Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MOZAIC - Create your own AU MIDI plugins - OUT NOW!

Comments

• I think the round robin would work best simply with dials for each of the intervals. Perhaps that is what @winconway is getting at.

• edited August 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • wimwim
    edited August 2019

@Jumpercollins said:

@motmeister said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@motmeister said:
    My first Mozaic “app” (two connected scripts) called “Frazer” is ready for prime time (I think. No doubt there will be untested bugs.). Here’s the description of Frazer in my documentation:

What is Frazer?

Frazer is a Mozaic application. The simple description is that Frazer records series of notes and assigns each to a trigger. When the trigger is then received on MIDI in, the phrase is sent on MIDI out. It was developed using AUM as the host, and Xequence2 to record and playback MIDI received and sent by Frazer. The suite of MIDI tools by Victor Porof has one app, MIDI Route that is helpful to the Frazer app as well.

There are two scripts in the app. Frazer_phrase is the functional module. All processing is done in Frazer_phrase. Frazer_player is used exclusively for scheduling phrase output to A MIDI destination. Multiple iterations of Frazer_player are needed because one phrase can still be playing when another is triggered. The player uses @OnTimer to schedule MIDI notes, so there is one copy of Frazer_player for each timer needed, up to 16.

The phrases recorded and used by Frazer_phrase are not polyphonic. A single phrase cannot play multiple notes at once. But since many (up to 16) phrases can be playing at once, the output of the total app is polyphonic.

A MIDI channel can be assigned to a phrase along with a trigger. As with other apps, you can filter different channels to different synths by using channel filtering in AUM.

The app has several operating modes, selectable by pressing a FUNCTION toggle button (a Mozaic pad).

=============================================================================

What is the preferred way to provide the AUM Project file for Frazer, along with the documentation?

I’m going to close my eyes and post this now. YIKES!

Thanks!

@motmeister Sounds pretty complex script, did you post yet ?

Not yet. There are two pieces, the AUM project file and the pdf documentation. How do people usually “post”? I’ll read back through this topic for hints.

@motmeister The Mosaic script depository is on Patchstorage.com.

You could put links on there for all the items, if not probably the best place for the other bits would be the Mozaic wiki on AB forums.

I'm sure @brambos could advise.

You can also add attachments to replies on patchstorage.com. This might be the best way to add the pdf file.

I'm looking forward to checking out the script. As someone else just learning as I go, I like seeing how different people approach things.

• I just put my Mozaic app, called Frazer (described in a previous post) on patchstorage.com. The first comment there contains links to Dropbox for the documentation and the AUM project file. Helpful comments are appreciated!

• I’m having trouble with AUM saving Mozaic GLOBALs in an AUM Project. I posted a week or so ago asking about it, and was assured that all Mozaic Variables were saved when you saved. But I just finished a test, and it didn’t happen as I expected.

Step by step:
    1. Empty AUM PROJECT WITH A NEW INSTANCE OF Mozaic.
    2. Ran this code:

GLOBAL79[0] = 5
    for idx = 0 to 5
      GLOBAL71[idx] = idx + 1
    endfor

for idx = 0 to 5
      log {GLOBAL71[}, idx, {] }, GLOBAL71[idx]
    endfor

1. The Mozaic Log shows:

GLOBAL71[5] 6
    GLOBAL71[4] 5
    GLOBAL71[3] 4
    GLOBAL71[2] 3
    GLOBAL71[1] 2
    GLOBAL71[0] 1

1. Saved the AUM project as LoadReadTest and closed AUM.

2. Reopened AUM and opened the LoadReadTest project.

3. Ran this part of the code:

for idx = 0 to 5
      log {GLOBAL71[}, idx, {] }, GLOBAL71[idx]
      endfor

4. The Mozaic Log shows:

GLOBAL71[5] 0
    GLOBAL71[4] 0
    GLOBAL71[3] 0
    GLOBAL71[2] 0
    GLOBAL71[1] 0
    GLOBAL71[0] 0

They’re empty and don’t appear to have been saved. Either my understanding of how this works is flawed, or there’s a problem.

@brambos ?

• No, I actually answered that question. Globals are not saved, since they don't belong to any one instance of the plugin. It's conceptually impossible.

