Audiobus: Your virtual music studio.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groovebox... questions

Wow, a fantastic free download, but will it midi in or out? Also what does the Pro inapp actually do for you? Thanks.

Comments

  • The Pro in-app purchase unlocks some of the synth paramater pages, so you can tweak the sounds further and in more detail (although you can't save them as your own presets).

  • No MIDI Out, and will accept MIDI In from all sources, it works similar to 'Easy MIDI' mode in Gadget, all midi gets routed to the current selected instrument.

    As @Andrik says, Pro mode unlocks all the synth and drum parameters.

  • Thanks @Andrik and @AndyPlankton. I think I can avoid the pro as I am a Preset Man till my dying day (which is coming up fast!).

  • Without the Pro bundle you still have access to some basic synth parameters. The preset packs contain all manner of well programmed sounds that are very playable and useable.
    This is still my go to app for noodling and idea generation.

  • @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks @Andrik and @AndyPlankton. I think I can avoid the pro as I am a Preset Man till my dying day (which is coming up fast!).

    You are not well? 🤔

  • @robosardine, thanks for asking and no immediate problems. It is just at seventy one considers mortality a lot more than at twenty (30, 40, 50, 60!). You see my point, I am sure.

  • @LinearLineman said:
    @robosardine, thanks for asking and no immediate problems. It is just at seventy one considers mortality a lot more than at twenty (30, 40, 50, 60!). You see my point, I am sure.

    Like getting towards the end of your set ... and hoping to hear Encore ! :D
    I bet your still here in twenty years time and 10,000 wiki pages later ;)

  • @LinearLineman Which groovebox - Novation?

  • I quite like groovebox box even though I've not used it very much.

    What I like most is that it's properly designed for iPad. It's not yet another like for like clone of hardware, along with all the terrible UI issues that brings (I don't understand the obsession some developers have for copying the worst aspects of hardware devices when the iPad isn't constrained to having fixed buttons and a tiny, pixellated screen).

  • I'll agree with @klownshed about the gui especially on the iPad, it is laid out as an iPad instrument and not like a clone of hardware crammed into a screen, that gets even smaller as an auv3, the woflow of the pro version is good
    .. Although it is a few steps away from being perfect it drives you mad that it's so close but yet doesn't seem like it'll ever get the final pieces it needs to be a much more powerful groovedaw ...
    Get the pro I say, get the full synth, buy some presets and tweak em...
    Midi in is only gonna work on the current instrument, you get 8 per song but you can load it up in AUM and record the audio, as well as sequence 8 instrument within gb
    Change parts, although that needs work as you can't chain patterns..
    It's so close
    Would love to see a dev pick up where they left off and make the ultimate iOS groovedaw

  • But imo it's totally worth owing, and having that full experience, it really lets you have fun with iOS and build tracks all in one app and of course you can export that audio for use later in other setups

  • Fun and quick, it works particularly well by subtraction. FInd a pattern you like, keep, copy, remove a few notes, chain etc etc.

  • @LinearLineman said:
    @robosardine, thanks for asking and no immediate problems. It is just at seventy one considers mortality a lot more than at twenty (30, 40, 50, 60!). You see my point, I am sure.

    Yes I do- Glad to hear it. Being in good health is something you cannot buy at any age- enjoy🤠

  • @stormbeats, not sure what you mean? Is there more than one?

  • There are many imitations- here is the original 😺

  • @AndyPlankton ummmm... maybe, but thank you 😘

  • I really this app as well but I wish there was a way to load iPhone projects on the iPad. I can’t believe there’s no way to do this.

  • I tweaked this preset with some beautiful warm distortion and it sounds absolutely amazing but I wish I could just save the preset :s






  • @Tones4Christ

    Cool.

    Can we see Env 2 & Osc page B? 👍😃

  • I checked and all is at default. But I really love this distorted sound so warm and fuzzy love it!

  • @Tones4Christ said:
    I tweaked this preset with some beautiful warm distortion and it sounds absolutely amazing but I wish I could just save the preset :s

    Even the ability to copy an instrument between projects would help.

