Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Magic deatheye DDMF compressor

Comments

• edited May 2020

well, i'm officially impressed... i was not big fan of previous one but this new has some serious mojo... not regreting price, for this level of quality... really amazing compressor

• edited May 2020

monster on masterbus.. almost impossible to dial in bad sound..
    btw can we plz use this thread for both plugs

• Yeah, I already sent him a message asking about a bundle, good if others do the same

• It's a slow new days so we should make this a thread about real studio hardware and the man that models them into AUv3 products, Christian Siedschlag. Here's a great post where he explains how a studio engineer uses EQ's to separate tracks in a mix:

https://soundbytesmag.net/equalizationforrookies/

There was a time when all the currently available DDMF AUv3 products were bundled for $18. I hope you were able to start your collection then... with the new Magic Death Eye products Christian got a boutique hardware product designer, Ian Sefchick, involved in the
    creator process. So we have 2 expert's mouths to feed and the days of the $3 DDMF purchase are over.

DDMF products "breathe, shine, open and add brightness". Qualities you might hear and hopefully value on your musical palette.

To continue to collect the set I'll have to pay the $32 price which is still tilted compared to the $150 desktop tariff... ~4-5:1 seems to be the model now for DDMF desktop:IOS.

I think to really appreciate this new one I might need to break out my best mics and record some acoustic instruments... maybe take a shot at making some sample sets. Practice some real audio engineering for a change. We'll see...

• @noob said:
    monster on masterbus.. almost impossible to dial in bad sound..
    btw can we plz use this thread for both plugs

Yeah if @Michael or the OP can retitle the thread to cover both mono & stereo versions that would be cool, also there was another thread started to announce the stereo on Sale at the store So it may draw some comments too, just be nice to see them all together.

Well, unlike the wise sage @JohnnyGoodyear I made the plunge with the same proviso @noob has:
    This is IT!!!

I really have to adhere to it especially after I checked the site that shows your last purchases from the last 90 days. You can check at yours at your own risk, you may feint... ):

https://idmsa.apple.com/IDMSWebAuth/signin?appIdKey=6f59402f11d3e2234be5b88bf1c96e1e453a875aec205272add55157582a9f61&language=US-EN

Just feeding some loops through it and it is very impressive. I had the privilege of using some really nice stuff in my college recording program, late 90’s LA-2A’s, UA 6176’s and an old Manley box and this certainly has that special “lift” and “glue” thing. It’s hard to describe but you know it when you hear it...it’s like playing through a Crate practice amp and then a Fender Champ; both are small guitar amps, but the tonal differences are huge.

I try to look at it like an analog box like this would be $1500+, a UA “name brand” (not that DDMF isn’t a name) but a UA desktop plugin of a stereo compressor is going to be $200+ (UA has a sale on it’s plugs and something like this is still $150+):

From that POV it isn’t too bad, but 30 bucks is still 30 bucks. If you’re not like us appaholics who have FabFilter Pro C and Pro L or several other top plugins for mixing, then this would be an excellent catch all to use in stereo & mono. If you do have all the others, this particular mojo may be what you’re looking for. I love Pro L for mastering but for bus processing and mixing this thing is unreal.

• @Gavinski said:
    Yeah, I already sent him a message asking about a bundle, good if others do the same

Me too.

Wait for the answer then I'll buy it. Just tested on reason suite on pc and it sounds like magic. It's a never miss one.

• I'm of two minds about the bundle pricing. If a developer chooses to reward customers who are brand loyal or they want to use that kind of pricing model (like Klevgrand), then cool.

If a developer is so new to selling apps they didn't know or didn't think to do a bundle then changing to bundle pricing is cool. It's just sticky for me with a boutique dev like DDMF.

To retroactively bow to a bundle request could be bad look for them because now every app they release heretofore will be expected to be in a bundle or on some special. They RARELY release apps.

Here's a for instance: I didn't have an issue with Steinberg releasing Cubasis 3 as a new app because of the new code and features, and the length of time between versions. I didn't feel they owed me a bundle deal.

I DID have a problem with Steinberg not allowing Cubasis 2 LE users who paid to upgrade to full Cubasis 2 not being able to transfer over their IAP's to C3, which could be done easily by C2 users.

I went back and forth with @Lars from Steinberg, eventually saying "screw it" and rebuying the IAP's for C3 because I needed them for projects in progress. Sure as shit, months later now you CAN transfer those IAP's from Cubasis 2 LE to Cubasis 3 no problem.

If DDMF promised a stereo version would be coming as an IAP and then flipped, yeah I think they should bundle price THAT eventuality. But this is a new app, in stereo, with EQ, oversampling, etc. I don't think it merits bundle pricing...just my $0.02.

• Yes, but they are giving bundle pricing on desktop for buying these 2 magic death eyes, so they might be up for it on iOS. It's certainly worth asking nicely for but of course the decision is up to ddmf. I suspect if they offer a bundle price they will sell more in the end, win-win...

• edited May 2020

I bought a piece of art. Christian deserves it.
    btw would love to get some use of the ”hidden” params exposed .. any wizards around for a Mozaic script for it would be great

• @noob said:
    I bought a piece of art. Christian deserves it.
    btw would love to get some use of the ”hidden” params exposed .. any1 good at Mozaic to mock up smth for them parameters

@noob what are these hidden parameters you've mentioned a few times now? I thought it was tapping the logo gave oversampling choices. Are there others?

• edited May 2020

yes we have side mid eq and punch and.. ah lemme repost it

would like some kind of manual pdf or ..lol yeah

• I thought the small trimmers are all the hidden parameters...

• Off of a forum post, I assume we just tap the knobs. I appreciate it @noob I saw the previous post, just was also wondering what was what outside if AUM...

