Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OCTACHRON MIDI Drum Sequencer AUv3 by Markus Teufel

Comments

• @TasTax said:

@gusgranite said:
    @TasTax Can you define the Mutation function, please?

@gusgranite Thank you very much!
    And yes, actually the Mutation function is kind of a simplified and we hope even more intuitive shortcut to the (of course still available) probabilty modulation.
    With the percentage of mutation you put in, you set the probabilty of additional (not yet set) steps to be played in this row (i.g. 20%)
    On the other hand you then lower the probabilty of the already set steps to be played in this row by this percentage.
    All in all you can just easily add some random variation to each row with the amount of percentage you want with it.

What do you think of of that?

I think that sounds a lot like my favourite function in Rozeta X0X and I think it is most excellent that you have brought it to Octachron 👍

• Nice update!

• @gusgranite said:

I think that sounds a lot like my favourite function in Rozeta X0X and I think it is most excellent that you have brought it to Octachron 👍

@gusgranite, yes, you are right, the mutation in Rozeta X0X should work pretty similar, glad you like it! :)

• @auxmux said:
    Nice update!

@auxmux thank you very much!

• Manual is looking good… 😂😂😂

• @anickt said:
    Manual is looking good… 😂😂😂

😂

Great update nevertheless, yes every drum sequencer should have this kind of mutate function!

• edited August 2022

:smile: haha, the manual is almost there! We have not forgotten about it. But happy to see that you peeps have already found where we put it! :innocent:
    Also thanks a lot for all the nice comments!
    Cheers Markus

• @anickt

Haha, yes thank you :)
    The manual obviously is webbased, it will be completed with the app store release of the update at the latest.

• @Gavinski said:

😂

Great update nevertheless, yes every drum sequencer should have this kind of mutate function!

@Gavinski Thank you very much, glad you like it!

• @reinerspass said:
    :smile: haha, the manual is almost there! We have not forgotten about it. But happy to see that you peeps have already found where we put it! :innocent:
    Also thanks a lot for all the nice comments!
    Cheers Markus

No problem! Haven’t needed a manual yet anyway! App is great so far. The random/mutate functions are very useful and nicely implemented. 😎👍🏼

• edited August 2022

@TasTax said:

• Generated Scales now appear with highest note on top

Now, Octachron has become my ideal app.

@TasTax said:

• New Smart Randomizer (via long press on pattern alias)
    • Smart Randomizer configuration per row (via long press on row)
    • Mutation per row (via long press on row)

The Randomizer feature is overdose and overkill for me, like an invasion of tentacled creatures from a classic Martian/Cthulhu nightmare. A great wise man once said, all your base are belong to us. Exactly, all my BD are now belong to Octi.

Thanks to @TasTax and @reinerspass.

@TasTax said:
    We would love to hear what you think of this update! Do you find it useful or did you hope for other features?

Below is my idea of a zero-step feature that does not exist in the current Octachron. I'm sorry if I'm not good at writing and it's hard to read.

I would like you to add a 0-step feature to Octachron’s Step Repeats.
    Currently, the Step Repeats feature has 4 levels from 1 to 4, but I would like you to increase this to 5 levels from 0 to 4.
    For example, if Octachron's Probability parameter is 0, no sound will be output from Octachron's target app. I would like to do something similar with the Step Repeats feature.
    The 0-step input area and method are exactly the same as the current "Step Repeats" feature. This indirectly means that the number of editable parameters increases from 4 steps to 5 steps.

For example, first, I manually turn on all closed hi-hat grids.
    Then, if I want to turn off a particular grid, I enter 0-step into the Step Repeats corresponding to that grid.
    The target grid I want to turn off, in this case, can be turned off by editing the Step Repeats parameters without tapping the target grid itself.
    I think it's useful for creating patterns that vary the density of a closed hi-hat, such as trap music.

