Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OCTACHRON MIDI Drum Sequencer AUv3 by Markus Teufel

Comments

• @Gdub said:
    @TasTax
    Thanks for the reply
    I certainly wouldn’t argue with the survey results
    Keep up the good work

Hey @Gdub ,

thx for understanding and thx for your support.
    We really appreciate that :)

Best greetings
    Tas

• Hey @TasTax ... Good to see it's not only on my side. Stability is top notch. Nothing to report at all :w
    Experience was great with the beta, quickly developed patterns for further development. 💖

• @senhorlampada said:
    Hey @TasTax ... Good to see it's not only on my side. Stability is top notch. Nothing to report at all :w
    Experience was great with the beta, quickly developed patterns for further development. 💖

Hey @senhorlampada, great to hear that, thank you very much and keep enjoying 😊

• edited August 2021

One minor issue that I almost sent via TestFlight but it was small, went away, and it could have possibly been user error.

I saved several presets, two were to cover every pad on FAC Drumkit. So pads 1-8 in one preset and pads 9-16 in preset 2. I went to use them, in a new session and when I was loading two instances of Octa, the preset I selected for one instance, automatically loaded in the 2nd instance of Octatrack. I was trying to have preset 1 in instance one, and present 2 in instance 2. However I kept loading preset 1 in octa 1, but it would change the preset in instance 2, to preset 1. And then I tried to do it the other way and load preset 2 in instance 2, and it would change the preset in instance one as well. I went back and forth about 10 times because I wanted to make sure I was definitely selecting The correct instance, lol. It continuespd to do it, until I close the AUM session, shut down, and restarted and after that it didn’t happen again. Im not sure what happened, and it was temporary, but I thought I would let you know. This happened when on most recent iOS, I’m now on 14.7.1. IPad 6 aka 2018.

• edited August 2021

@Poppadocrock said:
    One minor issue that I almost sent via TestFlight but it was small, went away, and it could have possibly been user error.

@Poppadocrock , Ok, thank you very much. We will check this.

• @TasTax said:

@Poppadocrock said:

@Poppadocrock , Ok, thank you very much. We will check this.

No worries. Anytime. I wish I had more detail but it was maybe 10 days ago and I obviously deleted that AUM session.

• Hey @Poppadocrock,
    thanks a lot for reporting the bug! <3 I was able to reproduce and fix it, keep it coming!

• edited August 2021

I love Octachron.

• @ashh said:
    I love Octachron.

❤️

• This is a double post from my drum programming/sequencing thread but it’s even more relevent here:
    ————————————————

I just noticed that Octachron was updated today and it includes a built in (editable) template for FAC Drumkit. I alway liked the idea of Octachron but worried that it was abandonware as it hadn’t been updated in nearly a year.

I’ve just been playing this last hour with FAC Drumkit with two instance of Octachron (to trigger all 16 FAC Drumkit pads) and a midi instance of Drambo on each channel to provide automatible envelopes (wish this was possible in FAC Drumkit directly, but there are other midi triggered processing effects that can be set up in Drambo as well as envelopes). This is the closest I’ve got to a Geist like experience on iOS. I love the flexibility of Swing settings in Octachron, which coupled with its parameter locks and plentiful extenal CC mappings, helps make the whole setup feel like a single instrument rather than 3 discreet elements.

Hammerhead is also a juicy setup with Octachron (especially useful for samples longer than 1 second and choke group driven hats).

And the final bonus is that both FAC Drumkit and Hammerhead play samples in place. In my case I keep my sample library on an exernal Sandisk as it takes up a lot of space, and both apps play the samples directly from the external drive (or possibly from a sandboxed tmp playback folder).

• edited September 2021

Dear Octachron community!

We are very glad to have finally shipped another free update for you. It includes:

• Numerical BPM input option via tap
    • Drag and drop song patterns to change their order
    • Edit-only function via tap-and-hold or shift and tap
    • Play indicator and countdown of played repeats
    • By default in song mode patterns set to 0 repeats are skipped
    • New MIDI mappings
    • Completely new move x and y function in the pattern menu for more experimental grooves

How do you like it?
    Would be really great to get a little review from you in the Appstore:

https://apps.apple.com/de/app/octachron/id1453137215

Thank you very much and stay mobile! :)

• I was exciteted to see the new build and started to use Octachron in my current project in Cubasis 3 but had to stop because there was timing issue with the drums in the project. I tested this by setting a simple test with a hat sample triggered on 1/8ths via the host piano roll and then mirrored this with the same pattern and sample via Octachron. I didn’t measure the delay scientfically but it was somewhere between 1/64th and 1/32nd. Octachron was hosted in the MFX slot of the same track triggering hat sample.

I didn’t have to time to test this in AUM with Atom 2 and Octachron, but this would be a good isolation test to see in the issue is with the combination of Cubasis 3 and Octachron.

Octrachron is a great app that answers many of my needs, particuarly as a sequencing element for FAC Drumkit, but if the timing isn’t rock solid, I’ll have to pass.

