Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Basic Setup For Live Use

Hello to all. First post here.....

I play bass guitar in a three piece band and I want to add my one octave MIDI foot controller to our live set. The idea is only to fill out the sound with pads, drones and string chords, nothing fancy or elaborate. I'll be using maybe 10 patches in total and I won't be switching presets mid-song, only between them.

The equipment that I have:

• Roland PK-5 MIDI controller
  • Voodoo Labs Ground Control MIDI controller
  • iPad Mini running IOS 9.3.5
  • Korg Plugkey MIDI interface

I've already purchased an app called Chord Poly Pad, used to generate chords from single note MIDI inputs. What I haven't yet purchased is the synth app to generate the sound patches. I've experimented with the free versions of a few and on the whole, I'm liking Synthmaster. However, I'm confused as to whether this app will respond to MIDI program changes to alter presets. What I've read seems to indicate that it does, but I've not seen a definative answer.

The documentation of Chord Poly Pad states that this app works with PCs, being a simple matter of prefixing the preset name with a number from 1 to 128. Seems easy enough, though I haven't yet tried it. What I want is a SIMPLE synth app that also responds to PCs in a straightforward manner.

My hardware doesn't generate MSB or LSB information but from what little I understand this would not be required for my application, as I just want to be able to switch between 10 presets.

I'm thinking that I would probably also need an app to tie this together, so that a single command from my controller would provoke simultaneous preset changes on Chord PolyPad and also the synth app of choice.

So to my two questions...

What would be the best synth app for my needs??
- pads, drones and string chords
- running on IOS 9
- preset changes by PC (likely from a single bank)

Will I really need an app to tie this together?? If so, which one??
- iMIDI PatchBay
- Audiobus
- Setlist Maker
- other??

Thanks a lot for any and all help with this!!

Comments

• Welcome! You have a lot of moving parts here for an aging OS version. Any chance you can get to iOS 12? You'd have some options with newer apps that I could suggest.

• iPad mini(gen 1) is caped at 9.35

• Ah didn't know that. I would go with Sunrizer as the synth given these constraints.

• The Sunrizer version in the App Store needs IOS 10....:-( If It was available for the iPhone, I'd download it on mine and then grab an older version for my iPad.

Failing to get Sunrizer, what might be a decent alternative??

Thanks!!

• Zeeon says it works on ios 9.3

• KORG ids-10
    KORG Gadget

• not sure if you want the overhead but if Gadget runs io9.3 then the individual synths should too.

So you’ve got lots of choices

• Sunrizer Xs should work fine.

• edited May 2019

Does the Zeeon app or Synthmaster Player repond to program changes for preset selection?? I can't seem to get a definative answer...

thanks

• edited May 2019

@BiancaNeve said:
    Sunrizer Xs should work fine.

The problem is getting access to it through the AppStore.

EDIT: I found it by googling for Sunrizer XS and then linking into the AppStore!! Thanks a lot!!

• https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/3894/bank-select-via-midi-ios-synths

A few additional iOS synths with functioning MIDI PC. If any of these are already listed, I missed them and apologize.

QDixie - select the cart (cartridge) in the synth, then MIDi PC will change the patch within that cart. Set LSB and MSB to off

DXI - Doesn’t have banks or cartridges. Use PC to send MIDI PC to it and set MSB and LSB to off

Mood - Choose the bank you want on the synth, then send MIDI PC and set MSB and LSB to off

Zeeon - Choose the bank you want on the synth, then send MIDI PC and set MSB and LSB to off

Kaspar - works with Bank Select and PC - like other synths from Yonak

Kauldron - works with band select and PC - like other synths from Yonak

• @audiblevideo said:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/3894/bank-select-via-midi-ios-synths

A few additional iOS synths with functioning MIDI PC. If any of these are already listed, I missed them and apologize.

QDixie - select the cart (cartridge) in the synth, then MIDi PC will change the patch within that cart. Set LSB and MSB to off

DXI - Doesn’t have banks or cartridges. Use PC to send MIDI PC to it and set MSB and LSB to off

Mood - Choose the bank you want on the synth, then send MIDI PC and set MSB and LSB to off

Zeeon - Choose the bank you want on the synth, then send MIDI PC and set MSB and LSB to off

Kaspar - works with Bank Select and PC - like other synths from Yonak

Kauldron - works with band select and PC - like other synths from Yonak

Great stuff, although I understand about 7,37% of what was discussed in that thread... hehehe
    Thanks loads...

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Sunrizer Xs should work fine.

Sunrizer Xs is bugged, and does not work in background properly. Use it at own risk

Please checked when last updated