Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Paperlike screen protector is great for music!

Just got a paperlike screen protector for my iPad (bersem brand) and I am AMAZED at how much more pleasant, accurate, and efficient it makes working in music apps. Getting rid of the slickness makes playing on the screen a joy suddenly. Onscreen pads and keys feel like instruments now (especially pads since there’s a smooth rubberiness that really encourages “playing” rather than “tapping”). And since fingers don’t stick to the screen when dragging knobs and faders, I’m able to dial in settings with none of the old fuss. Even dragging clips around in sequencers somehow feels better.

Turns out 80% of my qualms with touchscreens and music weren’t about “touch” per se but about smooth glass. Anyone else have a similar experience? I think I found my “game changer.”

Comments

• @legsmechanical that’s very interesting! Thanks for posting. Curious if you can easily “reuse” these if you want the glass sometimes?

• @tput73 said:
    @legsmechanical that’s very interesting! Thanks for posting. Curious if you can easily “reuse” these if you want the glass sometimes?

It’d probably be more of a pain than it’s woth since taking it off will inevitably introduce dust onto the protector, which really messes it up - application takes some time and attention as well. The only downside is that the screen does get a fine papery grain that is fairly noticeable with light shaded colors, but I’ve quickly gotten used to it, and the benefits for me far outweigh that slight “cost.”

• edited May 2019

Interesting, yeah I'm curious and also interested in re-use ability :)
    ...wondered about pencil use, then looked online, seems better too.

• Pencil works better than ever before!

• I was shipped a paperlike and it came all scrunched up in my mailbox. I contacted them and asked if they would send it again but with a different carrier and maybe put a ‘do not bend’ sticker on it. The second one showed up the exact same way, completely destroyed.

Customer service was annoying. A bunch of fake auto replies that tried too hard to sound human / sincere and when I did get through to a human they said their decision to resend it the exact same way ‘was a statistical decision’. They could have spent a a couple bucks more and had a loyal customer but instead they just got a guy now slagging them on the internet.

Anyway, real world friends have told me that the ten dollar matte screen protectors on amazon are just as good.

• It also nearly removes all the glare and has a flattening effect that gives me much more of the feeling I get when using hardware. I no longer feel like I’m interacting with a representation of a thing, but with the thing itself (if that makes sense). There’s obviously some psychology at work here, so ymmv.

• While not needed for glass top iPad Pros, glass overlays make the iPad 2018 much more touch friendly. What's the paper like one? Amazon link?

• Paper-Like iPad Pro 12.9 Screen Protector (2018), BERSEM Paperlike iPad pro 12.9 Matte PET Film for Drawing Anti-Glare and Paper Texture iPad Pro 12.9 Screen Protector (2 Pack) Easy Installation Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N362JCW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_4RP7CbW1EY9NW

• Thanks, I wonder how does it compare to the one from paperlike.com? They're the original I think but a bit more expensive. There are so many knockoffs on Amazon, hard to tell what's legit and what isn't.

• @legsmechanical said:
    Paper-Like iPad Pro 12.9 Screen Protector (2018), BERSEM Paperlike iPad pro 12.9 Matte PET Film for Drawing Anti-Glare and Paper Texture iPad Pro 12.9 Screen Protector (2 Pack) Easy Installation Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N362JCW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_4RP7CbW1EY9NW

This isn't the actual 'Paperlike' one from the kickstarter.

• @nondes said:
    Thanks, I wonder how does it compare to the one from paperlike.com? They're the original I think but a bit more expensive. There are so many knockoffs on Amazon, hard to tell what's legit and what isn't.

Everyone tells me they are no different. Paperlike just got moderately popular/viral via the kickstarter. Friends of mine who are artists for a living all seem to chime in just try the cheapest matte protectors you can find and they are the same thing. (Not at all trying to steer sales from Paperlike. ;) )

• $35,99 for a screen protector.......that are Apple prices. I use my iPad naked, and I like it that way :)

• I ordered the 2-pack from Paperlike a few months ago for my 12.9 2018 iPad Pro and love it. The feel and glare reduction are great, but the biggest benefit for me is how much it cuts down on fingerprints.

