Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Teenage Engineering OP-Z

Comments

• Something nice is cooking this morning. Loving the new SoundBank for DRC:

• @echoopera How are you using it? Recording the OP-Z, or using it for midi?

I LOVE mine, but getting anything out of it in anything but a stereo mixdown is a pain. Imagine an Overbridge for OP-Z.

• I wonder what's going on at TE though - very long time since last firmware update.

Used to be almost every two months - now it's been 7 months since last update.

I'm hoping there will be some improvements to how many samples you can have for each track - if you load up 5 engines on the chord track you only have 5 slots for samples which is a real pain.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I prefer to think my new purchase will be “magical.”
    Watching copious videos and am excited in the most juvenile way.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I prefer to think my new purchase will be “magical.”
    Watching copious videos and am excited in the most juvenile way.

It’s definitely a fun device. Congrats.

• The OP-Z sounds VASTLY bette than my OP-1 did, it's not even close in terms of a broader range of sounds available IMO.

• OK, I've had it for a week, and I can confirm: The OP-Z is indeed kind of magical. I really thought that I would be annoyed by the lack of screen, but after using a decommissioned iPhone it as a guide, its weird logic started to seep in. It's just a blast to play with, and the sounds are quite good, though I'm still sorting things out. (I expect I'll dump a lot of the vocal one shots, when I figure out how to do that.)

What I wasn't prepared for was how amazing it is as a performance tool. The live jamming — so versatile and inspiring. I have only scratched the surface, but I'm all in. I love it.

My only question for those more experienced: I plugged it via usb into a hub that is connected to my audio interface (iConnect4+). The OP-Z appears in AUM, but it has replaced the iConnect4+. The AUM meters are moving, but the sound is coming out of the OP-Z speaker. I don't want the OP-Z to be the interface; I just want audio over USB into AUM. How do I configure that?

• iOS only allows one audio device at a time, and the last one plugged in wins. Try plugging the OP-Z into the iConnect 4+ first, then plugging the iConnect into the iPad.

Somehow I don’t think it’s gonna be that simple though. I think you’re going to have to get into the iConnect routing software to make it work.

• @wim said:
    iOS only allows one audio device at a time, and the last one plugged in wins. Try plugging the OP-Z into the iConnect 4+ first, then plugging the iConnect into the iPad.

Somehow I don’t think it’s gonna be that simple though. I think you’re going to have to get into the iConnect routing software to make it work.

Good idea, but as soon as I turned the OPZ on, it booted the iConnect.
    Maybe the best idea is to run the headphone jack out of of the OP-Z and into the 1/4" inputs....
    I'll keep you posted.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@wim said:
    iOS only allows one audio device at a time, and the last one plugged in wins. Try plugging the OP-Z into the iConnect 4+ first, then plugging the iConnect into the iPad.

Good idea, but as soon as I turned the OPZ on, it kicked the iConnect out of the AUM hardware input slot.
    Maybe the best idea is to run the headphone jack out of of the OP-Z and into the 1/4" inputs....
    I'll keep you posted.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@wim said:

Good idea, but as soon as I turned the OPZ on, it booted the iConnect.
    I'll keep you posted.

With the iconnect not connected to the iPad, did you try turning the OP-Z on then plugging it into the iconnect then plugging the iConnect into the iPad?

• If I turn on the OP-Z and plug it into the USB hub, which is plugged into the iConnect, and then plug the iConnect into the iPad, the OP-Z takes priority in AUM's hardware input. If I do this same thing but instead plug the OP-Z directly into the iConnect, the iConnect's 16 channels are available, but none of them are the audio of the OP-Z. (And the OP-Z's speaker plays the track.)

I'll figure it out. There are still 94,000 OP-Z videos on YouTube I haven't seen yet.

• wimwim
    edited March 2021

@ExAsperis99 said:
    If I turn on the OP-Z and plug it into the USB hub, which is plugged into the iConnect, and then plug the iConnect into the iPad, the OP-Z takes priority in AUM's hardware input. If I do this same thing but instead plug the OP-Z directly into the iConnect, the iConnect's 16 channels are available, but none of them are the audio of the OP-Z. (And the OP-Z's speaker plays the track.)

I'll figure it out. There are still 94,000 OP-Z videos on YouTube I haven't seen yet.

I think you need to be looking at iConnect videos instead. The iConnect needs to be configured for the right routing.

• The OP-Z doesn’t act as a usb audio host, so it can’t be hooked up to the iConnect for audio over usb. Midi is fine. For audio it’ll have to be via the OP-Z’s headphone jack.

If you’re recording from the OP-Z though, you might consider using the OP-Z as the audio interface with the iPad, because you’ll get better audio.

Do you need to have the OP-Z and the iConnect hooked up at the same time?

• @mistercharlie said:
    The OP-Z doesn’t act as a usb audio host, so it can’t be hooked up to the iConnect for audio over usb. Midi is fine. For audio it’ll have to be via the OP-Z’s headphone jack.

If you’re recording from the OP-Z though, you might consider using the OP-Z as the audio interface with the iPad, because you’ll get better audio.

Do you need to have the OP-Z and the iConnect hooked up at the same time?