    You could set up individual projects with 8 instances of Minimon or whatever. Tweak them all to your liking and then save the project as "User Presets - Minimon 1-8". Rinse and repeat. Then you could build up a bank of your own sounds available to copy/paste into other projects.

    Just giving us User Presets that we asked for on day one would be the nicest thing for Ampify to do though . :)

  • I don’t quite get it, so if I have already a project I could import from the 1-8 set?

    @SpookyZoo said:

    @Tones4Christ said:
    I tweaked this preset with some beautiful warm distortion and it sounds absolutely amazing but I wish I could just save the preset :s

    Even the ability to copy an instrument between projects would help.

    You could set up individual projects with 8 instances of Minimon or whatever. Tweak them all to your liking and then save the project as "User Presets - Minimon 1-8". Rinse and repeat. Then you could build up a bank of your own sounds available to copy/paste into other projects.

    Just giving us User Presets that we asked for on day one would be the nicest thing for Ampify to do though . :)

  • @Tones4Christ said:
    I don’t quite get it, so if I have already a project I could import from the 1-8 set?

    @SpookyZoo said:

    @Tones4Christ said:
    I tweaked this preset with some beautiful warm distortion and it sounds absolutely amazing but I wish I could just save the preset :s

    Even the ability to copy an instrument between projects would help.

    You could set up individual projects with 8 instances of Minimon or whatever. Tweak them all to your liking and then save the project as "User Presets - Minimon 1-8". Rinse and repeat. Then you could build up a bank of your own sounds available to copy/paste into other projects.

    Just giving us User Presets that we asked for on day one would be the nicest thing for Ampify to do though . :)

    This isn't currently possible.

    My wish is for this functionality at least, if they don't give us User presets.

  • @SpookyZoo said:

    @Tones4Christ said:
    I don’t quite get it, so if I have already a project I could import from the 1-8 set?

    @SpookyZoo said:

    @Tones4Christ said:
    I tweaked this preset with some beautiful warm distortion and it sounds absolutely amazing but I wish I could just save the preset :s

    Even the ability to copy an instrument between projects would help.

    You could set up individual projects with 8 instances of Minimon or whatever. Tweak them all to your liking and then save the project as "User Presets - Minimon 1-8". Rinse and repeat. Then you could build up a bank of your own sounds available to copy/paste into other projects.

    Just giving us User Presets that we asked for on day one would be the nicest thing for Ampify to do though . :)

    This isn't currently possible.

    My wish is for this functionality at least, if they don't give us User presets.

    A thousand fold.

  • Honestly the easiest way to get the most use out of this thing is to just buy the damn presets. Now I know for some, it’s a matter of a principal, but if you have decent presets to start from and then tweak then you’re off to the races quicker. I buy one every couple months. Thats coffee money. But I wouldn’t be using this at all unless your goal is to bang out material lightning fast. There’s no point getting intellectual in Groovebox. Grab a pattern or preset and let it rip on the keys. Copy/paste/delete of patterns is easy. The iPad interface is perfect for building up loops, many of which you may not use, and then performing the good stuff into AudioShare. There’s no mixing to worry about, just sounds and levels, no panning, just reverb and such. This is the perfect environment to hone your track writing abilities. What it does, it does very well. I used to be real hard on this app but it’s grown on me and I wouldn’t be without now. Too easy and fun.

  • @db909 said:
    Honestly the easiest way to get the most use out of this thing is to just buy the damn presets. Now I know for some, it’s a matter of a principal, but if you have decent presets to start from and then tweak then you’re off to the races quicker. I buy one every couple months. Thats coffee money. But I wouldn’t be using this at all unless your goal is to bang out material lightning fast. There’s no point getting intellectual in Groovebox. Grab a pattern or preset and let it rip on the keys. Copy/paste/delete of patterns is easy. The iPad interface is perfect for building up loops, many of which you may not use, and then performing the good stuff into AudioShare. There’s no mixing to worry about, just sounds and levels, no panning, just reverb and such. This is the perfect environment to hone your track writing abilities. What it does, it does very well. I used to be real hard on this app but it’s grown on me and I wouldn’t be without now. Too easy and fun.

    +1

  • +4

  • And blast off!

Sign In or Register to comment.