Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OCTACHRON MIDI Drum Sequencer AUv3 by Markus Teufel

Comments

• @badbeat said:

@ruggedsmooth said:
    What are the best/ your favorite compatible drum apps to use with this besides Ruismaker?

I’m really loving this sequencer but need some more drum options

808 clone MV08! I have all the CC modulations mapped for AUM if anyone wants it?

Yes, please! :)

• @inakarmacoma said:
    Are there exceptional Octachron features for those of us who use Atom?

Trigger Condition FTW!!!
    You can basically (for instance Ruismaker) modulate every para.
    But Trigger condition... so frigging cool. Coming from Elektron workflow!

• @inakarmacoma said:
    Are there exceptional Octachron features for those of us who use Atom?

I think this is Atom for drums, and Atom is for synths. I like both and both need some slight improvements to reach 💯

• @badbeat said:

@ruggedsmooth said:
    What are the best/ your favorite compatible drum apps to use with this besides Ruismaker?

808 clone MV08! I have all the CC modulations mapped for AUM if anyone wants it?

Yes share it here please. 🤘

• Anyone has informations about BeatMaker 3 compatibility?

• @Hkor said:

@badbeat said:

@ruggedsmooth said:

@nondes & @Hkor download the AUM file here https://www.dropbox.com/s/7fnpop8i48reyjm/MV08 Octachron CC.aumproj?dl=0

Almost all of Channel 1 CC’s in AUM is used up with mods for two Octachron instances, one for main MV08 Drum kit and the other for MV08 Percussions. Load each through the AUM presets in two separate Octachrons and make sure they ar both routed to MV08 and you’ll have all MV08 sounds mapped with CC modulation for all parameters.

😊

• @badbeat Bravo! Great share, thank you!!! I asked for something similar months ago and really nobody came up with an adequate solution. Yours is totally bad ass

• @nondes said:

@badbeat said:

@ruggedsmooth said:

Yes, please! :)

@badbeat said:

@Hkor said:

@badbeat said:

@ruggedsmooth said:

@nondes & @Hkor download the AUM file here https://www.dropbox.com/s/7fnpop8i48reyjm/MV08 Octachron CC.aumproj?dl=0

Almost all of Channel 1 CC’s in AUM is used up with mods for two Octachron instances, one for main MV08 Drum kit and the other for MV08 Percussions. Load each through the AUM presets in two separate Octachrons and make sure they ar both routed to MV08 and you’ll have all MV08 sounds mapped with CC modulation for all parameters.

😊

Thanx you man.
    Have a good day 👌🤘

• @ALB said:

@ocelot said:
    Great drum sequencer! Nice to finally see an AU drum sequencer with something similar to Jomox or Elektron parameter locks. It really livens up the Ruismakers by automating Pitch, Pan, Probability, etc.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet: When recalling a saved session in AUM, Audiobus, or apeMatrix, steps with less than 100% Probability are greyed out and those steps don't play.

Here, steps 2 and 11 for the Kick were set to less than 100% Probability, but now they don't play unless I re-do the Probability. This is the case with all tracks where Probability was previously set to below 100%.

Looking forward to the bug fixes and additional features.

Having the same problem here.

Has this been addressed in the recent update?

• Here’s a quick question to the users: how does Octachron display 32 steps? In two pages of 16 steps each or as one page with 32 steps?

• @dermichl said:
    Here’s a quick question to the users: how does Octachron display 32 steps? In two pages of 16 steps each or as one page with 32 steps?

It shows all the steps (from 1-32).
    When increasing the number of steps, all the other patterns get increased too, so if you have another pattern with 16 steps, it'll add 16 blank steps. I don't see a way to quickly duplicate the 1st 16 steps. Or to have each pattern have its own unique number of steps. If anyone knows a workaround, please let us know.

And the state-saving Probability issue has been fixed.

There's still a few things that could be improved. I like it a lot though, there are few choices on iOS for these types of AU drum sequencers.

