Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Chordbot vs chordpolypad vs chordplayx

I need an app that let me hear fast chords, for example today i was having the need of hear chords with 7 , -7, maj7, -maj7 to keep in mind how they sound (for ear training test) and i was looking in the app suggester that they don’t suggest me any of this chords and i have to creat by myself and add to the song part to could hear, at this point they ask me to buy the full version (no problem with paid 7.99) but before buy the app i was wondering if this would be the best app to trigger chords and suggest me chords for songwriting.
Then i realize chordplayx an app from the same company that looks like suggester but with pads.
And after that i thought that it looks similar to chordpolypad and chordbot too.
Chordplayx has trial version without need to compromise with buy it.
So the QUESTION WOULD BE, someone could check or someone already know which is the difference chordplayx vs chordbot vs chordpolypad?
If some app meets all the features of the others or each one have something special that makes you need the 3 or 2?
And if suggester and chordplayx are exactly the same with different design. Thank you

Comments

• This doesn’t exactly answer your question but hope it helps some....
    Chordbot is more for composing, you can hear chords but more for song structure. Don’t have ChordPolyPad, but hear it’s good. Navichord is great and has free limited version. Chordion is pretty good too. I like Keynality also, It’s inexpensive (2.99) has keyboard and chord pads, with separate midi out for each and lets you load samples. Keynality jr is free to try but limited. ChordPadX I only have free version and seems ok....

• Navichord is easy to get going with and what I use for how a chord sounds quickly. I sometimes like to use ChordPolyPad to invert or change the chord even further - it's very in depth and you can make any "chord" you want.

• ChordPadPoly is great. It can randomize chords to pads for a specific key with an arbitrary amount of complexity. It can arpeggiate / strum. You can save chord sets and EASILY alter the cords to your taste by adding or deleting note with the keyboard. It’s comprehensive and quick.

Chordbot is your band in a box. Chords with accompaniment.

ChordpadX has a lot of features. Link semi-intelligent layouts single notes and chords arranged in a logical fashion - easy to bang out a melody line and some chords.

If you want to go off the deep end exploring chords inversions augmentations etc look at ChordMaps2

Doug did a video about it. If you have iSymphony hook it up to that! Or a good piano sound. 🙂

• You probably want to Suggester. Chordmaps2 is awesome but definitely more “complicated”

Klimper is also nice

• @audiobussy said:
    You probably want to Suggester. Chordmaps2 is awesome but definitely more “complicated”

Klimper is also nice

You can just bang around with ChordMaps2 it looks and has some complexity but all the basics and then some are right there up front. Most of the ornamentation around the larger center area is to give you extras. But yes it can be over stimulating. 😉

• Doug’s vid

• Simplichords is a newer one.
    It is free, with a unlock Pro IAP.
    It is really simple, but has 54 chord types to choose from.

• edited May 2019

@trrracker you might wanna check out ChordBud and ScaleBud as well :)

http://keybudapp.com/chordbud
    http://keybudapp.com/scalebud

• @audiobussy said:
    You probably want to Suggester. Chordmaps2 is awesome but definitely more “complicated”

Klimper is also nice

Suggester is absolutely awesome for this

• edited May 2019

I’m gonna throw in a vote for Navichord. It’s very simple and it’s one of those apps where every time I have a thing I want to do with chords specifically, I’m like “oh yeah Navichord does that, cool”. The only thing I wish it had was an arpeggiator

• If you look at the interfaces of both suggester and klimper, it will be obvious that they are a good fit for what you are trying to do…

• Well thank you all for so many recommended apps and answers. I will be checking all of them right now.

• Quantichord is the AU version of Chordpolypad. It’s fast too.

I didn’t like Chordpadx or Suggester personally.

ChordMaps works better as a learning tool than a compositional tool but certainly worth its price tag.

Chordbot is another educational tool and one of the few musical tools I keep on my phone. Great for figuring out progression ideas and ear training.

• @Poppadocrock thanks for mentions these apps i downloaded all less chordion cause doesn’t have free version and watch a video but didn’t convence me, well the things is that i was comparing chordpadX and keynaility. Neither works for me in free version, i was thinking in chordpadx cause i can try the full version for limited time, and has a suggested pallete of chords. But i like that keynality has the window key finder, dorian, phrygian, lydian, mixolydian, aeolian and locrian mode cause this is the topic that i started to see the last week in my institute (i have anothers apps but i didn’t see that has something about that at least in an explicit way that i noted, probably another apps has that but don’t specificate the name of the modes). Do you know if buying the pro version of keynality i could choose another sound? Cause i like more how chordpadx sound, thats and the suggested chord pallete is the only two things that i find better in this app than keynality.

• @mjcouche i just finish to try navichord and its a great app i like more than the others 2 that i mentioned in the last comment (although) it is not really focus on set up chord pads. But its a good way to understand chords and scales. Just one question if i paid the full version, i could export midi file? Because i would like to export to notion for example cause i need to give my works by write not just the audio, so would be usefull could export and don’t have to write all the work once i finished. I set up an alarm in appsliced because this app used to be in sale sometimes. @Poppadocrock i attach you to this commentary cause you tell me that you have the app too. I’m not sure if mjcouche has the full version. Thanks both. Tomorrow i will continue exploring the others apps.