• @jonmoore said:
    I was exciteted to see the new build and started to use Octachron in my current project in Cubasis 3 but had to stop because there was timing issue with the drums in the project. I tested this by setting a simple test with a hat sample triggered on 1/8ths via the host piano roll and then mirrored this with the same pattern and sample via Octachron. I didn’t measure the delay scientfically but it was somewhere between 1/64th and 1/32nd. Octachron was hosted in the MFX slot of the same track triggering hat sample.

I didn’t have to time to test this in AUM with Atom 2 and Octachron, but this would be a good isolation test to see in the issue is with the combination of Cubasis 3 and Octachron.

Octrachron is a great app that answers many of my needs, particuarly as a sequencing element for FAC Drumkit, but if the timing isn’t rock solid, I’ll have to pass.

The timing was rock solid in AUM a prior to this update so I will retest it after updating and post to this thread: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/46251/let-s-talk-about-midi-sequencer-timing/p2

• @gusgranite said:

@jonmoore said:
    I was exciteted to see the new build and started to use Octachron in my current project in Cubasis 3 but had to stop because there was timing issue with the drums in the project. I tested this by setting a simple test with a hat sample triggered on 1/8ths via the host piano roll and then mirrored this with the same pattern and sample via Octachron. I didn’t measure the delay scientfically but it was somewhere between 1/64th and 1/32nd. Octachron was hosted in the MFX slot of the same track triggering hat sample.

The timing was rock solid in AUM a prior to this update so I will retest it after updating and post to this thread: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/46251/let-s-talk-about-midi-sequencer-timing/p2

I updated and tested again and the timing is still rock solid in AUM. It didn’t miss a beat. I don’t own Cubasis but maybe it is specific to that DAW? More testing required, I guess.

• Great. I love Octachron. So nice to work with and look at.
    One noob question that someone might be able to answer:

How does one use the CC messages/parameters. I’m not sure I quite understand how to set it up…? Let’s use Digistix2 as an example. Can I dial in parameters for e.g. pitch or reverb in th CC messages? And how would I do that?

• @jonmoore I don‘t have Cubasis 3, so i only could do an Octachron synctest with Cubasis 2:

I made a test similar to the one used in the thread that @gusgranite linked:

• Setup two midi tracks, both using the free LFVD: Plectrum AU with 50% feedback setting for a short pulse.
    • The first track is triggered using Rozeta X0X midi effect playing a BD on every beat. Set the 808 timing to Off in the X0X settings.
    • The second track is triggered using Octachron as midi effect, playing a BD every beat. The BD midi note needs to be configured in Octachrons settings to use note #49 like X0X does.

The short Plectrum pulse from both tracks will result in an audible double trigger/flam sound if there is a timing problem. Freezing both tracks shows the alignment of the waveforms.

In case of Cubasis 2, i found no Octachron timing problems with the available ‚Low‘ or ‚Medium‘ hardware latency settings. I had set the track quantize options to the max (1/64th) and also checked track-freeze.

• Hi, @reinerspass.
    I have confirmed the correction of the octacron step repeat.
    Thank you very much.

Hi, @galmandsværk.
    I do not have Digistix2.
    I will describe how to control the volume of the ChowKick from the Octachron inside AUM.
    If you apply that, you may be able to control the Digistix2 parameters.
    ChowKick is a free app (or more precisely a donation app).

Procedure:
    Load ChowKick and Octachron into AUM.

Tap the hamburger icon to the left of the ChowKick app icon in AUM.
    The window "ChowKick @A1" will appear.
    Under MIDI SOURCES, put a checkmark in the Octachron @M2:1.
    Tap the orange icon to the right of the word ChowKick @A1.
    Scroll down to the bottom of the MIDI Controls window, and you will see an item called Level.
    In Level, change OFF to CH 1.
    In Level, change CC 1 to CC 30.
    Scroll to the top of MIDI Controls, and tap “No MIDI Source! Tap to conect.”.
    Under MIDI SOURCES in MIDI Control, put a check mark in the Octachron @M2:1.

(As a very beginner, I was tripped up by the fact that I had to put two checkmarks in Octachron).

Tap on the Octachron app icon itself that is displayed in AUM.
    Tap on VELOCITY, visible in the lower left corner.
    In the MODULATION window, under General Preset CC Modulation, turn on the CC switch at the top to make it green.
    Tap the word CC itself or the area to the left of the green switch.
    The word VELOCITY will change to the word CC.
    Enter the CC automation. (It is grey).
    Enter the Kick step. (It is red. The grey CC automation will also change to red)

Press the play button on the AUM and you will see that the Octachron is controlling the volume parameters of the ChowKick.

P.S.

• The Octachron can also control the dry and wet parameters of the ToneBoosters Reverb set to INSERTS & EFFECTS in AUM.
    • The Octachron's octopus icon allows you to change the name and value of the CC.
      In fact, from the octopus icon, I looked up the default CC value beforehand and selected the existing value of 30. (I've omitted that description).

