Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Velocity Keyboard by Ngo Minh Ngoc

Comments

• Hello @Blue_Mangoo ,

After regularly using Velocity Keyboard (one of my most used apps), I came up with an idea that could even improve further the core of your already wonderful app.
    Have you ever thought of using the internal microphone in addition to the accelerometers ?
    By taping harder and harder on the screen surface, the sound produced by the finger is louder and louder.

Below is myself taping crescendo on my iPhone :

If you could include this information in addition to accelerometers data, maybe you could achieve a better result in velocity sensing, particularly when the iPad is not on a soft surface and cannot benefit from the recoil.

Hope this makes sens ! :)

• @gosnote said:

@LFS said:
    Hi @gosnote, Hi all,

It looks like somebody of you filed a full detailed bug report at our forum, correct?

Problem recording midi from standalone controller app (Velocity Keyboard & others)
    https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=300&t=182894

Will share and discuss the topic with the team.

Best,
    Lars

Hello @LFS and @Blue_Mangoo ! Have you had a chance to exchange about this issue? Thanks for your support.

Hello @LFS and @Blue_Mangoo - the recent update 1.3 (where I understand an attempt was made to fix the issue) does not fix the problem I described earlier here on the Cubasis 3 forum. I have already reported this to @Blue_Mangoo.

• fyi....use a soft piece of foam beneath the ipad....the interface is much more empathetic . The softer the better.

• @kurth said:
    fyi....use a soft piece of foam beneath the ipad....the interface is much more empathetic . The softer the better.

Hello,

Yes, thank you. But I already know that.
    Here I am just talking about a sort of fundamental technological improvement (may it be doable or not...).

Regards.

• edited September 2020

Dear @Blue_Mangoo ,

I cannot find Velocity Keyboard as MIDI input inside Apematrix host.
    In AU mode, no problem but in standalone mode, Velocity Keyboard is not exposed as MIDI IN in the Apematrix MIDI IN sources menu.
    Otherwise, I still can select "Apematrix" in the Destination menu of Velocity Keyboard.

Is it normal ? Or do I miss something ? Can anybody confirm this ? Is it on Blu Mangoo or Apesoft side ? Thanks a lot !

• @Paulo164 said:
    Hello @Blue_Mangoo ,

After regularly using Velocity Keyboard (one of my most used apps), I came up with an idea that could even improve further the core of your already wonderful app.
    Have you ever thought of using the internal microphone in addition to the accelerometers ?
    By taping harder and harder on the screen surface, the sound produced by the finger is louder and louder.

Below is myself taping crescendo on my iPhone :

If you could include this information in addition to accelerometers data, maybe you could achieve a better result in velocity sensing, particularly when the iPad is not on a soft surface and cannot benefit from the recoil.

Hope this makes sens ! :)

@Paulo164 that would introduce x2 additional latency. (noticeable to unplayable in large buffers >256)
    It would be useful on 64 buffer size ,but still if you use other usb interface the mic input is not used.
    (although Audiobus supports both built in and external interface)

A question for Velocity Keyboard Y axis users (or @Blue_Mangoo ) :

Can you set the range of the Y axis ? Also what if you swipe up or down and touch other notes? Will they be ignored or triggered ?
    When you slide left or right , can you play with the Y axis or touch radius ?
    And last one combination : Can you play with Y axis and touch radius at the same time?

• @Korakios said:

@Paulo164 that would introduce x2 additional latency. (noticeable to unplayable in large buffers >256)
    It would be useful on 64 buffer size ,but still if you use other usb interface the mic input is not used.
    (although Audiobus supports both built in and external interface)

Not sure it would introduce much more latency than accelerometers, since it would be measured at the same time.
    The difficulties for me are :

• how to hack the internal mic when other devices (usb/mics...) are plugged ?
    • how to get rid off ambiant noise (ie. during a live performance), not to interfere ?

A question for Velocity Keyboard Y axis users (or @Blue_Mangoo ) :

Can you set the range of the Y axis ? I would say Yes, although not as precisely as with GeoShred. Also what if you swipe up or down and touch other notes? Will they be ignored or triggered ? Triggered
    When you slide left or right , can you play with the Y axis or touch radius ? both
    And last one combination : Can you play with Y axis and touch radius at the same time? Yes

• edited October 2020

@Paulo164 said:
    Not sure it would introduce much more latency than accelerometers, since it would be measured at the same time.

When using an audio interface , the builtin for example , the host or the app sets the buffer size.
    So, when using a 256 buffer at 44100 you have ~5.5ms latency for both the audio in and out
    That means that the VK app has to wait ~5.5 additional ms to calculate the transient and translate it to the sound even if the accelerometer is quicker .
    Edit: So it will translate it to midi information and then the iOS synth will output sound after another ~5.5ms.
    VK can't grub the audio faster than the buffer size ,so only solution would be using 64 buffer which iOS doesn't really like it!
    Hope it makes sense :)

@Paulo164 said:
    how to hack the internal mic when other devices (usb/mics...) are plugged ?

As mentioned , Audiobus already does it

@Paulo164 said:
    how to get rid off ambiant noise (ie. during a live performance), not to interfere ?

Ambient noise will always be problem , even with bandEQ filtering . A piezo would be better on the back of the ipad and placing a foam underneath to absorb live bass frequencies
    Also the user would need to mess with "Measurement Mode" to disable autogain on the mic.

Thanks for the info. It seems VK will replace my Roli :) , I'd love seeing a setting to lock note when performing Y axis expression (or on sustain mode) and provide a release velocity based on radius

• Soooo, has anyone tried Velocity Keyboard with GeoShred SWAM sounds ?

• @Korakios said:
    Soooo, has anyone tried Velocity Keyboard with GeoShred SWAM sounds ?

