Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OB-Xd by Jorge Reales

Comments

• Is this a special introduction pricing or just regular
    Can I hold out for the fixes or is it on sale so I should grab it now?

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    Is this a special introduction pricing or just regular
    Can I hold out for the fixes or is it on sale so I should grab it now?

On discoDSP’ facebook page, they say it’s intro price.

https://www.facebook.com/191079597601425/posts/2832352143474144?s=1390606723&sfns=mo

• I thought this was going to be universal? App Store says iPad only.

• Why the hell would you want to have a shitty release vs. working a bit longer to make sure its ready to go

• And kudos to apples review team! Great job, revealing even the subtle details...

• @mungbeans said:
    No keyboard, no presets, no way to load/save your own presets. How are you supposed to use this.

You can save presets in AUM .. Once they implement the built in patch save system, you can just save (convert) them to native presets.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Why the hell would you want to have a shitty release vs. working a bit longer to make sure its ready to go

It's kind of like getting a discounted beta version. I'm not worried about this approach as long as the shortcomings are fixed in the next few months. Depends a lot on how the developer handles feedback and suggestions.

• @pauly said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Why the hell would you want to have a shitty release vs. working a bit longer to make sure its ready to go

It's kind of like getting a discounted beta version. I'm not worried about this approach as long as the shortcomings are fixed in the next few months. Depends a lot on how the developer handles feedback and suggestions.

I’m with Oat on this. You have an intro price for a product that hasn’t been properly tested, meaning the people sitting on the fence may miss out on intro price, but the people that took that chance are now having the most important (imho) functionality removed until further notice. Beta testing in voluntary. You shouldn’t have to pay for it. I’m ok with an app needing work, but releasing an app that’s unusable the way it is intended to be used is not ok.

• edited May 2019

I’m genuinely excited to get my hands on this app (when it’s fully baked), and do wish the developer all the best in his efforts

...but...

This has to be up there as one of the least well-planned app releases I’ve witnessed.

• discoDSP has a catalog of well reviewed desktop synths, FX's and a Sampler that sell for $40-150.

They have put a foot in the waters of the IOS market with an initial offering at $4. We could see them retreat like a few other Desktop vendors have done (FabFilter... come back please) or we could encourage them to invest and support their efforts to master AUv3 on IOS. They have other products that could be
    ported but they need to see support for the effort.

Seriously, OB-Xd for $4 on IOS or $50 on the desktop? If we don't support proven/capable developers
    moving to make IOS products who will?

Does it deliver $4 in sound? FabFilter tried to reset the bar with a $30 FX App (which I did buy at %50 off).

• I can’t comment on sound but it delivers around the $2 mark on functionality. :D

• Just be patient, it’s at a discount price point probably for beta testing purposes. This dev is awesome so I gladly bought it even with the issues. The dev is also aware of the issues and will have an update soon. I stretched the screen out and also had the standalone open to reference the knobs. The sound itself is freaking awesome and I’m getting some cool acidy lines with it being ran by Rozeta Bassline and messing with the filter. After the update for the UI, this thing will be top notch especially at the intro price. I’m just a huge fanboy for this btw

• edited May 2019

@McD said:
    discoDSP has a catalog of well reviewed desktop synths, FX's and a Sampler that sell for $40-150.

They have put a foot in the waters of the IOS market with an initial offering at $4. We could see them retreat like a few other Desktop vendors have done (FabFilter... come back please) or we could encourage them to invest and support their efforts to master AUv3 on IOS. They have other products that could be
    ported but they need to see support for the effort.

Seriously, OB-Xd for $4 on IOS or $50 on the desktop? If we don't support proven/capable developers
    moving to make IOS products who will?

Does it deliver $4 in sound? FabFilter tried to reset the bar with a $30 FX App (which I did buy at %50 off).

