Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MOZAIC - Create your own AU MIDI plugins - OUT NOW!

Comments

• There’s ‘Split and Remap Rozeta XoX’ script.. I could have sworn I saw a video on it.. Anyway, it is built for GR-16’s drum pads.. Now one can go ‘live’ and record GR-16’s full 16 pads... game-changer..

I think it’s time for Audiobus forum to host sections for developers as KVR does.. Its getting rather difficult to find stuff here.. A section for BramBos apps, Lumbeat, etc.

• As amazing as these scripts are I'm finding that many of them require a degree from Geek university to figure out so I encourage the script creators to please include as much info as you can about using the scripts and create videos whenever possible. I am a musician more than a geek and love bumping into the happy accidents that occur when using these scripts but I don't always feel like I know what I'm doing and feel like the script is controlling me rather than the other way around. In some cases the GUI is still a little terse for me to get visual feedback about what is going on. Thanks for listening!

• @yowza said:
    As amazing as these scripts are I'm finding that many of them require a degree from Geek university to figure out so I encourage the script creators to please include as much info as you can about using the scripts and create videos whenever possible. I am a musician more than a geek and love bumping into the happy accidents that occur when using these scripts but I don't always feel like I know what I'm doing and feel like the script is controlling me rather than the other way around. In some cases the GUI is still a little terse for me to get visual feedback about what is going on. Thanks for listening!

+1 totally agree with these sentiments no wishing to come over as thick but the creators are on a different learning level to us mere musician mortals!

• Careful reading of instructions and experimentation is not too much to ask, I'd say. Of course, a tutorial video is always welcome, but expecting this for every moderately complex script would slow down the output.
    Maybe the usual video providers would step in once in a while?

• Regarding GUI, I'm amazed how far the script creators have taken that shift button and state navigation! When buying Mozaic I thought the GUI would be severely limited, but that has not been the case. I guess people coming from a background of using hardware boxes knew that just a few buttons could take you a long way :)

• Before mozaic came out and I knew little about audiounits or the iOS ecosystem I had planned out a similar tool that ran a JavaScript engine and let you define your own UI. It would have been SO BAD compared to mozaic. The standard templates make it so fast. The language is a perfect balance of complexity. So thank you Bram ❤️

Regarding better documentation or tutorials for my scripts, I'm sorry but aside from descriptions on patchstorage and on here it won't be coming from me. I make these scripts to scratch my own itch and am happy to give them away as long as I can justify low support effort. Making training content would be work I would want to charge money for.

• edited August 2019

@bleep said:
    Careful reading of instructions and experimentation is not too much to ask, I'd say. Of course, a tutorial video is always welcome, but expecting this for every moderately complex script would slow down the output.

I always read carefully so that's not the issue here, at least in my case. I think there is an assumption being made that musicians already know all the geek speak even though I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about MIDI for not being a geek. I think the terse GUI does contribute to the complexity.

Is it more important to crank out a lot of scripts as quickly as possible or make sure that people can actually use the ones that are there?

Edit: at the very least, the instructions for a script and how to use it should be available in the script itself rather than buried in a discussion somewhere like in this or another thread for example. I'm not trying to be negative, I just want to make sure things are as easy as possible for us mere mortals to figure out.

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

@yowza said:

@bleep said:
    Careful reading of instructions and experimentation is not too much to ask, I'd say. Of course, a tutorial video is always welcome, but expecting this for every moderately complex script would slow down the output.

I always read carefully so that's not the issue here, at least in my case. I think there is an assumption being made that musicians already know all the geek speak even though I consider myself fairly knowledgeable about MIDI for not being a geek. I think the terse GUI does contribute to the complexity.

Is it more important to crank out a lot of scripts as quickly as possible or make sure that people can actually use the ones that are there?

Edit: at the very least, the instructions for a script and how to use it should be available in the script itself rather than buried in a discussion somewhere like in this or another thread for example. I'm not trying to be negative, I just want to make sure things are as easy as possible for us mere mortals to figure out.

Making scripts is something script writers do for their own satisfaction and enjoyment. They're not making a product, they're not getting anything back from doing it, and therefore really can't be expected to cater to anyone else's preferences but their own. They put it out there in case others might benefit from it, but more than likely that wasn't the main motivation (at least it isn't usually in my case).

Don't get me wrong, your wishes are valid and should be considered to the extent that script writers are interested in doing so. But I wouldn't expect the same things that you would from commercial scripts. If you're not interested in digging in and discovering something here not well documented enough for you there's no loss in just passing it by.