• edited June 2019

@ocelot : thanx for answering. Sounds good to me.
    @reinerspass : any chance to finetune these points mentioned above?

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    Darn, it appears he added midi control, but it’s not exposed as AU Parm but fixed midi? Whhhhyyyyyyyyy??????????

Will come in a future update, was so much easier to only support MIDI for now, thought I just throw it into the fix :)

@badbeat said:
    I've got a couple of small requests for the next release, please. More CC controls. Ability to trigger the sequences via midi plus CC control of start/stop, independent of the host transport like on the Atom piano roll AU.

More CC controls will come in a later update, but something similar to Atoms start/stop will be in the next update! :)

@Hkor said:
    @reinerspass can you implement in a future update 2 essential functions for me from @brambos Rozeta XoX:
    1: exactly emulates the analog timing jitter of the original 808

Hmm, do you have a nice paper at hand which describes how to implement such thing? Sounds interesting, but wont promise anything

2: mutation settings per instrument

Have that on my list already :)

I like apply an LFO to the mutation setting in AUM or with my Octatrack instant controlled random groove I use a lot MV08 so for me analog timing jitter of original 808 is crucial for me.

Also on the list

🙌 And please can we have more tracks, OR for me the best alternative is to implement a selector button on all track to switch to an another note.
    Like on the TR-808 switching from low conga to low Tom, Claves to rimshot ... THIS selector switch mapped to my midi controller... huuum 🤤

Thats actually an interesting alternative to adding more rows, im actually a little reluctant to add more rows because it adds so much complexity to the

@Jeezs said:
    Anyone has informations about BeatMaker 3 compatibility?

People reported crashes when loading it in BM3 but was not able to reproduce it yet. So should work fine :) But if you know anything, would be happy to know more about it!

@dermichl said:

Yup was fixed in version 1.0.1 :+1:

@all
    Thanks a lot for your continuous input, feedback on bugs and feature request, Im really grateful for all that! <3

Cheers
    Markus

• @dermichl said:

@ALB said:

@ocelot said:
    Great drum sequencer! Nice to finally see an AU drum sequencer with something similar to Jomox or Elektron parameter locks. It really livens up the Ruismakers by automating Pitch, Pan, Probability, etc.

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet: When recalling a saved session in AUM, Audiobus, or apeMatrix, steps with less than 100% Probability are greyed out and those steps don't play.

Here, steps 2 and 11 for the Kick were set to less than 100% Probability, but now they don't play unless I re-do the Probability. This is the case with all tracks where Probability was previously set to below 100%.

Looking forward to the bug fixes and additional features.

Having the same problem here.

Yep - I believe so...

• I find it best to increase to 32 steps first.
    It goes up in steps really slowly, have had it crash if I rush the step increase etc
    Not the end of the world
    iPad mini 2 iOS 12
    So could just be my old hardware
    Anyway ----- still love this !!!!!

• Possibly a dumb question but how am i supposed to sequence stand alone apps? Octachron keeps telling me „no midi destination found“. Tried it with different apps on my Air2 at 11.4.1.

• @dermichl said:
    Possibly a dumb question but how am i supposed to sequence stand alone apps? Octachron keeps telling me „no midi destination found“. Tried it with different apps on my Air2 at 11.4.1.

If you're using the Octachron Audio unit, you can use the host to connect to the standalone apps midi, but depends on the method, core midi or IAA etc

If you're using standalone Octachron, it depends on the app you're trying to connect to whether they advertise a midi port or not. Some do, some don't :)

• @reinerspass can you implement in a future update 2 essential functions for me from @brambos Rozeta XoX:
    1: exactly emulates the analog timing jitter of the original 808

Hmm, do you have a nice paper at hand which describes how to implement such thing? Sounds interesting, but won't promise anything

According to some:

The 808 doesn’t have swing but it has some behaviour that causes subtle variation in the sound. For example triggering the kick drum repeatedly doesn’t make the exact same sound every time because of the way the envelope retriggers.