I'm pretty sure it's absolutely free on desktop with a suggested donation of $49. And the point still stands...why would you release something that isn't close to your final vision for the product? It's like wearing an untucked shirt and no tie with a baseball cap to a business job interview and banking on getting a second interview to make a better impression. And with yours and others' 'hey guys let's cut em slack kumbaya' stuff they'll get it just because you're thirsty for more well-known developers to come over to iOS. There's principle man, there just is.

• There's the open beta route, for example, that I've seen more and more apps do in the last year.

• @oat_phipps said:
    There's the open beta route, for example, that I've seen more and more apps do in the last year.

It’s really that simple. I’m super supportive of developers and understand the limits of iOS and always manage my expectations accordingly. I never trash apps. And I usually don’t say things about fully developed apps that I don’t think are great. But we have to make it known that we’re not orphans begging for scraps and anything will do. Test your apps. Make sure they work. If you start off having to remove something because it wasn’t tested, that’s a terrible start that could have easily been avoided. If the dev abandoned iOS because we didn’t like having an app that doesn’t work, then he was never going to work for us in the first place.

• edited May 2019

@DCJ said:

@oat_phipps said:
    There's the open beta route, for example, that I've seen more and more apps do in the last year.

It’s really that simple. I’m super supportive of developers and understand the limits of iOS and always manage my expectations accordingly. I never trash apps. And I usually don’t say things about fully developed apps that I don’t think are great. But we have to make it known that we’re not orphans begging for scraps and anything will do. Test your apps. Make sure they work. If you start off having to remove something because it wasn’t tested, that’s a terrible start that could have easily been avoided. If the dev abandoned iOS because we didn’t like having an app that doesn’t work, then he was never going to work for us in the first place.

And plus, there are a number of firmly enrooted iOS developers that have embraced the platform and know what they're doing (and if we're being honest, already cover most anything you'd ever need) by now. No need to name them because everyone on here already loves them, for good reason--they release high quality applications with very minor fixes required upon release. So they are the 'new' standard anybody entering the iOS world should be held to at this point. It's not a wild west anymore.

• Oh and by the way, this is my 10.5" standalone version.

• edited May 2019

@oat_phipps said:
    I'm pretty sure it's absolutely free on desktop with a suggested donation of $49. And the point still stands...why would you release something that isn't close to your final vision for the product? It's like wearing an untucked shirt and no tie with a baseball cap to a business job interview and banking on getting a second interview to make a better impression. And with yours and others' 'hey guys let's cut em slack kumbaya' stuff they'll get it just because you're thirsty for more well-known developers to come over to iOS. There's principle man, there just is.

Haven't got around to buying it yet, but I plan to. But I agree releasing the half finished App is disappointing.

But it's an OBX emulation on iOS, and I've been hoping for "some developer somewhere" to create an OBX emulation for iOS since I first discovered iOS music.

I love the classic synths, and have most of the already existing iOS emulations of classic synths. But aside from the iSEM, I've been "shocked" that no developer has "already" made an OBX emulator for iOS. I would have thought that would be on the must do list for any developer capable of making it.

I think there may be a lot of people who feel the same way about the OBX, and are just really happy that "someone" has finally made an effort to bring the "OBX" to iOS.

I have a lot of hopes for this app, and hope the developer comes through for everyone who has been waiting for someone to finally do "a proper" OBX emulation for iOS.

So I guess a lot of people are aware of the shortcomings of this release, but are holding onto the hope that the developer will make it right.

• @horsetrainer said:

@oat_phipps said:

Haven't got around to buying it yet, but I plan to. But I agree releasing the half finished App is disappointing.

But it's an OBX emulation on iOS, and I've been hoping for "some developer somewhere" to create an OBX emulation for iOS since I first discovered iOS music.

I love the classic synths, and have most of the already existing iOS emulations of classic synths. But aside from the iSEM, I've been "shocked" that no developer has "already" made an OBX emulator for iOS. I would have thought that would be on the must do list for any developer capable of making it.

I think there may be a lot of people who feel the same way about the OBX, and are just really happy that "someone" has finally made an effort to bring the "OBX" to iOS.

