Dropbox > Files > Hell

Wanted to export some STRNG presets from my phone to my iPad........iOS files system drives me insane! What would be couple of clicks on other platforms I’ve been struggling with for 10 minutes...

Probably user error. But first problem I hit was when I have multiple files selected in the Files app and hit ‘copy to dropbox’....It only copies one of the selected files. Not all of them....So I had to go through and copy them all individually.

Now I’ve finally got the files in my iPad dropbox app but can’t find dropbox folder in Files and can’t figure out how to export all the patch files from Dropbox to my STRNG folder.....Help!!

Comments

  • I have stopped using Dropbox since they put a 3 device limit on it. But files integrates better with iCloud anyway

  • @BiancaNeve said:
    I have stopped using Dropbox since they put a 3 device limit on it. But files integrates better with iCloud anyway

    Thanks for insights. 3 devices is ok for Dropbox for me but Im not loyal to it if there’s better options :)

    I Just read about Airdrop... can I use that without having to enable iCloud etc? Straight Bluetooth transfer between two devices? Files app>Files app?

  • @EyeOhEss copy the files to Documents App or Audioshare. Create a folder/move files to folder/create zip/upload to dropbox.

  • @stormbeats said:
    @EyeOhEss copy the files to Documents App or Audioshare. Create a folder/move files to folder/create zip/upload to dropbox.

    Thanks man. Good plan :) How do I get files from Dropbox to Files after they’re in iPad?

  • On my iPhone Dropbox shows as a location in Files. Not there on iPad :/

  • Scrap that. I just found out I had to enable it in Files app. Coming from windows the whole iOS files system feels really hard work! Guess just takes some learning...

  • @EyeOhEss you can either copy&paste within files.app but if thats an issue then use the export option in the dropbox app then use the ipads Document Picker/Copy to...select app.

  • You can use an intermediary app. I recommend Documents by Readdle.

    Install Documents.

    Go to Files, find your folder you want to copy and tap ‘select’ then tap the folder.

    Tap the move icon at the bottom of the screen. Duplicate it first if you want a copy.

    Select iCloud Drive in the destination list and then browse to the Documents folder. (Mine is labelled PDFExpert as I have the two apps linked to add extra capabilities to Documents).

    Then tap ‘Move’

    Now open Documents, find the folder you’ve just copied (tap edit first) then tap “more” at the bottom of the screen then tap “Upload”.

    You can then upload to Dropbox from there. Documents will ask you to authorise Dropbox.

    That’s it.

    Sounds more long winded than it is. In the future you can save any files you want directly into the Documents folder in iCloud Drive just as you would if you were using the files app but you then use the Documents app to move them around.

    Documents can also do things like zip files and folders and can preview documents.

  • @BiancaNeve : So you’re saying all in all Dropbox is a better bet than iCloud?

  • @EyeOhEss said:
    Wanted to export some STRNG presets from my phone to my iPad........iOS files system drives me insane! What would be couple of clicks on other platforms I’ve been struggling with for 10 minutes...

    Probably user error. But first problem I hit was when I have multiple files selected in the Files app and hit ‘copy to dropbox’....It only copies one of the selected files. Not all of them....So I had to go through and copy them all individually.

    Now I’ve finally got the files in my iPad dropbox app but can’t find dropbox folder in Files and can’t figure out how to export all the patch files from Dropbox to my STRNG folder.....Help!!

    Dropbox on iOS is a nightmare, the most unintuitive UI going.

  • @klownshed said:
    You can use an intermediary app. I recommend Documents by Readdle.

    Install Documents.

    Go to Files, find your folder you want to copy and tap ‘select’ then tap the folder.

    Tap the move icon at the bottom of the screen. Duplicate it first if you want a copy.

    Select iCloud Drive in the destination list and then browse to the Documents folder. (Mine is labelled PDFExpert as I have the two apps linked to add extra capabilities to Documents).

    Then tap ‘Move’

    Now open Documents, find the folder you’ve just copied (tap edit first) then tap “more” at the bottom of the screen then tap “Upload”.

    You can then upload to Dropbox from there. Documents will ask you to authorise Dropbox.

    That’s it.

    Sounds more long winded than it is. In the future you can save any files you want directly into the Documents folder in iCloud Drive just as you would if you were using the files app but you then use the Documents app to move them around.

    Documents can also do things like zip files and folders and can preview documents.

    Thanks :) good advice, will keep in mind for future. Finally got the files across and all good.

  • Give me strength.....now the imported STRNG presets aren’t showing up in the STRNG preset list...Any ideas?

  • Hi,
    Sometimes, if you haven’t saved any presets yet on one device, imported presets won’t show, its like a user folder needs to be created first to import more presets - I don’t own Strng, but have experienced what you describe with other apps. If you’ve already have saved some presets on both devices and they’re still not showing, then maybe it’s a bug?

    Hope you get it sorted, all the best

  • @gdog said:
    Hi,
    Sometimes, if you haven’t saved any presets yet on one device, imported presets won’t show, its like a user folder needs to be created first to import more presets - I don’t own Strng, but have experienced what you describe with other apps. If you’ve already have saved some presets on both devices and they’re still not showing, then maybe it’s a bug?

    Hope you get it sorted, all the best

    Thanks :)

    Damn :/ iOS seems still like a beta in many ways :/ Is this an Apple issue or down to individual devs?

    I already had one user preset in the iPad folder. A preset created on the iPad. But none of the iPhone presets that I imported are showing....

    I’ll mail the STRNG dev...

  • Is there a way to just AirDrop the presets from the phone to the tablet? Seems like that would be easiest and most ideal, and probably fastest, too.

  • @CracklePot said:
    Is there a way to just AirDrop the presets from the phone to the tablet? Seems like that would be easiest and most ideal, and probably fastest, too.

    Yeah that’s definitely what I’ll check out for future transfers.

  • Re “Is this an Apple issue or down to individual devs” - I don’t know. Some apps work perfectly with sharing presets, projects, etc, others don’t. Hwr, a lot of iOS devs are v.good about updating their apps - if you tell them how to reproduce any bugs. Also, fwiw I find iOS much better than desktop due to the portability and touch screen goodness, but that’s just me 😎

    Anyways, let everyone here know how you get on, all the best

  • edited May 12

    @EyeOhEss said:

    @CracklePot said:
    Is there a way to just AirDrop the presets from the phone to the tablet? Seems like that would be easiest and most ideal, and probably fastest, too.

    Yeah that’s definitely what I’ll check out for future transfers.

    It's definitely best way how to get files from one to other device.. it's really easy - just select files you want to transfer, hit "Share" bottom left icon. If you put iPhone with enabled airdrop receiving close to your iPad, few seconds after share window is opened it appears in airsrop devices list - just tap it - it moves files and on iphone it asks you which app should open received

  • edited May 12

    I must admit I hate the IOS file system, it seems to be so counter productive compared to desktop windows.

  • @Telstar5 said:
    @BiancaNeve : So you’re saying all in all Dropbox is a better bet than iCloud?

    No - I’m saying the exact opposite. Family sharing on a 2tb plan is pretty good value now.

  • edited May 12

    i :heart: iOS filesystem and really like Files app... never had even small issue with transfering files from one app to other app, or between devices...

    I really hope Apple will never completely open filesystem for free access - that would be huge security hole... Sandboxing approach is one of main reasons why iOS is so secure compared to Android.

  • edited May 12

    Mega.co.nz (app)
    Works a treat.... choose share-open in!

Sign In or Register to comment.