Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can’t open .mid files from the share sheet [SOLVED]!

When i try to share .mid files from the share sheet, it just spins and spins, and apps and actions never populate the bottom two rows of the share sheet. Any ideas?

Comments

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    When i try to share .mid files from the share sheet, it just spins and spins, and apps and actions never populate the bottom two rows of the share sheet. Any ideas?

What share sheet and app are we talking about?

• Works for me from the files app.

• Here’s a pic from filebrowser. Same thing from Dropbox. I think it’s a corrupted app that prevents them all from loading.

• Works in filebrowser for me.
    I don’t have AudioCopy installed. That is one that caused weird stuff like this for me in the past.

• Well, it works on my iPhone, but not my iPad. There’s no easy way for me to do a diff and figure out what is only on my iPad.

• This is driving me crazy. I am one by one deleting apps that I believe claim to handle .mid files to find out which one is causing the conflict. I am just pumping this up to see if anyone else has had this problem and not seen this before.

Does anyone have any better ideas as to how to identify the app that is causing the problem?

• Have you power-cycled the iPad?

• @espiegel123 said:
    Have you power-cycled the iPad?

3000 times. I am literally going app-by-app and deleting and restoring until I figure this out.

• Found the culprit! “MIDI Keyboard!” I deleted the app, and now I can open Midi files just fine!

Would someone be willing to download and confirm? Anyway, here is the bug-causing app:

midi Keyboard by Gianluca Natalini
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-keyboard/id563264600?mt=8

Found the culprit! “MIDI Keyboard!” I deleted the app, and now I can open Midi files just fine!

Would someone be willing to download and confirm? Anyway, here is the bug-causing app:

midi Keyboard by Gianluca Natalini
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-keyboard/id563264600?mt=8

That was one very old app ;)
    Wonder if the developer is still maintaining it?

Did you send them a report of the issues it's causing?

• @Samu said:

You betcha! It’s really a pain, because very rarely will a bug in a single app break other apps in iOS. It’s really a problem there. It was infuriating, I couldn’t use MIDI anywhere.

Thank you for replying, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t losing my mind. It really bothers me that individual apps can corrupt the share sheet for all the other apps.

@Samu said:

You betcha! It’s really a pain, because very rarely will a bug in a single app break other apps in iOS. It’s really a problem there. It was infuriating, I couldn’t use MIDI anywhere.

Thank you for replying, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t losing my mind. It really bothers me that individual apps can corrupt the share sheet for all the other apps.

I've had some issues with apps from a few developers that interfere with launching AudioShare (to use the Import from AudioShare feature) and launch the offending app instead, needless to say those apps are since long been deleted from my iPad...

I'm really looking forward to iOS13 and seeing what improvements it will bring to file-management and other audio-related 'things'.

I seldom have issues with the 'Share Sheet' other than that it sometimes fails to 'see' my other devices...

And well, ShareSheet on iOS is still wonky because I can easily 'AirDrop' multiple files from the iPad to my Mac but it's next to impossible to send multiple files using the ShareSheet to another app running on the device or send multiple files from the Mac using Airdrop to the iPad...

Oh, well happy you found the offender :D

• @Samu said:

I seldom have issues with the 'Share Sheet' other than that it sometimes fails to 'see' my other devices...

And well, ShareSheet on iOS is still wonky because I can easily 'AirDrop' multiple files from the iPad to my Mac but it's next to impossible to send multiple files using the ShareSheet to another app running on the device or send multiple files from the Mac using Airdrop to the iPad...

It’s unnerving. It reminds me of trying to resolve extension conflicts in earlier versions of Mac OS by removing all your extensions and then re-introducing them one at a time. What a pain! Something I don’t want to replicate in iOS.

@Samu said:

It’s unnerving. It reminds me of trying to resolve extension conflicts in earlier versions of Mac OS by removing all your extensions and then re-introducing them one at a time. What a pain! Something I don’t want to replicate in iOS.

Agreed!

Another offending app/sdk is AudioCopy which sometimes can not connect...
    Some apps use older versions of the sdk which can cause havoc and I do not know what happened to the promised AudioCopy update...

As iOS doesn’t have a global 3rd party library support it can quickly get annoying if all apps are not updated with the latest version of the sdk...

The above is partly why I nowdays suggest usage of standard iOS features in favor of 3rd party solutions. That in turn requires the users to keep their iOS versions up-to-date...
    (Ie. ShareSheet for export and Open In for import).