Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

whoa! out NOW! Sugar Bytes Factory - Modular Synthesizer for iOS

Comments

• I agree with Mr. Monzo, I feel like a kid in a candy store with all the tweakage possibilities going on in the matrix and I also feel like a happy mad scientist. I am hearing things that I have never heard before on iOS synths so its super fun being the brave new world explorer! Also, I agree with DaveyPoo, Aparillo is a fun synth so says this appaholic. Factory seems way deeper and more complex for sonic sculpting possibilities. If you can afford both apps by all means of course get both of them and all the rest of all the superb Sugarbytes family of iOS apps. If you are on a budget and you need to decide which one is more fun and most value for the buck I too would say pick up Factory cuz it’s juicy and insanely, satisfyingly good. Factory is a true tweakers paradise. Factory is a ... Monstah! Enjoy!

• @Daveypoo said:
    @skiphunt I feel like Factory can make all the noise that Aparillo makes but it can also make more consistently musical sounds as well. I love the cinematic HUGENESS of Aparillo, and that can easily be achieved here, but you can also make this sound like a regular 'ol synth, so the range of usefulness here is just MASSIVE.

Short answer: knowing what I know now, I'd choose Factory over Aparillo.

Yeah, I think this is basically the conclusion I've come to. And, it's not like we thankfully get most of these apps for free to play with anyway.

I enjoy them both, but the interface of Factory makes more sense to me. More of a personal choice though. It does sound like it's capable of the same big sweeping "cinematic" sounds and drones that you can get with Aparillo, but you can also do other stuff too.

I'd bet someone skilled with sound design could make them both sing equally well, but the tools in Factory appear to offer more variety to my novice eye.

Thanks to you and everyone else for the helpful feedback. :)

• => @skiphunt said:

@Daveypoo said:
    @skiphunt I feel like Factory can make all the noise that Aparillo makes but it can also make more consistently musical sounds as well. I love the cinematic HUGENESS of Aparillo, and that can easily be achieved here, but you can also make this sound like a regular 'ol synth, so the range of usefulness here is just MASSIVE.

Short answer: knowing what I know now, I'd choose Factory over Aparillo.

Yeah, I think this is basically the conclusion I've come to. And, it's not like we thankfully get most of these apps for free to play with anyway.

I enjoy them both, but the interface of Factory makes more sense to me. More of a personal choice though. It does sound like it's capable of the same big sweeping "cinematic" sounds and drones that you can get with Aparillo, but you can also do other stuff too.

I'd bet someone skilled with sound design could make them both sing equally well, but the tools in Factory appear to offer more variety to my novice eye.

Thanks to you and everyone else for the helpful feedback. :)

+1 @Skiphunt!

• What I haven't seen mentioned are the randomisers and modulators round the edge of the matrix. The dice and tweak controls let you create some really bonkers sounds in short order. I had to buy the IAP to save some of the extraordinary noises that were coming out of this thing. Very, very playable too.

• @Jocphone said:
    What I haven't seen mentioned are the randomisers and modulators round the edge of the matrix. The dice and tweak controls let you create some really bonkers sounds in short order. I had to buy the IAP to save some of the extraordinary noises that were coming out of this thing. Very, very playable too.

Yeah the matrix ‘dice’, and setting the matrix ‘tweak’ knob to ‘mutate’ can send things bonkers too. Lots of sound sculpting tools in this one.

I learned a lot from the Sugarbytes video tutorials, which are really good.

• I prefer this to Aparillo so far. Loved the sounds, never really liked the orbital screen. My only complaint is I'd like to hear some more traditional presets that are more pretty-sounding.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    S'funny, there are some apps that are almost too good for me. I play with them for a little while and get out of my depth, put it down with an-out-loud-to-myself OK that's just ridiculous....

That’s a bit of a Sugarbytes synth ‘thing’ for me - half of the fun is in exploring the app and mucking about with it. I’ve hardly ever used Cyclop in a track, but had weeks of fun messing with it. Aparillo has ticked both boxes - fun to tweak, and usable.

