Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IOS 13

Comments

• @brambos said:

@Samu said:

@sbcfx said:
    Air2 made the cut samu...rejoice!

Do you have any credible source for that as all things point to that not being the case...

I think Air 2 and iPhone 6S are making the cut. That’s word on the street.

I hope so, I still enjoy using my headphone jack on my 6s...

• @cian said:

@espiegel123 said:

It is an iOS thing. There is a main audio thread and for audio to work correctly calls need to be a part of that thread or bad things happen.

Not sure there's any OS that supports multicore support on the audio thread. It's probably more that you can't create multiple threads that are a high enough priority that you could guarantee they'd finish in time for audio. The audio thread is high priority, but normal threads are not.

TBH though - the benefits from multicore for audio are often fairly slight. More useful for stuff like GUI/background process stuff/midi handling (maybe). Audio tends to be very linear in a way that makes parallelization hard - and parallelization brings its own overhead that can wipe out most of the savings. One area where maybe you could it would be for polyphony.

That’s interesting stuff. Cheers for the post.

• @mrufino1 said:

@brambos said:

@Samu said:

@sbcfx said:
    Air2 made the cut samu...rejoice!

Do you have any credible source for that as all things point to that not being the case...

I think Air 2 and iPhone 6S are making the cut. That’s word on the street.

I hope so, I still enjoy using my headphone jack on my 6s...

It's confirmed by Apple, both the iPhone SE and the iPhone 6s are included (scroll down: https://apple.com/ios/ios-13-preview/

• Now, it's time to unleash the new Cubasis version @LFS :smile:

• @MobileMusic said:
    Now, it's time to unleash the new Cubasis version @LFS :smile:

I’m really interested to see what Steinberg have for us.especially with the new files management situation.
    Maybe not this coming update, but I’m sure Cubasis file management shall be renovated. Fingers crossed 😂

• Still able to load iaa in cubasis after this??

• @reasOne said:
    Still able to load iaa in cubasis after this??

IAA hasn't been removed from the OS. It has simply been officially deprecated as of ios13. It is a message to developers that in some future OS, IAA will no longer exist. It seems likely that it will still be there in iOS 14.

• edited June 2019

I am glad things have slowed down for me since first getting into this stuff eight years ago. The pace of release and quality of stuff coming out now is perfect for me.

• @Paa89 said:

@MobileMusic said:

I’m really interested to see what Steinberg have for us.especially with the new files management situation.
    Maybe not this coming update, but I’m sure Cubasis file management shall be renovated. Fingers crossed 😂

They are already working on a new file and plugin handling system:

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=157824

• @cian said:

@espiegel123 said:

It is an iOS thing. There is a main audio thread and for audio to work correctly calls need to be a part of that thread or bad things happen.

Not sure there's any OS that supports multicore support on the audio thread. It's probably more that you can't create multiple threads that are a high enough priority that you could guarantee they'd finish in time for audio. The audio thread is high priority, but normal threads are not.

TBH though - the benefits from multicore for audio are often fairly slight. More useful for stuff like GUI/background process stuff/midi handling (maybe). Audio tends to be very linear in a way that makwes parallelization hard - and parallelization brings its own overhead that can wipe out most of the savings. One area where maybe you could it would be for polyphony.

Multicore and audio..

Have you ever looked at a sequencer...
    While audio is linear..
    In my song with 16 tracks, they are all mostly independent and pararel to eachother
    In my book there id nothing more suited for paralel threads then multi channel audio..
    1 thread for the main engine
    And each audio channel its own thread..

But then .. maybe i dont have a degree in programming... or did i? Just can't remember what i learned back then at school...

• If the iPad iOS is going to support USB thumb drives, I wonder if you will be able to connect an external SSD? Now that would be a proper thing...

• @MonzoPro said:
    If the iPad iOS is going to support USB thumb drives, I wonder if you will be able to connect an external SSD? Now that would be a proper thing...

I’m pretty sure you can do that.

