Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IPad Multiple Audio Outs for live performances

2»

Comments

• Ultimately the project will have 4 live performers: 2 keytar/vocalists and two electronic percussionists/vocalist. With that set up there would be one or both keytarists playing iPads as well and some backing keyboard tracks, additional percussion tracks and samples along with a click sent out to all the performers

Right now it is only me on Keytar/vocals and a one percussionist.

I am playing my live sounds on Obsidian in NS2 and sometimes a mix of of synths in AUM
    I have been building percussion tracks in DM1 but I hear that does not play well in other DAW'S? I wanted to use it and possibly Cubasis2 or Gadget for the other backing tracks but I have not implemented those yet

The percussionist is playing triggers through an Alesis DM10 module

Right now I am rehearsing with the DMI on an iPad mini2 as a stand alone drum machine and playing Obsidian and AUM live on a 2017 iPad Pro while the percussionist plays the Alesis DM10 setup. These three audio channels plus one vocal channel go into a mixer.

Soon I will create the the backing tracks I.e. Synths, arpeggios, samples, additional
    Percussion and a click. I was hoping to just use the one iPad Pro live with multiple outs for the all the audio except the Vocals and Alesis DM10

• Wow... from the side of being keytarist with backing tracks myself and also for the mesh you described lol.

First of all let’s see if I list right the set...
    Inputs:
    4 mics
    4 stereo instruments

Outputs:
    Groups?
    Stereo drums? Includding eDrums?
    Stereo backing keys/synths
    Mono bass?
    Stereo lead vocals
    Stereo chorus vocals?

So if you fit these into iPad (for fx or using it as mixer) or these gone mixed at mixer and you just need to send the backings...

Makes sense?

If I can give an advice to go forward...
    I will have fx outsourced as dedicated hardware fx units so voice/instruments into fx (or loop fx) and then into dedicated mixer (or venue mixer).
    For backing tracks I have some approaches but in your described workflow I will use something like Prime or JamTracks (with multiple stems, support for dedicated outputs and midi remote control). Maybe a dedicated hardware multitrack recorder or laptop with Ableton live could be a solution (macs support for aggregated devices so you can use more than one audio/midi interfaces).

Prime has also some song part cue options, click track with announcements (intro! Chorus! Phrase! Etc) so, aside drawbacks, it’s a legit option.

Another option is build 4 tracks stem audio version and use a dj app (traktor desktop or djplayer iOS)

About hardware interfaces:
    Focusrite are the most balanced from input/outputs price/compatibility but RME are a legend so for live maybe worth the extra cash.
    I advice these since you want to record some of these stems instead just create them from plugs/AUs and just play backtracks.

I like your set and I’m myself in similar situation but I’m more a one man band so most of the backtracks are created by tools like garageband or digitech trio+ (hardware). Also I wonder to use GTL to have audio backtracks (Digitech is synth) and some looping extra control (Digitech has one slot for each song part).

Now GTL is going universal I can go with just tc helicon VK, iPhone and footpedal for contro meanwhile hands on keytar :smiley:

• Correct me if I’m wrong but at some point news have surfaced that the built in jack can be used at the same time as the usb audio interface. If this is true then iOS indeed CAN drive two interfaces at the same time if one is to count the internal one.

• @supadom said:
    Correct me if I’m wrong but at some point news have surfaced that the built in jack can be used at the same time as the usb audio interface. If this is true then iOS indeed CAN drive two interfaces at the same time if one is to count the internal one.

Only if your iPad has a jack :(

• @mistercharlie said:

@supadom said:
    Correct me if I’m wrong but at some point news have surfaced that the built in jack can be used at the same time as the usb audio interface. If this is true then iOS indeed CAN drive two interfaces at the same time if one is to count the internal one.

Only if your iPad has a jack :(

True dat

• edited May 2019

@supadom said:

Aside internal which IDK truly how it works... the main rule is iPad can have 2 if 1 of them is only inputs and then other only output. When you have 2 from the same category one of them overrides the other (first arrives gets the resource) but that also means you can use midi side of the second depending on the connection order.

• No aggregate audio inputs? That's kind of a drag.

• @Barrage said:
    No aggregate audio inputs? That's kind of a drag.

Using cck3 nope.
    With internal mic IDK (repeat once again)

• @ricksteruk said:

@enc said:
    Are there any videos online explaining how to set up multi outs with a USB interface ? I couldn't find any.

There’s not much to set up as far as iOS is concerned. You just plug it in to the lightning port via CCK.

Main input is USB in 1/2
    Main output is USB out 1/2

If you want to use any other inputs or outputs you have to select them in the app you are using. So in audiobus or AUM you just select the output speaker and choose hardware output USB 3/4 for example. Same with inputs - just click the microphone input icon and select USB 3/4.

If the app you are using has no controls for selecting the input and output then you are stuck with USB1/2