Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OB-Xd by Jorge Reales

Comments

• Yeah I really like this synth, kept the original AUv3 version on my ipad til it gets updated. Very easy to use.

• @EyeOhEss said:
    Is this app worth all the drama? Better than Syntronik for OB sounds? Big fan of that sound, Syntronik normally makes me pretty happy for this on iPad. Just a little sceptical that a freeware clone is going to beat the Syntronik for ‘those’ sounds. In spite of Syntronik’s shortcomings...

The OB style voice panning is awesome. Otherwise it just sounds like another generic synth to me :)

• @EyeOhEss

Obxd is a full subtractive synthesizer with waveforms generates and modulated in real-time . Synthtronik is a romper with synth sounds. You’ll get far more mileage out of obxd (if it ever works) that synthtronic as a result.

• I am playing with it right now and I love the sound of it. Super fat sounds.

• @EyeOhEss said:
    Is this app worth all the drama? Better than Syntronik for OB sounds? Big fan of that sound, Syntronik normally makes me pretty happy for this on iPad. Just a little sceptical that a freeware clone is going to beat the Syntronik for ‘those’ sounds. In spite of Syntronik’s shortcomings...

do you understand differ3nce between true synth emulation and just rompler packed with few samples ? Difference between beign locked with few sampled sounds vs. total freedom of making any sound you can imagine.

Doesn't matter for somebody, totally matters for other. Like me :) Totally not interes ted in rompler (which is basically Syntronik), totally interested in true emulation (which is OBxd)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The synth sounds fantastic and will be a powerhouse if / when functioning correctly. With the shady KVR “stuff” aside, he stated 1-2 weeks to work out the GUI kinks, so.......In a surprising turn of events I’m gonna keep the cup half full and > @EyeOhEss said:

@dendy said:

@EyeOhEss said:

do you understand differ3nce between true synth emulation and just rompler packed with few samples ? Difference between beign locked with few sampled sounds vs. total freedom of making any sound you can imagine.

Doesn't matter for somebody, totally matters for other. Like me :) Totally not interes ted in rompler (which is basically Syntronik), totally interested in true emulation (which is OBxd)

Yeah of course I get that ;) I did make sure I mentioned ‘in spite of Syntronik’s shortcomings’ ;)

But unless it’s really damn good, I’d personally maybe rather have real samples (still a lot of tweakability...) for a lot of those classic OB sounds. Many are covered in Syntronik... of course if this was Repro-5 type quality of emulation I wouldn’t even consider a Rompler style alternative, but is it even anywhere close to that level of emulation authenticity? I never heard anyone mention or recommend this option when I was grabbing OB emu on desktop (I was recommended and grabbed op-x pro 2..which I really like!). Which makes me wonder if Syntronik isn’t the better option on iOS, some really nice OB sounds!

Maybe someone can post some favourite sounds from this then I can see if I can get them in Syntronik and figure out if I need to grab this :)

You can compose, light, shoot and edit the photo yourself. Or, you can buy a stock photograph of the same subject. OB-Xd vs. Syntronik. If you like the OB sound palette and are comfortable designing sounds with its architecture then in my opinion there is no question that OB-Xd is the better option here. If for nothing else the filter. Syntronik uses a fairly generic filter while OB-Xd specifically captures the OB filter; which contributes heavily to the unique sound of the original synth.

I can’t say it’s close to Repro-5 authenticity (is there anything else that is??). But if it’s a comparison of iOS apps between Syntronik and OB-Xd then I’m going with OB-Xd all in. With of course a good faith that all the bugs will be worked out. I’d wait until then.

• @EyeOhEss said:

Interesting video!
    I think it doesn't really represent how good this app can sound though, as he says in the video, you can use each app to it's strengths.
    I like having everything on one screen compared to ISEM so I find the sound design a bit more fun than on that. (Although ISEM is great too)

I've transferred some presets from the desktop version and it can sound very big and juicy. :)

• @EyeOhEss said:

@brice said:
    The synth sounds fantastic and will be a powerhouse if / when functioning correctly. With the shady KVR “stuff” aside, he stated 1-2 weeks to work out the GUI kinks, so.......In a surprising turn of events I’m gonna keep the cup half full and > @EyeOhEss said:

@dendy said:

@EyeOhEss said:

Yeah of course I get that ;) I did make sure I mentioned ‘in spite of Syntronik’s shortcomings’ ;)

But unless it’s really damn good, I’d personally maybe rather have real samples (still a lot of tweakability...) for a lot of those classic OB sounds. Many are covered in Syntronik... of course if this was Repro-5 type quality of emulation I wouldn’t even consider a Rompler style alternative, but is it even anywhere close to that level of emulation authenticity? I never heard anyone mention or recommend this option when I was grabbing OB emu on desktop (I was recommended and grabbed op-x pro 2..which I really like!). Which makes me wonder if Syntronik isn’t the better option on iOS, some really nice OB sounds!

Maybe someone can post some favourite sounds from this then I can see if I can get them in Syntronik and figure out if I need to grab this :)

You can compose, light, shoot and edit the photo yourself. Or, you can buy a stock photograph of the same subject. OB-Xd vs. Syntronik. If you like the OB sound palette and are comfortable designing sounds with its architecture then in my opinion there is no question that OB-Xd is the better option here. If for nothing else the filter. Syntronik uses a fairly generic filter while OB-Xd specifically captures the OB filter; which contributes heavily to the unique sound of the original synth.

I can’t say it’s close to Repro-5 authenticity (is there anything else that is??). But if it’s a comparison of iOS apps between Syntronik and OB-Xd then I’m going with OB-Xd all in. With of course a good faith that all the bugs will be worked out. I’d wait until then.