• edited June 2019

@rthr said:

@MonzoPro said:
    If the iPad iOS is going to support USB thumb drives, I wonder if you will be able to connect an external SSD? Now that would be a proper thing...

Ooh. In that case rather than replace my elderly Macbook Pro laptop with a cheaper model, and my Air 2 with an Air 3 - I'll be looking to replace both with a bigger iPad. What's always stopped me using an iPad for mobile work stuff (taking it to meetings, training sessions, email and access while on holiday etc.) was the mean amount of storage, and file transfer hassles, so being able to plug in an SSD and backup to that makes it a usable option. Being able to use it as an input device, and with a mouse also ticks a couple more boxes.

So for a grand I can get an iPad Pro 12.9 inch, as opposed to £500 for the Air 3, plus £1600 for a Macbook Air (can't even begin to justify £2600 for a new Macbook Pro).

Need to see how the updates pan out, but the figures look promising.

• @MonzoPro said:

a long overdue 'proper thing' at that

• @MonzoPro said:

@rthr said:

@MonzoPro said:

Ooh. In that case rather than replace my elderly Macbook Pro laptop with a cheaper model, and my Air 2 with an Air 3 - I'll be looking to replace both with a bigger iPad. What's always stopped me using an iPad for mobile work stuff (taking it to meetings, training sessions, email and access while on holiday etc.) was the mean amount of storage, and file transfer hassles, so being able to plug in an SSD and backup to that makes it a usable option. Being able to use it as an input device, and with a mouse also ticks a couple more boxes.

So for a grand I can get an iPad Pro 12.9 inch, as opposed to £500 for the Air 3, plus £1600 for a Macbook Air (can't even begin to justify £2600 for a new Macbook Pro).

Yeah that’s definitely the market they are aiming for, going to be a more useful and capable device going forward :)

I’m in the same boat. I want to do more work stuff with my 12.9 for video and art, but without those features I need a laptop too etc.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@Carnbot said:
    Just read some rumours which said proper font management (well needed) and “the ability to cycle through different versions of the same app”.
    Hmm, I’ll believe it when I see for music apps as that would mean Multi instance standalone IAA :D

I used to loathe IAA and want everything to be au. But recently I’m finding the full screen and unlimited nature of IAA has its own pros. Especially on phones.

IAA is here to stay for the foreseeable future, really premature of apps like NS2 to not internally support it :/ It’s like ‘hey, I’m going to ignore this whole eco system and pretend it doesn’t exist, because in an ideal world it would be different’... nice dream but While IAA still offers unique apps or functions over AU, multi instance IAA would be great :)

It seems like the IAA API is fully deprecated in iOS 13: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/audiotoolbox?changes=latest_minor

It’s understandable that the developer of NS2 is not going to support a deprecated technology, since it can now be removed at any moment (although in practice this will still take a while).

• @balph said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@Carnbot said:
    Just read some rumours which said proper font management (well needed) and “the ability to cycle through different versions of the same app”.
    Hmm, I’ll believe it when I see for music apps as that would mean Multi instance standalone IAA :D

I used to loathe IAA and want everything to be au. But recently I’m finding the full screen and unlimited nature of IAA has its own pros. Especially on phones.

IAA is here to stay for the foreseeable future, really premature of apps like NS2 to not internally support it :/ It’s like ‘hey, I’m going to ignore this whole eco system and pretend it doesn’t exist, because in an ideal world it would be different’... nice dream but While IAA still offers unique apps or functions over AU, multi instance IAA would be great :)

It seems like the IAA API is fully deprecated in iOS 13: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/audiotoolbox?changes=latest_minor

It’s understandable that the developer of NS2 is not going to support a deprecated technology, since it can now be removed at any moment (although in practice this will still take a while).

So basically they removed IAA support from IOS 13?

Need to see who upgrades their apps to AUv3 and who doesnt before spending another dime.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited June 2019

@Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

@rthr said:

@MonzoPro said:

Yeah that’s definitely the market they are aiming for, going to be a more useful and capable device going forward :)

I’m in the same boat. I want to do more work stuff with my 12.9 for video and art, but without those features I need a laptop too etc.