Yes. But the result doesn't sound very natural. It's much better with Geoshred keyboard

• @Korakios said:

You get velocity but you loose other controls.
    I found it was best to stick with GeoShred and surprisingly didn’t miss the lack of velocity along z axis.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@nondes said:
    @Blue_Mangoo Please reconsider adding note names for notes and sharps. With drum mode, it's even harder to select a pitch mapping without having a note label to tell what's mapped.

Per earlier, this would also be helpful for scales mode. Thanks.

Thanks for suggesting it. If we can think of a way to label it that fits together with the aesthetic of the app then we will do it.

Could you perhaps add a dot in the upper right hand corner of a note to indicate sharp, and a dot in the lower right corner to indicate flat?

• VK is closing itself or switching to another au or giving me an AUM menu. I have gestures turned off in my iPad settings. Is there an AUM multi-finger gesture that is doing this?

Also, I keep getting stuck notes. It really, really needs a kill button. When they get stuck, often I need to shut down and restart one or more apps. It is very frustrating.

• @Paulo164 said:

@Korakios said:

You get velocity but you loose other controls.
    I found it was best to stick with GeoShred and surprisingly didn’t miss the lack of velocity along z axis.

Geoshred gives you Velocity on the Y Axis anyway if you turn on Finger Expression! VK is great for everything other than SWAM though

• I was interested mainly in the radius feature of the VK for the SWAM sounds (somehow I missed the previous answers ,thanks :) )

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:
    VK is closing itself or switching to another au or giving me an AUM menu. I have gestures turned off in my iPad settings. Is there an AUM multi-finger gesture that is doing this?

Also, I keep getting stuck notes. It really, really needs a kill button. When they get stuck, often I need to shut down and restart one or more apps. It is very frustrating.

So true.

• edited December 2020

@Blue_Mangoo I have been velocity KB user for long time.. The only addtional feature I was hoping (compared to Geoshred) is to show note for all buttons.. Rather than showing only a few note names.. Highlighting note names with some jazzy light spark is not that useful for me (like Geoshred does).. But showing all note names can be very useful..

• @sujoybose77 said:
    @Blue_Mangoo I have been velocity KB user for long time.. The only addtional feature I was hoping (compared to Geoshred) is to show note for all buttons.. Rather than showing only a few note names.. Highlighting pressed note with some jazzy light spark is not that useful for me (like Geoshred does).. But showing all note names can be very useful..

• Updated. Which is great because I stopped using this and it was my favorite

• Think I found a bug. Kb tuned in fourths, 10 rows, 15 columns, C mixolydian, driving NeoSoul. With kb set at +1 the problem is most noticeable, but occurs in other octaves as well:

The F in the right-most column doesn’t trigger its note correctly. It seems to be sending a note-bend signal along with the note.

• edited December 2020

Anyone still having trouble with volt and velocity keyboard?

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr — Can you confirm, please. I know you are deep in with MPE

• @audiobussy said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr — Can you confirm, please. I know you are deep in with MPE

Volt is working better with Velocity since the update. Shockwave still hangs. It seems to be the sus pedal. If I don’t touch that then Shockwave is reasonably stable. Bugs aside, these two apps really have a synergy with Vkb. Shockwave especially is very good for leads.

I still get spontaneous keyboard closures with polyphonic apps if I play more than three notes simultaneously. It’s extremely annoying.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@audiobussy said:

Volt is working better with Velocity since the update. Shockwave still hangs. It seems to be the sus pedal. If I don’t touch that then Shockwave is reasonably stable. Bugs aside, these two apps really have a synergy with Vkb. Shockwave especially is very good for leads.

I still get spontaneous keyboard closures with polyphonic apps if I play more than three notes simultaneously. It’s extremely annoying.

Still badly want VK to save state properly. Without that it loses a lot of its convenience unless you always use the same setup and don't use different scales etc in different sessions.

• @Gavinski said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@audiobussy said:

Still badly want VK to save state properly. Without that it loses a lot of its convenience unless you always use the same setup and don't use different scales etc in different sessions.

Are presets not working for you?

• I just want it to remember the state is was saved in in a particular session like every single AUv3 app is supposed to. I shouldn't have to save presets for different sessions. The app currently always defaults to whatever were the settings in the last used session. It doesn't remember different states for different sessions.

• @oddSTAR said:

Also on the topic of scales, one of the reasons that the Animoog keyboard is my favorite controller is that it allows you to select precisely which notes are active in an octave as opposed to defined scales. As a musician who plays by ear, I know which notes I want active but not what scale or mode I'm playing in. Custom scales would make me really happy...

All apps should have custom scales and diatonic keyboards. Moog and SynthScaper do it right; very few others are on the ball. I don’t understand the dev’s resistance. There is no shortage of great music that stays in one scale.

• @Gavinski said:
    I just want it to remember the state is was saved in in a particular session like every single AUv3 app is supposed to. I shouldn't have to save presets for different sessions. The app currently always defaults to whatever were the settings in the last used session. It doesn't remember different states for different sessions.

Agreed. It doesn't even remember it's octave setting.

• @Gavinski said:
    I just want it to remember the state is was saved in in a particular session like every single AUv3 app is supposed to. I shouldn't have to save presets for different sessions. The app currently always defaults to whatever were the settings in the last used session. It doesn't remember different states for different sessions.

Yeah, it should work like it’s supposed to. I don’t think it’s a reason not to buy it though. Setup is very quick and easy.

• Yeah but going back to an old session where I had something set up I may not remember what scale or key it was in. I've been caught off guard a few times by this when I started playing a custom keyboard and thought, this is completely not in key....

• Really impressed with how easy it is to set up custom scales in Riffer, unfortunately this was one thing I forgot to cover in my tutorial video. As you say, all apps should allow easy set up of custom scales.