Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OCTACHRON MIDI Drum Sequencer AUv3 by Markus Teufel

Comments

• Awesome, I was also waiting for a drum sequencer like this, atom is nice but only for the melodic stuff. Interesting, that the developer wasn't promoting it here nor having any history of apps, yet he hit exactly the missing market. Hope this will get some more love as it seems there are many polishes needed.

• Getting this now! Please make iPhone version as well 😁

• edited May 2019

@skrat said:
    Awesome, I was also waiting for a drum sequencer like this, atom is nice but only for the melodic stuff. Interesting, that the developer wasn't promoting it here nor having any history of apps, yet he hit exactly the missing market. Hope this will get some more love as it seems there are many polishes needed.

Pretty sure the dev, Markus, is Kai Aras’ partner At Numerical Audio of Volt Synth and KB-1 fame. So there is some history of apps and that would explain how he hit the spot with this one.

• What functionality, if any, does this have which rozetta XOX or Patterning 2 doesn't? I also don't see export pattern as midi file.

Is there swing, or at least offset / delay per track?

How many cc's can it transmit simultaneously?

On any given step are the cc values sent BEFORE note on messages?

• I was testing this as an AU3 from BM3 and nothing. I put it in the midi fx slot of Ruismaker, threw in some test notes and nada. Playing the song doesn’t even move the location marker... and this is with the Ruismaker preset loaded. Disable Octachron and Ruismaker plays normally.

If this were hardware, I’d say it wasn’t receiving midi clock or wrong midi channel. Something is amiss.

• edited May 2019

@Beathoven said:

@skrat said:
    Awesome, I was also waiting for a drum sequencer like this, atom is nice but only for the melodic stuff. Interesting, that the developer wasn't promoting it here nor having any history of apps, yet he hit exactly the missing market. Hope this will get some more love as it seems there are many polishes needed.

Pretty sure the dev, Markus, is Kai Aras’ partner At Numerical Audio of Volt Synth and KB-1 fame. So there is some history of apps and that would explain how he hit the spot with this one.

That explains it. Clever devs that can make app like this doesn't fall from heaven, or do they? :wink:

@osc101 said:
    I was testing this as an AU3 from BM3 and nothing. I put it in the midi fx slot of Ruismaker, threw in some test notes and nada. Playing the song doesn’t even move the location marker... and this is with the Ruismaker preset loaded. Disable Octachron and Ruismaker plays normally.

If this were hardware, I’d say it wasn’t receiving midi clock or wrong midi channel. Something is amiss.

Not near iPad now but isn't this because this is MIDI generator, not FX? I believe you need to load it in any pad and setup MIDI routing to specific channel. Will try later today if you won't find out by yourself.

• @ElectroHead said:
    What functionality, if any, does this have which rozetta XOX or Patterning 2 doesn't? I also don't see export pattern as midi file.

What I like about this the most is that you can see directly all drums on one screen, it's much nicer to see the whole beat in context. Also I like that you see the thumbnail of a pattern instead of a numbers in XOX (in Rozeta, you don't even see which patterns are empty). Also there's:

• velocity can be "fine-tuned", not only default and accent option as in XOX
    • possible to automate also other CC parameters
    • "ratcheting" (rapid note triggers)

AFAIK there is no AUv3 drum sequencer like this yet. But if you know about some, I would love to know it.

• @skrat said:

@Beathoven said:

@skrat said:

That explains it. Clever devs that can make app like this doesn't fall from heaven, or do they? :wink:

@osc101 said:
    I was testing this as an AU3 from BM3 and nothing. I put it in the midi fx slot of Ruismaker, threw in some test notes and nada. Playing the song doesn’t even move the location marker... and this is with the Ruismaker preset loaded. Disable Octachron and Ruismaker plays normally.

Not near iPad now but isn't this because this is MIDI generator, not FX? I believe you need to load it in any pad and setup MIDI routing to specific channel. Will try later today if you won't find out by yourself.

Hmmm..Your comment had me scratching my head. So I loaded up a new session in BM3 and placed Rozetta X0X as a midi FX with Ruismaker and it works perfectly. Swapped out Rozetta for Octa and nothing... Weird. Actually, it triggered one kick drum on the first count of a four on the floor bar, then nothing.

I then tried loading Octa as a midi fx in Cubasis with Ruismaker same as BM3, and it worked perfectly. Something is definitely amiss with BM3 and Octa. I can't think of anything that I could be doing on my end to affect it.

• @skrat thanks for the helpful post.

Was really hoping this was on iphone too.

• Found this in the local newspaper today

https://www.op-marburg.de/Mehr/Welt/Panorama/Influencerin-will-lebendigen-Oktopus-essen-doch-der-beisst-sich-in-ihrem-Gesicht-fest

Scroll down to the video you dont really need to read German. I little girl searching for fame thought it would be a cool idea to eat an Octachron... turned out he didn’t liked that idea at all....

+1 for Universal support! 💪🏼

• Hmmm..Your comment had me scratching my head. So I loaded up a new session in BM3 and placed Rozetta X0X as a midi FX with Ruismaker and it works perfectly. Swapped out Rozetta for Octa and nothing... Weird. Actually, it triggered one kick drum on the first count of a four on the floor bar, then nothing.