• @brambos said:
    No, I actually answered that question. Globals are not saved, since they don't belong to any one instance of the plugin. It's conceptually impossible.

And that’s why I asked if there was a way to save GLOBALs, so the answer is no. The only way to communicate between two instances of Mozaic is with GLOBALs, right? I guess I could always copy the GLOBALs to internal variables before saving, then check if they were saved and restore them on reopening. My Frazer Mozaic “app” was loaded to patchstorage this morning. I’ll post my revision this afternoon.

Thanks for your quick reply. You’re amazingly attentive. :)

• This MOZAIC app is pretty amazing, very cool to see so many people involved... creating.

• edited August 2019

@motmeister tried to download your script Frazier via chrome and I get this. Every other script downloads without a problem?

I tried other browsers aswell with built in download capabilities get the same page come up ?

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @motmeister tried to download your script Frazier via chrome and I get this. Every other script downloads without a problem?

I tried other browsers aswell with built in download capabilities get the same page come up ?

They were loaded as .txt files. I’m new to this. Perhaps they should have been *.mozaic Files? I’ve just created the Mozaic Files. I just posted the links to the Mozaic Files as a comment in patchstorage. Sorry!

• @motmeister said:

@brambos said:
    No, I actually answered that question. Globals are not saved, since they don't belong to any one instance of the plugin. It's conceptually impossible.

And that’s why I asked if there was a way to save GLOBALs, so the answer is no. The only way to communicate between two instances of Mozaic is with GLOBALs, right? I guess I could always copy the GLOBALs to internal variables before saving, then check if they were saved and restore them on reopening. My Frazer Mozaic “app” was loaded to patchstorage this morning. I’ll post my revision this afternoon.

Globals are primarily meant for communicating between instances. Is it essential for your script to be able to save global states in AUM sessions?

• @brambos said:

@motmeister said:

@brambos said:

Globals are primarily meant for communicating between instances. Is it essential for your script to be able to save global states in AUM sessions?

Well, what I’ve now added to my Frazer Project is a function to copy GLOBALs to internals before saving the AUM project, then giving the option of restoring the internals back to GLOBALs when reopening the AUM project, but I think it would be helpful. There are ways around it with code, which I’ve utilized.

There are two modules in Frazer. The main one does all the heavy lifting creating MIDI phrases. The second one, which is a player, needs access to these phrases to “play” them. The player doesn’t change them. I’m thinking of ways to use temporary GLOBALS that are just used for the communication. That could possibly work. Then I could change the more persistent variables to internals, and they’d always be saved when the AUM project was saved.

• @motmeister said:
    I’m thinking of ways to use temporary GLOBALS that are just used for the communication. That could possibly work. Then I could change the more persistent variables to internals, and they’d always be saved when the AUM project was saved.

I highly recommend this. Remember that Globals are not a safe space for storage. Another script (or another instance of the same script) could be overwriting the same Globals at any moment.

• @brambos on the topic of GLOBALs - is every global a Mozaic array (ie behaves exactly like normal variables) or are there any caveats?

I'm thinking of a "copy pattern between instances" feature for Flow - that would require globals to be full arrays and support the normal FillArray/CopyArray functions.

• Ooooh. That would be a great addition for Flow. :)

• _ki_ki
    edited August 2019

@Peblin Yes, the FillArray/CopyArray functions work like normal on the global arrays.

• @wim said:
    Ooooh. That would be a great addition for Flow. :)

Yeah - I need it myself when developing to be able to move patterns between versions :smile:
    Now I only have to solve the problem that I'm running out of pads/buttons for adding new features!
    Need to fit in CC automation as well somewhere...

@_ki said:
    @Peblin Yes, the FillArray/CopyArray functions work like normal on the global arrays.

Thanks @_ki!

• @Peblin : Just found a glitch in Flow 1.0.1

• Load script
    • Tap shift
    • Tap 'clear all'
      => [ONPADSINGLETAP_BUTTONS] Syntax Error: unknown or invalid argument "
      ️"

BTW: The 'box' character is only shown here in the AB forum post after copying the error-message, in Mozaic there's just the double-quotes and a line-break.

