Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

whoa! out NOW! Sugar Bytes Factory - Modular Synthesizer for iOS

Comments

• @oceansinspace said:
    Ha, this is kinda funny. I also don't know if I am sharing all my crack based sounds with goofy names? The manual says that you should try and name the patches proper and descriptive, oops.

I think it’s just a tag cloud, and not sharing your patches to the cloud....unless I’m wrong.

• A bit annoying that it also (like Aparillo) seems to be a "straight" port of the PC version and thus has a low resolution. I hope that they someday fix that.

• Yeah. My (hopeful) thought is that eventually they will all be upgraded together. So they will eventually upgrade all their desktop Ui’s as VST 3 allows UI scaling I think, so when the desktop versions are upgraded to be scalable then the iOS versions will get the similar treatment. I could be wrong, but makes sense as it’s cross platform.

• @espiegel123 said:

What iTunes version are you using that allows the ipa files to be backed up and restored? I thought that capability was removed years ago.

You can see/set the location of the iTunes library in the preferences menu.

• @iamspoon said:

@espiegel123 said:

What iTunes version are you using that allows the ipa files to be backed up and restored? I thought that capability was removed years ago.

You can see/set the location of the iTunes library in the preferences menu.

Windows! On Macs, that feature was (sadly) removed unless there is a stealth way of getting there that I have't found.

Does that mean that one can actually restore iOS apps on Windows machines directly? That would be awesome. As on Mac, the restores don't restore your apps from your backup -- they download from the store :(

• I hope I'm not sharing all my 'crack smoker tags' and dumb jokes alike, but hey if you see em in the cloud sorry haha! Most of my saves are hyperspace sound scape or sfx so far. Love it though, and saving is still odd. I made my own folder and stuff but I can't just hit save its confusing.

• @espiegel123 yes olde Windows 7, sorry :'(

To avoid filling this thread up with OT iTunes Discussion I will write this here.
    Are you certain there’s not an equivalent older version of iTunes you could install on your Mac that still works like this?
    Failing that you could use a junky PC to backup your device and access the .ipa that way :smiley:

• @iamspoon said:
    @espiegel123 yes olde Windows 7, sorry :'(

To avoid filling this thread up with OT iTunes Discussion I will write this here.
    Are you certain there’s not an equivalent older version of iTunes you could install on your Mac that still works like this?
    Failing that you could use a junky PC to backup your device and access the .ipa that way :smiley:

Now I have to check if my ancient Mac running snow leopard can do this. I am not sure if that version of iTunes can back up recent iDevices. That would be handy.

• @Zaubrer said:
    A bit annoying that it also (like Aparillo) seems to be a "straight" port of the PC version and thus has a low resolution. I hope that they someday fix that.

The Sugar Bytes UIs seem to be a bit Marmite. I actually really like them. They’re different and I don’t have an issue with the low res look; it’s like it is their look. So much so, I believe the low res appearance is intentional and not something that will be “fixed”.

• When are you people gonna send me all your patches 🤣🤣🤣 this thing is to smart for me to design on but I love what it sounds like

• @Beathoven said:

@Zaubrer said:
    A bit annoying that it also (like Aparillo) seems to be a "straight" port of the PC version and thus has a low resolution. I hope that they someday fix that.

The Sugar Bytes UIs seem to be a bit Marmite. I actually really like them. They’re different and I don’t have an issue with the low res look; it’s like it is their look. So much so, I believe the low res appearance is intentional and not something that will be “fixed”.

It's definitely not intentional. The resolution of most iPads is 2048x1536 which is quite a bit higher than the most common desktop (or laptop) display resolution of 1920x1080. Adding to the fact that there are many plugins on desktop which are not designed for full screen or sizable windows, it just makes sense that a "straight" port from a PC version is blurry on iPads with higher resolution.

Good for devs who designed their UI with vector graphics or similar technologies and can easily adapt to any screen size (eg Bram Bos who's apps are tiny in download size thanks to that).

• This stupid app just cost me $700...

With all the new tape loop and creative delay apps, this synth, Aparillo, I needed to update my Air 2... Pulled trigger on new iPad Air 3... I really hope the new HP allows me to run lower latency or significantly more fx...

• @Zaubrer said:

@Beathoven said:

@Zaubrer said:

It's definitely not intentional. The resolution of most iPads is 2048x1536 which is quite a bit higher than the most common desktop (or laptop) display resolution of 1920x1080. Adding to the fact that there are many plugins on desktop which are not designed for full screen or sizable windows, it just makes sense that a "straight" port from a PC version is blurry on iPads with higher resolution.

Good for devs who designed their UI with vector graphics or similar technologies and can easily adapt to any screen size (eg Bram Bos who's apps are tiny in download size thanks to that).

Well, Factory arriving on the iPad has allowed me to delete Synthmaster One. They kind of fulfill the same role but SM1’s UI is appalling.

