Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MOZAIC - Create your own AU MIDI plugins - OUT NOW!

Comments

• I am working on a new script (minimalism wizard), which (using one bar MIDI sequences as inputs) can automatically apply various minimalist compositional techniques from the late 60's / 70's (Phasing, Expand/Contract notes, Substract notes). This is a pet project of mine that have been in the design table for a long time, and thanks to Bram's Mozaic I was able to code it in days rather than weeks or months :smiley: .

If you want to take a beta sneak peek, use the attached AUM project (which uses Factory, Atom, and (of course) Mozaic) :) . Try to apply Arp or Pluck Factory patches - the results are wonderful evolving textures <3 .

(The first pad provides the phasing parameters, the second pad allow users to substract notes from the input bar, the third pad allows users to program expanding notes (e.g. E1=> means "expand all notes 1 quarter from first to last note every X bars"), and the fourth pad programs a change of the scale. I will release the finished script plus instructions in the next days :) )

• @rrc2soft said:
    I am working on a new script (minimalism wizard), which (using one bar MIDI sequences as inputs) can automatically apply various minimalist compositional techniques from the late 60's / 70's (Phasing, Expand/Contract notes, Substract notes). This is a pet project of mine that have been in the design table for a long time, and thanks to Bram's Mozaic I was able to code it in days rather than weeks or months :smiley: .

If you want to take a beta sneak peek, use the attached AUM project (which uses Factory, Atom, and (of course) Mozaic) :) . Try to apply Arp or Pluck Factory patches - the results are wonderful evolving textures <3 .

(The first pad provides the phasing parameters, the second pad allow users to substract notes from the input bar, the third pad allows users to program expanding notes (e.g. E1=> means "expand all notes 1 quarter from first to last note every X bars"), and the fourth pad programs a change of the scale. I will release the finished script plus instructions in the next days :) )

Ooooooh that sounds intriguing. I'll be checking this one out tonight! :)

• great work! such a useful type of script :)

@rrc2soft said:
    I am working on a new script (minimalism wizard), which (using one bar MIDI sequences as inputs) can automatically apply various minimalist compositional techniques from the late 60's / 70's (Phasing, Expand/Contract notes, Substract notes). This is a pet project of mine that have been in the design table for a long time, and thanks to Bram's Mozaic I was able to code it in days rather than weeks or months :smiley: .

• Thank you for sharing, @rrc2soft ! Great results: a la Xynthesizr goes AU...

• @rrc2soft said:

thanks for sharing. this is a beauty! excited to see where it goes, and to make more sense of how to use it ;)

• Mozaic will not start anymore!
    Always comes “Please restart your device if...”

Even when I restart... 😎

• @chandroji said:
    Mozaic will not start anymore!
    Always comes “Please restart your device if...”

Even when I restart... 😎

I have a solid solution for this in the upcoming update. It's a weird Apple thing. For now if you load the plugin in an AU host, the standalone will start working too.

• @AtticusL said:

@ZenEagle said:
    https://appsliced.co/app?n=circuitry-15798&l=index

For those who aren’t exactly math wizzes: Circuitry is an educational app/game that’s free today that’ll help you brush up on logic gates/boolean algebra/digital circuits , obviously very useful skills for Mozaic/SB scripting or modular synthesis.

Nice. I’d pay for this but I can’t even find it on the UK App Store.

Bummer, I hadn’t considered UK availability. So far it’s the only one I’ve found that’s setup in the format of a puzzle game. The difficulty of the logic gate problems increases quite rapidly after the first few beginner levels, with each successful solve unlocking more gate types that you can experiment with in sandbox mode.

I just stumbled across a couple circuit simulators that are aimed more at electronics hobbyists, complete with a wide assortment of logic gates, Arduino simulation, DACS, etc. They look like an advanced version Circuitry’s sandbox, without the game mode.

http://icircuitapp.com/
    iCircuit

and another, called EveryCircuit

• Yeah I was looking at those. Definitely interesting.