The most notable one is that sounds that are programmed on the same step do not actually trigger at exactly the same moment. They trigger one after another - very rapidly after each other, but not simultaneously. This can cause certain sounds to drift on and off the beat very slightly.

The TR-8 emulates both of these things and more (if you record the midi output into a DAW you can see the timing shift - though there’s a hidden setting in the TR-8 to turn that behaviour off), and I’m sure the TR-08 does the same.

There's more here:

https://www.elektronauts.com/t/simulating-the-808-909-mpc-groove/46824/53

• I had two instances loaded in combination with Ruismaker FM. When i increase the pattern length to 32 steps and manually want to add some notes, both instances of Octachron crash in AUM. Really like the idea of being able to automate other parameters and the step repeats. Hopefully an update will solve the above problem. Would love to see some sort of combination, Rozetta XOX with functionality like Octachron or the other way around (best of both).

• There's a lot of mythology surrounding both the TR-808 and TR-909. Having owned both I can say I few things with regard to their timing. But the most important fact to delineate at the outset is that only the 909 had MIDI natively

• They operated at a lowly 24 pulses per quarter note (the timing convention of Rolands Din Sync24 protocol); full details here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_sync
    • The vast majority of music released using original 808 and 909 hardware relied on hardware with MIDI (via a retrofit in the case of the 808) and much of what some believe to be 808/909 groove came from the sequencer, both analogue and digital hardware sequencers pre 1989, followed by he Atari ST being the most popular computing choice (with Cubase) in the early years of house and techno). Early electro-funk was more likely to rely in the built in sequencing of the 808, as was the case with Afrika Bambaataa's 'Planet Rock' (1982) - https://www.soundonsound.com/people/afrika-bambaataa-soulsonic-force-planet-rock. I'm ignoring non dance genres for the sake of brevity, but also because the 808 and 909 are mainly weapons of choice for producers of the myriad of sub genres that exist under the dance music banner.

I don't think there's anything wrong with emulating the timing jitter of the 808 but I don't believe it to be the source of a magical groove 'mojo' either. Linn Drum/MPC/DMX/SPC style swing is far more important, and that's simply a matter of adding delay to the even note positions of a 16th grid (and is something we already have in Octachron). 8th grid swing is far less useful for contemporary music styles as it sounds closer to big band era swing.

The Roland drum machines that were at the pinnacle of step editing prowess were the R8 and subsequent R70. These offered macro and micro-timing control where each individual grid/hit could both push ahead of the beat or swing/delay. This facilitates a more human ability to swing and push within the same pattern. It's also a vital requirement for things like clap sounds, which feature a built-in echo of hits (for them to feel on the beat the hit is often programmed ahead of the beat). The R70 has the more nuanced step editing UX but the R8 is still loved by many because of it's 10 individual audio outputs (irrelevant in this context). Considering they're both digital sample based machines they command far higher second hand prices than their Yamaha and Kawai competition of the same era. The R8 numbers the following bands as users, according to Vintage Synth Explorer Orbital: Underworld, Jimmy Edgar, Autechre, 808 State, David Holmes, Fluke, Human League and The Shamen.

I've provided links to the manuals of the 808 (inc the service manual), R8 and R70. As mentioned above, in terms of future features for Octachoron, I believe the R70 offers the most inspiration potential, with it's per note articulation and both macro and micro-timing control (covered in the first chapter). The R-8 manual is worth a look too. One of the things the R-8 featured which the R-70 didn't, was an ability to randomise hit value ranges e.g the velocity or timing of each hit would vary randomly on each repeat within a programmable range.