I don’t know how reusable they are, but I still have the second one if this first one ever gets gross.

• @Pierre118 said:
    $35,99 for a screen protector.......that are Apple prices. I use my iPad naked, and I like it that way :)

Price is bonkers, but I decided it was worth it after using it on my buddies device and comparing to the original paperlike.

• I don't know about paperlike (that's a brand?) but I put matte finish protectors on my ipads and agree it is a much better experience with music apps

• Thanks for the tips bros. I'm gonna try one.

• I find it very good. The drawing experience with the Apple pencil is indeed a bit paper-like. I applied the foil more than a year ago, and it still functions as on the first day. I guess it will take some time until I have to replace the foil with the second one from the package, if at all.

@AudioGus: sorry to hear about your bad luck with shipping.

• I have this one and love it:

iCarez (Updated Version) [Anti-Glare] Matte Screen Protector for Apple 12.9-inch iPad Pro 12.9 2018 [2-Pack] Premium PET Film (Not Glass) Easy to Install (Compatible with Face ID) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZKL8WH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_caY8Cb65WZS54

• @echoopera said:
    I have this one and love it:

iCarez (Updated Version) [Anti-Glare] Matte Screen Protector for Apple 12.9-inch iPad Pro 12.9 2018 [2-Pack] Premium PET Film (Not Glass) Easy to Install (Compatible with Face ID) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZKL8WH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_caY8Cb65WZS54

How's the rainbow effect? It's the only thing that bugs me on mine (but only slightly and only sometimes..... )

• @legsmechanical said:

@echoopera said:
    I have this one and love it:

How's the rainbow effect? It's the only thing that bugs me on mine (but only slightly and only sometimes..... )

I never notice a rainbow effect. Just matte goodness even in bright light.

• I am not familiar with these matte screen protectors. My screen protector is the one I let the dude at Best Buy up sell me, just some basic stuff. So you guys are saying these things improve touch interaction, less sliding, etc. I do ALL of my recording via touch screen instruments, play everything in live. Do I need to jump on this? Will it improve my playing? I always feel like it’d be better with a. Less sliding, b. With a bit of a pressed feel.

• I would not say that such screen protectors improve touch interaction. At least for me I don't see any advantage. It's the pencil drawing experience, and to reduce reflection when you are drawing outdoors. So for music apps only I wouldn't recommend them.

• @db909
    I'd say the experience of on-screen playing is very much improved. But the difference may come down to the fact that the one I have has a lot of texture that keeps my fingers where I want them to be and gives me much more tactile "feedback" than glass (I am keenly aware of each touch to the screen, regardless of how lightly I brush it.... with the plain old glass the lack of "feedback" often left me wondering if I was touching the screen at all sometimes. And it weirdly seems like its much easier for me physically intuit the distance between my digits and the thing I'm trying to touch).

• It looks like those with control of the pencil don't like to use protection and those without recommend it to practice "safe sax". What about viruses?

• edited June 2019

I don't know how you use your ipad but I have never had the 'fingers stick to the screen' problem. It goes as smooth as any glass surface for me.

• Save a few bucks by using nose grease :D

@legsmechanical said:
    Just got a paperlike screen protector for my iPad (bersem brand) and I am AMAZED at how much more pleasant, accurate, and efficient it makes working in music apps. Getting rid of the slickness makes playing on the screen a joy suddenly. Onscreen pads and keys feel like instruments now (especially pads since there’s a smooth rubberiness that really encourages “playing” rather than “tapping”). And since fingers don’t stick to the screen when dragging knobs and faders, I’m able to dial in settings with none of the old fuss. Even dragging clips around in sequencers somehow feels better.

Turns out 80% of my qualms with touchscreens and music weren’t about “touch” per se but about smooth glass. Anyone else have a similar experience? I think I found my “game changer.”