MagicDeathEye DDMF compressor by Christian Siedschlag

It is totally unique in the way it was molded from the ground up. Working together for almost a year Magic Death Eye and DDMF offer an extraordinary compressor, rich in sound, easy to control, and pleasing to the eye! We hope you enjoy it so much, it becomes your go to compressor and an indispensable mix tool.

The Magic Death Eye compressor excels at vocals, bass, keys, or just about any instrument you can think of. Its gentle compression curve is also suited for master buss duties. There is a broad range of sidechain timings for just about anything a mix can throw at it.
Input level controls the amount of signal that enters the intelligently modeled input transformer, tubes, and output transformer.
Threshold controls the amount of signal fed to the sidechain circuit and can be thought of as the amount of compression applied to the signal. The amount of compression available is also determined by the amount of input signal present.
Clicking on the "output adjust" will produce a fader with a +5dB to -20dB range acting as a master volume post compressor circuit. This is a modification to the original hardware unit in where there is only 3db of fine adjustment available.
The "time" knob controls the attack and release of the compression. "1" is the fastest attack and release, "4" is the slowest. "D1" and "D2" have a fast attack, and a dual release, from medium to slow.
The "attack" switch, modifies all the "time" settings with an overall Fast, Medium, or Slow. response.
The "150Hz filter switch, when in the UP position, lessens frequencies under 150Hz sent to the side chain. Use this switch if you don't want low frequency material like a kick drum to pump the rest of the music. Very useful for gently compressing a whole mix.
Staying true to the hardware, The bypass and power switch have the same function. Both preform a hard bypass in which the signal is not processed.

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1466360561

Comments

  • edited June 2

    oh sorry, missed your post :)
    (duplicate thread was started)

  • edited June 2

    $25 compressor, so cheap for realz, so expensive for appz...

    Maybe explain use case scenarios where this would kick ass? I have to admit, as a video tech and audio hobbyist, I am slowly learning the great power that different types of compression has to offer, but... dual release? I thought releases were based on curves, so, an extra curve?

    Would love to hear someone who understands this explain how they would use it. It sounds like an additional breakpoint for the tail action of the compressor. Drop to Level x, then to level 0. ADSRR? Or, in compressors, is it ARR

  • Presumably this is the hardware it's modelled on:

    http://magicdeatheye.com/

  • Is it AU compatible?

  • I posted in the other thread the same question... Is anyone familiar with its (magic death eye) characteristics and/or what famous compressor it’s closest to?

  • edited June 2

    Here's some more info on the compressors (not the plugin)
    https://gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/1119248-magic-death-eye-compressors.html

    I'm not sure if the plugin is more a fairchild or varimu tube compressor. Those have somewhat different characters. Neither will be as fast as a VCA or FET compressor, so make sure you actually are wanting to sue a tube compressor on the type of music you make (and instruments you use) before purchasing.

    You can also use 2 compressors on the mixbus, for example. One set to catch peaks and then something like the tube compressor after to give some gentle, musical compression.

  • edited June 2

    Buying it for the name alone.

    In seriousness, if the tube/comp modelling and behaviour is accurate then it’s money well spent. Read some good things about the hardware. But If it’s a quick iOS money grab then pass. Interested to hear feedback/reviews.

  • @vitocorleone123 said:
    Here's some more info on the compressors (not the plugin)
    https://gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/1119248-magic-death-eye-compressors.html

    I'm not sure if the plugin is more a fairchild or varimu tube compressor. Those have somewhat different characters. Neither will be as fast as a VCA or FET compressor, so make sure you actually are wanting to sue a tube compressor on the type of music you make (and instruments you use) before purchasing.

    You can also use 2 compressors on the mixbus, for example. One set to catch peaks and then something like the tube compressor after to give some gentle, musical compression.

    Thanks for the info, do u know of any Universal Audio LA-2a or 1176 type of compressors in iOS? Also SSL G/E?

    @EyeOhEss said:
    Buying it for the name alone.

    In seriousness, if the tube/comp modelling and behaviour is accurate then it’s money well spent. Read some good things about the hardware. But If it’s a quick iOS money grab then pass. Interested to hear feedback/reviews.

    I agree. I hope it’s not a money grab. I think I’m gonna take the plunge just to see if it can accommodate my needs. I’m just glad we’re starting to get real modeling from hardware plugins on iOS!

  • @ipadbeatmaking said:

    @vitocorleone123 said:
    Here's some more info on the compressors (not the plugin)
    https://gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/1119248-magic-death-eye-compressors.html

    I'm not sure if the plugin is more a fairchild or varimu tube compressor. Those have somewhat different characters. Neither will be as fast as a VCA or FET compressor, so make sure you actually are wanting to sue a tube compressor on the type of music you make (and instruments you use) before purchasing.