The most interesting step editing feature of the R-8 and R-70 was a parameter called Nuance. Nuance was introduced on the R8 to emulate the subtle tonal changes produced by hitting different areas of a drum or percussion instruments playing surface. On the R70, where it's available on all the kicks and toms, virtually all the snares, some hi-hats, the ride cymbals, and a few percussion instruments, Nuance has been extended to purely electronic sounds. Although they may not have playing surfaces, some 808 and 909 sounds can have their tone and length changed. One of the problems with sampling these sounds is that you lose the programmability element; however, the R70's Nuance, Attack Damp, Brilliance and Decay parameters solve this problem - for instance, Attack Damp allows you to take the initial click off the R70's 808 kick drum sample, paralleling the Tone Knob on the real instrument. With Octachron not featuring a sound engine of it's own, much of the Nuance feature-set can be mirrored with suitable automation/modulation of the destination sound engine. However, it might be nice if the included automation templates are extended to emulate the Roland Nuance feature. This will help users when setting up their own templates.

Roland TR-808 Operation Manual - http://www.synthdiy.com/files/2013/RolandTR808-OperationManual.pdf
    Rolabd TR-808 Service Manual - http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb447909/dinsync/service_manuals/TR-808.pdf
    Roland R70 - http://www.midimanuals.com/manuals/roland/r-70/owners_manual/r-70_om.pdf
    Roland R8 - http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/R-8MKII_OM.pdf

• @Carnbot said:

@dermichl said:
    Possibly a dumb question but how am i supposed to sequence stand alone apps? Octachron keeps telling me „no midi destination found“. Tried it with different apps on my Air2 at 11.4.1.

If you're using the Octachron Audio unit, you can use the host to connect to the standalone apps midi, but depends on the method, core midi or IAA etc

If you're using standalone Octachron, it depends on the app you're trying to connect to whether they advertise a midi port or not. Some do, some don't :)

Tried with Octachron and Gadget - no joy.
    Tried with Patterning and Gadget - instant joy.
    Off you go...

• @dermichl said:

@Carnbot said:

@dermichl said:

Tried with Octachron and Gadget - no joy.
    Tried with Patterning and Gadget - instant joy.
    Off you go...

I've not tried it but you should be able to connect to Gadget somehow, eg if you try the Oct AU in a host like AB3/ApeMatrix and send the midi destination to Gadget

• @jonmoore said:
    There's a lot of mythology surrounding both the TR-808 and TR-909. Having owned both I can say I few things with regard to their timing. But the most important fact to delineate at the outset is that only the 909 had MIDI natively

• They operated at a lowly 24 pulses per quarter note (the timing convention of Rolands Din Sync24 protocol); full details here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_sync
    • The vast majority of music released using original 808 and 909 hardware relied on hardware with MIDI (via a retrofit in the case of the 808) and much of what some believe to be 808/909 groove came from the sequencer, both analogue and digital hardware sequencers pre 1989, followed by he Atari ST being the most popular computing choice (with Cubase) in the early years of house and techno). Early electro-funk was more likely to rely in the built in sequencing of the 808, as was the case with Afrika Bambaataa's 'Planet Rock' (1982) - https://www.soundonsound.com/people/afrika-bambaataa-soulsonic-force-planet-rock. I'm ignoring non dance genres for the sake of brevity, but also because the 808 and 909 are mainly weapons of choice for producers of the myriad of sub genres that exist under the dance music banner.

I don't think there's anything wrong with emulating the timing jitter of the 808 but I don't believe it to be the source of a magical groove 'mojo' either. Linn Drum/MPC/DMX/SPC style swing is far more important, and that's simply a matter of adding delay to the even note positions of a 16th grid (and is something we already have in Octachron). 8th grid swing is far less useful for contemporary music styles as it sounds closer to big band era swing.

The Roland drum machines that were at the pinnacle of step editing prowess were the R8 and subsequent R70. These offered macro and micro-timing control where each individual grid/hit could both push ahead of the beat or swing/delay. This facilitates a more human ability to swing and push within the same pattern. It's also a vital requirement for things like clap sounds, which feature a built-in echo of hits (for them to feel on the beat the hit is often programmed ahead of the beat). The R70 has the more nuanced step editing UX but the R8 is still loved by many because of it's 10 individual audio outputs (irrelevant in this context). Considering they're both digital sample based machines they command far higher second hand prices than their Yamaha and Kawai competition of the same era. The R8 numbers the following bands as users, according to Vintage Synth Explorer Orbital: Underworld, Jimmy Edgar, Autechre, 808 State, David Holmes, Fluke, Human League and The Shamen.

