Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How to record Egoist (audio) in GarageBand?

I have an instance of Egoist as the input for a track in GB, and I can slice sounds and all that.

But how do I record the audio? If I hit record, then no audio is recorded. The track only records MIDI data from the keyboard. I want to record the sound from the plugin. Is it possible? Am I missing something obvious?

Comments

• After recording the midi 'merge' the track to render it to audio, at least that's a work-around...
    Just wishing that 'merge' didn't duplicate the session...
    (Ie. I'd love to see a 'merge to new audio track' or 'merge in place').

• What a pain.

This means I have to “play” egoist though. I use it by getting a slice/loop running, and go from there. I never actually need to hit any keys to play it. It’s just running in the AUv3 instance.

• Enso to the rescue. Enso will record the Egoist audio. Then I can either just let Enso run in that track, or export its audio to the Files app, and then drag it in to an audio track. It’s not exactly smooth, but it’s still less work than the Octatrack :)

• Enso is ok here, but hardly practical just for recording an AU instrument.

Why won’t GarageBand let me record the audio from Egoist? It makes no sense. If I host Egoist in AUM, I can record a perfect loop. Why not in GarageBand. Am I missing something?

• @mistercharlie said:
    Enso is ok here, but hardly practical just for recording an AU instrument.

Why won’t GarageBand let me record the audio from Egoist? It makes no sense. If I host Egoist in AUM, I can record a perfect loop. Why not in GarageBand. Am I missing something?

It's the same pita in Cubasis as well.
    In Cubasis it's just a matter creating an empty midi-region and using freeze (in practice same thing as in GarageBand).

You're not missing anything, it's the way GarageBand is for now...

• You can of course do it via Audiobus......

• @BiancaNeve said:
    You can of course do it via Audiobus......

I tried that, but it won’t sync-start properly with GarageBand.

• edited May 2019

@mistercharlie said:

@BiancaNeve said:

On the egoist tab set clock external
    In GarageBand set send clock
    In ab set sync to midi clock in

Pressing record in gb then starts play in egoist and starts recording.

• @BiancaNeve said:

@mistercharlie said:

@BiancaNeve said:

On the egoist tab set clock external
    In GarageBand set send clock
    In ab set sync to midi clock in

Pressing record in gb then starts play in egoist and starts recording.

Now it works! I’m sure I tried those same settings, but maybe not. That’s just fine now. Very good workaround.