Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Latency optimization questions

2»

Comments

• @Thardus said:

@Multicellular said:

@cian said:
    It's a shame that Linux has never really taken off for audio/midi - as once it's configured properly you can get rock solid timing and super low latencies.

I used Linux for a while during law school. To start, basically, I was too poor to afford a new computer. Linux really revitalized an old Dell I had.

But I stopped after law school. I was watching one of the Terminator movies and realized....this computer has NEVER crashed since I put Red Hat on it. Got me worrying. Went back to Windows because I love humans.

Made me chuckle. Same reason I never use Siri, can you imagine all the hate she must be accumulating from the millions of inane garbage she I asked every day. Hoping she focuses her rage on Apple instead of humanity at large.

Also, I was curious how things worked as far as audio/midi latency in iConnectivity devices, as I have not had any issues with my iConnectivity Audio 2+.

I have used it to record live instruments, virtual instruments with external controllers and midi in both directions from iPad and iMac and have not noticed any significant latency, nor has my wife, who isn't very interested in the tech side of music making, but is much better at piano/keyboard/most things and tends to be more sensitive to rhythmic inconsistencies. Here is a link to a blog post they posted on latency, and is mostly general info/advice (vs self promotion).

https://www.iconnectivity.com/blog/latency-when-it-and-isnt-important-and-how-deal-it-when-it

@cian
    So if I'm understanding you correctly, there's nothing inherent to usb that makes it worse than old school midi cables, the trouble comes from how non-linux based OS prioritize things, and the lack of standards for midi I/O in digital music devices? Is that more or less correct, at least in regards to the OP's initial question?

Would also be fascinated to know more about what you learned from this gentleman who you spoke to.
    It appears we owe him a great debt, I doubt iOS or Apple would be nearly as popular with musicians if we had audio problems of Windows + down sides to using Apple devices.

• @Thardus said:
    @BroCoast

Just occurred to me when I was reading another thread, couldn't Cubasis be affecting the results due of your tests due to it's (relatively) low MIDI resolution, 48 ppq I believe?

I was only using it to look at the recordings. The actual recordings and all MIDI was done in AUM. :smile: