Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wiki discussion forum

@Michael has created a new forum topic: wiki.

This topic is for discussions related to wiki content creation. Come on in, the water's fine.

Comments

• I'm all questions at this point.

Did we reached a decision on the "Sandbox" vs "Playground" namespaces for folks to start with?

Should we move Knowledge Base "articles" as @LinearLineman likes to call them to the "sandbox" first or pick a namespace that makes sense?

@wim proposed some "namespaces" should that get discussed and implemented in some form?

I'm OK with someone taking some level of control that has experience with Wiki's so we can make some progress as a group.

• I have created pages and posted them to the wiki here:
    https://wiki.audiob.us/app_tutorials

It’s a work in progress and there’s room for improvement and expanding on any number of topics and posts. It might be useful for people to look at some of those pages and provide feedback as to what does and doesn’t work for them.

• I (somewhat begrudgingly) proposed a namespace structure. But @espiegel123 says he has one that is simpler. If it’s simpler it has my vote. I say go for it, clean up the clutter that is in the namespaces now and, if possible, restrict the ability to create new namespaces.

The next step would be to create a “home” page for each namespace with a brief description of the types of documents that should go there. And link the home pages on the wiki main home page.

Sandbox or Playground. Don’t care. Pick one and done.

Content creators should post into the root name space or the sandbox or playground, but keep in mind any links you post may need to be changed when moved to the appropriate namespace.

• Does anyone know if Dokuwiki has a “permalink” capability? In other wikis I’ve worked with I seem to remember each page had an alternate permanent and unique URL. This URL never changes even if the page is moved. If that was the case, then it mitigates one of my concerns.

• @wim said:
    Does anyone know if Dokuwiki has a “permalink” capability? In other wikis I’ve worked with I seem to remember each page had an alternate permanent and unique URL. This URL never changes even if the page is moved. If that was the case, then it mitigates one of my concerns.

Dokuwiki, unlike mediawiki and most other wikis actually uses files rather than a database. It has tools for moving pages that maintains internal links when pages are moved using it. It also optionally can leave behind a redirect.

• wimwim
    edited May 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:
    Does anyone know if Dokuwiki has a “permalink” capability? In other wikis I’ve worked with I seem to remember each page had an alternate permanent and unique URL. This URL never changes even if the page is moved. If that was the case, then it mitigates one of my concerns.

Dokuwiki, unlike mediawiki and most other wikis actually uses files rather than a database. It has tools for moving pages that maintains internal links when pages are moved using it. It also optionally can leave behind a redirect.

OK, that’s what I thought, but wanted to check. Surely pages will be linked to from outside the wiki so redirect pages will be needed as a matter of habit when things are moved between namespaces. More clutter. So all the more reason to have a very simple structure that isn’t going to result in moves.

• Docuwiki is cool. If you want to move articles from the mobile music wiki, once again, here is the link:

http://mobilemusic.wikia.com/

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    Docuwiki is cool. If you want to move articles from the mobile music wiki, once again, here is the link:

http://mobilemusic.wikia.com/

Feel free to move any content you want! The more the merrier.

• It is now possible to embed SoundCloud player links -- though it is a bit of a hassle. I have added info about how to do it on the Author Tips page.

• Apparently an edit made by @McD on a post I made snapped back to the original. Anyone know why this is happening?

• @LinearLineman said:
    Apparently an edit made by @McD on a post I made snapped back to the original. Anyone know why this is happening?

No idea. There is a page history link for every page and lets you compare revisions.

• @espiegel123 said:

@LinearLineman said:
    Apparently an edit made by @McD on a post I made snapped back to the original. Anyone know why this is happening?

No idea. There is a page history link for every page and lets you compare revisions.

I think this is the sequence of events.

1. @Paulinko moved content related to Sampled Pianos from the KB to the Wiki
      It had a link creating @LinearLineman.
    2. @LinearLineman had gotten large portions of the KB text from something I wrote and asked me to change the credit in the wiki.
    3. I edited the page in the Wiki and just removed credit since it was an original group writing effort from a Forum thread.
    4. @Paulinko probably did some cleanup on the page in his offline editor and just moved an edited replacement in and the credit line is back in the wiki: Not knowing about this issue.

So, I would ask @infocheck to perform a final edit to close out the issue and relieve @LinearLineman from getting credit for words he didn't author. For the careful reader
    it's obvious that the writing is substandard but he's to kind to state the root issue clearly.

Or If the line persists and the page is stable I'll take another shot at deleting the first credit line again in a couple days.

• @McD : the page won't move. So, edit at will.

I recommend that we use the tag "stub" to tag articles that are placeholders or quickly put together and needing polish or unfinished and needing work.

It can be a handy way for people to find ways to contribute both creating useful stubs and fleshing out existing ones.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @McD : the page won't move. So, edit at will.

I recommend that we use the tag "stub" to tag articles that are placeholders or quickly put together and needing polish or unfinished and needing work.

It can be a handy way for people to find ways to contribute both creating useful stubs and fleshing out existing ones.

I soften the "credit" a tad making it more of a tribute to a lover of all things pianistic.

• @McD said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @McD : the page won't move. So, edit at will.

I soften the "credit" a tad making it more of a tribute to a lover of all things pianistic.