I then tried loading Octa as a midi fx in Cubasis with Ruismaker same as BM3, and it worked perfectly. Something is definitely amiss with BM3 and Octa. I can't think of anything that I could be doing on my end to affect it.

Sorry for the confusion, haven't used BM3 much after their update to MIDI fx section... Obviously there's a bug - Octachron seems to not recieve clock sync from BM3, it only occasionally moves one beat. Will report to the developer, please do the same to make a little pressure, as this is obviously unusable in BM3.

• hahaha that was pretty funny. People do stupid stuff for fame and I'm there to laught about it.

@david_2017 said:
    Found this in the local newspaper today

https://www.op-marburg.de/Mehr/Welt/Panorama/Influencerin-will-lebendigen-Oktopus-essen-doch-der-beisst-sich-in-ihrem-Gesicht-fest

Scroll down to the video you dont really need to read German. I little girl searching for fame thought it would be a cool idea to eat an Octachron... turned out he didn’t liked that idea at all....

+1 for Universal support! 💪🏼

• What does "track length" refer to? Can you set the number of steps within a pattern?

• DCJDCJ
    edited May 2019

@ecamburn said:
    What does "track length" refer to? Can you set the number of steps within a pattern?

You can. You switch between velocity, steps, ratchet, etc in the bottom left corner.

• Sorry it’s called row length not steps

• Gracias.

• Hey everybody,

Thanks for all your overwhelming positive comments, I'm really happy you guys enjoy the app! Also thanks a lot for your feedback regarding bugs and issues, super valuable! I'll address them ASAP, it's weekend soon, so finally some time to give Octachron some love!

• Issues with some Hosts
      There are definitely some issues with some DAW, BM3 not working properly and issues in NanoStudio 2! I'm terribly sorry about that and will address this issues first!

• Usability
      I see that some of you had issues finding how to set the parameter lock features, thanks a lot for your valuable input! Also, i'll try to come up with something like a manual or a nice in depth tutorial!

• Missing Features
      Of course i'm going to improve on the app in the future, thanks for your inspiring feature requests! Again, super valuable for me! There is definitely stuff i'd like to have for my own as well :)

• Randomiser
      • Midi control for pattern change and mute
      • quantisation
      • probability pattern change
      • universal app
    • Mapping Presets
      If you're missing mapping presets for your favourite drum machines, please let me know what you'd be interested in (@BiancaNeve, @Nicebutfun)!

Cheers, and thanks again!

• Hey @reinerspass

thanks for swinging over! 👊🏼😎
    Awesome roadmap!
    Keep up the good work!!

• @reinerspass said:
    Hey everybody,

Thanks for all your overwhelming positive comments, I'm really happy you guys enjoy the app! Also thanks a lot for your feedback regarding bugs and issues, super valuable! I'll address them ASAP, it's weekend soon, so finally some time to give Octachron some love!

• Issues with some Hosts
      There are definitely some issues with some DAW, BM3 not working properly and issues in NanoStudio 2! I'm terribly sorry about that and will address this issues first!

• Usability
      I see that some of you had issues finding how to set the parameter lock features, thanks a lot for your valuable input! Also, i'll try to come up with something like a manual or a nice in depth tutorial!

• Missing Features
      Of course i'm going to improve on the app in the future, thanks for your inspiring feature requests! Again, super valuable for me! There is definitely stuff i'd like to have for my own as well :)

• Randomiser
      • quantisation
      • universal app
    • Mapping Presets
      If you're missing mapping presets for your favourite drum machines, please let me know what you'd be interested in (@BiancaNeve, @Nicebutfun)!

Great seq, thanks very much!
    Some feature requests for your consideration :)
    -re-sync tracks option, or auto-sync on pattern change
    -shift + bottom line (vel, cc, etc) to adjust values for all steps together

Thanks again!

• @reinerspass said:
    Hey everybody,

• Issues with some Hosts

• Usability

• Missing Features

• Randomiser
      • quantisation
      • universal app
    • Mapping Presets

Cubasis classic machines and iSpark would be nice.

• Lots of potential here, thanks for a fine app. Changing step length while running crashes the node (app) for me in AUM. And I would love having the ability to set probability of individual subdivisions in a ratchet, thats what they are called? Also more mappings, it saves us lots of hassle. Thanks!

• @reinerspass said:
    Hey everybody,

• Issues with some Hosts

• Usability

• Missing Features

• Randomiser
      • quantisation
      • universal app
    • Mapping Presets

Always good to see devs engaging.

Re midi cc value per step (parameter locks). Can you clarify whether cc messages are sent before or after note on on any given step?

On the Octatrack midi sequencer, ccs are sent after the note on message - not a deal breaker but sometimes it's a pain - there are workarounds but they're not optimal.

• @ElectroHead said:

@reinerspass said:
    Hey everybody,

• Issues with some Hosts

• Usability

• Missing Features

• Randomiser
      • quantisation
      • universal app
    • Mapping Presets

Always good to see devs engaging.

