Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Thinking about buying Drums

edited May 2019 in Other

This is related to the guitar thread. I am thinking of buying an electronic drum set. It pretty much has to be electronic as I plan on living in apartments for the next 5 years. I have taken about 2 months of lessons and practiced on and off on a couple of drum pads I bought. I feel that I would really like to hear what I am playing, even if it’s with earphones on an electronic drum set.

Does anyone have any tips on style, price limitations, brands, stores, etc?

Thank you!

Comments

• An e-kit is still loud. I would check if that's going to be a problem before you make the purchase.

Personally I like the multi-pad style better than an e-kit. Like Roland SPD-SX or Nord drum.

Playing an e-kit (like a rock drummer) is about the same dB level as playing real drums with brushes or rods. Something to think about ;)

• @BroCoast said:
    An e-kit is still loud. I would check if that's going to be a problem before you make the purchase.

This is especially true for the kick drum setup, particularly is you use a real kick pedal that hits a sensor. The sound gets transmitted through the floor very easily, even with a rug underlay. Building an isolated riser might help mitigate the transmission, but then you're looking at more cost, space, etc.

• Here's a lowest cost starting point:

The KAT Pad costs about $120 and has an option to add a Bass drum trigger and a hit hat
    pedal bringing the cost up to $250. This will give you a basic drum kit with the KAT providing 4 PADs (Snare, Hi-Hat, 2 toms or ride, tom).

The full MIDI Drum kits start in the $400 range and go to something with almost every attribute of a real kit in the $5,000 range.

The KAT PAD would be handy even with more gear so it might be worth using a stepping stone unless you're committed.

• I have an old Octapad that scratches my drumming itch, controlling the NI Abbey Road Drums. All I’d like is a proper kick pedal trigger, I’ve used a sustain pedal but it’s just not right.

I use it until I remember I’m not that good, and bring it out when I forget :)

• Just Do it! A pair of sticks in your hands hitting rubber, mesh, plastic or even kevlar is pure joy.
    See if you can try out some electronic setups in your local music store to get a feel for the different hitting surfaces. One might just "feel" better to you than another.
    I started out with a drumKAT, a Roland KD-7 kick trigger and a Roland FD-7 Hi-Hat Controller. That worked great for a few years. Ended up putting together a real drumkit because I fell in love with drumming. Beware.. this will probably happen to you. Still can't top playing a real drum kit. Too much fun! Eventually purchased a Roland TD-8 kit which I still use all the time. This kit had the mesh heads which I found to be quite good. Very responsive to drags and rolls etc... Bought 2 more acoustic kits because I realized I absolutely loved playing drums. Hooked!

If I was to start again, I would probably go with @McD 's suggestions. That kind of rig could be used later with an acoustic kit (hybrid) or in addition to a larger e-kit. Those pads could be used anywhere in your setup.

Good luck on your drumming journey.. you won't regret it.. it's been so much fun for this guitarist.. :)

• I’ll never understand where drummers are able to live and practice at full volume. The world needs great drummers to be sure, I’ve just never understood how they are able to practice their craft at full volume. Good luck OP!

• These are exciting times for e drums. The number and variety of choices has grown a lot in the past 5 years.

You can't go too wrong with a used Roland kit. They're built like tanks. I've had 2 kits I bought used and have had a great experience with them. My "latest" kit is a Roland TD 6V which was in production from 2003-2008. I bought it used about 5 years ago for $700 US and it's still working well. Because of the beating (literally) drums take, reliability is a big deal. There are other good manufacturers out there, but none with the reliability of Roland IMO.

• edited May 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Ult1mat3X said:
    This is related to the guitar thread. I am thinking of buying an electronic drum set. It pretty much has to be electronic as I plan on living in apartments for the next 5 years. I have taken about 2 months of lessons and practiced on and off on a couple of drum pads I bought. I feel that I would really like to hear what I am playing, even if it’s with earphones on an electronic drum set.

Does anyone have any tips on style, price limitations, brands, stores, etc?

Thank you!

• I just spent five minutes googling local rehearsal rooms, £14 for an hour including Drum kit hire, though you have to supply your own cymbals .
    Seems like a better bet than pissing off the neighbours.

• Alesis Mesh kit. $300, and they great.