At the moment I'm not using the iPad for graphics or video at all - despite having the Affinity apps. It's really down to storage as my Air 2 is full to the brim with music stuff - I don't even use if for email. External storage would completely change all that, mouse input too, and I'd finally get myself an Apple pencil. Makes sense really as my day job is graphics/web design, and at the moment I use a Wacom for any freehand stuff.

Yep, this would be a game changer for me, and as a bonus I'd have a bigger iPad for musdic stuff!

• @EyeOhEss said:

@balph said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@Carnbot said:

If IAA is totally gone now in iOS 13 then I think my time with Apple stuff might be over...I won’t be updating.

But surely that’s not how it is though and they’ll allow some kind of transitional stage? And through this transitional stage I’ll probably continue to choose hosts that internally support IAA, instead of those that don’t...

Don’t get me wrong, i’m ‘pro’ AU in general, but I’m also ‘pro’ a bunch of great IAA apps that I use a lot...hopefully it all works out and those apps get full AU versions.

There is pro’s and con’s to this.
    The big pro is that Apple keeps IOS fresh and modern
    And it doesn’t have to lug allthe old compatibillity profiles with it,
    that makes windows such a log..

I am most interested to see how many developers take up this glove and move on to the improved AUv3. And what developers have deserted their apps...

• @Paul16 said:

@MonzoPro said:

a long overdue 'proper thing' at that

Yeah, since day 1 I was asking why I couldn't use a USB drive. In a way I'm surprised they're doing this, since it reduces the need to spend more on bigger internal storage.

• edited June 2019

@Bachus said:

@balph said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@Carnbot said:

So basically they removed IAA support from IOS 13?

Need to see who upgrades their apps to AUv3 and who doesnt before spending another dime.

It'll still work for a while, though it's being phased out.

I'm more interested in how many devs will be replacing their IAA apps with completely new AU versions, since that could get very, very expensive.

• edited June 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @balph said:

Most likely it means that no new apps can be built using IAA but the run-time will remain at least on iOS.

Also interesting note there is that..
    "Inter-App Audio is deprecated in iOS 13 and is unavailable when running iPad apps in macOS."

When iOS12 hit I had exactly one app that I used quite often that was not yet 64-bit ready and when it was updated all got cool, took a few weeks after iOS12 was released for it to drop.

Time will tell what happens this time around, but since I use my iPad for other stuff as well the new file-management will be well worth the 'sacrifice' of some IAA apps if they would indeed stop to work...

• @MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

@rthr said:

@MonzoPro said:

At the moment I'm not using the iPad for graphics or video at all - despite having the Affinity apps. It's really down to storage as my Air 2 is full to the brim with music stuff - I don't even use if for email. External storage would completely change all that, mouse input too, and I'd finally get myself an Apple pencil. Makes sense really as my day job is graphics/web design, and at the moment I use a Wacom for any freehand stuff.

Yep, this would be a game changer for me, and as a bonus I'd have a bigger iPad for musdic stuff!

I can see Adobe stepping up their game into iPadOS now, Photoshop got delayed, maybe they were waiting for these pro features, as it's just such a faff without them. I have the Affinity apps etc but because ios is basically awful for this stuff I don't bother really and just use my desktop and laptop. iPadOs will hopefully change this quickly. :)

• @Samu said:

@balph said:

Most likely it means that no new apps can be built using IAA but the run-time will remain at least on iOS.

Yeah that's probably it, they'll reject new IAA apps but keep it working for now.

• @Carnbot said:

Yeah that's probably it, they'll reject new IAA apps but keep it working for now.

It will be interesting to see if the next update to GarageBand will support IAA :)

• @Samu said:

@Carnbot said:

It will be interesting to see if the next update to GarageBand will support IAA :)

If it doesn’t thats more then a subtle hint..

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LFSLFS
    edited June 2019

@MobileMusic said:

Hi @MobileMusic,

S-O-O-N... repeating myself again... ;)

Best,
    Lars