• @JRSIV said:
    I try to look at it like an analog box like this would be $1500+, a UA “name brand” (not that DDMF isn’t a name) but a UA desktop plugin of a stereo compressor is going to be $200+ (UA has a sale on it’s plugs and something like this is still $150+)

My understanding is that the stereo analog unit goes for $8000 if you can even get on the waiting list, with the mono running about half that. Makes the price comparison really easy.

I’m not hurting for it as I have the mono app, but the $50 has been added to the budget for next January. Y’know, just in case...

• edited May 2020

@ahallam said:

@JRSIV said:
    I try to look at it like an analog box like this would be $1500+, a UA “name brand” (not that DDMF isn’t a name) but a UA desktop plugin of a stereo compressor is going to be $200+ (UA has a sale on it’s plugs and something like this is still $150+)

My understanding is that the stereo analog unit goes for $8000 if you can even get on the waiting list, with the mono running about half that. Makes the price comparison really easy.

I’m not hurting for it as I have the mono app, but the $50 has been added to the budget for next January. Y’know, just in case...

@ahallam Yeah I went the their website (MagicDeathEye) and it’s a serious piece of kit. If this plug can give us 25% of that mojo we’re in tall cotton.

I am absolutely blown away. It really sounds like you put the mix through something special. I ran it at normal and 2x and really no difference CPU wise on my Air 3 in Auria. 4x oversampling spiked it a bit it would go to the 40’s occasionally but it sat mainly at 28-30% through two mixes.

If you want a pro piece of gear in an iOS app this is it. If you have the FabFilter suite, all the DDMF plugs, and every Audio Damage & FAC app you have a plug in collection just as capable as anything you can put on a desktop/laptop rig. As much as I drool at some of the UA plugins and have long wanted the Waves Abbey Road stuff on iOS, you would have it pretty much all covered except for a real pro quality auto tune plugin.

Thanks to Christian for this, it’s insane.

• These DDMF apps are tributes to real physical hardware rack units used in the top studios:

• They really are things of great beauty, both sonically and aesthetically

• Nice too that this has sidechain

• @Gavinski said:
    Nice too that this has sidechain

How would you use this with external sidechain?

2 instances?
    One in punch mode side chained to a kick and feed the mix through another instance?

• @Gavinski said:

I think the "side chain" path is used by the hardware designer and is not exposed as an external I or O.
    Hopefully and export can explain what this path does for the signal processing:

• @McD said:

@Gavinski said:

I think the "side chain" path is used by the hardware designer and is not exposed as an external I or O.
    Hopefully and export can explain what this path does for the signal processing:

That’s on the original hardware.

In the app, we have an option for external Sidechain input.

• I don’t have the app (yet) and don’t know the details, I just saw the sidechain switch and assumed we could use it in a similar way to RoughRider or NYCompressor, but maybe not. Perhaps someone can confirm yay or nay.

@jolico said:

@Gavinski said:

2 instances?
    One in punch mode side chained to a kick and feed the mix through another instance?

• @Gavinski said:
    I don’t have the app (yet) and don’t know the details, I just saw the sidechain switch and assumed we could use it in a similar way to RoughRider or NYCompressor, but maybe not. Perhaps someone can confirm yay or nay.

@jolico said:

@Gavinski said:

2 instances?

Yay 😀

• @jolico said:

@Gavinski said:
    I don’t have the app (yet) and don’t know the details, I just saw the sidechain switch and assumed we could use it in a similar way to RoughRider or NYCompressor, but maybe not. Perhaps someone can confirm yay or nay.

@jolico said:

@Gavinski said:

2 instances?

Yay 😀

The "link switch" is how the 2 channels get input from each other on a side-chain... look carefully at the drawing above that shows the signal routings and other than input and output there are no additional inputs you'd expect to see for side-chaining and even if there we're DAW's don't have support in any standard way like the Desktop world.

The best option for "volume" based side-chaining continues to be FAC Envolver sending MIDI CC events to
    control an FX'es volume for that side-chin pumping control.

• @McD said:

@jolico said:

@Gavinski said:

@jolico said:

@Gavinski said:

2 instances?

Yay 😀

The "link switch" is how the 2 channels get input from each other on a side-chain... look carefully at the drawing above that shows the signal routings and other than input and output there are no additional inputs you'd expect to see for side-chaining and even if there we're DAW's don't have support in any standard way like the Desktop world.

The best option for "volume" based side-chaining continues to be FAC Envolver sending MIDI CC events to
    control an FX'es volume for that side-chin pumping control.

No. That’s the stereo link. When switched off, it processes left and right separately.

Also, the drawing that you are referring to shows the the signal flow of the actual hardware unit. The app has some extra features that you can’t find on the hardware.

• Nice! Now to wait and see if there is a bundle 😂

• I was extactic with the prior DDMF Magic Death Eye compressor but this one takes a mxi to a whole new level. Really great final stage processor. I tend to use the original as a pre-amp or to add warm gain.

Bark Filter sounds brittle and weak compared to this as a mixer down "Glue" master effect. I'm sure people will find good uses any where in a signal path to add warm saturation and breathe life into a track.

• Yes, the original is amazing. In most - probably all - cases, it leaves the sound so much richer and more nuanced than the bark filter which I think you have described well as ‘weak’ and ‘brittle’. God, I’m looking forward to trying this new one if it’s even better than the old. Nembrini PSA1000 - depending on the sound I want - is another favourite source of saturation for me.

• @JRSIV said:

Off of a forum post, I assume we just tap the knobs. I appreciate it @noob I saw the previous post, just was also wondering what was what outside if AUM...

So are all these things there in the iOS app, just a tap away?