Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Frank Zappa / The Peripatetic Scholar

edited May 2019 in Other

What influenced Frank Zappa? Everything!

Comments

• Just watched this last week. Very good.

• Bumping.... this is a must see for those interested in the evolution of a musical conception. Zappa is unique in the annals of rock.

• @LinearLineman you may enjoy this too. House party in the last year of his all to short life.

Frank Zappa - Salad Party Home Video Feb 15th 1993 (Unreleaased Footage), with Chieftains, Huun Huur (Tuva Singers) and Johnny Guitar Watson as guests.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Bumping.... this is a must see for those interested in the evolution of a musical conception. Zappa is unique in the annals of rock.

List from freak out cover.

The Freak Out List by Frank Zappa

Pamela Zarubica
    Art Laboe
    Hal Zeiger
    Jim Guercio
    Henry Vestine
    Alice Stewart [Stuart]
    Lillian Rudolph
    Mark Cheka
    Herb Cohen
    Tom Wilson
    Fyllis
    Lucille
    Jack Tillar
    Don Cerveris
    Vic Mortenson [Mortensen]
    Terry Kirkman
    Frankie Lee Simms
    Sonny Boy Williamson
    Buddy Guy
    Albert Collins
    Little Walter
    Maurice Ravel
    Joe Polly

Don & Dewey
    Lee Zagon
    Steve Mann
    Skip Diamond
    Silvestre Revueltas
    Arnold Schoenberg
    Joe Perrino
    Jerry Ullberg
    Donna #1
    Donna #2
    Loeb & Leopold
    Sacco & Vanzetti
    Gene & Eunice
    Robert Craft
    Carl Greenhouse
    Dave Aerni
    Bob Keene [Keane]
    Nick Venet
    Jim Economides
    Alois Haba [H�ba]
    Leo Ornstein
    Elvis Presley
    Barry McGuire

Don Julian
    Tiny Tim
    Cordwainer Smith
    Theodore Sturgeon
    Robert Sheckley
    Randy De Wees
    Dick Barber
    Eberhard Kronhausen
    Yves Tanguy
    Lenny Bruce
    Ravi Shankar
    Chatur Lal
    N. C. Mullick
    Jules Feiffer
    The Bokelmans
    Floyd
    Ernie Tosi
    Shirley Eiler
    Mr. Ballard
    Brian Epstein
    David Crosby
    Herman Rudin
    Joe De Santis

Bruce Gordon
    Frank De Cova [DeKova]
    Roland Kirk
    Wolfman Jack
    Snuff Garret
    Molly Bee
    Ernie Freeman
    Lew Irwin
    Fred C. Dobbs
    John Tasker Howard
    Cecil Forsythe
    Charles Brown
    James Joyce
    George Di Carl
    Diane Baker
    Melvin Belli
    Bulent Arel [B�lent]
    Mauricio Kagel
    Leonard Allen
    Dr. Brossman
    Jerry Murnane
    Uncle Ed
    The Hypnotist

Animal Huxley
    Salvador Dali [Dal�]
    Vincent Persichetti
    Carol
    Sabicas
    Charles Middleton
    Lance Reardon
    Sabu
    J. Arthur Rank
    Luigi Nono
    Sylvia Brigham
    Steffie
    Avedis Zildjian
    Little Arthur Matthews
    Bob Dylan
    Joan Baez
    Bill Stulla
    Rosemarie De Camp [Rosemary DeCamp]
    Bobby Jamieson
    B. Mitchell Reed [Mitchel]
    Cordy
    Ruthie
    Joyce

Jesse Kaye
    Phil Spector
    Evy
    Lyn Johnson
    Pete
    Leonard Gorczyca
    Don Vliet
    Pepper
    Lauren
    Charles Mingus
    Pierre Boulez
    Anton Webern
    Igor Stravinsky
    Willie Dixon
    Guitar Slim
    Edgar Varese
    Muddy Waters
    Howlin' Wolf
    Elmer Valentine
    Phil Tanzini
    John Beck
    Mario
    Bob Reiner

Eric Dolphy
    Bram Stoker
    Cecil Taylor
    Bill Evans
    Johnny Otis
    Preston Love
    Slim Harpo
    Karl Kohn
    Bob Narciso
    Johnny Guitar Watson
    Tim Sullivan
    Sonny Tufts
    John Wayne
    Clarence Gatemouth Brown
    Junior Madeo
    Jeff Harris
    Bobby Atler
    Daddy-o Curtis Crump
    Karlheinz Stockhausen
    Joe Huston
    Chuck Higgins
    Big Jay McNeely

Jim Sherwood
    Sandy Schwanekamp
    Nadine Reyes
    Kaye Sherman
    Donald Woods
    Richard Berry
    Huggy Boy
    Vernon Greene [Green]
    Hunter Hancock
    Willie Mae Thornton
    Lightnin' Slim
    Roger Huntington Sessions
    Charles Ives
    Lawrence Ferlinghetti
    Terry Wimberly
    Johnny Franklin
    Teddy Bunn
    Jeepers
    Paul Buff

• MK Ultra :D

Zappa is my favourite composer.

After Camille Saint Saens ;)

• Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

- FZ

Truer words have never been spoken. We miss you, Frank.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Bumping.... this is a must see for those interested in the evolution of a musical conception. Zappa is unique in the annals of rock.