Re midi cc value per step (parameter locks). Can you clarify whether cc messages are sent before or after note on on any given step?

On the Octatrack midi sequencer, ccs are sent after the note on message - not a deal breaker but sometimes it's a pain - there are workarounds but they're not optimal.

Yeah, I had the same experience with OT CCs, not with OCH. When e.g automating Tune, there were no jumping pitches, out of sync issues, it all worked as expected.

• edited May 2019

Yeah, I had the same experience with OT CCs, not with OCH. When e.g automating Tune, there were no jumping pitches, out of sync issues, it all worked as expected.

I haven't had any issues syncing gear to the OT as master. I haven't heard of OT sending out random ccs as "jumping pitches" suggests. The cc values transmitted are accurate, it's just about when they're sent. Note on, pitch bend, cc messages cannot be sent at the same time, but in a sequence. It's a design choice as to which message takes priority i.e. comes first. My layman's guess is with the OT midi sequencer, in order to achieve tight timing, note takes priority.

This isn't the case with all HW midi sequencers. I'm pretty sure the EMU Command Station sends ccs before note on, and it's timing is ace.

Hopefully the dev will clarify.

• edited May 2019

@ElectroHead said:

I haven't had any issues syncing gear to the OT as master. I haven't heard of OT sending out random ccs as "jumping pitches" suggests. The cc values transmitted are accurate, it's just about when they're sent. Note on, pitch bend, cc messages cannot be sent at the same time, but in a sequence. It's a design choice as to which message takes priority i.e. comes first. My layman's guess is with the OT midi sequencer, in order to achieve tight timing, note takes priority.

This isn't the case with all HW midi sequencers. I'm pretty The EMU Command Station sends ccs before note on, and it's timing is ace.

Hopefully the dev will clarify.

Sorry, yeah... that’s what I meant.
    Sending note and cc to automate tune caused jumping pitch, the automation seemed out of sync with the note on, a bit late.

• edited May 2019

Great app! Along with Atom, AUM is now a complete modular DAW!

Things I'd love to see in future releases:
    1. Controller mapping with midi learn.
    2. Quantized, live note input
    3. Ramped ratchet options (like Poly arp) and even more granular division options.
    4. 16 drum channels for full MV08 support.

Great start to this app @reinerspass! Really hoping this becomes central to my set up.

• Sorry, yeah... that’s what I meant.
    Sending note and cc to automate tune caused jumping pitch, the automation seemed out of sync with the note on, a bit late.

Exactly. The workaround with the OT is to place a trigless trig on the step before the step with the note trig. Not doable if all the trigs are activated, often the case in slice mode.

If the dev won't tell us, the seq of midi info can be seen in a midi monitor such as Midi Ox (free). @recccp (or anyone!) have you got the time / means to do this with the Octachron?

With the name Octachron, I think it's obvious what the dev is alluding to - an OT type seq in iOS. Nowt wrong with that, but there are some big features of the OT that aren't in this app: Trigerless triggers (they send midi cc only or LFO control - no note on), and midi LFO's (three per track).

• edited May 2019

@ElectroHead said:

Exactly. The workaround with the OT is to place a trigless trig on the step before the step with the note trig. Not doable if all the trigs are activated, often the case in slice mode.

If the dev won't tell us, the seq of midi info can be seen in a midi monitor such as Midi Ox (free). @recccp (or anyone!) have you got the time / means to do this with the Octachron?

With the name Octachron, I think it's obvious what the dev is alluding to - an OT type seq in iOS. Nowt wrong with that, but there are some big features of the OT that aren't in this app: Trigerless triggers (they send midi cc only or LFO control - no note on), and midi LFO's (three per track). Even without these features, I'd purchase if ccs come before note on and the clock out / timing is solid.

• edited May 2019

@ElectroHead said:

@ElectroHead said:

With the name Octachron, I think it's obvious what the dev is alluding to - an OT type seq in iOS. Nowt wrong with that, but there are some big features of the OT that aren't in this app: Trigerless triggers (they send midi cc only or LFO control - no note on), and midi LFO's (three per track). Even without these features, I'd purchase if ccs come before note on and the clock out / timing is solid.

Here is a quick video... all good, so pretty sure ccs being sent before notes.
    No trigerless triggers (last step doesn't send cc). Same cc value sent for step repeat.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/396gwcgdn2k7v9u/RPReplay_Final1557492938.MP4?dl=0

Edit:
    Yep... according to their own free MIDISpy CCs sent first then note.

• @recccp said:

Here is a quick video... all good, so pretty sure ccs being sent before notes.
    No trigerless triggers (last step doesn't send cc). Same cc value sent for step repeat.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/396gwcgdn2k7v9u/RPReplay_Final1557492938.MP4?dl=0

Edit:
    Yep... according to their own free MIDISpy CCs sent first then note.

Excellent! Many thanks for that @recccp. With the cc priority and the visual feedback of all tracks, this is looking like a better option than the OT for sequencing hw drum machines. Must have a solid clock though.