Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OCTACHRON MIDI Drum Sequencer AUv3 by Markus Teufel

Comments

• @iamspoon said:

@Poppadocrock said:
    I just got Octa a couple weeks ago, and I love it too except for one annoying flaw.... every time I stop a session in AB3 then play it again Octa starts from wherever I paused it not from the top of the sequence. I sent email to developer but no response yet. This makes it hard to use...

Yeah same here. I spoke to the developer here on the forums and he is aware of the issue but I’ve not heard back since. Hope he is ok and a fix is still in the works.

Anyone heard back from developer about this recently? :(
    Sadly it’s pretty much unusable in AB3 at present since it’s difficult/impossible to restart the sequencer in sync.

• Wow I just found this purchased but never used. Very nice simple sequencer.

• I wish it could record midi in from Rozeta

• edited September 2019

I'm getting terrible drift in Octachron. I make an identical beat in Rozeta XoX and Octachron, and it turns into a very unpleasant phasing within four bars. Rozeta remains rock solid. Is there some setting in Octachron that I'm missing? cc @badbeat

• Bumping this. Nobody having sync issues with Octachron? I can’t imagine that there’s something particular to my setup that’s causing tempo drift, but maybe there is?

• edited September 2019

@Poppadocrock said:
    I just got Octa a couple weeks ago, and I love it too except for one annoying flaw.... every time I stop a session in AB3 then play it again Octa starts from wherever I paused it not from the top of the sequence. I sent email to developer but no response yet. This makes it hard to use...

Yeah same here....

Yes, a different type of sync issue though.
    I think there were other reports of drift earlier in the thread, might be related/exaggerated if combined with the sequencer reset issue :'(

Great potential here, sadly unused for now.

• edited September 2019

My solve is not use other drum Aus at the same time, hehe, but if this is a issue that's a bummer. Love this sequencer.

• @Poppadocrock said:

Yeah, it does the same thing in Nanostudio 2. Other than this, great app.

• Sam Izrael and I are also having sync problems. We really want to use this app.
    Please fix it soon!!
    😩😫😖😣

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Bumping this. Nobody having sync issues with Octachron? I can’t imagine that there’s something particular to my setup that’s causing tempo drift, but maybe there is?

• @Tamir_Raz_Mataz I feel the same... really hoping developer updates. Email developer at
    [email protected]

• Hey @Tamir_Raz_Mataz @Poppadocrock @ExAsperis99 and all, thanks for reaching out. I am sorry for the late reply. :neutral: I have tried reproducing you issues but was not able to, I have tried longer sessions in Nano Studio 2 and AUM but Octachron seemed to be stable. Is there something I would need to do to trigger the drift? Maybe when changing patterns or using some specific feature? What other DAW would have the problem. Also is it something that might have been introduced with iOS 13? Would love to fix this issue! :)

Cheers

• Hi @reinerspass, thanks for your will to resolve the out of sync issue.
    I run Octachron on AUM and it gets out of sync, thats noticable when i switch on metronome.
    If i run Rozeta sequencers at the same time they all stay in sync besides Octachron

• I have the same timing problems. I Used octachron in AUM to trigger Ruismaker and after a while it gets out of sync. Latest OS on an iPad 5.

• Thanks for your replies, hmm, AUM and Ruismaker is usually my default test setup, and I’m using AUMs metronome for testing drift issues, usually I let it run for half an hour to see if there is any drift, but didn’t notice anything. @dmnc Are you using any external audio interfaces, maybe a bluetooth headphone. Maybe its not drifting if you use the internal speaker as output and don’t connect anything else?

• @reinerspass said:
    Thanks for your replies, hmm, AUM and Ruismaker is usually my default test setup, and I’m using AUMs metronome for testing drift issues, usually I let it run for half an hour to see if there is any drift, but didn’t notice anything. @dmnc Are you using any external audio interfaces, maybe a bluetooth headphone. Maybe its not drifting if you use the internal speaker as output and don’t connect anything else?

Dear Reiner - loving Octa so far - and cant say much about the drift topic - but - I have another problem/question -

When I play with a single Octa everything is fine for me - but when I add a 2nd one later during the session - for example by running a 2nd instance of Ruismaker - then I don’t get the two Octas in sync ... means the 2nd one starts just anywhere ... by chance ... whenever I activate it - but it doesn’t hold up with the Beat of the first one - so for me it’s almost impossible to use more then one instance of Octa - which is quite a Limitation - so am I doing something wrong or is there any solution for this behavior or is it meant like this?

• @iamspoon said:

@Poppadocrock said:

Yeah same here....

Assuming users might be pausing/restarting or adding another AU instance with the transport running.... could these Sync issues be related to the AU transport bug reported before?

• @Bon_Tempi If you add 2 instances of Octachron to an empty session and start the host transport afterwards do they sync?

• @reinerspass is recording midi into Ochtachron on the roadmap. That would be great with other sequencers.

• @iamspoon said:
    @Bon_Tempi If you add 2 instances of Octachron to an empty session and start the host transport afterwards do they sync?