All I did was take the text from a post by @LinearLineman in the knowledge base thread and tried to interpret where the line breaks should be and how it was structured in terms of topics and sub-topics. @LinearLineman played no role in telling me it was or wasn’t something he did. In the notes for page, I wrote about how I wasn’t too confident that I’d done an adequate interpretation and that I hoped someone else could significantly improve upon what I’d posted.

• @InfoCheck said:
    All I did was take the text from a post by @LinearLineman in the knowledge base thread and tried to interpret where the line breaks should be and how it was structured in terms of topics and sub-topics. @LinearLineman played no role in telling me it was or wasn’t something he did. In the notes for page, I wrote about how I wasn’t too confident that I’d done an adequate interpretation and that I hoped someone else could significantly improve upon what I’d posted.

You did an excellent job. He just felt bad seeing the credit for the words. I love your work
    on the Wiki. Top job and an examples for all who follow in your steps helping others.

• edited May 2019

@McD said:

@InfoCheck said:

You did an excellent job. He just felt bad seeing the credit for the words. I love your work
    on the Wiki. Top job and an examples for all who follow in your steps helping others.

I reposted the page and listed from knowledge base post. Let me know or have someone else add the appropriate attributions.

https://wiki.audiob.us/piano_sample_instrument

• edited May 2019

@InfoCheck said:

@McD said:

@InfoCheck said:

I reposted the page and listed from knowledge base post. Let me know or have someone else add the appropriate attributions.

https://wiki.audiob.us/piano_sample_instrument

Thank you for your kind words but to be honest, I didn’t bother to read the manual for the wiki and got a lot of things wrong because of it. @espiegel123 and others have educated me and I’ve attempted to make amends for the error of my ways. If I would have just RFMed, none of this would have happened.

Probably should have read the whole thread here before reposting my last saved edit of the page with the revised credits to the best of my knowledge meaning I just copied the thread posted to the knowledge base by @LinearLineman. Sorry about that.

• @InfoCheck @McD: it looks like there was some work happening in parallel. I had renamed the page "piano_sample_instrument" article to have the title that @LinearLineman used on the post and did some format tweaking.

I've incorporated the @infoCheck recent changes to it and renamed it to:
    https://wiki.audiob.us/ios_piano_thoughts

Hope that is ok

• I at least enjoyed reading about the finer considerations of the piano sampler app instrument comparisons. I recall reading the original threads as well as watching Doug’s reviews of these apps. I just had faith that whatever deficiencies there were in what I’d posted the other forum members would pick up the slack and polish the material up.

• edited May 2019

@espiegel123 said:
    @InfoCheck @McD: it looks like there was some work happening in parallel. I had renamed the page "piano_sample_instrument" article to have the title that @LinearLineman used on the post and did some format tweaking.

I've incorporated the @infoCheck recent changes to it and renamed it to:
    https://wiki.audiob.us/ios_piano_thoughts

Hope that is ok

That’s cool by me, my contribution was pretty much some copying and pasting sprinkled with lots of attribution confusion.

• It's looking great and the tutorials serve as great templates for additional entries.

I'm enjoying the Tag cloud to see the big ideas and consider areas deserving more input.
    This makes is clear what Tags bring to navigating since they have statistical significance and I didn't get that initially. I thought the Wiki linking was sufficient but this cloud is great.

I hope @espiegel123 is given access to the CSS to tweak the appearance or add styles.

We just need a videographer to make some training along the lines of the Dokuwiki videos but specific to our community. I'll Patreon support anyone that takes on the challenge because the audience is probably 10-20 max. An extra $3-10 in monthly support might justify doing the work. Every YouTube creator should create a page in our Wiki and fit the
    videos into the mix of content.

• @McD said:
    It's looking great and the tutorials serve as great templates for additional entries.

I'm enjoying the Tag cloud to see the big ideas and consider areas deserving more input.
    This makes is clear what Tags bring to navigating since they have statistical significance and I didn't get that initially. I thought the Wiki linking was sufficient but this cloud is great.

I hope @espiegel123 is given access to the CSS to tweak the appearance or add styles.

We just need a videographer to make some training along the lines of the Dokuwiki videos but specific to our community. I'll Patreon support anyone that takes on the challenge because the audience is probably 10-20 max. An extra $3-10 in monthly support might justify doing the work. Every YouTube creator should create a page in our Wiki and fit the
    videos into the mix of content.

While I have some skills on some content creation fronts, appearance and design aren't among them. So, we probably don't want me tweaking appearance. Dokuwiki's styling is set up a little unusually and some of the plugins (like tag cloud) don't have their css/styling configurable from within dokuwiki -- even for admins. I am going to do a little research. There may be a plugin that I don't know about that overrides the usual style handling. I am still getting up to speed on some of the Dokuwiki features added since the last time that I set one up from scratch.

I am working on some stuff to make it easier for people to get pages started and add to some pages without needing to know any wiki authoring stuff. Basically, fill in a few form fields to get a page started with some basic information that more active contributors can add to.

I'd also like to get a page or pages going for "forum gold"

• @espiegel123 said:
    I am working on some stuff to make it easier for people to get pages started
    I'd also like to get a page or pages going for "forum gold"

Good ideas. There's some great content that deserves to be in a KB format.