I've provided links to the manuals of the 808 (inc the service manual), R8 and R70. As mentioned above, in terms of future features for Octachoron, I believe the R70 offers the most inspiration potential, with it's per note articulation and both macro and micro-timing control (covered in the first chapter). The R-8 manual is worth a look too. One of the things the R-8 featured which the R-70 didn't, was an ability to randomise hit value ranges e.g the velocity or timing of each hit would vary randomly on each repeat within a programmable range.

The most interesting step editing feature of the R-8 and R-70 was a parameter called Nuance. Nuance was introduced on the R8 to emulate the subtle tonal changes produced by hitting different areas of a drum or percussion instruments playing surface. On the R70, where it's available on all the kicks and toms, virtually all the snares, some hi-hats, the ride cymbals, and a few percussion instruments, Nuance has been extended to purely electronic sounds. Although they may not have playing surfaces, some 808 and 909 sounds can have their tone and length changed. One of the problems with sampling these sounds is that you lose the programmability element; however, the R70's Nuance, Attack Damp, Brilliance and Decay parameters solve this problem - for instance, Attack Damp allows you to take the initial click off the R70's 808 kick drum sample, paralleling the Tone Knob on the real instrument. With Octachron not featuring a sound engine of it's own, much of the Nuance feature-set can be mirrored with suitable automation/modulation of the destination sound engine. However, it might be nice if the included automation templates are extended to emulate the Roland Nuance feature. This will help users when setting up their own templates.

Roland TR-808 Operation Manual - http://www.synthdiy.com/files/2013/RolandTR808-OperationManual.pdf
    Rolabd TR-808 Service Manual - http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb447909/dinsync/service_manuals/TR-808.pdf
    Roland R70 - http://www.midimanuals.com/manuals/roland/r-70/owners_manual/r-70_om.pdf
    Roland R8 - http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/R-8MKII_OM.

Many thanks very instructive 👌😉

• @jonmoore great info. Thanks for taking the time to share!

• Octachron> @reinerspass said:

@Jeezs said:
    Anyone has informations about BeatMaker 3 compatibility?

People reported crashes when loading it in BM3 but was not able to reproduce it yet. So should work fine :) But if you know anything, would be happy to know more about it!

@dermichl said:

Yup was fixed in version 1.0.1 :+1:

@all
    Thanks a lot for your continuous input, feedback on bugs and feature request, Im really grateful for all that! <3

Cheers
    Markus

Thanks taking time to answer.
    Unfortunately latest version of Octachron still the same problem with Beatmaker 3.
    The plugin refuse to start when playing. Sometimes it start playing and to stop playing at the first note.
    I can post a video if you want.
    Hope this can be solved.
    Thanks

• Latest version works with Beatmaker 3.
    Thanks !!!

• Thanks for the update :)

I just tested, but the reported bug „output midi channel set in the config not being stored in preset/session“ still persists :/ The other values of that same dialog are saved in presets/sessions.

• How do i use general midi with Elliot's Linndrum app? With the other 2 drum machines it's easy, since they already mapped.
    I don't know how to map each drum parts

• I am trying to controle the “active on/off” via a keyboard. I have set that the key 64 should trigger the on/off when pressed...but it doesn’t work...the application seems to not answer to the pressed note (same problem with a cc)

• What drum machine did you use?
    What other drum machines are you guys mapping to Octa?
    Are you using only the ones that comes with the mapping preset?> @cuscolima said:

I am trying to controle the “active on/off” via a keyboard. I have set that the key 64 should trigger the on/off when pressed...but it doesn’t work...the application seems to not answer to the pressed note (same problem with a cc)