SynthJacker 5.4 Update

McDMcD
edited May 13 in General App Discussion

SynthJacker ($4) added some nice features with the 5.0 and 5.4 updates:

New output settings:

1) You can now select the file format of the exported note slices from AIFF, WAVE or CAF.
2) There is an option to retain the original session recording in CAF format (up to 10 minutes or more) if you want to do your own slicing with another app or in a sampler tool.
3) Sampled notes can be set to 10 seconds of recording (trimming reduces from this max)

NOTE: The SFZ file produced doesn't include any info about velocity needed for layering.

AudioLayer works well using the Patch-Note-Velocity naming scheme for a bulk import.
NS2 works best by saving samples in 3 velocity labeled directories.
Auria Pro and StageLight SFZ imports will be a problem without velocity details to create layers but single velocity sample sets might work.

Recording from AU's works well and produces stereo sample sets.
External hardware works well but only records in mono at this time.

The developer (@coniferprod) continues to accept enhancement requests and is delivering regular updates.

Comments

  • Nice update!

  • edited May 13

    I can’t see the GUI for Factory synth when loaded as an AU in SynthJacker and - because the factory presets don’t load either - that means I can’t select a preset to sample.

    Do other people have this problem as well?

    iPad Pro 10.5” running iOS 12.2

  • @qryss said:
    I can’t see the GUI for Factory synth when loaded as an AU in SynthJacker and - because the factory presets don’t load either - that means I can’t select a preset to sample.

    Do other people have this problem as well?

    iPad Pro 10.5” running iOS 12.2

    This came up in a PM chat with the developer and another Factory user. He has added it to his list of issues to address. So, it's been accepted as a bug.

  • @qryss said:
    I can’t see the GUI for Factory synth when loaded as an AU in SynthJacker and - because the factory presets don’t load either - that means I can’t select a preset to sample.

    It’s most likely a SynthJacker bug. Seems like Factory is not publishing factory (!) presets in the AUv3 way, but without the GUI it’s not possible to select one of its own either. Will be looking at this soon, hope there is an easy fix. If anyone has Aparillo by Sugar Bytes with the AU IAP bought, please verify if it also shows a blank view.

  • @McD said:
    NOTE: The SFZ file produced doesn't include any info about velocity needed for layering.

    As a workaround, if you know your way around SFZ files, you can add the velocity opcodes to the sample regions with a text editor. The automatic velocity zone mapping algorithm is in development.

    Recording from AU's works well and produces stereo sample sets.
    External hardware works well but only records in mono at this time.

    Input selection for audio interfaces with multiple channels will most likely be in the next feature update. It is progressing well.

  • Aparillo and Factory both stay empty when accessing the synth

  • Thanks for checking. At least Factory returns a view but it has zero dimensions. If I can’t figure it out I’ll try to contact SugarBytes.

  • Hey @coniferprod - I tried sampling my microkorg the other day and the play/record buttons stayed greyed out. I figured the problem was me because it was my first try. Can you please fix this link? That would be helpful, thank you!

    http://www.coniferproductions.com/apps/synthjacker/synthjacker-user-manual/

  • The link does not work but if you click on the link that appears on the site that is listed it takes you to user manual.

  • That still doesn’t work for me (thanks though) - object not found when I click the SynthJacker link

  • edited May 13

    Should be fixed now, sorry for the inconvenience. The website is in a halfway state between WordPress and a static site, and seems like many links are broken because of that. But at least the manual should be OK now.

    There's also a PDF version: http://www.coniferproductions.com/apps/synthjacker/synthjacker-user-manual/SynthJacker-for-iOS-User-Manual.pdf

  • edited May 13

    @girlvsworld said:
    I tried sampling my microkorg the other day and the play/record buttons stayed greyed out. I figured the problem was me because it was my first try.

    Hmm. I assume you connected your MIDI-equipped audio interface? Does the status line say "Select external instrument or audio unit" in red? If so, then tap on the "External Instrument" selector, and select a MIDI destination port, MIDI channel and audio input. When you have workable configuration, it enables the Play and Record buttons.

  • I hope some day SJ will be able to hijack IAA synth to raise them by the power of sampling into the Audio unit realm with the magic sorcery of AudioLayer ;)
    (Fingers crossed!)

  • @david_2017 said:
    I hope some day SJ will be able to hijack IAA synths.

    +1 Top feature request for me too.

    It is possible now to use hardware loopbacks (connect the In's and Out's for audio and MIDI) with an audio interface. It works great... just be advised it's currently mono but the next release will most likely enable stereo too for the Loopback External access to any IOS audio app that accepts MIDI triggers.

  • @McD
    I am highly lusting after a simple IAA solution in the iPad. Haha
    Can’t wait to get the dust off my Thor...

  • If AB3 support were added that would solve the problem with regard to any IAA app that AB3 or AUM can "host"

  • @espiegel123 said:
    If AB3 support were added that would solve the problem with regard to any IAA app that AB3 or AUM can "host"

    Good point. AudioBus is simple and elegant for basic audio plumbing. Is it embedded in AudioKit? AudioKit has been mentioned by @coniferprod in previous comments.

  • +1 for Audiobus support. That would relatively easily (I think) enable everything I need from this app. Hell of a lot easier than getting AU hosting to work reliably! Probably.

  • @coniferprod said:

    @girlvsworld said:
    I tried sampling my microkorg the other day and the play/record buttons stayed greyed out. I figured the problem was me because it was my first try.

    Hmm. I assume you connected your MIDI-equipped audio interface? Does the status line say "Select external instrument or audio unit" in red? If so, then tap on the "External Instrument" selector, and select a MIDI destination port, MIDI channel and audio input. When you have workable configuration, it enables the Play and Record buttons.

    It seems to me that’s what I did, but I’ll try again to make sure. Thanks for the manual!

  • @wim said:
    +1 for Audiobus support. That would relatively easily (I think) enable everything I need from this app. Hell of a lot easier than getting AU hosting to work reliably! Probably.

    If it handled audiobus, it wouldn't even really need to deal with AU directly. It could just let AB3 do the heavy lifting.

  • wimwim
    edited May 14

    Yep. Wouldn’t need to worry about mono vs. stereo interfaces, midi routing, nothin’.

Sign In or Register to comment.