Yes, in this way they do start in sync and stay in sync - at least in my not so extended (time-wise) way of using it -

But the problem occurs - when I add the 2nd instance after the first one has running already - shall it be two seconds later or two minutes later —- which often happens while I am jamming - because all of sudden one has a new idea and wants to add another ruismaker for example ...

In comparison: EG Pulse works like this - there I can add no matter how may instances at no matter which time - they always start on the first beat of the new cycle and stay in sync to each other like this - whereas Octas 2nd instance starts just at any step of the beat ... depending on when you add the instance to the existing cycle of the beat ... although I have activated Ableton Link in the standalone version ...

• @reinerspass said:
    Thanks for your replies, hmm, AUM and Ruismaker is usually my default test setup, and I’m using AUMs metronome for testing drift issues, usually I let it run for half an hour to see if there is any drift, but didn’t notice anything. @dmnc Are you using any external audio interfaces, maybe a bluetooth headphone. Maybe its not drifting if you use the internal speaker as output and don’t connect anything else?

Last time I used a Zoom-U24 Audio Interface connected with CCK. I was jamming with my band and AUM was synced via Ableton Link. I had other Apps running which stayed in sync. I can try to reproduce the drift and give you feedback. (Apart from that Octachron is really a cool app which I like to use often :)

• Yeah I understand that it is still an issue and that this is not a particularly usable workaround, but this is kind of similar to the issue in AB3 where the sequencer doesn’t reset with transport so I figured it might be related.
    Hopefully that helps @reinerspass

• @reinerspass no worries, it’s good to hear from you. My issue is in Audiobus 3. I hope I can explain this properly. When I pause a session with Octachron, all apps reset to the first step of the sequence, except Octachron. Octa stops on whatever step I paused it at, then resumes from that step, not from the beginning of the sequence. So instead of starting at step 1 with a bass drum it will start on step 8, for example, or where ever I paused it.

I’m pretty sure @iamspoon nailed it. The sequencer doesn’t reset with AB3 transport controls.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    @reinerspass no worries, it’s good to hear from you. My issue is in Audiobus 3. I hope I can explain this properly. When I pause a session with Octachron, all apps reset to the first step of the sequence, except Octachron. Octa stops on whatever step I paused it at, then resumes from that step, not from the beginning of the sequence. So instead of starting at step 1 with a bass drum it will start on step 8, for example, or where ever I paused it.

I’m pretty sure @iamspoon nailed it. The sequencer doesn’t reset with AB3 transport controls.

Today I was running three instances of Octachron, each driving a different instances of Fractal Bits in AUM3. All Octa instances reset with AUM transport no probs. I didn't notice any drift.

What I'd like to see:

a_ Swing per track

b- a display of the value for a given step in modulation lanes. Would make entering pitch and ccs etc, a lot quicker.

I haven't tried slaving Octa to external midi clock, but so far this is proving a very useful app for me.

• edited October 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @ElectroHead Thanks for the tests. I tried again too, and I’m having the issue in Audiobus 3, maybe it’s only in Audiobus 3.

• Hey everybody,

thanks for all the replies! You are so helpful. I'm so happy that this is such a friendly community. :)

I see that there is indeed a lot of room for improvement regarding the syncing and I'm currently working on an improvement that should solve the Audiobus, the drift and the issue with multiple instances. I need to rewrite quite a few things, but should be much more reliable after that.

@StudioES said:

Thank you so much for your detailed explanation! Thats so helpful :) these details are all pretty amazing and exactly what I was looking for!

@gusgranite said:
    @reinerspass is recording midi into Ochtachron on the roadmap. That would be great with other sequencers.

Sorry, recording will not be added in the near future, wouldn't say never though. :)

@ElectroHead said:
    What I'd like to see:
    a_ Swing per track
    b- a display of the value for a given step in modulation lanes. Would make entering pitch and ccs etc, a lot quicker.

Also wont happen in the near future, sorry

Thanks again!

Cheers

Markus

• @reinerspass Thanks for the reply. Great to see you're prioritizing working on improving sync.

• I've borrowed a friend's Nord Drum 3 and had a session sequencing it with Octachron hosted in AUM3 with midi clock from an Octatrack via Audiobus. I experienced the same drift as described in detail by @StudioES. With the same clock and in AUM I tried Rozetta Rhythm and it synced fine.

Otherwise the Octachron is an excellent sequencer for the Nord Drum. I used Octachron standalone with TB Midi stuff to create a load of kits/presets and it's a neat setup (the ND editor for TB Midi = so much better than the machine interface). When I get more time, I plan to set up 6 instances of Octachron with AUM as master clock and sequence the parts on separate channels; sequence them chromatically and sequence the hell out of multiple ND ccs. With 8 cc sequences for each of the 6 parts on the ND, I'll give the machine's midi handling a run for its money >:)

• is anyone still having time sync issues with this app?

I'm considering buying Octachron to sequence Elastic Drums. If Octachron is still unreliable, can anyone suggest another audio unit that could sequence ED with probability per step?