    You can also use 2 compressors on the mixbus, for example. One set to catch peaks and then something like the tube compressor after to give some gentle, musical compression.

    Thanks for the info, do u know of any Universal Audio LA-2a or 1176 type of compressors in iOS? Also SSL G/E?

    @EyeOhEss said:
    Buying it for the name alone.

    In seriousness, if the tube/comp modelling and behaviour is accurate then it’s money well spent. Read some good things about the hardware. But If it’s a quick iOS money grab then pass. Interested to hear feedback/reviews.

    I agree. I hope it’s not a money grab. I think I’m gonna take the plunge just to see if it can accommodate my needs. I’m just glad we’re starting to get real modeling from hardware plugins on iOS!

    Let us know your impressions of it if you grab it :)

  • Dang nice work! Looks like that was intense and we appreciate the effort. Wow, Ill have to try this soon. I love really hot apps like this as a labor of love! 25 is fine if as good as it seems.

  • Lets talk about the dev of this app. They have already produced some of the best plugins on iOS (I am using the DDMF limiter on almost all of my songs). I don’t think they will release a “money grab” and kill their reputation.

  • Yep, definitely not a money grab. Great to see this on iOS. https://ddmf.eu/magicdeatheye/

  • edited June 2

    Its nice, transparent and can be subtle. and yes, its AU.
    You can demo it if you have a pc or mac.

  • Its not a money grab because it simply wont sell well at $25 on IOS, different type of market.

  • @richardyot said:
    Presumably this is the hardware it's modelled on:

    http://magicdeatheye.com/

    Whew, a website designed in the 80’s
    Almost forgot what those looked like.

  • edited June 2

    @EyeOhEss said:

    @ipadbeatmaking said:

    @vitocorleone123 said:
    Here's some more info on the compressors (not the plugin)
    https://gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/1119248-magic-death-eye-compressors.html

    I'm not sure if the plugin is more a fairchild or varimu tube compressor. Those have somewhat different characters. Neither will be as fast as a VCA or FET compressor, so make sure you actually are wanting to sue a tube compressor on the type of music you make (and instruments you use) before purchasing.

    You can also use 2 compressors on the mixbus, for example. One set to catch peaks and then something like the tube compressor after to give some gentle, musical compression.

    Thanks for the info, do u know of any Universal Audio LA-2a or 1176 type of compressors in iOS? Also SSL G/E?

    @EyeOhEss said:
    Buying it for the name alone.

    In seriousness, if the tube/comp modelling and behaviour is accurate then it’s money well spent. Read some good things about the hardware. But If it’s a quick iOS money grab then pass. Interested to hear feedback/reviews.

    I agree. I hope it’s not a money grab. I think I’m gonna take the plunge just to see if it can accommodate my needs. I’m just glad we’re starting to get real modeling from hardware plugins on iOS!

    Let us know your impressions of it if you grab it :)

    Welp I took the plunge to see if this was a money grab or not. It's definitely not. I tested it by running a very hot signal into it and slamming down on the threshold to see if it'd sound like squashed crap. It doesn't. It transparently glued my mix together like nothing else I've used.

    However, there is one drawback. It currently has a bug where the GUI settings aren't recalled proper when reloading a project (at least until I toggle the power switch, in which case the GUI displays the proper readout). I wrote DDMF about it, and a fix should be on the way. Even with the GUI bug, this thing is worth the money. :) Cheers.

  • Looks great.

    I've yet to find a comp I like on iOS so this might be it.

    One interesting thing about the hardware is that like many other expensive tube limiters the transformers are a major selling point. UTC and Triad are brought up and then some story about a romantic transformer winding journey. Audiophile level insanity IMO...

  • WOW!!!!!!!!!! There has been a huge need for more genuinely "high-end" level processors for the ipad. If you want the original hardware version of this exact compressor in stereo you're going to have to cough up over $8000.

    Here is a video about the computer plug in, what hardware it is modeled on, what previous hardware circuits in turn were the inspiration for that unit, who designed it and so on. Good times for ios!

  • edited June 6

    While/since I'm logged in I'll just add this FYI in case anyone might need a fantastic intro/tutorial on compression from a professional producer and former college music instructor with extensive experience using all the best classic hardware compressions of the last half century.

  • edited June 6

    It's a bit pricey for me atm but every ddmf plugin has been golden. So far looks really good for mastering/gluing a mix together whereas most compressors seem to be more a of individual track effect

Sign In or Register to comment.