I could not really see an error in the OnPadSingleTap_Buttons function, the code look alright.

But when i removed the indentation in all lines following ' elseif pad = BTN_CLEAR_ALL' (and checked for trailing spaces) and re-added the spaces, the error was gone.

@Brambos It seems there is an offending 'invisible' char in there somewhere, could you check the script ?

• @_ki said:
    @Peblin : Just found a glitch in Flow 1.0.1

• Load script
    • Tap shift
    • Tap 'clear all'
      => [ONPADSINGLETAP_BUTTONS] Syntax Error: unknown or invalid argument "
      ️"
      BTW: The 'box' character is only shown here in the AB forum post after copying the error-message, in Mozaic there's just the double-quotes and a line-break.
      I could not really see an error in the OnPadSingleTap_Buttons function, the code look alright.

But when i removed the indentation in all lines following ' elseif pad = BTN_CLEAR_ALL' (and checked for trailing spaces) and re-added the spaces, the error was gone.
    @Brambos It seems there is an offending 'invisible' char in there somewhere, could you check the script ?

Thanks, I managed to reproduce it. I'll check the code and see if some leftover unicode marker is lurking somewhere.

On a vaguely related note @brambos - I've have had several instances where Mozaic's parser breaks when editing the code, and rearranging the code or just clicking "Upload" again makes the code parse correctly. So, I think there might be some parser quirks to iron out.

@_ki (and others... hi @wim :smile: ) if you come up with improvements for Flow I'm more than happy to add collaborators and/or accept pull requests at https://github.com/peblin/flow-sequencer. I've got some CC automation cooking there as well but haven't come up with a nice way of "smoothing" CC values between recorded steps yet.

• _ki_ki
    edited August 2019

@Peblin Yay, cool that you are using github for collaborative Mozaic script development - thats another step into the right direction 👍🏻
    As i see that you did a lot of commits, how is your workflow ?

I script and edit directly in Mozaic/AUM with a bluetooth keyboard and therefore all i can imagine is 'select all' and 'copy' in Mozaic and then somehow paste into an git-enabled editor on the iPad and commit to github.

• edited August 2019

@_ki said:
    @Peblin Yay, cool that you are using github for collaborative Mozaic script development - thats another step into the right direction 👍🏻
    As i see that you did a lot of commits, how is your workflow ?

I script and edit directly in Mozaic/AUM with a bluetooth keyboard and therefore all i can imagine is 'select all' and 'copy' in Mozaic and then somehow paste into an git-enabled editor on the iPad and commit to github.

My workflow is kind of "bi-directional", using handoff/universal clipboard in MacOS/iOS;

• If I have "lot" of time (ie more than an hour to spend) I use the Mac with VSCode to write the code. I "deploy" to iPad using copy/paste (works smoothly most of the time). I try to make sure I actually leave the code in a "working" state when I finish my coding session and commit to GitHub (I tend to commit and push at the same time). When I commit I also make sure to save the patch in Mozaic, so git and iPad is in sync for next coding session.
    • If I have "ad-hoc" coding time (couch/commute/bed) I use Mozaic on the iPad (sometimes on iPhone). I try to make sure to NEVER start coding on the iPad without knowing that I start from a "clean" commit. When in doubt I save to a new patch version (like flow-1.0.2-dev). When I have the iPad and computer nearby I copy back changes to VSCode and commit.

I use GitHub Desktop to simplify my git work. It's really handy and you see all your changes right away in the commit window.

I'm really satisfied with the workflow above - it makes it a lot less scary to do weird refactoring and break stuff when you know that all your stuff is versioned and safe.

EDIT: Forgot to say that I use CoffeScript syntax highlighting in VSCode, it handles most of the Mozaic language quite alright. Except of course the string {brackets}. :wink:

• @Peblin said:
    @brambos on the topic of GLOBALs - is every global a Mozaic array (ie behaves exactly like normal variables) or are there any caveats?

I'm thinking of a "copy pattern between instances" feature for Flow - that would require globals to be full arrays and support the normal FillArray/CopyArray functions.

This doesn't sound safe, if any other script could overwrite the same globals during the copy process?