However, I don't know if the 0-step really matches Octachron's UI and UX. If I actually use it, it may be harder to use than I expected.
    Therefore, the 0-step is a suggestion, not a request.

• @cramdog said:

@TasTax said:

• Generated Scales now appear with highest note on top

Now, Octachron has become my ideal app.

@TasTax said:

• New Smart Randomizer (via long press on pattern alias)
    • Smart Randomizer configuration per row (via long press on row)
    • Mutation per row (via long press on row)

The Randomizer feature is overdose and overkill for me, like an invasion of tentacled creatures from a classic Martian/Cthulhu nightmare. A great wise man once said, all your base are belong to us. Exactly, all my BD are now belong to Octi.

Thanks to @TasTax and @reinerspass.

@TasTax said:
    We would love to hear what you think of this update! Do you find it useful or did you hope for other features?

Below is my idea for a 0-step feature that doesn’t exist in the current Octachron. Sorry if my writing is poor and hard to read.

I would like to see the 0-step feature added to Octachron’s Step Repeats.
    Currently, the Step Repeats feature has 4 steps from 1 to 4, but I would like to see that increased to 5 steps from 0 to 4.
    For example, if the Octachron’s Probability parameter is zero, no sound is outputted from the Octachron’s target app. I would like to do something similar to that with Step Repeats feature.
    The area and method of entering the 0-step is exactly the same as the current Step Repeats feature. It means that the number of editable parameters will be increased from 4 to 5 steps in that case.

For example, after manually turning on all the closed hi-hat grids, I want to turn off the target grids in a different way by entering the 0-step in Step Repeats in this case.
    The target grid I want to turn off can be turned off when editing the parameters of the Step Repeats area, without tapping the target grid itself in this case.
    I think it would be useful when creating patterns with varying density of closed hi-hats, such as in trap music.

However, I’m not sure if the 0-step really matches Octachron's UI and UX. It is possible that it would be more difficult to use than expected when actually using it.
    So the 0-step is a suggestion or proposal, not a request.

Hey @cramdog ,

thank you very much for your feedback and your feature suggestion. We will put that in our backlog and think about it.

• @TasTax
    Thank you for reading. I edited my post again. But I don't know if it's any easier to read.

• @cramdog said:
    @TasTax
    Thank you for reading. I edited my post again. But I don't know if it's any easier to read.

So just to make sure we got what you have in mind, basically the feature what you are looking for is deactivating or muting on a step basis, not on a row level? (I assume you’ve found the Mut functionality :)) it’s an interesting idea! There could be maybe other ways as well… 🤔anyways won’t promise anything. :)
    Cheers
    Markus

• edited August 2022

@reinerspass
    Thank you for decrypting my ciphertext. I was confused after reading the contents of my post, so it was helpful that you summarized the points.

@reinerspass said:
    basically the feature what you are looking for is deactivating or muting on a step basis, not on a row level?

I think your guesses are correct.
    I was looking for the feature to deactivate or muting on a step basis.
    I was not looking for the feature to mute on a row level.

@reinerspass said:
    I assume you’ve found the Mut functionality :))

I think those are the 8 switches lined up on the left side of the screen.

@reinerspass said:
    There could be maybe other ways as well… 🤔anyways won’t promise anything. :)

It’s no problem at all.
    Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it.

• @TasTax just ran my first test and it is an amazing beta update, with several features I was hoping to have available.

• edited August 2022

Just tried this out via the beta. The way it responds in windowed mode in AUM or whatever is spot on! Looks like it’ll work great on iPhone basically as it is.

Dunno if it’s out of scope, but a hold mode would be good, like in atom2. This allows you to use another quantised app to sequence patterns within octachron.

• @gregsmith said:
    Just tried this out via the beta. The way it responds in windowed mode in AUM or whatever is spot on! Looks like it’ll work great on iPhone basically as it is.

Dunno if it’s out of scope, but a hold mode would be good, like in atom2. This allows you to use another quantised app to sequence patterns within octachron.

