Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Please comment on which MutableInstruments incarnation you'd like most on iOS and why :)

As discussed in the other thread
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/33001/midi-scripting-in-an-auv3-is-great-now-what-about-audio#latest
there seems to be quite some interest in MI stuff.
I'd like to start a joint experiment with MobMuPlat as the host for PureData (Vanilla) patches and a GUI made with the MobMuPlat editor (available on http://danieliglesia.com/mobmuplat/).

I don't want to be the judge on which Mutable Instruments device to re-build in MobMuPlat so please comment on which one you would like to see the most and why.
Mind you that the feasibility of such a re-build might depend on the existence of custom external modules that are unavailable in MobMuPlat.
Anything that runs on PureData-Vanilla shouldn't be a problem however.
Thanks!

//////////////////////////////
What is MobMuPlat?
It's basically a PureData runtime app for iOS that can load PD-Vanilla patches (i.e. original PureData PD files that don't require any custom binary extensions).
It has audio inputs and outputs, MIDI inputs and outputs, you can design a rather basic UI with background images and controls that can be linked to parameters in PureData patches.
It can act both as an instrument or sound generator (controlled by MIDI) or as an audio effect, using Audiobus or the IAA (inter-app audio) standard.

Comments

• edited May 2019

Marbles!

WHY: It's the best inspiration piece of gear that I found.

• edited May 2019

And yeah, Plaits everytime

• edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Damn this is a toughie. I feel like I’d want Clouds but I may change my mind in like 10 min.

• edited May 2019

@DCJ said:
    Damn this is a toughie. I feel like I’d want Clouds but I may change my mind in like 10 min.

There's nothing wrong with choosing two or three devices if you feel like it.
    I'll let people comment for a while and check from time to time what the original PureData patches look like before even thinking about taking a decision.

• edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2019

Plaits :heart: Dreaming about having it as another oscillator type in Obsidian :)

• @EyeOhEss said:
    At least half of the magic of MI is how well they intergrate with each other and ease of patching etc....I think a lot of that magic will be lost with just one module in IAA. Totally not knocking the idea, it’d be cool to have and better than nothing for sure, but in practise I’m wondering if it might not be worth the effort if it’s a big job?

Agreed. Until we have more utility and modulation apps to drive things like Clouds or Rings, I would vote for Marbles. It seems the most immediately usable without requiring external modulation.

• No hardware knobs or cables, sorry :D

• Rings, the closest I have seen is the Objeq app but the tune control on that is limited. A full blown rings/elements iOS would be awesome.
    Otherwise any of them will do I suppose. I like Clouds a lot but I wouldn't do that one as it has a lot if flaws, there is a reason its been discontinued.
    Plaits would rule.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited May 2019

Bhajis loops

• Definitely Rings.

Clouds has been done to death. So has Rings but it's extremely versatile.

• Clouds. For my ambient sound

• By the way, did you know that most MI modules are available for free inside VCVRack for Mac, Windows and Ubuntu v16.04+?
    I have just discovered them, then put the ones mentioned here into the virtual rack and soon I was lost for 3 hours building nice loops for further musical use :smiley:

• That question is like asking a parent to name their favourite child. :)

Rather than naming my most desired Mutable module for iOS I think the two that would be valued most by the widest number of iOS audio enthusiasts would be Braids and Clouds. But only if they were fully modulatable by iOS hosts. It also helps that these are no longer available as hardware modules.

Seeing as I'm breaking the rules, I'll pick a second two, but these don't output audio and are non-audio 'function generator' type modules (the nascent modularity aspect of iOS needs more utilities if it's to grow in capability). And those two are Tides and Stages. The great thing about Tides and Stages is that they're really accessible for the simple stuff, but still offer depth and sophistication for power users. Tides v2 has just (or soon will be) open source and it's a great improvement over Tides v1.

• edited May 2019

OK, it does sound like combining a number of modules into an AUv3 would make much more sense than picking only one.
    For example:
    Marbles and Grids for Cv/Gate creation,
    a few sequencing enhancements including Tides and Stages, and
    Elements, Plaits, Rings and Clouds for sound synthesis.