Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI scripting in an AUv3 is great! Now what about audio?

Being able to code my own audio processors or synths in an AUv3 plugin is something that I've been searching for a while.
MobMuPlat packs PureData code into an IAA app and works quite well - but it's not an AU.

Something like Mozaic or StreamByter for audio signals sounds like an exciting concept, don't you think?

Comments

• @rs2000 said:
    Being able to code my own audio processors or synths in an AUv3 plugin is something that I've been searching for a while.
    MobMuPlat packs PureData code into an IAA app and works quite well - but it's not an AU.

Something like Mozaic or StreamByter for audio signals sounds like an exciting concept, don't you think?

Doing it for DSP is much more difficult than MIDI. The Audulus developer had it working but found that getting it to be reliable and stable enough would require major re-architecting which he is working on. I think getting a DSP programming environment working in the limited memory footprint AUv3 allows is a pretty big hurdle.

Fingers-crossed that Audulus 4 gets finished by year's end.

• Audulus will be AUv3 at some point.
    I find audio at least an order magnitude more difficult. I think that would cross the line from being fun to being work for me. I still dabble in Audulus from time to time, but not usually for long, and definitely not at a low level, mostly just using pre-developed modules.

• I don't think memory is the limiting factor (except when using long recording buffers or delays).

For a start, wrapping existing PureData libraries into an AUv3 shouldn't be too difficult, right?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:
    Im surprised there isn’t a PD AUv3 out there yet. So many good PD patches on Organelle that would be amazing to have on iOS. And the hardware UI restrictions of the Organelle wouldn’t be so present when coding further new patches for iOS touchscreen Ui or adapting existing patches to be less menu-divey etc.

You can have them on iOS, just not as an AUv3 :)

• edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:

@rs2000 said:

@EyeOhEss said:
    Im surprised there isn’t a PD AUv3 out there yet. So many good PD patches on Organelle that would be amazing to have on iOS. And the hardware UI restrictions of the Organelle wouldn’t be so present when coding further new patches for iOS touchscreen Ui or adapting existing patches to be less menu-divey etc.

Wow :) Have you tried them out? Organelle version’s of Clouds, Morphagene etc all working?

Are they publicly available?

If so I need to grab MobMuPlat. And also really surprised we aren’t seeing everyone buying/using it!

Probably because it's not as straightforward to use as, say, Audulus or zMors Modular.
    More patience required to learn using it.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@rs2000 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@rs2000 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

Wow :) Have you tried them out? Organelle version’s of Clouds, Morphagene etc all working?

If so I need to grab MobMuPlat. And also really surprised we aren’t seeing everyone buying/using it!

Probably because it's not as straightforward to use as, say, Audulus or zMors Modular.

Check out the Organelle section on Patchstorage.com and the Organelle forum ;) There are Mutable Instruments ports like Clouds/Rings/Braids etc, Pedal/module clones like Morphagene, Infinite Jets, Count to 5, ton of weird sequencers/samplers/arpeggiators etc... the community has been really productive over past years.

Are the .zop patches based on PD vanilla or do they use additional externals?

• edited May 2019
  • @EyeOhEss said:

@rs2000 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@rs2000 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@rs2000 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

Check out the Organelle section on Patchstorage.com and the Organelle forum ;) There are Mutable Instruments ports like Clouds/Rings/Braids etc, Pedal/module clones like Morphagene, Infinite Jets, Count to 5, ton of weird sequencers/samplers/arpeggiators etc... the community has been really productive over past years.

Are the .zop patches based on PD vanilla or do they use additional externals?

Zop patches are specifically for use inside of ‘Orac’. Which is a kind of ‘configurable micro DAW/AUM’ inside of Organelle and some other hardware. That’s the work of a guy called Mark Harris (thetechnobear). It hosts other PD patches that have been converted to work inside of it.

Standalone Organelle patches don’t have the ‘zop’ extension.

Got a few links please?

• edited May 2019
  • edited May 2019

The mutable stuff is all open source & TBH there is no reason they all couldn’t be ported to AUs

Regarding scriptable DSP - These platforms are obviously a lot of maintenance & support. Porting one put’s you in that support path so I can see why it hasn’t been done (you also get all the fun of dealing with Apple & Paucity of documentation)

Also hint: it’s not the road to riches. Only Max/MSP has a paid model. Supercollider ended up going open source. PD always has been.