• @ZenEagle said:

@AtticusL said:

@ZenEagle said:
    https://appsliced.co/app?n=circuitry-15798&l=index

For those who aren’t exactly math wizzes: Circuitry is an educational app/game that’s free today that’ll help you brush up on logic gates/boolean algebra/digital circuits , obviously very useful skills for Mozaic/SB scripting or modular synthesis.

Nice. I’d pay for this but I can’t even find it on the UK App Store.

Bummer, I hadn’t considered UK availability. So far it’s the only one I’ve found that’s setup in the format of a puzzle game. The difficulty of the logic gate problems increases quite rapidly after the first few beginner levels, with each successful solve unlocking more gate types that you can experiment with in sandbox mode.

I just stumbled across a couple circuit simulators that are aimed more at electronics hobbyists, complete with a wide assortment of logic gates, Arduino simulation, DACS, etc. They look like an advanced version Circuitry’s sandbox, without the game mode.

http://icircuitapp.com/
    iCircuit

and another, called EveryCircuit

They look good, cheers.

• just bought icircuit. So far I like.

• edited May 2019

@klownshed said:
    I would like to try to make a script that when triggered would automate a pitch bend from minimum (or maximum) to zero.

I’d like to make a macro that had different durations so that I could quickly and easily test out ¼. ½, whole bar durations, etc and be triggered from a tap of a pad (which in turn could be triggered from a sequencer). Each pad would trigger a pitch bend over a different duration.

Before I dive in (I need to purchase Mozaic first!) am I right in assuming this would be easily doable?

I was trying to achieve the same thing with programming a pitch rise in a synth patch but doing it with pitch bend would be far more flexible and make it easy to audition/tweak sounds including using different auv3 plug ins to get it perfect and also perfectly in time.

I don’t have a daw that I can just draw in pitch bend on my phone and thought this would be a fun experiment and intro into Mozaic too (and further my descent into iOS modular sequencing). I am guessing that this is exactly the kind of thing Mozaic is good at?

I've just been learning and experimenting a bit, but I think you could probably do this. Your Mozaic pitch bend routine can be triggered by timed pulses that are fractions of a beat. Taps on Pads are also events that can trigger your routine to start a timer or counter, and depending on which pad caused the event, calculate and set up the amount needed for ascending or descending pitch bend values per pulse for that note duration.

That's off the top of my head. Once I actually start working out the steps to solve a problem, the solution might change. Mozaic gives us powerful but easy to understand components for building a MIDI app, but depending on what needs to be accomplished, easily doable for a skillful, experienced programmer might be way beyond someone with no such skills. Figuring out the steps to a solution is taking a finite set of available pieces and putting them together to solve a puzzle. If a user doesn't enjoy and have the time for this puzzle-solving process, it's unlikely they get very far. However, just being able to use other people's scripts, and possibly with a little knowledge, tweak them a bit to customize their operation, makes Mozaic a great buy.

The advice I'd give for people who want to make their own scripts is to learn any common scripting language where you have access to basic computer programming education. The concepts are the same, and understanding them helps you take an idea and turn it into the steps that make a functioning application.

• @brambos said:

@wim said:
    Here’s a kind of work in progress. Only lightly tested, so could be buggy...

There are knobs to control eight cc values. Pressing one of the four pads stores a snapshot of the knob values. The pad lights up when a snapshot is stored in it. Touching a lit pad removes the snapshot.

The XY pad can be used to morph between the snapshots. The outside corner of each quadrant sets the knobs to 100% of the snapshot value.

The cc’s assigned to each knob can be changed by holding down the shift button while turning the knob. The bottom-right button changes the midi out channel.

Except for storing the snapshots, this can be run via hardware controller or apps such as Rozeta LFO using AU parameters and MIDI learn.

Like I said, it’s a work in progress. It could probably use some refinement.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y0njcxn6nvi4lcw/Midi CC Morph Pad.mozaic?dl=0

Very neat! Anyone diving into Mozaic scripting should have a look at this script, it does some really advanced things in a compact and readable way!

I’m a massive StreamByter fan/user but bought Mozaic on release, because, well why not! Amazing midi tools are just my cup of tea.

This script by @wim is the first I loaded, and super impressed! I can just imagine pointing this at the Novation Circuit macros and controlling all 8 with the XY pad. Awesome stuff!