• Killer synth. Anyone know how to delete presets you’ve made

• @Beathoven said:

@Zaubrer said:

@Beathoven said:

@Zaubrer said:

Well, Factory arriving on the iPad has allowed me to delete Synthmaster One. They kind of fulfill the same role but SM1’s UI is appalling.

Everybody's got toast :)

• Finally caught up to this one over the weekend. Yowza. Endless playground!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Beathoven said:

@Zaubrer said:

@Beathoven said:

@Zaubrer said:

Everybody's got toast :)

But, some toast is served with caviar. :)

• Is env 1 for the signal and env 2 the envelope filter ?

• Although I was initially very impressed with this synth, atm, I’m having trouble getting along with the UI. I come from a pc background, and in iOS, the UI of apps are usually of a very creative nature, which is really cool, but I’m so used to dials and sliders, I’m not totally feeling it atm. I’m spending a lot of time tweaking sounds, and very little time actually laying down sounds that are usable. Some of the UI’s have very small elements, that for me, it’s difficult to dial in, because I keep hitting the wrong things.

• edited May 2019

@Ripper7620 said:
    Although I was initially very impressed with this synth, atm, I’m having trouble getting along with the UI. I come from a pc background, and in iOS, the UI of apps are usually of a very creative nature, which is really cool, but I’m so used to dials and sliders, I’m not totally feeling it atm. I’m spending a lot of time tweaking sounds, and very little time actually laying down sounds that are usable. Some of the UI’s have very small elements, that for me, it’s difficult to dial in, because I keep hitting the wrong things.

Wow - I feel completely the opposite. I've been having a blast with this synth, and I'm finding a ton of very useable sounds even with my ham-fisted tweaking. Sorry to hear that you're not getting on with it...

• Anyone know if what update kills the ability to play sounds thru the paywall ? Haven’t had a chance to buy the IAP.

• @reasOne : you can assign what envelope 1 and 2 to whatever you want to control in the modulation matrix. They don't have fixed assignments. You could use envelope 1 for the filter and envelope 2 for amplitude -- for either one for both. Or use them for other purposes entirely.

• There is one fixed assignment; Env 1 is wired to the volume fader. You can still map it to other destinations as well.

• edited May 2019

@bleep said:
    There is one fixed assignment; Env 1 is wired to the volume fader. You can still map it to other destinations as well.

That can be changed so you can assign other sources to the master fader

• @Daveypoo said:

@Ripper7620 said:
    Although I was initially very impressed with this synth, atm, I’m having trouble getting along with the UI. I come from a pc background, and in iOS, the UI of apps are usually of a very creative nature, which is really cool, but I’m so used to dials and sliders, I’m not totally feeling it atm. I’m spending a lot of time tweaking sounds, and very little time actually laying down sounds that are usable. Some of the UI’s have very small elements, that for me, it’s difficult to dial in, because I keep hitting the wrong things.

Wow - I feel completely the opposite. I've been having a blast with this synth, and I'm finding a ton of very useable sounds even with my ham-fisted tweaking. Sorry to hear that you're not getting on with it...

Thank you for your reply, the main issue is at my age, it’s harder to learn new ways of doing things, then when I was younger, and I just need to buckle down and learn how to use iOS UI’s. Giving up isn’t an option.

• I think it’s great.

Especially for ‘cinematic’ sounds and rich, complex textures etc.

The effects make a lots of random/glitchy stuff sound very nice.

The patch save functionality seems a bit dicky though. Takes a few attempts to get it to save normally.

Not tried it as an AU yet. I think I’ll mostly be recording loops into Gadget, and maybe sampling some bits and pieces to make instruments in NS2’s Obsidian.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @reasOne : you can assign what envelope 1 and 2 to whatever you want to control in the modulation matrix. They don't have fixed assignments. You could use envelope 1 for the filter and envelope 2 for amplitude -- for either one for both. Or use them for other purposes entirely.

Sweet!!!! So by default on the init patch they shouldn't control anything until plugged into the matrix ?

• edited May 2019

My top tip for learning this synth is to try deconstructing some of the preset patches.

My current favourite way to do this is move the morph slider to B, hit the B-mode record button then completely clear all the mod-matrix settings so that you can see how the patch was routed before any matrix modulations were applied.

Once you've understood the underlying sound you can gradually move the morph slider back towards A to hear the effect of the matrix settings as they are gently re-introduced into the patch.

• @tk32 said:
    My top tip for learning this synth is to try deconstructing some of the preset patches.

My current favourite way to do this is move the morph slider to B, hit the B-mode record button then completely clear all the mod-matrix settings so that you can see how the patch was routed before any matrix modulations were applied.

Once you've understood the underlying sound you can gradually move the morph slider back towards A to hear the effect of the matrix settings as they are gently re-introduced into the patch.

And I just learned what the record button doeshaha good idea

• @Ripper7620 said:

Having an Apple Pencil has sure helped me deal with small dials. Not sure if that’s an option for you, but if it is, give it a try.