Great, will watch this later. Big fan, I’ve picked up almost all of his albums over the years, which wasn’t cheap.

‘The dialectics of poodle play’ is a good, obsessive read if you’re into him, and the BBC documentary is good too:

• @Moderndaycompiler
    Thanks for the extensive list!
    I guess it could be reduced to about 10 people that had significant influence to FZ's characteristic style.

We can learn from him that if one wants to create something exceptional, it's a good idea not to focus on the average mainstream.

He repeatedly said that in his music, anything could happen anytime in no particular order, and that describes his works quite well.
    Also, let's not forget the fantastic musicians in his bands who have contributed a lot to make his music even more enjoyable over the years.

• @rs2000 said:
    Also, let's not forget the fantastic musicians in his bands who have contributed a lot to make his music even more enjoyable over the years.

Yep.

Roxy The Movie really shows how good that particular band he had was.

Such a shame about Roy Estrada, guy was insanely talented.

• A C20th auteur, a 'musician's musician' if ever there was one.

I always feel for those who just 'don't get it', admittedly for some there's a fair few scatological & distinctly 'un PC' hurdles to get over first :D

Persevere & you will inevitably discover a 'gateway' track into a dense, rich musical world, it's well worth the effort.
    Been listening for 30+ years & still not bored.

Six minutes of unadulterated beauty ...

• edited May 2019

@MonzoPro said:

@LinearLineman said:

Great, will watch this later. Big fan, I’ve picked up almost all of his albums over the years, which wasn’t cheap.

‘The dialectics of poodle play’ is a good, obsessive read if you’re into him, and the BBC documentary is good too:

Far easier going than 'The Negative Dialectics' but straight from the source & a highly entertaining read, even if you're not necessarily a fan of the music.

http://pierroule.com/ZappaRealBook/TheRFZBook.htm

"This book exists on the premise that somebody, somewhere, is interested in who I am, how I got that way, and what the fuck I'm talking about.

To answer Imaginary Question Number One, let me begin by explaining WHO I AM NOT. Here are two popular 'Frank Zappa Legends'. . .

Because I recorded a song called "Son of Mr. Green Genes" on the Hot Rats album in 1969, people have believed for years that the character with that name on the Captain Kangaroo TV show (played by Lumpy Brannum) was my 'real' Dad. No, he was not.

The other fantasy is that I once 'took a shit on stage.' This has been propounded with many variations, including (but not limited to):

[1] I ate shit on stage.

[2] I had a 'gross-out contest' (what the fuck is a 'gross-out contest'?) with Captain Beefheart and we both ate shit on stage.

[3] I had a 'gross-out contest' with Alice Cooper and he stepped on baby chickens and then I ate shit on stage, etc.

I was in a London club called the Speak Easy in 1967 or '68. A member of a group called the Flock, recording for Columbia at the time, came over to me and said:

"You're fantastic. When I heard about you eating that shit on stage, I thought, 'That guy is way, way out there.'

I said, "I never ate shit on stage." He looked really depressed -- like I had just broken his heart.

For the records, folks: I never took a shit on stage, and the closest I ever came to eating shit anywhere was at a Holiday Inn buffet in Fayetteville, North Carolina, in 1973."

• edited May 2019

@Paul16 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@LinearLineman said:

Far easier going than 'The Negative Dialectics' but straight from the source & a highly entertaining read, even if you're not necessarily a fan of the music.

Yeah got that one too ;)

Pauline Butcher’s book is an interesting read - pretty lightweight, Hello magazine stuff, but a nice insight into the early years of the Zappa Mother’s communal years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Freak-Out-Life-Frank-Zappa/dp/0859654796

• edited May 2019

@MonzoPro said:

@Paul16 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@LinearLineman said:

Yeah got that one too ;)

Pauline Butcher’s book is an interesting read - pretty lightweight, Hello magazine stuff, but a nice insight into the early years of the Zappa Mother’s communal years.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Freak-Out-Life-Frank-Zappa/dp/0859654796

Yeah, I've got that one too & a few more. It's a nice bit of background to 60's life in Laurel Canyon.

Don't get me started, I'll be 'waxing lyrical' to his genius endlessly :D :D :D

• @Moderndaycompiler said:
    @LinearLineman you may enjoy this too. House party in the last year of his all to short life.

Frank Zappa - Salad Party Home Video Feb 15th 1993 (Unreleaased Footage), with Chieftains, Huun Huur (Tuva Singers) and Johnny Guitar Watson as guests.

Some of the recordings he made of the Tuvan throat singers ended up on this posthumously released LP, I believe this was also his final recorded guitar solo.

• edited May 2019

Great to see the Zappa fans deploy! Did I miss Schoenberg on the list? He was a biggy for Frank.

• Had to write an essay on any composer of our choice for our History of Western Music final back in college. Chose Zappa. Got an A.

• @Cliffy said:
    Had to write an essay on any composer of our choice for our History of Western Music final back in college. Chose Zappa. Got an A.

Hahaha, good work ! Similarly managed to work it into a degree dissertation once upon a time - entitled ‘FZ & the MOI’s commentary on American counterculture of the 1960’s’, or something along those lines.