• If you follow the instructions, you can rewrite the word “CC” in the Octachron settings to the word “ChowKick Level” and save it as a user preset called “ChowKick”, which will be easier to use next time.

• If you are currently stuck in a more complex setup (such as using the streambyter app) where my description doesn't help, I can't advise you as I don't have the knowledge.
  • @cramdog

Many thanks for the detailed instructions, it works perfectly! Also with DigiStix2! Good stuff :)

• Hey everybody, thanks for all the feedback! Super happy to see you are still engaged in Octachron. Really keeps up the motivation working on it! :heart::heart::heart:

@jonmoore I was trying to reproduce the issue you're having with Octachron together with Cubasis, but was. not able to. Are you using Cubasis 2 or 3? The Issue you are having was that the timing was constantly off? Like always a 64th too late? Or would it also drift over time? I'd be really happy if you maybe could share such a test project here in the forum or send me as a DM, maybe that helps reproducing it. Also if you could send a video demonstrating it, would also be nice, does not need to be fancy. Thanks in advance :)

@cramdog Happy to hear that the fix worked! :) Also thanks a lot for explaining the controlling CC thing so nicely 🙇‍♂️

Cheer
    Markus

• @reinerspass The project I was working on was Cubasis 3 but unfortunately I can't share it as it's a remix for another artist. The timing was definitely slightly late in comparison to other rhythm AUv3's that I had running in the project (FAC Drumkit and Hammerhead). I haven't gone back to Octachron since but will in the near future (on paper it fits many of my needs).

With Cubasis 2/3 you can encounter oddities on occasions that are nothing to do with the plugin in question.

• @jonmoore said:
    @reinerspass The project I was working on was Cubasis 3 but unfortunately I can't share it as it's a remix for another artist. The timing was definitely slightly late in comparison to other rhythm AUv3's that I had running in the project (FAC Drumkit and Hammerhead). I haven't gone back to Octachron since but will in the near future (on paper it fits many of my needs).

With Cubasis 2/3 you can encounter oddities on occasions that are nothing to do with the plugin in question.

Hey @jonmoore , ok unfortunately we couldn’t reproduce the issue. Can you maybe share another test project where it occurs?

And does anybody else have this issue?

Thx a lot and best greetings from Munich ✌️🙂 Tas

• @tastax
    First of all, thanks for a great app, I love playing around with it.
    However, I always have to abandon it when I want to use it with pattern switching controlled by other apps (mostly LK or Atom 2).

No matter how I set it up, I cannot get Octachron to switch patterns on the first beat. For some odd reason it WILL switch patterns every now and again if the midi note is set at the end of a pattern in LK/Atom.

I really want to make this work. Am I missing something?

I use AUM as a host and I dial in the pattern change notes in MIDI Controls and then set up LK to send notes that align with these notes. I’ve tried with “toggle” off as someone else suggested. Also tried with “instant pattern change” in Octachron, but it doesn’t work.

I’m sure I’m missing something, but I can’t see what it is…?!? :)

• @""galmandsværk"
    I have been in this situation
    I ended up moving over to Egpulse instead because of the same reasons you mentioned
    I could never get it to work properly
    Shame as I like this app a lot

• @Gdub said:
    @""galmandsværk"
    I ended up moving over to Egpulse instead because of the same reasons you mentioned

Thanks. For me, EG feels a little fiddly to program and I can’t seem to see any possibility of mapping pattern changes that I can control via midi through LK or Atom….?

• @galmandsværk
    I place a whole loop on each pad in Egpulse
    At use messages to start each loop when required
    It’s messy
    Perhaps loopy pro is gonna be the answer we are all looking for

• Love this app. I've been recommending it to people on Lines in their iOS thread. Most of them already have it and love it but there's always one or two who haven't.

• @galmandsværk said:

@Gdub said:
    @""galmandsværk"

Thanks. For me, EG feels a little fiddly to program and I can’t seem to see any possibility of mapping pattern changes that I can control via midi through LK or Atom….?

Hey @galmandsværk , hey @Gdub ,

Thank You very much for Your Feedback. We will check this. Can you maybe post a little video where it occurs? that would help us a lot.

And Does anybody else have this problem or maybe even an idea for a solution?

Thank you very much and best greetings from Munich
    Tas

• @ashh said:
    Love this app. I've been recommending it to people on Lines in their iOS thread. Most of them already have it and love it but there's always one or two who haven't.

Thank you @ashh

Glad you’re enjoying it and many thx for your support ✌️😊

• By the way ... Octachron also is on Insta now, wohooo! :smile:

We shared a little teaser to a very fun upcoming new feature there.
    Check it out and tell us your thoughts and wishes about it in the comments ...

https://www.instagram.com/octachron/

• @TasTax said:
    By the way ... Octachron also is on Insta now, wohooo! :smile:

We shared a little teaser to a very fun upcoming new feature there.
    Check it out and tell us your thoughts and wishes about it in the comments ...

https://www.instagram.com/octachron/

Yeahhh boiiiii
    Gonna follow you now