Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Magic deatheye DDMF compressor

Comments

• you will not regret the buy.

• What do you guys think of the NYCompressor?
    It’s not included in the bundle, but do I need it?

• @noob said:
    you will not regret the buy.

I'm using FabFilter Pro-C 2 Compressor plug-in, which I bought in the bundle sale last December, which is a fantastic bit of software, so just wondering if I can get anything out of this bundle that the Fab Filter plug ins don't have? Would this just be over kill?

• edited May 2020

@Sandstorm download the demos for mac or win and try https://ddmf.eu/downloads/
    DDMF adds analog sat.. mite not be ideal for some audio

• edited May 2020

@jolico I dont have it..yet..I stick with TB Barricade as I know that tool..for now :# wallet on fire

• @Sandstorm said:

@noob said:

I'm using FabFilter Pro-C 2 Compressor plug-in, which I bought in the bundle sale last December, which is a fantastic bit of software, so just wondering if I can get anything out of this bundle that the Fab Filter plug ins don't have? Would this just be over kill?

The FF is both more transparent, and more versatile due to the choice of compression modes (clean, bus, vocal, opto etc...) The MagicDeathEye is more for adding some character to a part or to a mix.

• @noob said:
    @Sandstorm download the demos for mac or win and try https://ddmf.eu/downloads/
    DDMF adds analog sat.. mite not be ideal for some audio

Thanks for the link. Will try it out on my Windows laptop first.

@richardyot said:

@Sandstorm said:

@noob said:

The FF is both more transparent, and more versatile due to the choice of compression modes (clean, bus, vocal, opto etc...) The MagicDeathEye is more for adding some character to a part or to a mix.

So basically it would be useful to have depending on the type of music that is being mixed etc. Thanks.

• Is there any point owning both? Or just get the stereo one

• edited May 2020

just get the stereo.
    and again, as this is not cheap in sound or wallet, plz chk demos and try..

• I just got the stereo one after seeing this thread, thanks for the heads up! My first impression comparing the two - and I mean after literally a minute or two just of comparing - is that the stereo one is certainly capable of more loudness. It seems more punchy. Before adding the original one on to an AUM session, my DSP was averaging around 22 with occasional spikes to 31. Adding it actually brought my DSP down to an average of about 15 with occasional spikes around 20. Ejecting the old one and adding the new stereo one brought my dsp up to about 32. So it’s a bit heavier on CPU but it’s not a beast. My initial impression would be just get the stereo one, but I would need to test and compare more, perhaps with a range of different sound sources.

• McDMcD
    edited May 2020

I think the hardware designer made a mono device and asked you to buy 2 for stereo uses.
    DDMF just went ahead and sold it as a stereo capable hardware simulation.

Then the hardware designer created his stereo product with the EQ section added and DDMF
    re-created this unit too.

So, I suspect the MDE #1 will roll off my iPad and I'll not miss it. The EQ detailing really adds even more
    extra harmonic details and MDE #1 was already great but #2 just expands on a great sonic enhancer.
    It's a compressor but I use if to enhance a track and put the music more forward in the mix.

I might keep #1 around to use to compress guitar signals before an Amp Sim for that Carlos Santana
    sustained line sound with muted transients.

Since the bundle took so long I feel better about funding the developer the extra $12. Worth it to have used it so many times while everyone had to wait. I went back and re-mixed a lot of my soundcloud stuff using this as the main mastering tool.

Before... just listen to about 20 seconds:

After a re-mix with MDE Stereo:

• Btw, I keep seeing people talk about a 'mono' version of the compression. The one that doesn't have stereo in its name is not a mono compressor. A mono compressor sums the channels and puts out mono. The old version is a stereo compressor but it (like a lot of stereo compressors) doesn't have separate settings for the two channels -- and the "stereo" one has an interestingly integrated EQ.

• Yes, it’s a bit confusing. That’s why I referred to the ‘original’ rather than the mono. After more tinkering, I can’t see much reason to buy the original one, unless maybe you want to run a lot of them on separate channels and maybe especially if you have a less powerful device. Soundwise, I think I would just go with the one with the EQ. They are both very good though.

• edited May 2020

Yoink! I’ll take it. Great price

• @espiegel123 said:
    Btw, I keep seeing people talk about a 'mono' version of the compression.

When I mention it I'm talking about the actual hardware unit which was mono but also sold in pairs
    for twice the price. I know it creates confusion but that has served me well to slip out the back before
    anyone is the wiser.

• @McD said:
    I think the hardware designer made a mono device and asked you to buy 2 for stereo uses.