(I myself have skipped more than one of the more recent complicated scripts, not wanting to put out the effort to grok them just now. But there are a couple I dug into and was rewarded richly for the effort. B) )

Mozaic is a geek tool at heart after all.

• Just a plug here for the wiki. That is the ideal place for tutorials and more detailed documentation of plugins. Volunteering one's time to help explain a plugin better than the developer has been able to is a cool way of returning something to the community for all the freebies we all getting.

(Having said that, I now should put my money where my mouth is. :# )

• @wim said:
    Mozaic is a geek tool at heart after all.

I think that this plain fact is overlooked is a testament to the thought that @brambos put into Mozaic. That is, it's accessible ENOUGH that non-geeks are squinting and saying, "oh wow, that's almost something I can figure out and use".

• @yowza said:

I've not seen any scripts that don't have this. Examples?

• @wim said:
    I've not seen any scripts that don't have this. Examples?

Mine don't have that popup on start with all the instructions, which I'll add on the next update for each (although all the instructions for mine are on patchstorage which I feel is not bad)

• I like the idea of the wiki that Wim mentioned earlier as a central place to look for info but at one point that was hard to find. A lot of bread crumbs are left at the Patchstorage site when you download and in threads here but the fragmentation of knowledge makes it hard to find the info when you are trying to figure out how to use a script.

I really don't want to come across as whiny and complaining as there is already enough of that around here way too often. I'm just not as geeky as you cool kids and I want to be able to join in with the fun. I don't have issues figuring out every script but when they start diving really deep I get lost and feel like the script is running me. I am fine bumping into happy accidents.

I do appreciate your time to respond!!

• edited August 2019

@yowza said:
    I like the idea of the wiki that Wim mentioned earlier as a central place to look for info but at one point that was hard to find. A lot of bread crumbs are left at the Patchstorage site when you download and in threads here but the fragmentation of knowledge makes it hard to find the info when you are trying to figure out how to use a script.

I really don't want to come across as whiny and complaining as there is already enough of that around here way too often. I'm just not as geeky as you cool kids and I want to be able to join in with the fun. I don't have issues figuring out every script but when they start diving really deep I get lost and feel like the script is running me. I am fine bumping into happy accidents.

I do appreciate your time to respond!!

Probably a good idea to ask for tips or clarification about particular scripts when you happen upon them.

Not a bad idea to stop using the word geek unless referring to yourself as being one.

• @wim said:
    Just a plug here for the wiki. That is the ideal place for tutorials and more detailed documentation of plugins. Volunteering one's time to help explain a plugin better than the developer has been able to is a cool way of returning something to the community for all the freebies we all getting.

Is there a dedicated mozaic wiki? Or did you mean the audiobus forum wiki?

• Geek is a compliment, not an insult. B)

• @wim said:
    Geek is a compliment, not an insult. B)

That is absolutely the way I meant it too. Sorry if I offended anyone!!

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

@ohwell said:

@wim said:
    Just a plug here for the wiki. That is the ideal place for tutorials and more detailed documentation of plugins. Volunteering one's time to help explain a plugin better than the developer has been able to is a cool way of returning something to the community for all the freebies we all getting.

Is there a dedicated mozaic wiki? Or did you mean the audiobus forum wiki?

The Audiobus Wiki. There's a Mozaic page, which could be a jumping off point for tutorials, etc.

It's easy enough to find with the search engine, but here's the URL: https://wiki.audiob.us/mozaic_plugin_engine. Nothing much has been added since the main repository shifted to patchstorage.com. But this is a good place to link to tutorials. I'll plan on doing one for Flow so I don't sound like such a hypocrite. ;)

I think it's totally fair game to put the description and instructions on the Patchstorage posting rather than the code. It is a little annoying to get the popup every time you load the script once you don't need it any more. And, some of these scripts are very long, and possibly getting into the territory of maximum number of lines.

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

@yowza said:

@wim said:

It used to be an insult back in the day. But now the chicks dig us. :D

• @wim said:

@yowza said:

@wim said:

It used to be an insult back in the day. But now the chicks dig us. :D

Truth.

• Can you plan to integrate QWERTY and / or AZERTY keyboard stroke in moizaic?
    I plan to use an old keyboard to send midi message to my elektron octatrack via the iconnectivity audio4+ For Arming tracks.
    The only solution i find is the app SIDECAR but i didn’t test it right now.

Anyway, if keystroke message to midi translation can be added in mozaic it will be awesome ;)

• @Hkor said:
    Can you plan to integrate QWERTY and / or AZERTY keyboard stroke in moizaic?
    I plan to use an old keyboard to send midi message to my elektron octatrack via the iconnectivity audio4+ For Arming tracks.

