Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Tascam DR-40x as audio interface, without batteries

Has anyone had any luck getting a Tascam DR-40x to functions as an audio interface, without batteries?

They advertise the audio interface functionality clearly, but never mention it's existing to modes where battery powered.

The manual though makes some hard to interpret mentions about iOS, wired connections, etc. Difficult to parse.

I'm using CCK and powered USB hub. What do folks think?

I'm using a Behringer UMC 404HD for Windows 10. It works great with iOS. But swapping all the cables is a pain, and prevents dual-use of Ableton and iOS synths. (At least midi works...)

If there tascam solution doesn't work, I'm worried I'll just need to buy two audio interfaces, which seems wasteful?

if that's the only route and option, then I'm wondering whether I should get the exact same unit because I know it works, or get something different that has some other functionality I don't know I need yet (Scarlet or one of the iOS specific units that are a bit pricey).

Would love to get input from the community.

Comments

• edited May 2019

Here's the oddity in the manual:

Using as a USB audio interface >
    Setting the connected device type >
    If the connected device type is iOS, this unit will operate on batteries.
    Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, for example, is necessary to connect to an iOS device.

I wonder if that's something fixable in firmware?