there are some things which, done analogue, are extremely expensive and time consuming to pull off, but done digitally are a lot easier and cheaper.

The only relevant questions are ones like how hard it was to port, what price the developer puts on their time, to what extent this is likely to reduce sales of the dev's previous app, how unique this app is, and how many units the apps are likely to sell. But yes, seeing as the maker of the original has to get his cut, it's not hard to see how the price ends up in this area, and he may now sell fewer hardware units (though actually this collaboration has more likely increased demand for his products).

• easy to pull off emulating hardware - not really.. easy to emulate hardware that is close to perfection- 1 in a million.

• For sure, again, I’m not saying it is overpriced

• @jolico said:
    This is Pure Acid’s kick going through MDE Stereo’s sidechain.

The rest of the mix is going through MDE Stereo’s main input.

The main mix (including the kick) Is going through NoLimits.

That’s just three AuV3s working in AUM and my poor iPhone 6s is being fried.

I wish I could add another instance of MDE Stereo to the main mix, but it looks impossible right now.

Oversampling is even switched off!!!

@ExAsperis99 said:

@McD said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

That was super-helpful, thank you.

Ian also disclosed that a 3rd designer created the GUI: "David Della Rocca of Session Recall made a beautiful graphic recreation of my products for his recall software before all of this got started. David finished up the artwork and the plugin was finally ready for beta testing! It’s a beautiful digital baby that we had and we are proud to share it with the world." Not sure if he played a role in the hardware emulation of this new app. All of DDMF's apps have used hardware accurate UI's of the modeled hardware.

• Yes, their GUIs are incredible, and this one seems to be the cream of an already outstanding crop. I'm just patiently waiting for the bundle :p

• think it needs a little patch to fix gfx stuff so waiting is not a bad thing as its new and stuff will pop up as we use it :)

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    I want a pultec/tubetech emulation for iOS next!

GoToEQ is a nice Pultec style EQ

• edited May 2020

Hmm.. in the sidemid preset I get rly high cpuspikes when sidechaining..any1 else care to test this? If it is a common thing due to more activity inside the plugin? Plz test this so can I report findings to Christian.
    @jolico did you use the sidemid preset on your sidechain?

• edited May 2020

@noob said:
    Hmm.. in the sidemid preset I get rly high cpuspikes when sidechaining..any1 else care to test this? If it is a common thing due to more activity inside the plugin? Plz test this so can I report findings to Christian.
    @jolico did you use the sidemid preset on your sidechain?

No. I only use punch mode for external sidechain.

I’ve reported a problem with the bass centering option. It makes too much noise like it doesn’t have enough resources to process correctly.
    The more off center the input low frequencies, the more noise it makes.

Without oversampling and without sidechain.

Try panning a kick drum all the way and activate the bass center option.

MDE will probably get optimization updates to fix this.

Centering the bass is no problem for https://apps.apple.com/us/app/stereo-width-control/id1493044617

• edited May 2020

good find yeah lets dissect this thing

edit; Also distortion confirmed when using cutLowFreqSide here ( punch mode is enabled in that preset)
    hmm... so punch mode is the badguy maybe?

edit2;
    found it!

when cutLowFreqside param is enabled we get dist. emailed him bout it
    so for now- stay away from ”that” hidden setting

• new preset for AUM without distortion here;

AUM.zip 15.1K
  • Has anybody figured out the attack/release times for each of the six settings in MagicDeathEyeStereo?

Also, at what ratio does it compress?

• @jolico said:
    Has anybody figured out the attack/release times for each of the six settings in MagicDeathEyeStereo?

Also, at what ratio does it compress?

There’s some documentation for the OG hardware here:

http://magicdeatheye.com/documentation/

Might be useful for the app.

• its more ”use your ears” approach here.. fabfilters more for that sort of thing

• For A/B comparison between various compressors at the same settings, it would be great to have the following information about MagicDeathEyeStereo:

• Attack times of settings 1 2 3 & 4
    • Release times of settings 1 2 3 & 4
    • Ratio
    • Knee
  • I was watching some of the documentation videos on the website of the hardware maker, Ian:

magicdeatheye.com/documentation

And it made me laugh to see that you have to buy new tubes to keep your hardware working up to snuff.
    Ian sells a set of 8 matched tubes for $8.

We got so much from these iPad Apps at such great prices... because there's so many using these devices
    for the phone and Internet needs.

• edited May 2020

lol i give up cant find any manual on this.. even the hardware one say nothing on numbers apart from the eq

• After having some time with it I think it's incredible what DDMF & Magic Death Eye have pulled off here. The thing is it isn't a flanger or mega-delay that can be spotted miles away; it really doesn't translate on a YouTube video.

That said, listening on monitors/headphones you'd have to be blind not to hear it. The "glue" phenomenon definitely occurs: a rounding off of brittle frequencies without messing with the high end, along with a thickening of the low end slightly.

The EQ on the MDE-Stereo is very subtle; with just 5db max boost it is not something you'll hear like a tight Q sweeping through the frequency spectrum. It's brilliant though, the high section at 12k & especially 18k brings out a bit of air and sparkle the slight compression takes away. On stuff I was running through it the bass section got too thick at 4 & 5db's, I figured the bass was already mixed well and the compression added a bit of weight then low EQing was not needed. I like knowing it's there for mixes or material that is thin in the low end.

I'd really like for DDMF to port over the IIEQPro EQ and TheStrip to iOS AUv3 so we'd have all of the DDMF stuff on iOS. I'm a big fan of their stuff and use NY Comp and the 6144 Neve EQ a lot. The only plug in I don't use very much is the Envelope reverb, and that's not a knock on it, it is a nice reverb. But there's just so many reverb AU's that I whittled it down to Pro R and the convolution reverb from Gospel Musicians as the ones I go to first.

• Great review, pity the bundle is being a bit slow to drop! Looking forward to trying this