All I know is that when I want OB vibes for those classic brass and strings sounds etc, syntronik pretty much nails the sounds I want 90% of the time. Whether rompler or not. Whether modelled filter or not. And I’m only really interested in the ‘sound’ for those things...whether they have that ‘magic’.

A lot of modelled synths have a clear audible kinship with whatever they’re cloned after but the spirit/mojo is gone... I guess that’s what I was asking. Does this feel like the real deal when it hits your ears/brain? Or more like a tracing/average impersonation of it?

I just bought Lorentz on sale, and was able to make three super cool custom filter sweep patches in my first hour of messing with it. None of the included presets were exactly the same as the patches I made.

For me that's the difference between a romper and an emulator. I can make the sounds I like best on an emulator. The emulator is a sound design instrument. A romper is only a sound player.

The other deal breaker for me in rompers, are the enormous size of romper apps.

I'm going to wait until I hear positive things about OB-Xd on this forum before I buy it. But I'm really hoping the developer comes through with a great app. The OB-X is one of my all time favorite sounding synths.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@brice said:
    The synth sounds fantastic and will be a powerhouse if / when functioning correctly. With the shady KVR “stuff” aside, he stated 1-2 weeks to work out the GUI kinks, so.......In a surprising turn of events I’m gonna keep the cup half full and > @EyeOhEss said:

@dendy said:

@EyeOhEss said:

All I know is that when I want OB vibes for those classic brass and strings sounds etc, syntronik pretty much nails the sounds I want 90% of the time. Whether rompler or not. Whether modelled filter or not. And I’m only really interested in the ‘sound’ for those things...whether they have that ‘magic’.

A lot of modelled synths have a clear audible kinship with whatever they’re cloned after but the spirit/mojo is gone... I guess that’s what I was asking. Does this feel like the real deal when it hits your ears/brain? Or more like a tracing/average impersonation of it?

The spirit is far more present in OB-Xd I would say. For example, load “Unison FM Filter Sweep” in Syntronik. That’s a lovely example of the OB’s filter resonance. But try and reduce or increase that resonance. You can’t. It’s baked into the sample. Syntronik’s filters are universal doorways across all of its content. That’s not a bad thing, and Syntronik does accel at what it does. If it fits your needs then that’s all you need. But OB-Xd allows you to dig way deeper with far more control over every stage of the architecture. It’s cheap....use both.

• This thing really sounds pretty damn good. New auv3 “beta” and iaa just got released. Still no way to save patches though which is a bummer.

• installed on my Air2, seems like the gui problem is still the same though for AU version. Holding back on updating still from the original for a bit .

• @carbonchris said:
    This thing really sounds pretty damn good. New auv3 “beta” and iaa just got released. Still no way to save patches though which is a bummer.

Should be straightforward to re-save the patches in OB-Xd if it eventually gets it’s own built in system, but at least AUM’s preset save system works with it again with the latest update. not sure about other hosts yet.

1.0.3 seems to be looking and working exactly as it did at 1.0 — broken AU interface and no standalone keyboard but at least can somewhat use it on a 12.9 pro.

• Unbelievable

• Par for the course at this point.

• I messed with the desktop version for a good bit after getting my OB-6, looking for a portable version I could mess with when I couldn't bring the hardware with me. I'll be honest, I never really got the Oberheim vibe from the software. The knobs and signal flow were definitely inline with how the hardware works, but the sound was only vaguely similar to me.

I'm not an analog or hardware purist at all, but I never really got the hype for this one. Just didn't sound or react the way I expected having hands on time with an example of the real deal. Not saying it's not a good synth, but it's not really filling the role of a clone for me.

• Cool. I'm happy with a $4 IAA facsimile of an OB. Works for me. Despite the awful graphics problems, the synth and filter do sound quite good, the voice panning makes for some nice arpeggio patterns, and slamming on sawtooth AND pulse waves makes some kinda minor magic happen.

• edited June 2019

@Carnbot said:
    installed on my Air2, seems like the gui problem is still the same though for AU version. Holding back on updating still from the original for a bit .

You can safely update, and you get the bonus of a fully functional IAA synth in the meantime, at least on a 10.5". The AU is back just still hideous (still works if you've got the patience to match the knobs to the proper spacing).

• @oat_phipps said:

@Carnbot said:
    installed on my Air2, seems like the gui problem is still the same though for AU version. Holding back on updating still from the original for a bit .

You can safely update, and you get the bonus of a fully functional IAA synth in the meantime, at least on a 10.5". The AU is back just still hideous (still works if you've got the patience to match the knobs to the proper spacing).

Thanks, yeah I’m still hopeful he’ll fix the gui. :)

• New update appeared this morning with Auv3 beta support.

I had to reboot iPad for the Au to show up. I managed to open it in audiobus and get sound out of it. But the ui is all messed up.

To resume the current state

Stand alone : works well, UI functional

iAA: works well, UI functional

Auv3 : works well, UI messed up (Beta)

• This release seems worse for me with the AU version on 12.9 ipads. I can't resize it properly unlike the v1. Unless I resize it to the max full screen width and height I can just about line it up but not as easily.

• In Germany we would say...

Technik die begeistert! 😎
    Technology that inspires!

I'm glad I didn't bought this app impulsively at release... 🙏

But I hope the best for all the early adopters that the dev makes this app useful!

• A few sound demos from José.

• @Carnbot said:

Right now he‘s busy calling users names at kvr...

• edited June 2019

@dermichl said:

@Carnbot said:

Right now he‘s busy calling users names at kvr...

nvm

• Maybe an actual programmer will be inspired to create their own version from the open source.