Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

WoodStepper from Woodmans Immaculate Maple Syrup Studio is out.

Comments

• @Trueyorky said:
    I am finding Woodstepper is capable of many different uses - this probably adds to confusion for some to understand what this app is. The reality is it can be many things - MIDI and audio sequencer, effects processor, sampler, looper etc., another great addition to iOS music. Top stuff 🙂

@Trueyorky Agreed when you see the word sequencer it sets a certain conception in you head what to expect.

My first hour with this was WTF ! Then the penny dropped as to what it can actually do.

A tutorial video on this one would sell it for people a lot more.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@Trueyorky said:
    I am finding Woodstepper is capable of many different uses - this probably adds to confusion for some to understand what this app is. The reality is it can be many things - MIDI and audio sequencer, effects processor, sampler, looper etc., another great addition to iOS music. Top stuff 🙂

@Trueyorky Agreed when you see the word sequencer it sets a certain conception in you head what to expect.

My first hour with this was WTF ! Then the penny dropped as to what it can actually do.

A tutorial video on this one would sell it for people a lot more.

Ha, that was me 😁

• @woodman - I’m enjoying this a great deal, but finding the “Midi Out” panel to be a head scratcher. I cannot seem to route the midi from Woodstepper to another destination in AUM or ApeMatrix, as Woodstepper is not listed as a midi source. I believe I’m missing something very basic here. Please explain...

• edited June 2019

@ALB said:
    @woodman - I’m enjoying this a great deal, but finding the “Midi Out” panel to be a head scratcher. I cannot seem to route the midi from Woodstepper to another destination in AUM or ApeMatrix, as Woodstepper is not listed as a midi source. I believe I’m missing something very basic here. Please explain...

In AUM add a new audio channel and choose “AUM destination” as the MIDI source. In WoodStepper it all happens on the MIDI out panel which must be set for each step with note on and off. Just tested driving Sunrizer AU with notes and cc messages. It works 🙂

Then I added another instance of WoodStepper in the effects slot to process the Sunrizer audio. All synced with AUM start / stop. Clever stuff.

• look forward to seeing a video walkthrough. I'm not that keen on non-scaleable guis though. But looks interesting :)

• @ALB : I'll check it out further but can you check that the "Enable" button is on (for all steps) in the Midi panel ?
    In some of the demo presets it was switched off and it took me a few minutes to realise that :-)
    In Cubasis2 and NanoStudio it seemed to work. I'll check AUM later.

Woodman

• @Trueyorky and @woodman - thanks for the responses. I am used to AU apps being listed as the specific source in AUM, but in this case choosing “AUM destination” did the trick. Much obliged...

• @Trueyorky said:

I sense this, but we on the Dolt Squad need proper learning.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Trueyorky said:

I sense this, but we on the Dolt Squad need proper learning.

Hopefully Mr Woodman @woodman will step in with some helpful videos.

• hi all,

I will try to make a few videos of how to get started this week although I am sure Doug and some others will make much nicer videos ...

Woodman

• @woodman said:
    hi all,

I will try to make a few videos of how to get started this week although I am sure Doug and some others will make much nicer videos ...

Woodman

Bravo!

• edited June 2019

Just spent some time with it... seems like a good start but seems to be some ui/ux challenges...

1. So you can change params per step (touch step light for a track, adjust a param like delay send) but every time you touch a step light, it deactivates the step, even if you’re touching to set a param... painful... really needs something like a ring around each step led to indicate if the step is active or not
    2. Really really needs real-time motion recording option. Press a record button, move knobs, values are set as seq moves over the step
    3. Nothing worthwhile is exposed as AU/midi params, so twisting knobs to set params live wont be happening...
    4. For some insane reason, the advanced page is set PER PRESET!
    5. Considering the immense number of params that can be set for a preset, including the aforementioned advanced tab, the lack of a reset or init preset is silly... I loaded a preset, and honestly I’m not going to use this thing much more because it will take too long between “ideas” to make sure it’s an actually clean slate without some fiddly setting in a sub tab being set wrong...

It feels like this app underwent zero user acceptance or outside beta testing...

By far the biggest issue is lack of a visual representation of active steps while seq is playing and how touching steps to program also deactivates them...

Also, while it’s still cheap, $12.99 is too expensive for this app... Especially when you contrast it to the ultimate FSU app Turnado which is far more powerful and often this same price...

It will be interesting to see if this is developed to be more usable.

• are there any videos of this app?

• @woodman One thing I have noticed when I open the app as standalone mode the app sort of stutters and my screen colour changes before opening which is really strange.

• @woodman stupid niggle/comment/observation:

The app logo on iTunes has two different colors of blue. One the bluer on the outside of the letters, and two on the inside of the p and e etc which is more green.