@TasTax I was thinking it be great when you pull up one lane to adjust Randomization/Mutation, you could have L & R arrows to jump to the next lane without having to close that window and hold on another lane. Or Maybe a drop down list to select a separate lane while staying in the random window would be cool. Either of these would speed up the randomize workflow.

• Is there a Solo function somewhere that I’m missing? And what is Edit Without Queue? 😎👍🏼

• @anickt said:
    Is there a Solo function somewhere that I’m missing? And what is Edit Without Queue? 😎👍🏼

Don’t think so, just the mute buttons.

And I’m not sure but also like to know about the Edit thing?

• @Poppadocrock said:

@anickt said:
    Is there a Solo function somewhere that I’m missing? And what is Edit Without Queue? 😎👍🏼

Example of using Edit Without Queue feature

Octachron and a drum app are loaded in AUM. AUM's play button is pressed. Octachron outputs the pattern to the drum app, and the drum app outputs sound.

When "Edit Without Queue" is used, the focus of Octachron’s pattern doesn’t shift. The currently selected pattern continues to be output as an actual sound through the drum app without stopping.

When "Edit Without Queue" isn’t used, the focus of Octachron’s pattern shifts. If the focus is shifted to a blank pattern, the pattern referenced by the drum app is also blank, so the drum app’s sound stops. AUM is still playing, so if anything is input into that blank pattern, the drum app will output sound again.

• edited August 2022

This post is my impression after using the test flight version, but it has much in common with the suggestions and requests about the major version.
    (Now I have temporarily reverted to a major version for comparison. I'm a newbie to music software. I’ve never used the test flight version of any app. The Octachron’s user presets I created with the major version in AUM before installing the test flight version are present and usable after reinstalling the major version after using the test flight version. It's easy to install and revert, so if you haven't used it yet, you might want to try the test flight version.)

• I think the new features such as the randomizer are very nice. Thanks again to @TasTax and @reinerspass. I used it a bit and didn’t find any problems. (If I had to say something, there are two items for MUTATION, I think the upper MUTATION should be more to the right.)

• I would like you to increase the total number of patterns from the current 8 patterns to 16 patterns.

• This is a request. When selecting a part such as Kick or Snare in the Octachron basic screen, please do not change the color of the MUTE switch for that part.
      I always get the impression from the screen I did MUTE on/off which I didn't actually do. I think the problem is the unrelated MUTE changes its color when I'm choosing and paying attention to the Kick. There is no correlation between the selection of the Kick and the change in the display state of the mute switch of the Kick. (Sorry for my poor explanation.)
      I would like to suggest the mute switch be replaced with a mute grid that is independent of item names such as Kick and Snare. This is related to the following request.

• It is easy to use if there is a feature that can turn multiple MUTE switches on/off by tapping/sliding the MUTE switch.

• It would be great if parameter names such as VEROCITY, STEP REPEATS, PROBABILITY, and ROW LENGTH are always displayed at the same time and can be selected with one tap. With the current method, MODULATION is displayed in the center of the screen, so the distance the eyes and fingers move from the lower left of the screen is too long.
      More rows are useful, and two columns might be even more useful. In this case, users would assign infrequently used parameters to select from a list.
      However, the current Octachron’s selection method may be the best choice because the screen size of Octachron as a guest app varies from user to user. (When I edit the Octachron in the host app, I maximize the Octachron screen.)

• It would be good if the basic display of VEROCITY, STEP REPEATS, PROBABILITY, and ROWLENGTH could be exchanged with other parameters in any order.

• I'm not sure if the new font is cool. I compared the new font to the old Octachron images on pages 3 and 4 of this thread and the current major version of the Octachron’s font. I can't choose.
      If I had to say something, I like the fact the weight of the new font is thinner than the current font because it's easier to read. (But maybe it's just my imagination.)

