Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

StreamByter - Big Hard Excellent... Update!

13»

Comments

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@White said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Looks like the update with Nimble Looper is out. If you after a simple AU midi looper you can’t go wrong with this does as it sayes on the tin. Worth getting StreamByter just for this.

Wow, it’s really amazing that this is possible to do using a script :o

Honestly, blew my mind. And state saving!

Can one run them independent of host tempo?

• Very cool indeed. But being the simple caveman that I am, is this not something I can do already with Atom? And without breaking out in hives at the prospect of coding?

• This was just recording and playback.
    Nothing stops anyone from enhancing the scripts with note and chord detection, your own take on auto-accompaniment, algorithmic auto-melody creation based on what you've played etc etc

• So far I've written the same script in Streambyter and Mozaic. Mozaic is way easier, but the Streambyter script actually worked in NanoStudio 2 while the Mozaic one didn't.

• @cian said:
    So far I've written the same script in Streambyter and Mozaic. Mozaic is way easier, but the Streambyter script actually worked in NanoStudio 2 while the Mozaic one didn't.

Thus proving what? That it’s easier to write code that doesn’t work 👿

• @cian said:
    So far I've written the same script in Streambyter and Mozaic. Mozaic is way easier, but the Streambyter script actually worked in NanoStudio 2 while the Mozaic one didn't.

@cian Did you make public the Mozaic midi looper ? If so what did you call it ?

• @BiancaNeve said:

@cian said:

Well, it's supposed to work (and does in other hosts), so it will work within a matter of days if the problem is something on my end.

• @espiegel123 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@White said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Looks like the update with Nimble Looper is out. If you after a simple AU midi looper you can’t go wrong with this does as it sayes on the tin. Worth getting StreamByter just for this.

Wow, it’s really amazing that this is possible to do using a script :o

Honestly, blew my mind. And state saving!

Can one run them independent of host tempo?

Answering my own question: yes!

• I gave this initial version of Nimble Looper a test drive and can use some advice.

Latency seems to be pretty high getting MIDI to the synth target.

So, after making a loop it needs shifting to be in sync with AUM's clock so
    I thought I'd get some input from other users of the script. Have you been able to
    make loops that sync well with AUM's metronome? I think I'd like to quantize to 16th notes
    and then have the ability to shift notes forward by 16ths until I have a clock good alignment.

It helps me for now to just turn off the metronome and get something going that way.

• @BiancaNeve said:

@cian said:

No - the script worked fine in AUM. There just seemed to be a problem with Nanostudio, which could easily be Nanostudio's fault. I'm sure that @brambos will fix it now that I've sent him the bug details.

I'm a fairly experienced programmer (yes, as the person responsible for the infamous Assembler comment - I've written Assembler) and I found writing scripts in Streambyter fairly unpleasant. It can be done, but the Mozaic language and framework is far easier to work with. A lot of the unpleasant grunt work is taken care of for you. I have no idea how they compare on performance - my guess is that there's not much in it, but I could be wrong.

One key difference is that Mozaic is written as a MidiAU plugin, rather than as a midi filter, and so when writing a script for an AU Moziac feels more natural.

That said, I don't think Streambyter is bad by any means. And it's possible that in certain situations it would be better than Mozaic - though I don't know what they would be.

• @cian

There just seemed to be a problem with Nanostudio

There seem to be problems with a few MIDI auv3s in NS 2.0.1

StepBud for example is still broken.

• edited May 2019

@cian said:
    That said, I don't think Streambyter is bad by any means. And it's possible that in certain situations it would be better than Mozaic - though I don't know what they would be.

One difference is that Streambyter can handle SysEx, while (for now) Mosaic cannot.

• @busker said:

@cian said:

One difference is that Streambyter can handle SysEx, while (for now) Mosaic cannot.

Absolutely the biggest selling point for me on StreamByter.

I use StreamByter to parse the sysex of patch dumps from my hardware synths then feed those values into the controls of my MidiDesigner layouts.

This allows me to fetch and display the current state of any patch.