Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Desk too small for monitors

I'd like to put my monitors on my desk, but they're too big. I could put them behind it, but I can't pull the desk out far enough from the wall. Currently they're way off to the sides of the desk, on stands.

There's also no space on the desk.

I know it's not optimal to have them pointing in from far off to the side, but I can't think of any other options.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Nice idea! The Mac would still be in the way though. My crappy diagram isn't really to scale.

• edited May 2019

Could the classic IKEA hack that I use here help you out?

• edited May 2019

Wall mount them?

Put the Mac on a riser, put ‘stuff’ under riser, put monitors on desk

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Duronic-DM054-Computer-capacity-Warranty/dp/B01HWMGN4U

• @DMfan said:

Could the classic IKEA hack that I use here help you out?

It could indeed, but i have massive Yamaha HS8s.

• I mounted my large monitor at the rear of my desk, so it takes up NO room: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071FX6H53/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Maybe this could give you an idea...

• Nice solutions! I like the added shelf at the back of the desk right now. "Stuff" in my diagram is actually a freestanding shelf with guitar pedals on top, and a little mixer underneath.

I could make this shelf full-length, and put the speakers on the ends, perhaps.

@flo Love that setup, but my desk has to be up against the wall.

• Try not to put your speakers too near from the front wall,it’s really not good for sound.

• Piece of wood? Like take a 1x8 that's like 6-8ft long and put it on top of your desk. Clamp it down, then you have more width at the back to place your monitors. I did that back in the day before I got a proper desk.

• Whatever you do make sure you put a couple of bricks under each speaker.

• The shelf is good. All the rack type stuff and rats nest fits underneath. The computer monitor goes up top with the studio monitors. If the shelf gets too high, you can turn the monitors upside down, so the tweeters are at ear level again. You can also tip the monitors down with those angled foam pads with the lip.

@flo26 yes, it increases the bass response of the speaker up to 6dB having it against a wall (12 dB in a corner). Best to get them off the wall, but some monitors have a low shelf filter switch you can turn on to shelve some of the lows, for this less than ideal placement. I thinks some kind of bass trapping (the thick panels, like 4-6" thick) behind the speakers could help absorb the unwanted low frequency reflections off the wall.

• Right now they're away from the wall, on proper speaker stands, at the perfect height. The only problem is that they're too far apart, and I have to point them inwards quiet a lot to get them aimed at my ears.

Is that really so bad though? Maybe in the end, it's swings and roundabouts. At least now they're a decent distance from the wall.

• The correct angle of the monitors is generally considered to be 60 degrees- an equilateral triangle/ equal distance from the speakers to each other, and the listening position. If they are wider, the only issue is the stereo field is exaggerated. Things sound like they a panned farther, stereo effects seem more dramatic than they are. The width of the mix is exaggerated. If you can’t get em the right distance, you could always scoot back and listen to evaluate stereo moves. I don’t know though, I’ve around too many janky mixing situations where you had to step away from the controls to be able to hear right, it is not ideal.

• Mixing is a small part of what I use them for. The majority is composing, and just playing. Scooting back a bit from the desk to evaluate the stereo field isn't really too much of a problem.

• Same problem here lol
    I'm using an iPad stand I got for a bucks to hold my MacBook up and it helps give me a bit more space but my iPad is still directly in front of one of my monitors lol good enough until I build a custom work area tho

• @slicetwo said:
    Piece of wood? Like take a 1x8 that's like 6-8ft long and put it on top of your desk. Clamp it down, then you have more width at the back to place your monitors. I did that back in the day before I got a proper desk.

Good idea! I could see that working especially with the shelf, extending it out, if the desk wasn’t wide enough.

One other benefit would be you could easily have 2 sets of speakers on your plank, which doesn’t work when you just have speaker stands.

@reasOne You gotta get the monitors up!

• Sell them and get smaller monitors?

• @gusgranite said:
    Sell them and get smaller monitors?

But they sound so good!

• @Processaurus said:

@slicetwo said:
    Piece of wood? Like take a 1x8 that's like 6-8ft long and put it on top of your desk. Clamp it down, then you have more width at the back to place your monitors. I did that back in the day before I got a proper desk.

Good idea! I could see that working especially with the shelf, extending it out, if the desk wasn’t wide enough.

One other benefit would be you could easily have 2 sets of speakers on your plank, which doesn’t work when you just have speaker stands.

@reasOne You gotta get the monitors up!

Haha for sure man!
    I'm redoing the walls in my studio and the flooring, I'm thinking about building a custom desk into the wall as well!

• @flo26 said:
    Try not to put your speakers too near from the front wall,it’s really not good for sound.

That depends on the room, sometimes it's actually better.