• Dang, we are gonna need a mozaic YouTube channel soon!

• @bleep said:

@Peblin said:
    @brambos on the topic of GLOBALs - is every global a Mozaic array (ie behaves exactly like normal variables) or are there any caveats?

This doesn't sound safe, if any other script could overwrite the same globals during the copy process?

Indeed, it's not safe. It's also based on an undocumented hack in the way Apple has implemented AUv3 in iOS. It's dirty in every single way :)

There's a reason I didn't want to incorporate it into Mozaic at first. I only added it after 'the community' asked me to do it anyway, in spite of all the drawbacks. So it's pretty much a "use at your own risk" affair.

:)

• _ki_ki
    edited August 2019

@Peblin
    Thanks for the in deep workflow description. Having a mac and universal clipboard feature makes things easier than with a windows pc. I just searched for IOS github clients and there some with integrated editors and syntax highlighting...

@bleep
    Luckily there aren't
    a) that many scripts using globals and
    b) there are 100 arrays with 1000 entries each.
    Therefore interference is quite unlikely (nowadays)

Nevertheless, to check for other scripts interfering my code for bi-directional script to script communication uses

• Magics in front and back of data structures
    • CRC checksum as part of the structure (simple fletchers type)
    • SequenceIDs to allow the receiver to check if message was already processed
    • Before sending out new data, the integrity of the 'last send message' is checked
    • Before reading, the integrity of the 'to be read data' is checked.

This might seem overkill but it was quite easy to implement, allows to recognize interference by other scripts, shutdown own sending and output a log message. I prefer this idea than users just wondering why scripts combinations are not working :)

BTW My scripts with communication use global99[960-999] . If there are objections i'll move to another location.

• @_ki sounds like a carefully implemented solution!

Still, it leaves open a blast from the past with "Syntax error: 999" :smile:

• @bleep said:

@Peblin said:

In theory yes.
    In practice, I'd suspect that most scripts will use globals for communicating between instances on interaction - such as copying stuff between instances with a button. Feels like really bad practice if a script depends on globals being reliable and consistent over time.

I'm really impressed by the elegance of @_ki 's checksum solution but I personally think it's overkill and that GLOBALs shouldn't be used for any kind of "realtime"/continuous script communication. We have midi (soon SYSEX?) for that :smiley:

• edited August 2019

@brambos said:

@motmeister said:
    I’m thinking of ways to use temporary GLOBALS that are just used for the communication. That could possibly work. Then I could change the more persistent variables to internals, and they’d always be saved when the AUM project was saved.

I highly recommend this. Remember that Globals are not a safe space for storage. Another script (or another instance of the same script) could be overwriting the same Globals at any moment.

It was a serious change in direction for the Frazer app, but lots of lessons learned. The old method stored its main data in GLOBALs and simply told the “player” scripts to go read them. The new way packages the data the players need and puts them in GLOBALs only long enough for the players to internalize them, then they delete the contents of those GLOBALs. At the time the data is passed to the players, they play the phrases immediately. I wasn’t sure whether the data transfer would be enough of a hit to affect the timing. I’m still testing, but I can’t hear any delay, thank goodness. My documentation will clearly spell out which GLOBALs I’ll be using so others will be aware. And if they interfere with someone else’s script, I can change them. There aren’t that many now.

• @Peblin The scripts communicate about once a bar or when settings change (its ToggleChannelsOnBarDivisions and its WIP companion) - not a continuous stream with lots of traffic.

I could change that to sysex (when available in the store version) - but this would require two routings to be setup by the user. The current solution with globals just works, without any setup.

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

@Peblin said:

@wim said:
    Ooooh. That would be a great addition for Flow. :)

Yeah - I need it myself when developing to be able to move patterns between versions :smile:
    Now I only have to solve the problem that I'm running out of pads/buttons for adding new features!
    Need to fit in CC automation as well somewhere...

Another, acceptable way (for me anyway) is just to chain instances. Solo the first, record the second, press play. But you have to do your best to press stop before it loops or you get stacked notes.

This is also a good way to "bounce" patterns. Enable the patterns you want in the first instance, arm one on the second instance, and do as above.

If there was a single loop record option, it would make the above even easier.