Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Thoughts on the Akai Professional MPD218 Pad Controller?

I’m considering purchasing the Akai Professional MPD218 Pad Controller, sometime in the future when I actually have money again, and was just wondering if, in your opinion, is this a good choice for a midi pad controller? Are there any other midi pad controllers that you would recommend over this particular product? I am not able to get along with using pads on the iPad surface, as I need to feel actual physical pads under my fingers. Thank you for any and all replies. I’m very interested in getting BeatMaker 3, and iMaschine 2, and being able to access them via a midi pad controller.

Comments

  • They're pretty good, although I opted for the MPD226 because it's easier to configure without needing to hook it up to a computer. This site has lots of good info, scroll down to see videos on the MPD218 and many others:

    http://www.xpresspads.com/finger-drumming-video/

  • edited May 6

    @richardyot said:
    They're pretty good, although I opted for the MPD226 because it's easier to configure without needing to hook it up to a computer. This site has lots of good info, scroll down to see videos on the MPD218 and many others:

    http://www.xpresspads.com/finger-drumming-video/

    Thank you for the reply, as the only pad controller I have experience with is the Maschine MK3, which of course is not compatible with iOS, and so I know nothing about my options. And I would like a controller that works 100% with iOS, without needing a computer.

  • edited May 6

    @richardyot said:
    They're pretty good, although I opted for the MPD226 because it's easier to configure without needing to hook it up to a computer. This site has lots of good info, scroll down to see videos on the MPD218 and many others:

    http://www.xpresspads.com/finger-drumming-video/

    That is an important consideration. I would say though that I only hooked the 218 up to a computer once. I had the midi notes and cc's clear that I needed it to do, put those in and that was it.

    I used it with the iPad for a while. No problem with it. I only really pulled it off the setup because I couldn't deal with mini keys and had to go to an Akai MPK 225. I'd prefer 16 pads, but I NEEED bigger keys. I still have it though. Using it with the computer. I had had an electronic drum set, but I've gotten much better at finger drumming. Had more of a history playing regular drums, but I'm up to speed on the fingering now.

  • To be clear, I already have Maschine MK3 for use with pc, so my only interest in another midi pad controller, is which one is best strictly for iOS? At least in your opinions.

  • @Ripper7620 said:
    To be clear, I already have Maschine MK3 for use with pc, so my only interest in another midi pad controller, is which one is best strictly for iOS? At least in your opinions.

    Well the advantage of the MPD226 is you can configure everything on the device itself, no need for a computer at all. It also has a special low-power mode for iOS devices so that you can use it directly into the Lightning port without needing a hub. And it has MPC pads, so it's pretty good for iPad finger-drumming.

  • I’ve recently bought the MPD218. It also has a low power mode to use on iOS without a hub - but you will need a Camera connection dongle.

    I’ve only really used it a bit in Gadget and also Stagelight. It’s seemed to have the right notes already set up for triggering drum kits so that’s been no bother.

    I’ve used MIDi learn a bit to adjust fx setting / cutoff etc. This is all well and good if your iPad app has midi learn - otherwise you’d need to plug the 218 into the PC/Mac to set up the correct CCs.

    I think it’s a decent unit

  • @richardyot said:

    @Ripper7620 said:
    To be clear, I already have Maschine MK3 for use with pc, so my only interest in another midi pad controller, is which one is best strictly for iOS? At least in your opinions.

    Well the advantage of the MPD226 is you can configure everything on the device itself, no need for a computer at all. It also has a special low-power mode for iOS devices so that you can use it directly into the Lightning port without needing a hub. And it has MPC pads, so it's pretty good for iPad finger-drumming.

    Thank you very much for the reply, I’ve looked into the MPD226, and it appears to be the best choice for me. I have the camera adapter, but even so, being able to bypass the extra apparatus, is an added bonus, I believe I’m sold.

  • @ricksteruk said:
    I’ve recently bought the MPD218. It also has a low power mode to use on iOS without a hub - but you will need a Camera connection dongle.

    I’ve only really used it a bit in Gadget and also Stagelight. It’s seemed to have the right notes already set up for triggering drum kits so that’s been no bother.

    I’ve used MIDi learn a bit to adjust fx setting / cutoff etc. This is all well and good if your iPad app has midi learn - otherwise you’d need to plug the 218 into the PC/Mac to set up the correct CCs.

    I think it’s a decent unit

    Thank you very much for the reply, I’m very strongly leaning towards the MPD226 at this point, even though it’s more money, it at least has the appearance of giving you what you pay for, but of course, I can be swayed in another direction very easily, given my lack of understanding.

  • I have the 218 and don't like it. Get a used korg padkontrol instead, far better.
    On 218 the pads are hard and can't squeeze them. They look fat but it's just eye candy. The older mpd 18 had better feel but they didn't trigger well on the pad's edge and needed some modding.
    Also the 218 when on low power mode , the pads don't lid ...

  • I’ve got an MPC fly. Kind of fun but only up to ipad3.

  • I used an Mpd218d with my iPad. Sometimes directly connected with the low power mode or with a hub. The only issue I have is occasional double triggering of hits. This can be smoothed out somewhat by setting max velocity on all hits (button in mpd) - of course not good if you want to vary velocities! The other trick I use to workaround this is to use a midi app to filter out low velocity hits. That being said I’ve had no issues and its been thrown in suitcases and travelled around a fair bit.

  • @Korakios said:
    I have the 218 and don't like it. Get a used korg padkontrol instead, far better.
    On 218 the pads are hard and can't squeeze them. They look fat but it's just eye candy. The older mpd 18 had better feel but they didn't trigger well on the pad's edge and needed some modding.
    Also the 218 when on low power mode , the pads don't lid ...

    Thank you very much for your recommendation, I will absolutely look into this Korg an alternative.

  • @d4d0ug said:
    I used an Mpd218d with my iPad. Sometimes directly connected with the low power mode or with a hub. The only issue I have is occasional double triggering of hits. This can be smoothed out somewhat by setting max velocity on all hits (button in mpd) - of course not good if you want to vary velocities! The other trick I use to workaround this is to use a midi app to filter out low velocity hits. That being said I’ve had no issues and its been thrown in suitcases and travelled around a fair bit.

    If I do get a pad controller, I’ve decided that it’s worth it to get the best that’s reasonably priced. And by “best”, what I mean exactly, is how good the pads feel and respond to touching. It’s a crying shame I can’t use my Maschine MK3, because IMO, it is absolutely perfect the way it comes from the factory, I’ve never felt the need to adjust the pad velocities, it’s just dead on perfect.

Sign In or Register to comment.