I’m a heavy user of StreamByter’s sysex functionalities. Will sysex be heading into Mozaic?

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@klownshed said:
    I would like to try to make a script that when triggered would automate a pitch bend from minimum (or maximum) to zero.

I’d like to make a macro that had different durations so that I could quickly and easily test out ¼. ½, whole bar durations, etc and be triggered from a tap of a pad (which in turn could be triggered from a sequencer). Each pad would trigger a pitch bend over a different duration.

Before I dive in (I need to purchase Mozaic first!) am I right in assuming this would be easily doable?

I was trying to achieve the same thing with programming a pitch rise in a synth patch but doing it with pitch bend would be far more flexible and make it easy to audition/tweak sounds including using different auv3 plug ins to get it perfect and also perfectly in time.

I don’t have a daw that I can just draw in pitch bend on my phone and thought this would be a fun experiment and intro into Mozaic too (and further my descent into iOS modular sequencing). I am guessing that this is exactly the kind of thing Mozaic is good at?

Sure, this is relatively easily doable. You can easily generate a pitchbend message with the SendMIDIPitchbend function. The duration for each pad can easily be set with the aid of the QuarterNote and HostBeatsPerMeasure functions.

You can’t trigger pads directly from a sequencer. But you can simply duplicate what happens in response to triggering a pad and receiving a midi note or other event from the sequencer.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Will sysex be heading into Mozaic?

It’s on my to-be-investigated-list. In order to make it most useful I’d like to know how people intend to use it. And I’ll need to check how many of the most used hosts support Sysex transmissions between plugins.

• edited May 2019

@brambos
    For me it would make it easier to integrate synths in AUM sessions. Maybe few knobs to tweak, but mostly to save/recall patches.
    And a script that would split Blofeld patch (392 bytes) to feed Lemur (max 256) for deep editing. Long time waiting for something that could help me with that.

• @brambos said:

@SpookyZoo said:

It’s on my to-be-investigated-list. In order to make it most useful I’d like to know how people intend to use it. And I’ll need to check how many of the most used hosts support Sysex transmissions between plugins.

For me, main Sysex usage in Mozaic would be to recognise incoming patch dump, for example a 527byte Novation Peak patch, and then be able to single out any address value of that message and either use it with Mozaic controls or forward it on to Midi Designer.

The ability to add delays between messages would be vital to send multiple NRPN messages.

This is currently my main and favourite use of StreamByter/MidiFire.

Cheers.

• I'm currently investigating an issue in Nanostudio 2 which makes the UI become really sluggish. Running multiple instances seems to make it worse.

It looks like the UI gets hammered with events and updates while interacting with it. Strange thing is that of all the AU MIDI hosts it only seems to happen in NS2.

I'm looking into this.

• @brambos said:
    I'm currently investigating an issue in Nanostudio 2 which makes the UI become really sluggish. Running multiple instances seems to make it worse.

It looks like the UI gets hammered with events and updates while interacting with it. Strange thing is that of all the AU MIDI hosts it only seems to happen in NS2.

I'm looking into this.

This could be the same reason some other midi plugins are sometimes having issues in NS2 like Stepbud

• @recccp said:
    @brambos
    For me it would make it easier to integrate synths in AUM sessions. Maybe few knobs to tweak, but mostly to save/recall patches.
    And a script that would split Blofeld patch (392 bytes) to feed Lemur (max 256) for deep editing. Long time waiting for something that could help me with that.

Haha I don't even know what this means 🤣🤣 you win

• Haven't bought this yet - mainly because I'm fiddling with bleedin code all day, but some of the things that Wim lad has come up with look interesting - so I might have to get the wallet out tonight.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Haven't bought this yet - mainly because I'm fiddling with bleedin code all day, but some of the things that Wim lad has come up with look interesting - so I might have to get the wallet out tonight.