I have a lot of hopes for this app, and hope the developer comes through for everyone who has been waiting for someone to finally do an OBX emulation for iOS.

So I guess a lot of people are aware of the shortcomings of this release, but are holding onto the hope that the developer will make it right.

Same, and I've bought it. Always wanted an OBX for that pitch envelope follower (see the end of Prince 'Do Me, Baby'). In its current state however, I can't see enough to use that functionality. I probably COULD if I really focused, but this is a case that is beyond my 'don't be lazy, just work around it' ethos.

• Umm that's pretty dumb.

You can program it as an AU in GB. Standalone dry is not even worth using...

I've paid more for a pint of craft beer that tasted like dishwater so I'm not too bothered about paying for it. The UI is only one problem, the stuck notes and random notes are a bigger issue and this just was not ready to be released.

The sound, I don't think it really gets the OBX vibe but it's an ok synth and the voice panning is quite nice.

• Tried to export a track with GB, OBXD crashed and now the project won't even play. :lol:

• Slightly off-topic to this thread, but...

@McD said:
    We could see them retreat like a few other Desktop vendors have done (FabFilter... come back please)...

Did they actually retreat? I ask as I just received an update to their app. Representatives on their forum have also shown an intention to continue releasing further AUv3s. I’d like to think these would not be the signs of a company that have dipped their toes in the water and decided it’s not comfortable for them. :)

As far as this OB-Xd app goes, it does seem a peculiar release strategy. But if are committed to improvement, I see no harm in more apps for all to use. :)

• I decided to buy it before the AUv3 was removed out of curiosity since I liked the desktop version. And yeah I'm actually not disappointed, This is going to be good. :)

I managed to get the AU window in the correct position and AUM remembers it so that helps, I haven't found any other issues yet and it's sounding great. I think removing the AU in the next update is a bad move because this is working better than the Standalone for me. So I'm not updating until that comes back :)

So it is possible to use in AUM if you get the window in this shape.

• @oat_phipps said:

Welcome to forum.

My name is Rustik

Here in iOS music making apps routinely get released prior to being read by some developers and companies. This is done in hopes that a paying customer is understanding about how hard someone is working to fix the incomplete or faulty product they sold you under the auspices that it is fully and correctly functioning.

I guess these developers can't be blamed being that Apple does the same thing with there devices and operating system.

WELCOME

;)

tongue firmly planted in cheek...........you are 100% right brother.

• Do what @Carnbot suggested above re: sizing the window in AUM. Then sweep the filter with high resonance, add some pulse width modulation, some x-mod, a hint of reverb and maybe FAC Chorus for good measure. You’ll forget about the missteps and broken bits.

• I just made a Drexiya sound out of it.
    I’m keeping it.

• Also copy some desktop presets with the knob values and save as AUM presets, and you're away. Yeah I'm still waiting for the proper preset management and gui fixes etc but having a lot of fun with this until then :)

• I bought it but didn't get the AUv3 option. It looks like a fun synth to learn on but I want some FX for the output. I can't use it in AUM or AB3 until it's added back to the App's features.

I expect it will get an update pretty soon since AUv3 was pulled as a courtesy to new customer expectations.

RE: FabFilter. Still waiting for more apps. I think it they had more sales at $30 they would deliver faster. There's no urgency on their end. IOS is a buyer's market.

• DCJDCJ
    edited May 2019

@Carnbot said:
    I decided to buy it before the AUv3 was removed out of curiosity since I liked the desktop version. And yeah I'm actually not disappointed, This is going to be good. :)

I managed to get the AU window in the correct position and AUM remembers it so that helps, I haven't found any other issues yet and it's sounding great. I think removing the AU in the next update is a bad move because this is working better than the Standalone for me. So I'm not updating until that comes back :)

So it is possible to use in AUM if you get the window in this shape.

You have an iPad Pro, correct? This solution doesn’t seem to work for all iPads. I don’t have enough screen space to get them lined up.

This is pretty disappointing. I’m sure the dev will fix everything but this was all pretty avoidable.