Then the hardware designer created his stereo product with the EQ section added and DDMF

So, I suspect the MDE #1 will roll off my iPad and I'll not miss it. The EQ detailing really adds even more
    extra harmonic details and MDE #1 was already great but #2 just expands on a great sonic enhancer.
    It's a compressor but I use if to enhance a track and put the music more forward in the mix.

I might keep #1 around to use to compress guitar signals before an Amp Sim for that Carlos Santana

Since the bundle took so long I feel better about funding the developer the extra $12. Worth it to have used it so many times while everyone had to wait. I went back and re-mixed a lot of my soundcloud stuff using this as the main mastering tool.

It's obviously is a matter of personal taste. But for me? Honestly? The first sounds much richer and more finely detailed. The second one is kind of honky, I'm sorry to say. And I do like the piece, @McD.

• edited May 2020

@ExAsperis99 said:

@McD said:

It's obviously is a matter of personal taste. But for me? Honestly? The first sounds much richer and more finely detailed. The second one is kind of honky, I'm sorry to say. And I do like the piece, @McD.

NOTE: Using very middle-of-the-range open-backed Phillips headphones, which are regularly given "best value" ratings, but aren't Sennheiser 650s.

• I like this piece a lot actually, but I also agree. In the MDE version it sounds pretty distorted around the 4min50 mark, and I prefer the softer dynamics of the intro in the non-MDE version. Maybe cranked the MDE up a bit too high?

• @Gavinski said:
    I like this piece a lot actually, but I also agree. In the MDE version it sounds pretty distorted around the 4min50 mark, and I prefer the softer dynamics of the intro in the non-MDE version. Maybe cranked the MDE up a bit too high?

Yes. I probably had the levels too hot and blew out the headroom. I tend to set up a file player for the old version and hit record and upload the modified recording.

I haven't found anything where I switch the MDE Stereo "on" in AUM and it sounds worse. It always adds more depth and a roominess.

It's a very musical FX app and not just a typical "compressor" app for managing levels. It adds extra harmonics. It made me look for effective Exciter or Enhancer FX'es and I didn't find any that had the magic of these apps. I also revisited all the older DDMF apps and they too add more colors to a track.
    Not as dramatically but taken as a whole they all seem to earn a spot in the AUM A/B test.

It appears DDMF doesn't approach his apps by a sound engineers function list but by finding legendary
    studio hardware to be modeled and the "audio function" comes from the original hardware design.
    Each app has a specific hardware device that existed long before he models it.

• Does anyone with both feel the original does something MDE Stereo doesn't? I really get the feeling that they wasn't joking when they called it a master buss compressor. What it does to the mix is just lovely but it's not for heavy lifting. I've been trying it in punch mode and that's useful but still quite restrained. This video is what eventually broke me,

The original just seems to be working a lot harder than the master buss one. Maybe it's just how it's being presented there, I don't know. Now with the bundle pricing it only seems moderately indulgent.

As far as cost goes, I'm not rich but think over time the amount of use this will get is going to make it a better investment than a lot of ten quid synths I got out of curiosity, really enjoyed a few times, then forgot about.

• @SpartanClownTide Absolutely brother. You can get some nice character compression out of the mono unit for sure, and while the stereo adds a tinge of color (especially with the EQ’s engaged) it is for serious bus compression and bringing cohesion/glue to the dance.

As an admitted AppJunkie I felt your comment about the $10 synths right in my gut. I keep my folders to one page which holds 16 apps (I don’t like multiple page folders because I just want to glance at one and see what is in it quickly), and I have Iike 10 to 12 synth folders full of scores of synths I love having on hand like colors on the palette. But if I’m honest half of them or better I rarely use, and some were $10 or more easy.

I’d tell someone just getting into iOS music production to spend the dough on the DDMF bundle instead of 40 different synths. These plugins are heavy duty.

• edited May 2020

@SpartanClownTide I agree its 1 knob magic. No tweak needed. But I got the stereo for tweaking the stuff .. (with varied results) :D

• edited May 2020

@JRSIV, @noob Thanks guys I'm going to give it a go. I think there'll be a lesson in listening hard getting to know these two. That's worth a lot in itself.

• This thing splits your audio into three separate band outputs.
    https://apps.apple.com/app/id1511149985

Now we can have 3 MDE (one for each band)
    and mix them down into MagicDeathEyeStereo. :smiley:

• Now there's an idea! Put magic death eye and woott on all the things! And then a bit more death eye for good measure 💪

• @jolico do I remember you posting your settings for stereo mde? Could you repost here maybe? Can’t find it, thanks!

• The dude in this video is using a really nice rotary waveform analyser. Does anyone know of something like this for iOS? If not, what do people use for this job?

• This shit is literally the best