I'm having a hard time finding the answer to what I'm wondering. I thought the OPZ was class compliant and would behave similarly to how a Model Cycles or Model Samples would? https://support.teenage.engineering/hc/en-us/articles/360011495954-OP-Z-how-can-i-use-it-in-a-DAW-for-midi-streaming-audio-recording-

Ie, plug USB to maybe CCK on iPad/iPhone and it comes up as an audio input. Is that not the case? :( was still toying with the idea of picking one of these up especially since BHphoto running a good deal (though not sure for how long)

• I ordered my first OP-Z, a special birthday present to celebrate my ongoing recovery from cancer, on 1 March. It had clearly been a faulty return, with stuck baseplate locks/feet, sticking out baseplate, 2 or 3 encoders popping out, and a faulty bluetooth switch. My fault, I bought open box from Amazon, as I've never had a bad open box deal in my life until now.

On 9 March, I ordered a new replacement. Not open box this time, and luckily, the price had dropped by £30 in the meantime, so the cost wasn't a big leap over the cost of an open box model.

I received it this evening, and opened it up tentatively, given what I've heard, and experienced for myself… it looked promising. Flat when placed on the table (on further inspection it does actually curve a little). Bluetooth connection working, so I got to boot up the app this time. One encoder slightly popping out (I already have a roll of plumber's tape ready to resolve stuff like that.

But later, having begun to set it up, I noticed that two of the sixteen main lights weren't coming on. I tested, and whatever I do or press, these two in the middle (the two immediately to the right of the CH chord button) aren't lighting up. I tried a factory reset, and upgraded the firmware.

When I bought into the OP-Z, I promised myself I would choose my source well (Amazon), and keep returning until I got a good one. But right now, I already feel disappointed and weary about the whole thing.

So one question remains… do I arrange a return, and ask for a replacement? Or do I choose something else from my wishlist?

I'm not asking these questions of anyone reading this thread. Rather, I'm sharing my disappointment that this hasn't worked out after two attempts, and I wonder will it work ever for me to have an OP-Z.

My main goal with this birthday present was to get something special, a little black (or in this case, grey) box, to explore within the spirit of recovery. But I'm starting to wonder if I can get a good one. So I'm looking to my wishlist to consider what I might appreciate having as an alternative, if I can't face exchanging this one too.

So, I'll feedback here again if I go for a third copy of this beautiful synth/sequencer.

I just am not sure what I would buy, alternatively to the OP-Z…

• That’s so shitty, I hate when life throws curveballs like that. It’s hard to move past that and think you can still enjoy something you were looking forward to.

Honestly, I’ve been SOOO into my OP-Z the last few days that it’s hard for me to say try something else. When you get into its workflow, there’s just so many cool sounds you can get out of it. And those step components are like nothing else.

If you were to try something else, I’d recommend the Circuit Tracks. Also a very unique and visual workflow, and likewise a good amount of customization if you want to load your own samples and synth sounds.

Personally I would try one more time with the OP-Z though. It’s a pretty special and unique little box, and it sounds really good too. Subjectively of course, but it’s deep.

• Thanks @Tarekith. Even in the few short moments I've had with it, I've clicked with it.

So yes, maybe I'll replace it one more time.

The Circuit Tracks and Rhythm are both on my wishlist (the Rhythm for sample based processes, rather than percussion). But it seems nothing would replace the OP-Z in my toolkit easily.

• Keep going! There's nothing else like it, and it’ll be totally worth it in the end. And buy from Thomann for their 3-year warranty

• @mistercharlie said:
    Keep going! There's nothing else like it, and it’ll be totally worth it in the end. And buy from Thomann for their 3-year warranty

I didn't know about the 3 year warranty at Thomann. But I think the import duty to the UK may be more than I can afford to go.

• Brexit. The gift that keeps on taking.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Brexit. The gift that keeps on taking.

Indeed.

• @mistercharlie said:
    Keep going! There's nothing else like it, and it’ll be totally worth it in the end. And buy from Thomann for their 3-year warranty

Returned to Amazon this morning, awaiting their confirmation of receipt, then I shall order another one.

• In the meantime, this is a great video with Gaz explaining the OP-Z to a skeptical Nick

• @mistercharlie said:
    In the meantime, this is a great video with Gaz explaining the OP-Z to a skeptical Nick

Thanks @mistercharlie. I received a lovely OP-Z Field Case as an early birthday present today, just after I shipped back the OP-Z. I haven't had the heart to open the box, in case I get another duff OP-Z that has to go back again.

Fingers crossed it will all come good.

• @andowrites said:

@mistercharlie said:
    In the meantime, this is a great video with Gaz explaining the OP-Z to a skeptical Nick

Thanks @mistercharlie. I received a lovely OP-Z Field Case as an early birthday present today, just after I shipped back the OP-Z. I haven't had the heart to open the box, in case I get another duff OP-Z that has to go back again.

Fingers crossed it will all come good.

Fingers crossed for you here too, it’s not a great feeling when stuff is doa and you’ve pushed the boat out for it…

• Hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm.

• @mistercharlie said:
    @echoopera How are you using it? Recording the OP-Z, or using it for midi?

I LOVE mine, but getting anything out of it in anything but a stereo mixdown is a pain. Imagine an Overbridge for OP-Z.

Just in case anyone has missed it, there's Underbridge now. Unfortunately, no iPad support.

https://bklronin.github.io/underbridge-pro-doc

• @echoopera said:
    Hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm.

That's the hope…