Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OB-Xd by Jorge Reales

Comments

• @legsmechanical said:

Edit: And I’ll add that I hope disco WILL walk away from iOS as a result of this. They are not adding value to the platform. They didn’t develop this synth in any meaningful sense (that was done by others) and it’s clear they aren’t capable of developing anything else that will add value. This is not the kind of situation where some new well-meaning developer is sticking their toe in the water with something cool -- this is a long-established company that has been watching their reputation circle around the drain for a while.

This right here! I love when devs to come to iOS, but who are we kidding? If all the signs are true we are asking for a disappointing experience just because we really want “x” synth on our device. I also have a hard time buying anything he says. His coder disappeared? Sounds like a bad cover imo. He doesn’t seem to take responsibility for anything based on his own responses. I’m taking the story from the guy who says he harassed him behind the scenes with a grain of salt, but what he’s said in his own words make it harder to dismiss some of the alleged behavior.

• I think the fact that he released a synth that didn't work speaks for itself. I'm certainly not defending him.

But a lot of people are charging for open source stuff. Norns is basically SuperCollider. There are numerous projects build on PureData that charge. I don't particularly have a problem with this as long as they play by the rules (which means releasing the source code). I'm more impressed if they become part of the community (e.g. Ardour is supported in part by the commercial ports of the project), but open source means you can do what you like with it.

If their contribution is trivial they will have trouble charging people (as you can get it for free) - if they charge too much, nothing is stopping somebody else undercutting them (anyone can compile the DiscoDSP code and release it as theirs. Totally legal).

Also I think when people hear the word 'porting' they think it's an insignificant amount of work. It isn't. It's great that some people can do this kind of work for free, but not everyone can, nor should they be expected to.

• “Built on” is entirely different from “is literally the same thing running in a different machine.”

• edited May 2019

Sorry cant use the app had to go for a refund. Move on.

• @legsmechanical said:
    “Built on” is entirely different from “is literally the same thing running in a different machine.”

It's actually not. Porting stuff is hard work - I know because I've done it.

• edited May 2019

@cian said:

@legsmechanical said:
    “Built on” is entirely different from “is literally the same thing running in a different machine.”

It's actually not. Porting stuff is hard work - I know because I've done it.

I think the discussion about work involved in porting and so on is a good one, but the dev in question appears to be taking the P, really. On my iPad Pro 2018, the gui is literally unusable, the functionality is zero, and it was all just a terrible, terrible mistake. But he must have known all that in advance of sending it to Apple - which is the problem here. Add to this the suspicious-sounding claim that someone else let him down (buck-passing), and we have a simple case of ‘red alert’.

• Oh yeah I'm not defending him. This is a pretty pathetic effort.

• I don’t want to defend his behavior on kvr or the cloud sub screwing over existing customers but he did add features to the original source code, published it and said he will post code for the iOS app soon.

https://github.com/reales/OB-Xd

• @rezidue said:
    I don’t want to defend his behavior on kvr or the cloud sub screwing over existing customers but he did add features to the original source code, published it and said he will post code for the iOS app soon.

He can say what he likes. It’s what he does that’s important - and tricking users into buying an app that doesn’t work is not a great start. Still, if he releases a newly-polished app that works as it should do, I’ll change my mind 🙂

• @audio_DT said:

@rezidue said:
    I don’t want to defend his behavior on kvr or the cloud sub screwing over existing customers but he did add features to the original source code, published it and said he will post code for the iOS app soon.

He can say what he likes. It’s what he does that’s important - and tricking users into buying an app that doesn’t work is not a great start. Still, if he releases a newly-polished app that works as it should do, I’ll change my mind 🙂

I hear you. Hopefully he redeems himself. I’ve got a soft spot for discodsp but mainly because of Arguru.

• New update is out, don't know if au is enabled again? 🤔

• Au is not enabled but the GUI now works properly.

• @ecou said:
    Au is not enabled but the GUI now works properly.

Thanks, I'll wait to update until au is enabled again then👍

• edited June 2019

iPad Pro 12.9 users might want to hold off on updating — I regret doing so, as I can’t even use it at all now (unless I’m missing something) — I intentionally skipped the 1.01 update since it killed AU support, previously the only way I could get it halfway working (albeit, with scrambled UI)

Today noticed the 1.02 update claiming GUI fixed on all iPad models and figured it’d be worth temporarily ditching AU to have a nice standalone working interface. YAY it looks right. .but where’s the keyboard? Doesn’t show up as a midi destination to any of my third party KB apps either, or in any of my hosts for that matter.

so no sound, whereas with the first release I could figure out what most misplaced knobs did and even save patches in AUM to a quite nice, dirty sounding synth.

Huge bummer.
    First app out of hundreds that I’ve considered asking Apple for a refund on, though I’ll probably give him the benefit of the doubt for now, provided it doesn’t take too long to fix.

• Was my very first refund as well. I’m very happy to do beta-, or in this case alpha-, testing, but to pay for the privilege? Nah.

• @ZenEagle said:
    iPad Pro 12.9 users might want to hold off on updating — I regret doing so, as I can’t even use it at all now (unless I’m missing something) — I intentionally skipped the 1.01 update since it killed AU support, previously the only way I could get it halfway working (albeit, with scrambled UI)

Today noticed the 1.02 update claiming GUI fixed on all iPad models and figured it’d be worth temporarily ditching AU to have a nice standalone working interface. YAY it looks right. .but where’s the keyboard? Doesn’t show up as a midi destination to any of my third party KB apps either, or in any of my hosts for that matter.

so no sound, whereas with the first release I could figure out what most misplaced knobs did and even save patches in AUM to a quite nice, dirty sounding synth.

Huge bummer.
    First app out of hundreds that I’ve considered asking Apple for a refund on, though I’ll probably give him the benefit of the doubt for now, provided it doesn’t take too long to fix.

Yup. Keyboard would be nice.

• edited June 2019

Now with another update out I will definetly give him the benefit of a doubt and let him keep my pocket money of 4 bucks. I want to believe, and as an appoholic I lack this app😁.

He has not impressed with this start in the iOS world but hey... give him a chance!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • He said AUv3 is coming in the next update (1.0.3): https://www.discodsp.com/news/

The botched release and weird transition to a subscription model for his desktop plugins have scared me away for the time being… until people confirm that the next release actually works as intended, because I really wanted this.

• edited June 2019

Wait for 1.03 update. We are still under 90 days, so refund is a possibility if there's something not on horizon soon.

• edited June 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • That's tiny on the iPhone display! But it is what it is!

• Good stuff. I sent this back for a refund because releasing it ‘as is’ was taking the piss. Will buy instantly once it actually works.

• I’ll buy again once everyone reports back positive things.

• So currently you cannot use the App at all?
    No way to play the Synth beside using a physical keyboard?
    :-o

• Still keeping my fingers crossed on this. Stumbled across this obxd 'one synth challenge' and some of the sounds people coax out of this synth are fantastic. https://sites.google.com/site/kvrosc/osc-61-obxd