I checked with a color picker after my eyes kept insisting something was different

🤔🤪😁

• @MonkeyDrummer : tnx for your feedback and I will definitely take it into account for the next update.
    a question on issue 1 when touching a led to set params : normally it goes to the disabled state after you press it the second time (led turns yellow), so when the led has its specific colour it means the params updated will be for that step.
    Did you observe this differently ?
    Woodman

• @woodman said:
    @MonkeyDrummer : tnx for your feedback and I will definitely take it into account for the next update.
    a question on issue 1 when touching a led to set params : normally it goes to the disabled state after you press it the second time (led turns yellow), so when the led has its specific colour it means the params updated will be for that step.
    Did you observe this differently ?
    Woodman

In rereading the manual it may be working as intended as apparently you can’t change setting per step while the sequencer is running... which seems kinda odd. It like only being able to adjust the sounds of a synth while the power is off...

In addition to live recording of knobs, the ability to adjust perstep while it’s runnig (maybe hold down led step and make changes kinda how electron does trig conditions?)

As I said, it’s a pretty clever app, interesting ideas, etc... but I think it just needs more run/real-time considerations.

It’s kinda like a “batch-mode” app now.

• @MonkeyDrummer : points taken, I am already making changes ... expect an update next week.
    Woodman

• hi all,
    v1.1 is out and fixes all the issues mentioned by @MonkeyDrummer.
    It also has a new Slew rate control for the oscillator and a setting to choose between the Just scale or the EqualTempered scale for the pitch shifter.
    Woodman

• @woodman said:
    hi all,
    v1.1 is out and fixes all the issues mentioned by @MonkeyDrummer.
    It also has a new Slew rate control for the oscillator and a setting to choose between the Just scale or the EqualTempered scale for the pitch shifter.
    Woodman

hi, just curious which just scale it is tuned to? is it tuneable, or is it a fixed scale of small frequency ratios?

• This company thoroughly impresses me.

• @palm : if you take an interval of let's say a major third (C-E) the ratio (of freq_out / freq_in) is
    5/4 = 1.2500 in the Just scale
    12root of 2 (= fixed ratio for each next semitone) to the pow 4 = 1.25992 in the EqualTempered scale.
    so you can only choose between those 2 scales.
    however as I also added a button to switch off harmonic lock, you can set any pitch ratio you want (per step)

more info on the scales can be found at http://pages.mtu.edu/~suits/scales.html

Woodman

• @RUST( i )K said:
    This company thoroughly impresses me.

Yep

• tnx ! spread the word :-)

• edited June 2019

@woodman
    thanks for the response. I think the confusion is that there isn't one just scale. the one you linked to is one of many possible 5 limit scales, but there are literally an infinite amount of 12 tone harmonic scales.
    When you say you can manually enter ratios, is it by dialing in cents with a knob or entering an exact frequency ratio? sorry for so many questions.. I guess until I see videos, I'm not sure if it's going to do what I hope it can do.

I welcome any app that features microtonality in any form, but I hope that more devs become aware of the fine work that's being done at audiokit with Tuneup. I can only dream that more apps will adopt it.

https://audiokitpro.com/tag/tuneup/

as it stands, having microtonal scales that exist only in one plugin or app, is sort of like having a really cool polyrhythmic drum machine that can't be synced with anything else. Fine if you're only using the one app, but as soon as you try playing a microtonal app with another that can't be retuned, the dabbler will find the just scale to be "out of tune" (even though funnily enough, it's the one that is actually in tune)

• @woodman said:
    tnx ! spread the word :-)

No need the apps are multi faceted and DEEP DEEP into modulation of multiple parameters, LFOs, and signal chain flow effects and routing.

Sick shit TBH

I must admit I have been busy and just saw the new sequencing app.

Very exciting and will use for hardware.

Will grab this weekend and report back .....

• still hoping for a video anything posted yet. i got a few cool sounds out of it, but have no clue what i’m doing> @Carnbot said:

look forward to seeing a video walkthrough. I'm not that keen on non-scaleable guis though. But looks interesting :)

• @palm : the 2 first images show the fixed ratios when going from "fifth" to "dim fifth" with harmonic lock on.
    the last images shows that you can set any value in between when harmonic lock is off.
    is that explaining enough for you ?
    I will also have a look at the other Just scales ...

Woodman

• Would I be right in thinking that this can sequence samples, and parameter-lock them?

• @mistercharlie : yes it can sequence samples (by sampling whatever is on your audio track or is coming in live) ;
    each step the sample is replayed and then processed by the pitch, filter, etc (which also have params set per step)

Woodman