Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Nanokey problem - or am I being stupid?

Dear all

I've got the Korg Nanokey, which I've had for over a year but hadn't really used, largely owing to me thinking I'd broken it because I'd dropped it and it wouldn't charge. However, I've realised that it does seem to work perfectly running on batteries.

My problem, though, is this: when I assign the knobs in AUM to different parameters, it works, but also has the peculiar effect of switching tracks on and off as I move the knobs. For example, in a test project (just a Rosetta bassline automatically generated), I've got Troublemaker on one track and Phasemaker on another track. I've assigned all eight Nanokey knobs to the virtual knobs in Troublemaker (i.e. Reso, cutoff, etc.) and it all works really well, except for one big problem: as I turn the knobs the 'mute' in other AUM tracks (depending on which knob I twiddle) toggles on and off constantly.

So, for instance, if I press play on the project and then start twiddling the knobs on Nanokey, Troublemaker makes all the right noises, but the knobs toggle on/off other tracks in the mix, meaning that Nanokey is unusable. I hope I'm making sense here - feel free to ask me questions, or even to tell me I'm being dumb! This is just doing my head in because other than the possibility that Nanokey is broke (which seems likely), I have no idea what could cause such behaviour. The only channel/track with knobs assigned in Nanokey is the channel with Troublemaker on it, so, in theory, no other tracks or synths should be at all affected by my controlling Troublemaker.

If you have any idea what might be causing this mad behaviour, other than the Nanokey being broken, I'd really appreciate any advice. I think it's probable that I just need to buy a new controller, but I don't want to do that and then find out the problem is something completely different. Many thanks in advance - I appreciate it.

Comments

• If you haven’t done so already, you should close down AUM completely, reboot your device, and start a new AUM session to see if the problem goes away.

If it doesn’t then the next troubleshooting step would be to put a midi monitor such as the one in MIDI Tools by Victor Porof into an empty session, point the NanoKey to it and then tweak a dial to see what is coming out.

Another quick troubleshooting step if you have another host like Audiobus or Ape Matrix, is to see if the same behavior happens there.

• @wim said:
    If you haven’t done so already, you should close down AUM completely, reboot your device, and start a new AUM session to see if the problem goes away.

If it doesn’t then the next troubleshooting step would be to put a midi monitor such as the one in MIDI Tools by Victor Porof into an empty session, point the NanoKey to it and then tweak a dial to see what is coming out.

Another quick troubleshooting step if you have another host like Audiobus or Ape Matrix, is to see if the same behavior happens there.

Many thanks, Wim, much appreciated. I'll do as you suggest. As it happens, I bought the Nanokey from Amazon last year. I'd intended to send it back but was ill, so forgot. But I went to Amazon just now and it still says 'return approved', so I'll try that if I can't get it working. I might just try it, anyway, to save me the hassle! Good stuff - thanks for your reply.

• R_2R_2
    edited June 2019

Sounds like some weird midi controls assigned to those knobs.
    As suggested by wim, monitor the midi data sent from your NanoKey. I use Midiwrench, it’s free.

Page 23 of the manual explains how to reset the NanoKey to factory settings. Might fix it.

• @audio_DT said:

@wim said:
    If you haven’t done so already, you should close down AUM completely, reboot your device, and start a new AUM session to see if the problem goes away.

Many thanks, Wim, much appreciated. I'll do as you suggest. As it happens, I bought the Nanokey from Amazon last year. I'd intended to send it back but was ill, so forgot. But I went to Amazon just now and it still says 'return approved', so I'll try that if I can't get it working. I might just try it, anyway, to save me the hassle! Good stuff - thanks for your reply.

As wim says, use a MIDI monitor to see what is being sent. This doesn't sound like a hardware problem.

• The Korg Nanokey studio doesn’t actually have a built in rechargeable battery does it?

• @BiancaNeve said:
    The Korg Nanokey studio doesn’t actually have a built in rechargeable battery does it?

Not built-in, no. I’ve done the midi monitor and used one or two other things to test it, as well. It’s odd - each knob seems to be sending out the right signals, but in AUM the knobs trigger the on/off for adjacent channels, as well as doing what they’re programmed to do (I.e. move the appropriate parameters). I’ve no idea what’s going on with it - I spent ages last night trying to find a fix, but with no luck. I’ve filtered channels and tried all sorts of things. But no joy. And I read in the manual last night that it’s not possible to do a factory reset unless you plug it in - which I can’t do because the plug-in connector is broke. I don’t know if I’m stuck with a broken device or if it’s a problem in AUM. All the midi tests I’ve done (using audio veek’s ‘midi monitor’) seem to suggest the device is working normally - but it definitely isn’t in AUM. Baffling.

• @audio_DT : if a MIDI monitor is only detecting the right stuff, the nanokey isn't the issue. You need to look at MIDI mappings that are on in AUM or the things loaded into AUM.

If you send the same CCs from something besides the Nanokey, you will get the same result.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @audio_DT : if a MIDI monitor is only detecting the right stuff, the nanokey isn't the issue. You need to look at MIDI mappings that are on in AUM or the things loaded into AUM.

If you send the same CCs from something besides the Nanokey, you will get the same result.

Thanks. I've flummoxed, at this point, because I know I've got everything set up correctly in AUM (well, I think I do!), but the problem persists. I've spent hours and hours trying to work it out. Need a rest from it now!