Anyway, if keystroke message to midi translation can be added in mozaic it will be awesome ;)

I haven't tried it yet but I've been thinking about trying a novation launchpad with mozaic. It speaks midi for turning the pads on/off

• @burns_audio said:

@Hkor said:

I haven't tried it yet but I've been thinking about trying a novation launchpad with mozaic. It speaks midi for turning the pads on/off

This would be rad, kind of like Bome MidiTranslator and/or Ableton remote scripts via Moziac.

• @Hkor said:

On hitch with that is iOS doesn't recognize key-off from typing keyboards. So, it could only be used for a toggle.

• edited August 2019

@burns_audio said:

@Hkor said:

Hi have an old but working launchpad MKI too (it’s not class compliant it doesn’t work on iPad) but my goal is to use classic cheap keyboards that I can « destroy » it and don’t regret it because I have many keyboard and it’s cheap like THIS 🤘
    https://www.synthtopia.com/content/2018/10/09/how-to-make-a-diy-foot-switch-controller-from-an-old-usb-computer-keyboard/
    It’s the cheapest way to have an usb midi footswitch controller on iPad.
    So if mozaic can do it I will by moizaic 😋

• Any iOS compatible controller (or any controller that can send midi to an iOS compatible MIDI interface) will work with Mozaic. If it can send notes, Mozaic can see them and do anything you like with them.

• One question
    Can i use patches that have multiple output channels for example midi matrix switch , or multi channel midi delay , in cubasis as host ? Each track of cubasis has just one midi routine output and hasn’t multiple midi matrix input or output like aum . Is there a way to use these patches in cubasis ?

• _ki_ki
    edited August 2019

@pejman Interesting question - i did' yet look into usage scenarios of these scripts with DAWs. I try around if i find the time.

Remarks from very short first test:
    In Cubasis a midi track has 3 midi inserts. The midi played is the output running through all three inserts in series.

If one puts midi generators into the first two slots sending on different midi channels, the plugin in the second slot needs do midi through for incoming midi, otherwise the track will only receive notes from the second slot.

I managed to do apply Midi Matrix Switch in the third slot to switch between Rozeta Bassline sending on ch 2 in slot one and Atom in the middle slot sending on ch 1 (and doing midi through of ch 1). The Rozeta plugins don't do midi through, they use incoming midi to switch between their pattern or for transposition.

But switching between just two generators is not a very useful scenario, in AUM one can do so many more things with multi channel midi.

I'll try around to find something that routes midi from one track to other tracks. IIRC i have several midi plugins that could achieve this.

This would open up the following scenario switching 4 sources between 4 receivers:

• Midi Track 1-4 without intruments sending their midi on different channels to track 5 using a midi-plugin
    • Midi Track 5s with a midi-receiver plugin in its first insert slot, Midi Matrix Switch as second plugin, and another midi-sender plugin on third slot sending to track 6-9
    • Midi Track 6-9 has instruments and each a midi receiver plugin in their first slot.
      (This idea might will fail if the midi sending plugin only relays a single midi channel)
  • I think maybe one solution is to use the midi route au from the midi tools plugin by audioveek/blueveek. This is useful for hosts where midi fx by default only applies to the track where it is located (like in BM3).

• _ki_ki
    edited August 2019

@bleep, @pejman
    I got something running using Audio Veeks MIDI Bus.

I have 2 sender midi tracks, having a MIDI BUS in their third midi-insert slot sending to BUS #1 and BUS#2. If record-to-track is disabled, this send the tracks data to the bus, if record-to-track is enabled, one can use midi-inserts one and two for midi generators.

These two busses are combined on a midi bus summation track having no instrument, but three instances of MIDI Bus.. First instance read BUS #1, second instance BUS #2 but also does midi through (receive combine) and the third instance sends to BUS #3.

On the Midi Matrix Switch track, the first midi insert slot is a MIDI Bus plugin reading from BUS #3, the next slot Mozaic with Midi Matrix Switch and the third slot a MIDI Bus plugin sending to BUS #4

There are two instruments midi tracks, both having a MIDI Bus plugin in their first midi-insert slot, both reading from BUS #4. To separate the channels, there is a Mozaic Midi Channel filter script in midi insert slot two.

I try to share the Cubasis project, when it's running without glitching :)

First conclusion: Multi channel midi transmitted between tracks works in Cubasis - but its complicated to set up and having only 3 midi plugin slots is limiting.

I still don't know why one would want do that in Cubasis at all. The scripts i did were meant for live jams set up in AUM or apeMatrix. If its about capturing the performance to midi, one can already route the midi output by Midi Matrix Switch into Cubasis / Auria Pro and record it.