This one comes highly recommended. Great value for money and so educational. My Mozaic has quickly swelled to close to 60 scripts, many preloaded and some superb ones from here including of course, Wim. My free time is limited these days but I am still managing to create a few useful ones for myself which is very rewarding 🙂🙂

• @wim said:

@klownshed said:

Sure, this is relatively easily doable. You can easily generate a pitchbend message with the SendMIDIPitchbend function. The duration for each pad can easily be set with the aid of the QuarterNote and HostBeatsPerMeasure functions.

You can’t trigger pads directly from a sequencer. But you can simply duplicate what happens in response to triggering a pad and receiving a midi note or other event from the sequencer.

Cool thanks. :-)

I have another idea for a script so will dig in when I have an hour or so to work it out.

As plug ins such as baseline and cells allow for transposing I want to make a script that takes the lowest played key to transpose the baseline and the highest played key to transpose a synth line. So you can have independent control of each and easily played even with the on screen keys.

So decision made; will dive in soon.

• I think what would be useful would be a function that allows you to easily grab a loop. The way i envisage this working is it would start recording on the beginning of a bar, and would end after x bars (defined by the script/user).

Then that function could be used in a bunch of scripts for stuff like humanizing a loop, transforming it in various ways and even applying some kind of groove to it. When user defined functions launch I will write one I think.

As an example of what I'm thinking of doing with this:
    https://www.ambientonline.org/forum/ambient/ambient-theory-and-methods/2695-minimalist-music-composition-techniques

A script that allowed you to apply these techniques to a loop would be seriously cool...

What would be really neat would be if you could import a Midi file - but I feel that's a little out of scope.

• @Trueyorky said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Haven't bought this yet - mainly because I'm fiddling with bleedin code all day, but some of the things that Wim lad has come up with look interesting - so I might have to get the wallet out tonight.

This one comes highly recommended. Great value for money and so educational. My Mozaic has quickly swelled to close to 60 scripts, many preloaded and some superb ones from here including of course, Wim. My free time is limited these days but I am still managing to create a few useful ones for myself which is very rewarding 🙂🙂

Yeah I can see the value for money angle - there are a couple of apps on my to-buy list which this might cover ;)

• @cian said:
    I think what would be useful would be a function that allows you to easily grab a loop. The way i envisage this working is it would start recording on the beginning of a bar, and would end after x bars (defined by the script/user).

Then that function could be used in a bunch of scripts for stuff like humanizing a loop, transforming it in various ways and even applying some kind of groove to it. When user defined functions launch I will write one I think.

As an example of what I'm thinking of doing with this:
    https://www.ambientonline.org/forum/ambient/ambient-theory-and-methods/2695-minimalist-music-composition-techniques

A script that allowed you to apply these techniques to a loop would be seriously cool...

What would be really neat would be if you could import a Midi file - but I feel that's a little out of scope.

That's precisely the script I am developing now :smile: . Check the AUM file I posted one or two pages ago for an almost finished example. From that list, I am applying note substraction/addition and phasing, plus scale transformation and note extension.

• @brambos said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@brambos for my use cases I don’t need plugin > plugin SysEx at all, just virtual MIDI out from the track (e.g. to SoundCanvas app or external hardware)

• I don't think I'd use SysEx

• @Jumpercollins said:

@EyeOhEss said:

@wim said:

@TheOriginalPaulB said:
    How about being able to hide/reveal controls using a dropdown list? That way you could release a super template with overlapping controls all over the shop and users could just activate the ones that they want to use in the positions that suit them.

Midi Designer Pro 2. I’m not convinced Mozaic needs to go into that territory. It’s already covered.

Does midi designer pro 2 offer same kind of ‘under the hood’ scripting etc as Mozaic? I always assumed it was just a ‘build your own midi controller environment’ thing?

MDP2 does have StreamByter built in as a IAP. I know that but I never dived in that deeply with it.

Do you already have to own StreamByter to purchase the IAP for MDP2?

With regards to the utility of MDP2, it's still unbeatable at controlling hardware. I have a template for my Oberheim Matrix 1000 which effectively turns an 'analog rompler' into a Matrix 6. It's effectively an iOS version of this:

• @reasOne said:

@recccp said:
    @brambos

Haha I don't even know what this means 🤣🤣 you win

:)
    Which part?