• @audiblevideo said:
    ChordPadPoly is great. It can randomize chords to pads for a specific key with an arbitrary amount of complexity. It can arpeggiate / strum. You can save chord sets and EASILY alter the cords to your taste by adding or deleting note with the keyboard. It’s comprehensive and quick.

Chordbot is your band in a box. Chords with accompaniment.

ChordpadX has a lot of features. Link semi-intelligent layouts single notes and chords arranged in a logical fashion - easy to bang out a melody line and some chords.

If you want to go off the deep end exploring chords inversions augmentations etc look at ChordMaps2

Doug did a video about it. If you have iSymphony hook it up to that! Or a good piano sound. 🙂

Hi, chordbot i have to discard because in a first place i was needing hear the chords cleans and the only way that i could fne was deleting almost all setup and use hte sound if piano, hammered 1 and it was a little weird like the bass notes during more then the others and i don’t know it doesn’t think the best option try to memorize how a chord sound with these specific preset that was the only clean piano that i could find

Chordpadx has less features at the time of compose but i enjoy the sounds so much in compare with the last one.

Now i’m looking for videos of chordmaps2 and chordpadplay. My first impression about them is that chordmaps2 is better for learn music but although that chordpadplay is so much customizable.

Why you said if i have isymphony chordmaps2 would be better? The app let me use the sound of anothers apps? I have korg module...

• @trrracker

Why you said if i have isymphony chordmaps2 would be better? The app let me use the sound of anothers apps? I have korg module...

Orchestras are composed of many differing instruments which all have their own range and timbre. For instance bassoons are deep (low) and sonorous and a tinge nasal. Piccolos are high and clear.

The reason I was talking about playing ChordMaps2 with iSymphony because one of the ways ChordMaps2 articulates chords is in a widely distributed range of notes. You could use ANY app with ChordMaps2 via MIDI, as you can with the others - as long as they have MIDI OUT. I recommended iSymphony because you can hear the optimal ranges and distinct timbres of each instrument. It sounds like an orchestra playing when you play a chord.

To reiterate, you can use ChordPadX, ChordPadPoly, ChordMaps2, NaviChord and many more with any other sound sources via MIDI out, including Korg module.

• tjatja
    edited May 2019

Beside the recommendations above, also have a look at this, it has tremendous support from the developer:

Ultimate Circle Of Fifths by Christian Hengst

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ultimate-circle-of-fifths/id1242467844?l=en&mt=8

• @tja said:
    Beside the recommendations above, also have a look at this, it has tremendous support from the developer:

Ultimate Circle Of Fifths by Christian Hengst

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ultimate-circle-of-fifths/id1242467844?l=en&mt=8

That’s awesome...thanks!

• @trrracker Keynality allows you to use an oscillator, dirty synth, or sampler for your sound. You can import your own sounds in the sampler function, see pics below. You can also use it to play other synths via Audiobus or AUM. Keynality isn’t my favorite of the lot, (Probably Navichord) but it’s cheap, often over looked, and good to quickly hear Chords together for creating a Progression. I use all these chord apps, sometimes for different reasons, sometimes to just mix it up.

Keynality Sampler Pics...

Ultimate Circle of Fifths is good too, always being updated. It’s hard to pick just one, but if I had to Navichord.

• @trrracker The Pictures didn’t come out in the right order. Should be Pic 2, Pic 1, then Pic 3. In Pic 2 you can choose sound source, Oscillator, Dirty Synth, Sampler. Click on the Gears next to sampler. Pic 1 is the available sampler sounds, Pic 3 shows how you can import new sounds from wherever.

I usually use Keynality to trigger other synths, or to quickly hear chords together to see what works.

I use Navichord the most.

• All in all though.... Keynality is just ok, I got on sale for $.99 so...

I use Chordbot, Navichord, and Ultimate Circle of Fifths the most. Get one of those.

• @Poppadocrock i can’t find how to use module korg sounds as a instrument in chordbot... could you send me some pictures?
    In navichrod i didn’t find either but i supoouse that its in the “midi” part that is blocked in lite version.
    I already have circle of fifths. Probably will buy navichord when it go on sale again.
    I think that in this week i will buy Chordpolypad or chordmaps2
    @LucidMusicInc you mention that quantichord is the au version of chordpolypad, are you sure that they have he same features? Because they looks different and the creator launch a au version of step polypad for example and they put the same name and clarify that the step polypad would be replaced for step polypad unit. So maybe is not so similar chordpolypad with quantichord, i don’t know but just asking haha.
    @CracklePot thank you for mention simplichords that works too for the little things that i was looking the other day

• Quantichord is clearly not the AU version of ChordPolyPlay.

• edited May 2019

@tja everyone is entitled to their opinion >:)

@trrracker good points, I’m just advising OP that if they want an AU chord app the Quantichord app is good option as it was developed by the same creator of ChordPolyPad.

• @trrracker Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t believe you can do that inside Chordbot. When I use CB I always build up a couple sections, add a couple instruments, and export the midi to Korg Gadget or Cubasis to continue working on it.

• @trrracker Yea wait for Navichord sale. You can get it for $3.99, $4.99 several times a year. Yes you do need the full version to use the midi out settings. I like to find chord relations on the one page, then add those chords to the sequencer page, and sequence those chords while I work on other parts of the song. You can use it in standalone version sending midi to an app that has midi in, but I typically put it in Audiobus 3 midi input to trigger something else in the midi out.