Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Arpeggiator / Modern Classical Improvisation

edited May 2019 in Creations

Improvising classical music is nothing new. Chopin did it and then wrote it down... it just wasn’t classical music to him. 4 tracks, 2 pianos, iSymphonic Spicatto Legato Strings and iCathedrsl Organ.

Comments

• Very nice! You played this on a keyboard and then recorded it?

• (( applause )) :)

The parts I like the most are where you begin to develop your melodies.

The scale progressions are nice, but I like your melodies more.

I think your ideas are very good. I'd like to hear a piece built from a progression of just melodies arranged into movements.

I'm not sure I like that particular string patch mirroring the piano like that. I think it distracts from the piano.
    Perhaps something like a cello playing a counter melody as a base accompaniment?

The piece certainly held my attention. I understand it's an improv, but listening to it makes me want to hear a developed version.

I apologize if my critique is in any way unwelcome. I was just writing down what came to mind after listening to it.

• edited May 2019

Thanks for listening @jigglypuff. Yes, played on a Kawai MP11se, recorded the onboard piano via Steinberg MK2 into Cubasis. Then I use the recorded midi to plug in Ravenscroft or Beathawk acoustics to augment the audio track. I often double different pianos. Seems to impart more pith, but probably just my imagination 😉.

No problem at all, @horsetrainer. I really value your taking the time to think about it and comment.
    I tried my hand at songwriting and musicals early on. The inspiration to write standard forms came a lot less frequently than improvising and much less enjoyable, so for now it is what it is and I hope some folks will still listen.

If it held your attention, I am way satisfied. That may be the hardest thing to do. Ironically, a standard form of my stuff might not be nearly as successful. Thank you again. Much appreciated!

• This is great! And yes you are right, just like his idols Bach and Mozart Chopin was an improviser.

• Love seeing folks on here experimenting with harmony! Heard a lot of great stuff. Some of the voicings of your chords could be better spread out or even reduced in number of voices to give better prominence to the melodies and/or voice leading IMO. Side note: do we really call this “classical”? Feel like I’m saying the wrong thing every time I throw everything under the sun into this denomination.

• Thanks so much @[Deleted User]. I know you favor the serious stuff, so you compliment means a lot!

@cnsg_music, thanks for listening and your cogent comments. I agree, “classical” is a very inclusive appellation... “Modern Classical”? Oxymoronic but better... maybe. As for the complex harmonies, I am used to complex piano based chords. They sometimes don’t translate, or violate the parameters of accepted instrument usage. Translating my midi to vibes, for example. Too many notes! I have started editing midi now, but mostly to remove aberrant notes. As an artist I am inclined to go my own way even tho I get a lot of feedback here that suggests I be more conventional. If I made a living from this stuff... maybe. At seventy I just indulge my predelictions. But I do appreciate your observations!

• @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks so much @[Deleted User]. I know you favor the serious stuff, so you compliment means a lot!

@cnsg_music, thanks for listening and your cogent comments. I agree, “classical” is a very inclusive appellation... “Modern Classical”? Oxymoronic but better... maybe. As for the complex harmonies, I am used to complex piano based chords. They sometimes don’t translate, or violate the parameters of accepted instrument usage. Translating my midi to vibes, for example. Too many notes! I have started editing midi now, but mostly to remove aberrant notes. As an artist I am inclined to go my own way even tho I get a lot of feedback here that suggests I be more conventional. If I made a living from this stuff... maybe. At seventy I just indulge my predelictions. But I do appreciate your observations!

No problem! Like I said, my ears love innovative harmony, so I look forward to more of your stuff. Finding the right voicings is such a challenging act of craftsmanship, and throwing in too many notes is totally acceptable for the sake of the creative/improvisational moment. It's really nice to have the option to go back and rearrange the MIDI notes.