For what it is worth I think Audulus is your best bet (it’s also great)

(Check out Orac too - it runs on a raspberry pi so low cost of entry. I contributed a couple of modules for the first version. Need to port them to v2)

• edited May 2019

@EyeOhEss said:

@pagefall said:
    The mutable stuff is all open source & TBH there is no reason they all couldn’t be ported to AUs

Yeah I’m surprised that we haven’t began to see clouds and rings becoming almost standard effects inside a bunch of iOS synths by now or as their own AU. And plaits voices etc a la Arturia. And Marbles would make for a very nice Midi AU....

From my POV it feels tight using Émilie’s code in something paid. She has contributed so much by open sourcing her work. That said Arturia did it with her blessing so.....

If I had any spare time at all (cue hysterical laughter) it would be nice to make free ports of them though

• edited May 2019

@pagefall said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@pagefall said:

Yeah I’m surprised that we haven’t began to see clouds and rings becoming almost standard effects inside a bunch of iOS synths by now or as their own AU. And plaits voices etc a la Arturia. And Marbles would make for a very nice Midi AU....

From my POV it feels tight using Émilie’s code in something paid. She has contributed so much by open sourcing her work. That said Arturia did it with her blessing so.....

No, the idea is to provide the platform itself (in the same way Émilie used it) so anyone can load open source creations/scripts.

Much like we have quite a number of shared StreamByter and Mozaic scripts for MIDI here already.
    The same is possible for audio e.g. with MobMuPlat today as an IAA and in Audiobus, what's not available yet is an AUv3 that can load them.

• No, the idea is to provide the platform itself (in the same way Émilie used it) so anyone can load open source creations/scripts.

I understand that. I just meant straight ports would be possible too

• @EyeOhEss said:

@pagefall said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@pagefall said:

If I had any spare time at all (cue hysterical laughter) it would be nice to make free ports of them though

I would agree on any other platform except iOS where it costs to host an app in the store. If I was a dev using MI code as a significant USP of an app then I’d cover my store hosting fees and then give the appropriate proportion of any profit to a charity of Emilie’s choice. I imagine they’d probably feel like that was win/win for everyone?

But yeah, just providing an au app as a platform to host these things, like the Organelle does in hardware (Organelle isn’t ‘free’....) feels like it would be morally ok to charge for that platform and then contributed patches similar Mark’s Organelle MI ports would be free.

Sounds good!
    @brambos has some experience with AUv3 audio and MIDI, he might be up to the task ... ? B)

• PD as an AU would be amazing, would truly give iOS modular new meaning, but I should check out MobMuPlat. Thanks for the links.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@rs2000 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

Wow :) Have you tried them out? Organelle version’s of Clouds, Morphagene etc all working? If so I need to grab MobMuPlat. And also really surprised we aren’t seeing everyone buying/using it!

But yeah, really an AU version would be far better, and seems like it’d basically be like printing money for any dev that made it and had all those existing Pd patches in the factory presets...

The economics of iOS music is not what you imagine. Search the archives and you will find some details from @analog_matt . Even super popular music creation apps generate much less revenue/sales than you imagine. Sadly.

• @espiegel123 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@rs2000 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

Wow :) Have you tried them out? Organelle version’s of Clouds, Morphagene etc all working? If so I need to grab MobMuPlat. And also really surprised we aren’t seeing everyone buying/using it!

But yeah, really an AU version would be far better, and seems like it’d basically be like printing money for any dev that made it and had all those existing Pd patches in the factory presets...

The economics of iOS music is not what you imagine. Search the archives and you will find some details from @analog_matt . Even super popular music creation apps generate much less revenue/sales than you imagine. Sadly.

In other words, it's good to have a main job to rely on...
    Yes, it's a bummer that not only most people use Win/Mac to make music but also the number of musicians doing electronic music is more like a huge family than world population.

• The economics of music production software generally isn't that great sadly.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@espiegel123 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@rs2000 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

Yeah it’s probably not gonna buy anyone a mansion ;)

Most successful music apps barely buy you a bicycle in my experience.

• @EyeOhEss said:

@brambos said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@espiegel123 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@rs2000 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

What kind of bicycle? ;)

One of the not-so-expensive kind.

• @brambos said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@brambos said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@espiegel123 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@rs2000 said:

@EyeOhEss said:

What kind of bicycle? ;)

One of the not-so-expensive kind.

:(

• edited May 2019