I spent a couple of hours last night messing with the Factory demo, now it’s time to record some usable noises. I think this is a double box ticker too.

I have no doubt. I think it's really, really good. To the point I get a bit in awe and have to have a lie down Nurse :) Good luck with your Friday night efforts, I'm still enjoying your Freak Helix from the other day...

• @oat_phipps said:
    I prefer this to Aparillo so far. Loved the sounds, never really liked the orbital screen

^ This, I like how Aparillo can take me to weird places, but it all seems to happen inside a blackbox, and I kinda like to understand what's going on. With Factory's randomizers you also get weird (though usable) stuff, but I can grasp why things sound a certain way much more easily.

• Yup!

I put Aparillo and Synthscaper in the same category - they both are amazing and look beautiful, and I have NO IDEA how to make them work, and no desire to learn. I like pressing a single key and hearing sounds of the apocalypse.

With Factory I definitely can grasp the workflow a lot more easily and already started crafting my own sounds. This is the first Sugar Bytes synth where I've felt inclined to even try, so it's a win for me.

• edited May 2019

@Daveypoo said:
    Yup!

I put Aparillo and Synthscaper in the same category - they both are amazing and look beautiful, and I have NO IDEA how to make them work, and no desire to learn. I like pressing a single key and hearing sounds of the apocalypse.

With Factory I definitely can grasp the workflow a lot more easily and already started crafting my own sounds. This is the first Sugar Bytes synth where I've felt inclined to even try, so it's a win for me.

It’s really worth getting under the hood with Aparillo. I started out clueless but decided to graft until I’d got my head round it and this has made a real difference to getting useful musical sounds out of it. Watching Tom Cosm’s videos was indispensable in getting to a point where I felt I had an idea of what was going on and could start getting the results I wanted.

It’s possible to make really interesting sequenced/arp/percussive type sounds with a bit of tweaking. Also makes amazing pad sounds with a bit of texture and rhythm in the background.

Factory has better effects but Aparillo’s Spectraliser is a beast which gives some amazing results once tamed a bit.

• edited May 2019

@jipumarino said:

@oat_phipps said:
    I prefer this to Aparillo so far. Loved the sounds, never really liked the orbital screen

^ This, I like how Aparillo can take me to weird places, but it all seems to happen inside a blackbox, and I kinda like to understand what's going on. With Factory's randomizers you also get weird (though usable) stuff, but I can grasp why things sound a certain way much more easily.

I feel like to actually use Aparillo's orbiter to create what you want and not just make fun chaos it would take painstaking tweaking to get it just right. I don't have infinite patience for programming a synth, since I never truly know if I'll use a patch or not. I've swung firmly back into the 50/50 camp on programming vs. presets now that I've gotten my rebellious synth teens out of the way.

• edited May 2019

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    S'funny, there are some apps that are almost too good for me. I play with them for a little while and get out of my depth, put it down with an-out-loud-to-myself OK that's just ridiculous....

That’s a bit of a Sugarbytes synth ‘thing’ for me - half of the fun is in exploring the app and mucking about with it. I’ve hardly ever used Cyclop in a track, but had weeks of fun messing with it. Aparillo has ticked both boxes - fun to tweak, and usable.

I spent a couple of hours last night messing with the Factory demo, now it’s time to record some usable noises. I think this is a double box ticker too.

I have no doubt. I think it's really, really good. To the point I get a bit in awe and have to have a lie down Nurse :) Good luck with your Friday night efforts, I'm still enjoying your Freak Helix from the other day...

Cheers Boss, that was 95% Komplete £16 deal from last week :)

Not so productive tonight, the good stuff I was coming out with last night and this morning, seem to be eluding me tonight, but still fun.

I’m after loop/sample fodder for my new Live purchase. Previously I’d record jams in AUM, and merge them in a random way via Soundforge. The new thinking is to structure sections in Live instead, and jam out a composition via its sessions section. The Komplete gear would be good for this sort of thing too.

You can get some really nice sequences going in Factory, and mangle them via the matrix, so I should get some decent loops from him.