• The attached image is the zero step idea image I mentioned in the previous post. I thought about throwing it away, but I'll post it just in case.
      Please think of it as a normal STEP REPEATS screen. The yellow and blue numbers don’t appear on the actual Octachron’s screen. The green zero is a simplified version of the grid showing the zero step. As @reinerpass said, this is not intended at the row or column level, but rather to deactivate or mute a specific grid by its step parameter.

(EDITED)

• In the GENERATE SCALE feature, it is hard to select SCALE with plus/minus buttons. I would like to select a scale from the list.

(EDITED2)

• I would like you to move the RESET button from under the ACTIONS to the MODULATION window. For example, next to the left of EDIT button. That reduces the number of taps required from 3 to 2.
  • edited August 2022

I think the text for the plus/minus buttons and left/right arrows should be above the buttons. As it is now, when tapping a button with a natural movement my finger obscures the text.

A Solo function would be helpful.

When random generating a pattern with a scale, an option to choose only one note per step would be nice for a monophonic bass or lead line.

More patterns would be good.

Everything else is pretty good and the app is fun to work with. 😎👍🏼

PS - How about a way to load a sample to each track? I don’t need fancy features like multiple layers or round robin, just to be able to hear a drum sound while programming patterns without getting into other apps.

• @cramdog said:

@Poppadocrock said:

@anickt said:

Example of using Edit Without Queue feature

Octachron and a drum app are loaded in AUM. AUM's play button is pressed. Octachron outputs the pattern to the drum app, and the drum app outputs sound.

When "Edit Without Queue" is used, the focus of Octachron’s pattern doesn’t shift. The currently selected pattern continues to be output as an actual sound through the drum app without stopping.

When "Edit Without Queue" isn’t used, the focus of Octachron’s pattern shifts. If the focus is shifted to a blank pattern, the pattern referenced by the drum app is also blank, so the drum app’s sound stops. AUM is still playing, so if anything is input into that blank pattern, the drum app will output sound again.

Gotcha. So you can basically edit other patterns while playing a different one.

• I like what @anickt is talking about.

Except maybe the samples part… I could see see maybe a default 808 kit or something just for pattern creation, but this is a midi and cc sequencer, ya know…

• @cramdog i would love to be able to swipe or scroll with touch or arrows to change between velocity, probability, etc.. that’s a great point.

• Also, the plus/minus buttons don’t always respond well. Sometimes it takes several taps to make them change value.

• edited August 2022

@reinerspass @TasTax
    I’ve just sent you a crash log ips.beta file via email. If the attached file isn’t the crash log, sorry. I wrote the operation just before the crash in the email. It was sent to "[email protected]". I'm not sure if that address is currently valid, so I reported it in this thread just in case.
    Below is the reason.
    My test flight version of Octachron crashed. The test flight app asked me if I wanted to send feedback or not. I thought I could reproduce the crash, so I didn’t feed back the crash. However, I couldn’t reproduce the crash.
    (Octachron users, if you experience a crash in the test flight version, please don't make the same stupid choice I did.)

BTW, I’ve read @uncledave's explanation about the crash log in some thread. That memory helped me this time. Thank you very much. I think incredible and uncledave are a bit similar in spelling. (Please ignore this stupid post.)

• edited August 2022

Hey everybody,
    @Gavinski, @cramdog, @anickt, @gregsmith, @Poppadocrock, @auxmux, @gusgranite and everyone from this great community!

Thank you very much for your nice feedback and your great ideas!
    Some were new to us and some already on our mind.

We will definitely collect them all, sort them out and try to realize as much of them as possible.

So Thx again for the great support and if you have other questions or ideas just keep dropping them here.

Have fun and best greetings from Munich again ✌️😊
    Tas

• Hey everybody,

so now finally our manual also is live in the beta version. You can reach it in the app at the end of the octachron menu or directly via this link: https://octachron.de/manual.html

What do you think about it ?

Cheers from Munich :)
    Tas