Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ives In The Mood For Love / Noise and SynthScaper

edited May 2019 in Creations

Another effort to pay tribute to mixed harmonies and tonal misalignment. Loved using the Roli Noise Overdrive guitar (no MPE this time). It has such an interesting quality, shifting beautifully between distortion and clarinet of all things. . SynthScaper is tough on CPU, but worth it.. BeatHawk female choir and pizz bass. Thumbjam electric guitar shimmered. Improvised on my Kawai with a pianoectomy necessary. @McD @rs2000 @Daveypoo @kuhl you got me started and I may never return! You are my goto atonal guys, please listen!

Comments

• ...Simply because you're near me...

The guitar tone you open with here is great, and immediately grabbed my interest. So far I like this the most of any of your pieces. Your half-step descending bits as a recurring theme are especially nice. I here a thematic thread running through this piece I didn't hear in others. The voices are also very effective when they enter.

Nice work - I like this quite a bit.

• @Daveypoo. Really? You liked this the best!? Hard to believe, but ok. You know, I gimmicked it a little. I used the guitar (piano, really) midi track, raised it a few semitones and shifted it out of line by a few measures and plugged in the choir. Trial and error until I got it sounding interesting . Go figure. Well, you have encouraged me to do more. I like this atonal stuff a lot, actually. And mixing it with more tonal material is quite fascinating. Have a good flight!

• A pleasure (again) to listen to!

• Your songs are like a book that I have to read again and again to get a clear image out of it, and I like that.
    It's very inspiring too. Thank you for giving us such valuable art @LinearLineman :smiley:

• No thanks necessary, @rs2000. It is a blessing and a miracle to be able to make this stuff. iOS saved my creative life and opened the most amazing chapter for me. Making music on an iPad, of all things, was totally unexpected and from way out of left field. I am very grateful to @Michael for paving the way to all this, to the devs who generally work as a labor of love for us users, to the forum’s generosity and tolerance, and particularly to you and several others for your friendship and support. All very much appreciated.

• I think the clear statement and variation of the melody makes this accessible to a larger audience.
    It's that prediction balanced with interesting surprise that requires planning. So sticking strictly with the
    melody in a new key on the choir creates an out of the body experience that we only feel in dreams and
    with magical substances. Trippy shit, man. Ives might be proud to have inspired this.

• edited May 2019

@LinearLineman Yes, so far this is my favorite. Let me explain a bit about my relationship with atonal/ambient/experimental musics:

With the 20th Century development of modern composing styles, composers really began to push the boundaries of what is "music" and not just push, but break the limitations of standard Western musical theory.

COOL.

With this, you get the Stravinskys, Ives, Hindemiths, and eventually John Cages, Zappas, etc. in the orchestral world. When Jazz reached this point, you get the Miles Davises and Sun Ras, amongst others. Then you get into synthesized music, etc.... you get the point.

The difficulty I have with any of these musics is that while I can appreciate them and respect them from a rationalized perspective, they mostly don't move me to do more than give them a single play. I think that a lot of these composers, not all of them but some, with all of the experimentation, boundary pushing, etc, forgot along the way that music is meant to be listened to and enjoyed. The mathematics and rationale behind a composition may be genius, but I don't really care if it doesn't SOUND GOOD.

I get that the idea of "sounding good" is wildly subjective and that one's idea of what is "good" changes with time, exposure, understanding, age, etc. But at the end of the day, no matter how complex or impressive the music may be ultimately I'm a simple creature who wants a melody and a good beat so I can whistle along and tap my foot.

So yes, to @McD's point - the stated theme and then variations on this theme are instantly more appealing to my core than atonal jazz jams. That's not to say I don't enjoy the latter - I DO, I just have much higher standards for these sorts of music since in a lot of ways (again, my opinion) I find complete atonality or complete ambience EASY.

Here's what I mean - I can fire up a piano patch and bang away at the keys, record it and call it atonal. That's not to imply that is what's happening on your end as I can certainly hear the intention in your playing. But for me I really lean into these tunes to hear what's going on behind the notes - what's the story here? What's the arc of the tune? Does it have a beginnning, middle and end? Does it take me on a journey? Or is it just crashing waves of digital noise for 10 minutes? ANYONE can make atonal or ambient music, but to make it GOOD and ACCESSIBLE given it's inherent inaccessible nature is truly the feat to be celebrated. I love Miles Davis but goddamn it I can't stand Bitches Brew/One The Corner, etc. I get it. I understand it. I know what he's doing. I respect it. I know how groundbreaking it is. I can intellectualize it. I can analyze it. I can appreciate the extreme level of musicianship involved not only in conceptualizing the ideas but also hiring the best musicians involved to execute it at the highest level possible. I get all of this, but I DON'T CARE because I just don't want to listen to it. I'd rather listen to James Brown funk it up so I can shake my butt, or Tom Petty so I can sing along, or a million other things that require less intense listening and understanding - that's just my personal taste.

Hopefully this makes sense and helps clarify without being offensive. For example - I love the band Phish, and the whole jam band thing. However, taking an improvisatory journey in a tune as a band and landing on your feet 15 minutes later is worlds different than a bunch of dudes jamming on E7 to A7 for 15 minutes. The first is inspirational art - the second is public masturbation.

• edited May 2019

deleted double post

• @Daveypoo .... well......okay! I guess I have sort of straddled that bridge then?

• edited May 2019

@LinearLineman said:
    @Daveypoo .... well......okay! I guess I have sort of straddled that bridge then?

They're not mutually exclusive... 😉

Don't ever place yourself in the "masturbatory" camp - you're far too skilled and purposeful to ever fall in with that crowd.

Besides, I just dig it!

😎

• @Daveypoo, thank you, sir.