• edited May 2019

@MonzoPro said:
    I think this has quick rudely shoved aside Aparillo for my number one synth slot.

Ridiculously good.

Ya factory now sits on the left hand side of Aparillo on my home screen.
    I honestly hate Aparillo icon, so I hide it on the iPad's second page lol, might be petty but that red circle and white background is just hideous

• edited May 2019

@MonzoPro said:

I’m after loop/sample fodder for my new Live purchase. Previously I’d record jams in AUM, and merge them in a random way via Soundforge. The new thinking is to structure sections in Live instead, and jam out a composition via its sessions section. The Komplete gear would be good for this sort of thing too.

Since you're on desktop, take the dive with Reaktor 6. You don't need anything else, other than sound processing tools, which live has. And the iPad makes a great controller for it!

• @ElectroHead said:

@MonzoPro said:

Since you're on desktop, take the dive with Reaktor 6. You don't need anything else, other than sound processing tools, which live has. And the iPad makes a great controller for it!

Thanks for the vid :) Yeah I have Reaktor 5, and have used Cloudlab quite a lot in the past. Do you know what app he’s controlling it with?

• Spent my food money on the full version, a man’s gotta have his priorities straight. Not disappointed!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @EyeOhEss said:
    Using the sequencers as modulation sources (and with their dice too!) is really fun on this. Gonna have to buy full at some point...keep making stuff I wanna keep!

That's why I bought it after having to throw away several fantastic patches. What really grabs me though, is the playability of the synth as well.

• @EyeOhEss said:
    Using the sequencers as modulation sources (and with their dice too!) is really fun on this. Gonna have to buy full at some point...keep making stuff I wanna keep!

The IAP means you can record with it too - no way otherwise apart from an audio lead out.

@Jocphone said:

@EyeOhEss said:

That's why I bought it after having to throw away several fantastic patches. What really grabs me though, is the playability of the synth as well.

Yeah, ticks a lot of boxes this one - and as a bonus it's not too heavy on the CPU.

• edited May 2019

I think you could probably spend years on this synth and not run out of possibilities. Really liking the different oscillator types.

• Thanks for the vid :) Yeah I have Reaktor 5, and have used Cloudlab quite a lot in the past. Do you know what app he’s controlling it with?

he's controlling it with Lemur, I think there's a link to the patch on Youtube if I remember correctly.

• @MonzoPro said:

@ElectroHead said:

@MonzoPro said:

Thanks for the vid :) Yeah I have Reaktor 5, and have used Cloudlab quite a lot in the past. Do you know what app he’s controlling it with?

Sorry, I dunno.

• Apart from the dice choices in the sequencer, am I missing other random options goodness?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Apart from the dice choices in the sequencer, am I missing other random options goodness?

Mod matrix too

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Apart from the dice choices in the sequencer, am I missing other random options goodness?

I reckon devs could make a fortune releasing complex synths for free, but with a charge for each hit of the randomize button.

• @barabajagal said:

he's controlling it with Lemur, I think there's a link to the patch on Youtube if I remember correctly.

Ah ok, cheers.

• This is a great synth. The matrix is exactly how I hoped we can control apematrix matrices one day, each pin has it's own control point and a randomizer + tweaker, so hopefully Alessandro can get some inspiration from it. :)

• edited May 2019

@reasOne said:

@animal said:
    Just to let you know: had a few crashes inside AUM, when trying to save a preset in Factory, under my (then new) username. The solution is, to start Factory standalone, save the preset there (under new username)! and all is well. You might also have to re-instate the AuV3 of Factory, that‘s what I did...Great synth!

I'm getting crashes while saving as well, kinda sucks when you gotta really nice patch going... Can be hard to duplicate again in the standalone to save, but at least that works

Is there any more information out there about these "crashes when saving patches as AUv3"?

Reading the above is the only thing stopping me pulling the trigger on this incredible synth.

• This is very coooooooool. I just might buy this today. Having plenty of fun with the default preset and headphones. Nice drone bro.

• I spotted a few bugs, but nothing to stop me enjoying this :)