Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I’ll say it... Senode is simply the best generative, improvisational sequencer ever made.

If you don’t have it, buy it. @sebastianarnold is a genius. For some reason I got distracted from it by other bright shiny (SQUIRREL!!!) things.

The way you can build the music as a “structure “ and make minor changes to the structure to yield new evolutions... The ability to trigger sequencer node advance via midi input rather than clock...

I suspect his genius is related to the drummer gene!

Comments

• It's a gem; one of my faves as well. Hoping we see an aUv3 version at some point!

• I've really been curious about this and almost grabbed it a few times... Deff going for it! Just was waiting to hear what peeps thought cuz it has been around a while I didn't know if it was still supported and all that...
    Is it set up kinda like aphelian where you can send midi out to different au/iaa synths?

• @reasOne said:
    I've really been curious about this and almost grabbed it a few times... Deff going for it! Just was waiting to hear what peeps thought cuz it has been around a while I didn't know if it was still supported and all that...
    Is it set up kinda like aphelian where you can send midi out to different au/iaa synths?

Yea, he’s updated it with a lot of really subtitle but nice ui improvements that are not in your face kind of things but make usability a lot better. For instance, I begged him to have probabilistic settings when you have one node that branches to two or more. He added it, and added a subtle bit where the arrows thickness/weight indicates probability.

He also added it so that by default, the nodes show all the notes if it’s a chord in the node and added little tics to indicate the octave.

Also added zooming etc.

If you are the type that likes piano rolls, grid sequencers etc, you may not like it. Personally I HATE piano rolls and other linear sequencer paradigms so this thing is perfect for me and other people that share my mental disease. 😁

• It's definitely my favorite aleatoric sequencer too! Since you build out your graphs and can set edge probability, you can really craft just how "random" things get. You can ensure that progressions follow the general contour of your music instead of just spewing out a random note who's only connection is that it's in the same scale.

And yes, the note advance feature is great.

@lukesleepwalker said:
    It's a gem; one of my faves as well. Hoping we see an aUv3 version at some point!

AUv3 would be great, but frankly I would be happy with just an update with Audiobus and StateSaving!

@reasOne said:
    I've really been curious about this and almost grabbed it a few times... Deff going for it! Just was waiting to hear what peeps thought cuz it has been around a while I didn't know if it was still supported and all that...

It gets updated on a slow schedule, but apart from Audiobus or AUv3 integration, there aren't any major usability considerations. Shortly after it came out I had a massive list of suggestions for updates and Sebastian was gracious enough to add all of the important ones in over time.

There are always ideas and suggestions for additional features, but I would be perfectly happy if Senode only received maintenance updates from here on out (after State Saving, of course ; )

You have emitters that generate tokens that travel over a graph of nodes and edges.

The nodes can be empty or have a note or a chord and the nodes have durations, velocity level and gate length. You can have multiple edges coming out of each node (including looping back to itself) and each edge can be assigned a probability.

Emitters define the internal synth or output MIDI channel as well as the speed a token moves at (as a multiplier of the node's timing value) and it's velocity and transposition.

When a token lands on a node it plays the contents of the that node, transposed by the emitter settings and after the defined time (node "tick" length times emitter multiplier) it moves to the next node depending on the probabilities of the edges coming out of the current node.

This approach means you can have very controlled levels of "random" in a piece.

You can also assign MIDI control to the emitters so that you can create new tokens, clear tokens, move tokens to the next node, advance the "tick" count of a token or trigger tokens.

I've done some videos showing it in action:
    A simple example of Senode doing its thing
    An example of the MIDI bindings to advance tokens using the sonogrid app to create complex rhythms
    And and example of Senode self-triggering (at the bottom of the linked post)

• Impresive. Im going to try some things out in rozeta cells first until I need this tool. Inspiring info md and aplourde

• Link?

• Thanks, was meant for @MonkeyDrummer as he wanted to promote the App but forgot the link ;)

• @tja said:

Thanks, was meant for @MonkeyDrummer as he wanted to promote the App but forgot the link ;)

If App Store search is beyond your technical ability, Senode is probably going to be a little difficult for you.

• I’m just hoping that it will be developed further.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@tja said:

Thanks, was meant for @MonkeyDrummer as he wanted to promote the App but forgot the link ;)

If App Store search is beyond your technical ability, Senode is probably going to be a little difficult for you.

If you're on your phone that's the only (easy) way to see details for an iPad only app.

• tjatja
    edited May 2019

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@tja said:

As I tried to explain often, trying to promote or discuss some App in a posting should always contain the App Store link.
    This is a basic requirement.

And yes, this should be done by the person starting the topic, not by all 400 people themself who are reading the topic.

That's realy basic: One person starts a topic, one person should offer the link.
    It's just neither friendly nor OK to force all other people to seek themself, and it defeats the purpose of the topic.

I'd you don't understand this, using a forum may be beyond your abilities, to nitpick from what you wrote ;)

• Oh wait....it has Ableton Link Sync in the last update!!

• One question.....

There are CC parameters in the nodes?

• @OnfraySin said:
    One question.....

Just notes. You could, of course, convert notes to CC messages using any of the MIDI processing tools available.

Create another sequence graph that's just being used to make CC messages that has a different structure than the note graph and then have your notes and CC messages (after conversion) constantly pairing in new ways....

• @aplourde said:

@OnfraySin said:
    One question.....

Just notes. You could, of course, convert notes to CC messages using any of the MIDI processing tools available.

Create another sequence graph that's just being used to make CC messages that has a different structure than the note graph and then have your notes and CC messages (after conversion) constantly pairing in new ways....

Yeah! I just tested. Thanks!

• I'm getting it in payday! Great videos @aplourde I saw them a while back but deff enjoyed em again